Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I mean I'd just use commuter sheds and freight flows. The data gives an idea of the economic ties and can be extrapolated into regions.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-07/u-s-megaregions-revealed-via-commuting-data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nobody in Europe will understand that, needs more bananas:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i like driving past the banana boat on 495 in wilmington :shobon:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Why does Delaware have so many goddamn bananas?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Mons and Namur: I've only been to each city a few times in my life, but I do agree that they're nice places to visit, especially Mons in a relative sense, since it's in (or immediately adjacent to, depending on your definition) the Borinage, one of the most economically depressed areas of Western Europe. I tend to prefer smaller, more provincial cities over the bigger, crowded ones, and it doesn't get much more provincial than those two.

Thanks! That was a super detailed Belgian effort post, as you often do, ha.

Liege sucks right now, maybe you haven’t been recently but like half the city has been exploded due to their tram construction, with every house and business along the line basically shuttered and decaying. Large parts literally look like a city just recently out of a civil war. But yeah maybe it was okay before, I’d never been before going this May. I was driving back and forth between CH and NL maybe 8 times a year the last four years - now done with that - and I was often doing an overnight stay somewhere along the way, so I’ve seen a lot of Wallonie, Luxembourg, and Alsace-Lorraine recently. I see why nowhere except Alsace actually gets foreign tourists (plus Luxembourg, for country-counters), but a lot of it was pretty nice, if not mind blowingly unique.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The USDA estimates that approximately 166 million citizens, 55% of the population, live in a banana desert.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ror posted:

The USDA estimates that approximately 166 million citizens, 55% of the population, live in a banana desert.

Except the Delawareans, who apparently live like kings in lands swimming with corporate P.O. boxes, bananas, and scrapple.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Delaware also has diners that are lies and are not diners. It is beyond the reach of civilization.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Streets of credit card companies that are actually just unoccupied houses full of bananas.

Banana plate trusts.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Pesky rising sea levels? Dont worry, the Dutch have a solution

(no, it is not going to be built. technically possible, financially impossible)

edit: additional maps from the research paper:

drk fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 22, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Guavanaut posted:

Streets of credit card companies that are actually just unoccupied houses full of bananas.

Banana plate trusts.

Delaware is where the banks are headquartered. The credit card companies are all in South Dakota now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Nobody in Europe will understand that, needs more bananas:

I think I have the comprehensive tool for understanding Europe:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I couldn't figure out how to find the original version, but this belongs here.
https://twitter.com/chisehatorichad/status/1760348740672421961

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

drk posted:

(no, it is not going to be built. technically possible, financially impossible)
That's the European Infrastructure Story.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

im the gladio banana

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

The Slavs are going to be so mad you put them in the gay banana

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guavanaut posted:

That's the European Infrastructure Story.

Should've let the Germans dam the med

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

mobby_6kl posted:

:sickos:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I probably learned it from this thread, but the fact that the Mediterranean was actually dry 5.5 million years ago and then was loving flooded still blows my mind.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I couldn't figure out how to find the original version, but this belongs here.
https://twitter.com/chisehatorichad/status/1760348740672421961

This is genuinely terrible, but at least they pronounced the C in Cyprus correctly :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

I like that they're apparently going to the bother of extending the suez canal despite the fact that since you built the giant loving walls everywhere the only place you can deliver to is southern italy and turkey.

What happens to corinth if you drop the med 200m? The canal's gonna look loving stupid just a giant trench lmao. Put a road along the bottom and make the world's most impractical cut-and-fill motorway.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 22, 2024

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I like that they're apparently going to the bother of extending the suez canal despite the fact that since you built the giant loving walls everywhere the only place you can deliver to is southern italy and turkey.

What happens to corinth if you drop the med 200m? The canal's gonna look loving stupid just a giant trench lmao. Put a road along the bottom and make the world's most impractical cut-and-fill motorway.
Presumably there would be a bunch of mega locks letting you around all the other mega dams.

I like that they made allowances for Venice for some reason. Like someone pointed out that one city as something nice that would be lost and the designer was like "oh yeah, we'll save that one" while not caring at all about literally every other picturesque coastal city in the entire Mediterranean. I'd respect the plan more if they just told Venice to get hosed and drained it too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also all the port infrastructure doesn't work because you moved the coast, so you have to rebuild all of that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BonHair posted:

I probably learned it from this thread, but the fact that the Mediterranean was actually dry 5.5 million years ago and then was loving flooded still blows my mind.

Several times! It's probable that the block-evaporate-flood cycle repeated a few times. The Zanclean was just the one that stuck.

I got fascinated by the Messinian Salinity Crisis a while back and did some basic (probably wrong) calculations about what conditions at the floor of a dry Mediterranean Sink would be like, since the further below sea level you go the denser and hotter the atmosphere gets (adiabatic heating). I wound up with a figure of 80 degrees Celsius and ~1.5 atmospheres. Combine that with the salt evaporites that would make up the majority of the rock bed and "soil" for lack of a better word and you wind up with something that would be very close to Hell.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I know that the history of this project is somewhat problematic, AND it would probably have loads of horrible consequences, BUT ... it seems kinda cool?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Getting to draw the new borders in the Adriatic would be a lot of fun

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
My favorite part of Atlantropa is the ridiculous canal just to keep Venice on life support. Because that is clearly reason enough to dig and maintain one of the longest canals in the world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It doesn't even need to be a canal, if the purpose is to shift water to venice so it looks like venice, you could just make a lake and bring the water in from somewhere else. It would probably be a lot easier to just build an aqueduct and make it fresh water rather than pumping it backwards up 200m of canal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

distortion park posted:

Getting to draw the new borders in the Adriatic would be a lot of fun
Given the era it'd probably be less 'fun' and more

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It doesn't even need to be a canal, if the purpose is to shift water to venice so it looks like venice, you could just make a lake and bring the water in from somewhere else. It would probably be a lot easier to just build an aqueduct and make it fresh water rather than pumping it backwards up 200m of canal.

But think of Venice's maritime economy! Which obviously will keep rocking as usual if we force every boat going in and out of the lagoon to go through 80 canal locks.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
There is art of Atlantropa for the Hearts of Iron mod where the nazis win. It looks cool until you remember oh oops this is hell world.

The Gibraltar Dam

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I looked up why there was a special solution for Venice thinking it was a situation like the (probably apocryphal) story of Stimson saving Kyoto from being bombed because of his visit there. There’s a master’s thesis about the plan that says that the proponent of the plan originally thought Venice was “fit for the lethal chamber” and only changed it when people complained enough.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Several times! It's probable that the block-evaporate-flood cycle repeated a few times. The Zanclean was just the one that stuck.

I got fascinated by the Messinian Salinity Crisis a while back and did some basic (probably wrong) calculations about what conditions at the floor of a dry Mediterranean Sink would be like, since the further below sea level you go the denser and hotter the atmosphere gets (adiabatic heating). I wound up with a figure of 80 degrees Celsius and ~1.5 atmospheres. Combine that with the salt evaporites that would make up the majority of the rock bed and "soil" for lack of a better word and you wind up with something that would be very close to Hell.

At the deepest part, yeah, but for most of the sea floor it's gonna be "just" 65–70 degrees.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wouldn't Venice just become a normal inland city just like every other port town?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Wouldn't Venice just become a normal inland city just like every other port town?
No Venice gets its own dam and canal lol

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Lemniscate Blue posted:

wait, how loving deep would that be?!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

redleader posted:

wait, how loving deep would that be?!

The average depth is 1.5 km. Max depth is 5.1 km. For reference, the Qattara Depression, in Egypt, has an average elevation of -60 m and minimum elevation of -133 m, relative to sea level.

I'm also quite curious how deep you need to go for conditions like that! What do the calculations look like?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vavrek posted:

The average depth is 1.5 km. Max depth is 5.1 km. For reference, the Qattara Depression, in Egypt, has an average elevation of -60 m and minimum elevation of -133 m, relative to sea level.

I'm also quite curious how deep you need to go for conditions like that! What do the calculations look like?

This was a few years ago so I don't really remember, sorry. I probably found some equation that used the ideal gas law to describe air pressure and temperature decreasing with altitude, and plugged in negative numbers.

If I have time tonight I may just see if I can retrace my steps but it was all strictly amateur stuff. I'm not an atmospheric scientist or anything.

EDIT: Oh hey here's somebody who actually knows what they're talking about working the same problem:

quote:

The concept is nothing revolutionary or even-ground-breaking. It’s basic atmospheric thermodynamics. The dry-adiabatic lapse rate (change in temperature of an unsaturated air parcel with height) is 9.8 degrees C per km. That assumes the air isn’t being warmed or cooled by anything but sinking or lifting. We simply take that pretty common summer day’s temperature on the Libyan coast down a dry-adiabatic line 4 km (about 40 degrees C warming). That gives us a temperature of about 75 degrees C at 2.5 miles below current sea level, or about 167 degrees F.

A really hot summer day of 45 degrees C (113 degrees F) sometimes happens there on the modern Libyan coast. That yields an air temperature near 85 degrees C (185 degrees F) along the presumed Messinian-era waterfront! If the Mediterranean dried up completely–river water evaporating before even getting to the deepest parts of the abyss–then temperatures may have crowned 90 degrees C (194 degrees F) on the very worst few days in that basin. That’s still under boiling point for current sea level, as well as for the higher air pressure (1600-1700 mb, roughly, compared to 1013 at current sea level)–but unsurvivable for more than a minute or so without protection.

https://stormeyes.org/wp/2013/12/the-hottest-of-days-on-modern-earth/

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 23, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Um, arent there rivers flowing into the med that would fill in some of that lowest altitude land with lakes or smaller seas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Um, arent there rivers flowing into the med that would fill in some of that lowest altitude land with lakes or smaller seas?

Depending on the flow rate and climate, evaporation can happen faster than infill. It's actually super common in geological terms - it's how you get salt dome formations.