Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Slum Loser posted:

Oh I'm looking out for good skip tags but not really getting them. Doubling my $4 and getting free rerolls plus beating a boss on lucky draws is not attractive.

Sure, but the thing is even those "bad" skip tags are probably better than the alternative. Beating the small blind with the black deck usually only gives you $4 anyhow; the reroll is worth at least as much as the $4-5 reward on the big blind, and while it might wind up getting wasted that probably means you found what you needed on the first shop draw and can muddle through for long enough to get going. Yes, the ante 1 boss fight is not very comfortable this way--but there's no guarantee that you'd find anything useful in the first two shops anyhow, and it's entirely possible to biff your draws and die before you even make it to the boss. So you can sweat out the first two fights and grind out a slightly better chance of making it through ante 1, or you can just mash skip and cut to the make-or-break point.

(EDIT: Just to be clear, yes, starting with the black deck is just going to suck regardless of what you do. This is just what I found worked to get the clear.)

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

So you can sweat out the first two fights and grind out a slightly better chance of making it through ante 1, or you can just mash skip and cut to the make-or-break point.

Fair point! This could be philosophical divergence, I don't mind sweating out the first two rounds just to see what kind of jokers are available.

But remembering the anaglyph deck, maybe your approach is better. I'll try it after my next loss.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Veryslightlymad posted:

After what I learned about multi triggering, I now need to try a deck with a ton of red sealed steel cards.

Yeah, I had the joker that gives held kings 1.5x, a red sealed steel king and the one that triggers face cards twice. I only had one king like that, though, so the run only got to 12.

Slum Loser posted:

The black deck is giving me a rough time. You think one extra joker slot is worth anything and then you die penniless for your hubris.

I've never restarted runs or died on ante 1 or 2 this often, or just scraped by into ante 5 and later.

Only a good flush or better can beat the first hand in one round, which feels necessary to have a shot at buying the very cool poo poo you need to continue or make use of the deck power... it's a good "gently caress it" deck I guess because it forces you play really tactically but also just spend money knowing you need everything to make those 3 default hands count...

I can consistently win in 1 hand on the first round, it's just that even doing that doesn't give you something worth enough half of the time. And that's just on white stake, going up just one difficulty means small blinds aren't even worth doing for black deck most of the time.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

God drat it, be warned, I loaded this up on my Steam Deck after putting about 12 hours in on desktop, and it did something fucky with the cloud save and erased all my progress. Not read of anyone else having the same problem and not sure how it happened, but I'm back to square one. Oh well. (It's also way too small for my tired old eyes on the Deck, so I really wish I hadn't bothered.)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Gold deck seems strongest of the five basics imo. There are so many ridiculous econ cards that spending down early (even with credit card) is just a super strong way to play. I'm probably gonna try to do all the difficulties with it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pipski posted:

God drat it, be warned, I loaded this up on my Steam Deck after putting about 12 hours in on desktop, and it did something fucky with the cloud save and erased all my progress. Not read of anyone else having the same problem and not sure how it happened, but I'm back to square one. Oh well. (It's also way too small for my tired old eyes on the Deck, so I really wish I hadn't bothered.)

There is an Unlock All option in profiles, but that doesn't seem super fun on your main profile.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Unfortunate to get the spectral card for a legendary joker when I'm on my best run yet and don't have anything I can drop. I could have done Smiley Face, but it was polychrome.

Very fun two pair build. I got the jokers for free rerolls, stacking mult on rerolls, stacking mult for two pair, and stacking chips for four cards super early so I could scale all of them. Survived on just those numbers until I could get some X mult jokers. First time getting to over a million on a single hand.

Pipski posted:

When they released there was a bug where they were only syncing your settings and not your unlocks for the cloud save. If you played on PC before 1.0.0j and Steam Deck after 1.0.0j, then that's what did it. I saw someone in their Discord mention it. Really sucks, but it shouldn't happen again.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
That cloud sync bug happened to me because I'm a balatro degenerate who bought this game a minute after it released and then played it for like 2 hours straight before trying it later on another computer.

Skipping blinds worked very well (thank you the holy poopacy) and I beat the black deck with some judicious playing and significant work from a throwback joker. I still haven't gotten the anaglyph deck...

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The telescope deck is so much worse than the black deck. Having only 1 card slot really sucks since it nerfs your tarot cards a lot, and the bonus to your most used deck takes a while to get going and isn't as big of a deal as other deck bonuses.

Elman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 22, 2024

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
loling at steam reviews. babby's first roguelike

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

Gold deck seems strongest of the five basics imo. There are so many ridiculous econ cards that spending down early (even with credit card) is just a super strong way to play. I'm probably gonna try to do all the difficulties with it.

Personally I feel that the game's economy is easy enough and the point of diminishing returns is low enough that I don't find a lot of benefit in the head start. I think blue is the strongest basic deck; you get an economic edge of $1 per round from the extra unspent hand, and more importantly the safety net of having an extra hand to play lets you get away with being greedier than most decks can afford. I do appreciate that the game has enough moving parts to accommodate different playstyles though.

Checkerboard deck looks hard to beat, though, that's an insane amount of consistency.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Managed my first win in the laziest way possible, on the back of the joker who gives you 1x Multiplier per empty joker space. I got one early and then the duplicate joker tarot right away and then just loving coasted to victory.

Also "Flush Full House" is my new favorite poker hand.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have found the reward decks harder to use than any of the basics. Haven't tried the higher stakes to get all the other reward decks, but that's what I see.

I also feel like Black, Yellow, and Green are generally all better than Red/Blue.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

barnold posted:

skill issue 😔

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

Hit a wall on black stake for a bit but finally broke through with massive tarot generation. Stupid leaf made me sell my Fortune Teller so I couldn't take it super deep in endless though. Does anyone know if your run is just bricked if you fill up on unsellable jokers?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Another win /w the Pair of Trousers Joker + x lvl17 Two Pairs.

Think when I finally crapped out in endless the trousers were up to a x96 multiplier :lol:

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

barnold posted:

There's a review like this for every single roguelike that ever existed and the problem is always that they don't bother to utilize all the mechanics that help you win. I bet there is a way to win the majority of seeds, on difficulty 1 there's probably a way to win every time.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

rath posted:

Hit a wall on black stake for a bit but finally broke through with massive tarot generation. Stupid leaf made me sell my Fortune Teller so I couldn't take it super deep in endless though. Does anyone know if your run is just bricked if you fill up on unsellable jokers?

Can't prove it, but my assumption is "no, but it would be very hard".

Your hands' base values and Jokers should both still be active.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
how does smeared joker work if you have a suit specific bonus? does it count if it's the majority suit?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
drat this game. Gonna have to buy the switch version so I can play it at work...

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

err posted:

how does smeared joker work if you have a suit specific bonus? does it count if it's the majority suit?

Smeared Joker would count all qualifying cards. If you have Lusty Joker and Smeared Joker and play a flush containing diamonds and hearts, it should count them all.

Keep in mind, this applies for debuffs as well.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
made it to orange stake with the checkered deck. this poo poo's crazy

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

WarEternal posted:

There's a review like this for every single roguelike that ever existed and the problem is always that they don't bother to utilize all the mechanics that help you win. I bet there is a way to win the majority of seeds, on difficulty 1 there's probably a way to win every time.
I've won my first six runs since release and in a month everyone will be much better at the game than I am now - winning 95% of the time on normal mode probably wont even be hard for most players once they're experienced. I admit I expect to do a lot of fishing for a good start at the high difficulties though.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 22, 2024

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this game should have a unreal tournament style announcer

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Hell Yeah posted:

this game should have a unreal tournament style announcer

i'd pay 30$ for this

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Beat the Ghost deck without even using the starting hex spectral card. The first 2 jokers I got where tailor made to build a flush deck so I ended up selling hex.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kuros posted:

Smeared Joker would count all qualifying cards. If you have Lusty Joker and Smeared Joker and play a flush containing diamonds and hearts, it should count them all.

Keep in mind, this applies for debuffs as well.

I was rather unhappy to see that debuffs applied to regular wild cards as well.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My worst foe is the Psychic. Not because he's hard, but because I am too careless to remember I need to play 5 and it cancels the whole hand.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Can't prove it, but my assumption is "no, but it would be very hard".

Your hands' base values and Jokers should both still be active.

Damnit, you just made me realize I could have kept the joker and won with blank cards. Most of the run was trying to find the worst possible high card hands to farm more tarots instead of overscoring.

e: actually I don't think that math works out

rath fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 22, 2024

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think playing only disabled cards makes none of your triggers go off the hand is just void. Not 100% as to exactly how the rules work.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I actually just did that where I played a heart flush during a boss where all hearts were debuffed. The hand played fine and I scored a bunch of points off jokers, you just don't get any card specific points/bonuses.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok, my bad - I guess I'm confusing the behavior with what the mouth does (or at least did in the demo) when you play a new hand where the hand just gets ignored. Ty, worth keeping min mind.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It actually means that the bosses who debuff a specific suit are really pretty easy to beat still if you have the right jokers to force through the limited base hand points.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Do note that if you play less than five cards against the psychic, your hand is completely and totally disregarded, even if it was one card just to trigger DNA.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

sirtommygunn posted:

Put your your xmultiplier jokers to the right so they're applied last, it will make a big difference in your score.

Thanks; current run has a Polychrome Blueprint doubling a Foil Baseball (that itself has 4.5 X) and it's demolishing blinds even with my other meh multiplier increases.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Blueprint is just ridiculous. Best card in game by far imo. You can move it around to double certain econ/tarot generation cards on the relevant turns too.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

How are people getting so many foil, negative, polychrome?? I had the 2x voucher and despite rerolling about 3 times per shop I only saw one foil for my previous run.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

probably skipping blinds, standard packs, and tarot cards. what i've noticed about this game is you really need to thoroughly use every different element. jokers are obvious, but you need to even be buying standard packs or vouchers, even if they're not that exciting. planet cards are also really important.
just got my first win!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

How are people getting so many foil, negative, polychrome?? I had the 2x voucher and despite rerolling about 3 times per shop I only saw one foil for my previous run.
Speaking personally, picking wheel of fortune every time even when its wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wheel of Fortune has only ever worked for me like twice. It's crazy how often it doesn't hit for a 1 in 4 chance