Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I do love the.. idk, worldbuilding or whatever, that each super destroyer is just a gun that shoots helldivers at objectives.

You don't get a super destroyer, a super destroyer gets a full magazine of yous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The way they have ships on its own tab appears like they want to have multiple ships in the future

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lots of systems that you could one day swap out and dress up. Surprised there's no color/dye system to be honest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want a ship that shoots 12 Mes at a time but we're all half sized.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Phenotype posted:

Hey, Super Store rotated this morning and has the Light armor suit with the Extra Grenades modifier on it for 250. Picked that up right away. Also has a rather cool-looking suit that has 125 armor and only-slightly reduced speed and stamina, with 50% reduced explosion damage. I know they've got their hands full with the servers at the moment but I can't wait for them to fix the stats on armor, I'd like to see if the heavier ones are worth the trade-off in speed. I'm a huge nerd for spending way too much time fiddling with stats and items and stuff.

(also also the Light grenades suit is such a weird color scheme, I'm so glad I grabbed the black Stormtrooper looking helmet last week. They're usually pretty good about sticking to a couple different color schemes so you have a choice of matching helmets and capes, but a couple of the pieces are so unique that you're stuck wearing the suit's official helmet.)

Here is all the currently known armors in the game. The Super Store is rotating back through the same sets for now, it seems. Perhaps it will change on March 14th since Arrowhead said new content will drop on the Second Thursday of each month?

jokes posted:

Lots of systems that you could one day swap out and dress up. Surprised there's no color/dye system to be honest.

And yeah, color coordination is gonna be a bit challenging for some sets. I also kinda wish I could replace the shoulder pads on the Trench Engineer armor with something a bit more flush.

Fashion is Liberty.

jokes posted:

I do love the.. idk, worldbuilding or whatever, that each super destroyer is just a gun that shoots helldivers at objectives.

You don't get a super destroyer, a super destroyer gets a full magazine of yous.

I was very amused once I realized just how tiny these "Super Destroyers" are. They're more like Super Gunships or Super Corvettes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Every reinforce giving you a random voice is such a great touch that really sells how you aren’t respawning, you’re just controlling a different sacrifice to the altar of imperialism HERO OF SUPER EARTH who has a shelf life of 90 seconds

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, gotta do random voice imo. It rules

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I want to believe that my destroyers has a shitload of clones to helldive at my will but I guess the random helldivers thing works better in the lore.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

RandomBlue posted:

That grenade armor is a trap, there's better looking +grenade armor on page 3 of the normal warbonds for like 15 medals. Do not waste your super credits on that +grenade armor there unless you really like the look of it.

e: I also fell for the trap before I found the other armor in the war bonds, which I bought because it looks better.

The warbond armor is medium, the one in the shop is light - and on the lighter end of light armor at that. If that's a benefit or a drawback is up to you.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I want to believe that my destroyers has a shitload of clones to helldive at my will but I guess the random helldivers thing works better in the lore.

What's the difference between clones and random recruits given the exact same equipment and training and brainwashing?

The answer is simple: production costs. It is a small developer after all

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

raverrn posted:

The warbond armor is medium, the one in the shop is light - and on the lighter end of light armor at that. If that's a benefit or a drawback is up to you.

Ah, it's a different one then, here's the one I bought from the shop:

and here's the warbond version:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I am the same person who dies and who comes back down.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CelticPredator posted:

I am the same person who dies and who comes back down.

I will return stronger than before, inshallah

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Owl Inspector posted:

Every reinforce giving you a random voice is such a great touch that really sells how you aren’t respawning, you’re just controlling a different sacrifice to the altar of imperialism HERO OF SUPER EARTH who has a shelf life of 90 seconds

there needs to be an option to randomize your character's armor and equipment imo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mrmcd posted:

I'm starting to think the real mvp stratagem of this game is "running the gently caress away" but drat it is hard to get most players to understand that.

Was in a game last night with a couple dunces who kept getting into unnecessary fights with the robots(and they were bad at fighting them too) so by the time we were extracting we ran out of reinforcements from the sheer number of robots we had to fight and barely extracted

They really need to nerf those chainsaw bots, they are way too chunky for how common they are(doesn't help that bots have kind of wonky hit boxes in general)

Phenotype posted:

so I was thinkin about yknow, the lore as shown by the environment and enemies and stuff... The automatons are probably not just killbots, huh? It strikes me as significant that their big hitters tend to be the same T-600 skeletons as their ground troops, just stuffed into a suit of armor or riding the back of an AT-ST.

I mean, they're robots, right? They could just make an AT-ST with a robot brain inside if they wanted, with no unarmored dink on the back to get shot. And since they don't, there's likely some sort of civilization there, right? Like, they're not just "robots", it's a race of people who look like T-600s, and they're just reproducing more of themselves and building tanks and armor for themselves to use, rather than building different, more powerful robots.

And if it's a true civilization with real intelligence and culture, it's even more of a threat to Super Earth, and every last trace of them must be extinguished.

They're the offspring of the Cyborgs from the first game, their primary goal is to liberate their creators who Super Earth are using as slave labor

Retro42 posted:

Something about turrets in this game that just makes me happy. Thematically it's perfect that they just don't give a gently caress what's between them and their target and will happily tear any helldiver apart to kill things for Democracy.

Shame they'll waste a bunch of their limited ammo targeting drop ships they can't meaningfully damage(and shooting down drop ships rarely has any meaningful effect anyways)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How do you, like, receive helldivers lore? Is there a wiki or something?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

jokes posted:

How do you, like, receive helldivers lore? Is there a wiki or something?

There's little interactables hidden in each level

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Just split the difference in the most horrifying way possible: Each reinforcement is a fresh recruit from the imperial backwater, but a transmitter in the suit is constantly sending a streaming backup of your consciousness and memories to the destroyer. When a new pod gets thawed out the neural backup is overwritten onto whoever was in the pod, so that an elite soldier's skills and experience aren't lost if they're killed.

Sort of like "resleeving" in Altered Carbon, but instead of vat grown clones they just use poor people.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Shame they'll waste a bunch of their limited ammo targeting drop ships they can't meaningfully damage(and shooting down drop ships rarely has any meaningful effect anyways)

The rover does this too, and theyll waste ammo shooting at bot respawners.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's little interactables hidden in each level

Yeah the worldbuilding is all just scattered around in dialogue, loading screens, interactables in the missions, etc etc.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What about the lore from Helldivers 1?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

drrockso20 posted:

They're the offspring of the Cyborgs from the first game, their primary goal is to liberate their creators who Super Earth are using as slave labor

Sure, sure, someone else mentioned that too, but like -- it doesn't seem like a single AI Skynet that's just building warmachines, it seems like they are specifically producing T-600 skeleton bots and then outfitting them with tanks and rocket packs and armor and whatever. To me, it seems like a sign that they're more of an actual civilization with a culture and everything. If it was just a race of killbots that want to kill stuff, they wouldn't be beholden to the T-600 look, they'd just churn out whatever giant tanks and walkers and stuff a robot brain inside the armor. But no, they're reproducing more of themselves, they're not just creating whatever killer robots would work best, just like we reproduce more humans and generally aren't creating enormous fleshy hulks with a brain inside.

RandomBlue posted:

Ah, it's a different one then, here's the one I bought from the shop:

and here's the warbond version:

Yeah, it's specifically a light armor version in the shop. I usually like heavier armor, but since it's not working yet I was playing around with the light armor that gives more throw range and man, that extra speed and stamina is really noticeable. I generally wear that orange warbond grenade armor you posted, though, so I'm looking forward to trying the faster version after work. I even bought the helmet with an orange stripe for 35 medals off the premium warbond so I wouldn't look like a loser wearing a complete set.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

jokes posted:

What about the lore from Helldivers 1?

Ships had an encyclopedia on each encountered enemy.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

jokes posted:

Yeah at first they seem like massive capital ships....but in reality they consist of 3 things: a hangar bay that barely fits an Eagle and a dropship, a cold storage room filled with frozen Helldivers, and an engineering bay where they keep the ordnance, and crammed in there a tiny command deck. It really reinforces the idea that the Super Destroyer is the real weapon and the Helldivers are just one of the many things it shoots.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah, gotta do random voice imo. It rules

Hope they start adding randomization of size and shape too.

Phenotype posted:

If it was just a race of killbots that want to kill stuff, they wouldn't be beholden to the T-600 look

I just think they're doing this because they're trying to scare humans. Same reason why they strap human skulls to some of their bots and make them spikey.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 22, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

there needs to be an option to randomize your character's armor and equipment imo

This would be amazing. Couple it with loadouts.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The way the bots take forever after seeing you to actually open fire (if you don't shoot first) and keep shooting wildly in the direction they last saw you after they lose LOS reminds me of Vietnam draftees shooting high into the treeline because they didn't actually want to kill anybody but they couldn't go back with a full weapon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Robot High Command bolts a chainsaw to a draftee terminator

"this had better not come back with any fuel left"

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Baiting a charger into a minefield by jetpacking over all the mines was the coolest i felt in the game for a long time and I love it for that alone :hellyeah:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

This would be amazing. Couple it with loadouts.

Helldiver gun game would be a good map modifier

Hope you enjoyed your one gatling turret and railcannon strike because those stratagem slots are now landmines and 380mm artillery

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Randomizing your weapons, at least, would be fantastic. All of them are good and fun!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"This 380MM HE Barrage sucks!"
*chucks it over my shoulder*

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
In another timeline this could have been the best version of the EVE Online infantry combat game. Helldivers playing the part of ground based capsuleers that have their consciousness transition from clone to clone as they plummet down to the battlefield.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are all of the stratagems sticky? Some of them seem to stick and other ones seem to bounce?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

raverrn posted:

No idea who or what the Scorcher is for. The game seems to put a ton of worth into the 'explosive' tag and the gun's tiny, tiny AoE. The only upside I can find is that you can kill striders from the front - but it takes 2-3 shots to manage it. You're basically never going to hit more than one enemy with it, and it's weak enough that you might not one-shot-kill hunters and basic automatons. It might be pretty good against spewers, but you can't see the enemy compliment before you drop. Just ??? all around.

Yeah, even if you go in with the goal to use them primarily/exclusively against the specific targets weak to explosive damage, it still very much doesn't seem worth it because they're not even very good at that. Like sure I could take an explosive primary and hammer charger butts with it for half a minute until it goes splat, or I could simply use an EAT/Recoilless/Autocannon/Railgun to achieve that instantly. Sure, in theory it'd be neat to have the support slot freed up for an anti-horde weapon, but the explosive primaries are just too mediocre even at their intended niche to make that trade-off seem worth it.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The main character is the ship.

You name the ship, not your (first) helldiver. Helldivers are nothing but meat drones the ship sends out to advance its mission of dispensing FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY. All of the upgrades you buy are for the ship or things the ship does. All the calldowns are either fired directly from the ship, or from the parasite craft hosted by the ship. All the warbond equipment you unlock is stored in the ship so it can be bolted onto freshly unthawed helldivers.

What I'm trying to say is that we need more customization options for the ship. Color channels, camo patterns, random trophies bolted onto the hull, counters for mission difficulty/count breakpoints, etc. Warframe this poo poo up to 11/10.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I started to get upset at being one-shot by certain enemies (stupid bile spewers and RPG robots) then it hit me: armor is currently bugged and it will be less of a problem when armor is finally unfucked.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol the sword terminators can block your melee attack

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The light armor situation has at least made me very, very good at running away from bugs, hardly ever die to them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

sushibandit posted:

The main character is the ship.

You name the ship, not your (first) helldiver. Helldivers are nothing but meat drones the ship sends out to advance its mission of dispensing FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY. All of the upgrades you buy are for the ship or things the ship does. All the calldowns are either fired directly from the ship, or from the parasite craft hosted by the ship. All the warbond equipment you unlock is stored in the ship so it can be bolted onto freshly unthawed helldivers.

What I'm trying to say is that we need more customization options for the ship. Color channels, camo patterns, random trophies bolted onto the hull, counters for mission difficulty/count breakpoints, etc. Warframe this poo poo up to 11/10.

The catch is, it's not your ship either! There's a finite combination of ship names. You're probably not the one controlling it the whole time, that's the Democracy Officer. They just load all of your stuff into a ship with the name that you pick to not the other way around!

The Democracy Officer is really in charge, the fact that you think it's your ship is the illusion!