Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Huh, Russ-chassis Basilisk and Medusa.

It's a solar aux special. Given their role, they wanted environmentally sealed vehicles so the standard basilisks/medusas weren't good enough.

This is what makes the fully detailed interior insane. No one will see it unless you magnetize an armor panel or something. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
it's funny thinking about Artillery being used in environments where environmentally sealed vehicles are being used

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Tangy Zizzle posted:

it's funny thinking about Artillery being used in environments where environmentally sealed vehicles are being used

Most real life artillery vehicles since like the 50s can be environmentally sealed, so why not

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I guess maybe it's the "solar" part of the name that gets me

Are they shooting artillery on the moons of jupiter or some poo poo or what

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Saturn, but yes.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

[url]

Even then the box itself is just regular Marine models.

I looked at the picture before reading your text and thought to myself "is there a single Dark Angels unit in that, did they even use the upgrade sprues"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
shouldrpads on the basic marines maybe, they look textured.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/22/dark-angels-combat-patrol-who-are-the-vengeful-brethren-and-how-do-they-play/

They must be running out of material when it comes to hyping up the Dangles, because now they're breaking down their new Combat Patrol box out of all things. Instead of just mentioning it like before.

Not loving this trend of making every faction's combat patrol significantly shittier with every release.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

AnEdgelord posted:

Not loving this trend of making every faction's combat patrol significantly shittier with every release.

I look forward to the Thousand Sons getting 60 Tzaangors and, begrudgingly, one shaman.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And a daemon unit of some kind, just because.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Nazzadan posted:

I looked at the picture before reading your text and thought to myself "is there a single Dark Angels unit in that, did they even use the upgrade sprues"

Apparently it comes with the old DA upgrade frame as well, and even then they didn't use the Sgt model with the powersword from it which was used on the cover of the old Combat Patrol

Weird feelings over it, I don't think it's a bad set in itself, but I feel like DA armies now are incentivised away from any kind of Gravis (if captains and chaplains got errata'd to have the Deathwing tag that could change) plus the captain can't lead anyone in there. Bladeguard are just good (but would really benefit from the heads on the new upgrade sprue) and it's sad I feel better about getting them than Companions for game purposes. Hellblasters are the best fit for DAs but plasma is second to robes and stuff in terms of DA theming. I assume they are the monopose ones so won't even take upgrade frame shoulders.

I already have the Gravis Captain and 10 Hellblasters, I guess I might pick it up if I'm desperate for Bladeguard.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

AnEdgelord posted:

:laughs in votan:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Pinwiz11 posted:

:laughs in votan:

To make the Deathwatch patrol worse, they'd have no models, just a handwritten note saying F You

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
The Gravis Captain makes the DA combat patrol very strange. Pop in a Judiciar or Chaplain or Captain instead and it’s a very workable beginner’s box. Nothing super dark angely about it, but perfectly fine if you’re getting into the hobby or space marines generally (which is how all the 9th Ed boxes were too). But the Gravis Captain needs totally different units to join.

Probably the Blood Angels box comes out with all Gravis units and a Phobos Captain, and then Deathwatch is all Phobos and a normal captain.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh like how you get a boss in mega armor and there's nothing for it to go with in the combat patrol? At least it's a very cool looking model.

What I'm saying is that they need to release a new kit for nobs in mega armor.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

I don't like how the gun is jammed to the very edge of the hull, loading ergonomics have to be awful. Though given it's a resin kit, I suppose any warping in the parts can be explained away by off-axis recoil forces causing damage to the chassis. :)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Decorus posted:

I don't like how the gun is jammed to the very edge of the hull, loading ergonomics have to be awful. Though given it's a resin kit, I suppose any warping in the parts can be explained away by off-axis recoil forces causing damage to the chassis. :)

It really looks like it's having an erection :awesome:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Decorus posted:

Though given it's a resin kit, I suppose any warping in the parts can be explained away by off-axis recoil forces causing damage to the chassis. :)

Plastic kit, given there is no mention of resin in the article.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/22/dark-angels-combat-patrol-who-are-the-vengeful-brethren-and-how-do-they-play/

They must be running out of material when it comes to hyping up the Dangles, because now they're breaking down their new Combat Patrol box out of all things. Instead of just mentioning it like before.

You can't fool me, those are just Salamanders!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Glad I snagged the old Dangels CP when I did.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Between this and Leviathan, we've got at least two boxes so far with characters that can join any of the units, good job!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tangy Zizzle posted:

I think its Solar as in Macharius and not System.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The guy from 10000 years later?

It was a title, since he was lord commander of the solar segmentum, which is also the case here.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 22, 2024

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Cooked Auto posted:

Plastic kit, given there is no mention of resin in the article.

Fair enough, that would certainly be nice. The web store says it's a resin kit for advanced models.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Decorus posted:

Fair enough, that would certainly be nice. The web store says it's a resin kit for advanced models.

That's the old kit which has been around for years. Solar aux first came out in like 2015. This new one isn't out yet, this was just a preview or announcement as they're transitioning the resin range into plastic.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That's the old one, the one they announced today is the replacement.

efb

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Ok the Legion Basilisk looks way cooler. Hope there's a way to field one in the codex!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They've been pretty adamant in the past that beyond the Kratos no other future 30k unit is going to be get 40k rules, and the games are wholly separate things.
But they've also said you're free to use them as proxies or count-as models.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Safety Factor posted:

That's the old kit which has been around for years. Solar aux first came out in like 2015. This new one isn't out yet, this was just a preview or announcement as they're transitioning the resin range into plastic.

Ah, my mistake. I didn't realise that there was an old resin version and got confused by someone mentioning the other resin Basilisk. Thanks to both of you for clearing that up.

Even though I'm not a huge fun of this kit, it's nice that they're making alternate versions of IG vehicles that are also reasonably affordable.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

They've been pretty adamant in the past that beyond the Kratos no other future 30k unit is going to be get 40k rules, and the games are wholly separate things.
But they've also said you're free to use them as proxies or count-as models.

Sure, but what I mean is that I hope Iron Warrior-themed Detachment gets access to Imperial Guard vehicles like they did in olden times, specifically the Basilisk, whereupon I will use the Legion Basilisk as a proxy for the current plastic kit.

Seems pretty unlikely but a boy can dream.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think its Solar as in Macharius and not System.

No, it is the solar system. After all the Thunder Warriors got killed for winning the Unification Warz, the next big pushes were for the gene-labs on Luna (where the Luna Wolves earned their name) and the planets past Mars (Mechanicum had Mars established already), so the Saturnine Rams actually did fight on Saturn's moons and stations before they established the Solar Auxilia.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AnEdgelord posted:

It's because fighting a dread is a very unfun experience in Combat Patrol

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
also combat patrol is an entry point. getting ten models in your $150 box with the old combat patrol feels kinda bad if you don't yet know that nobody anywhere needs more than five intercessors

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The old DA combat patrol was good for a "I need a cheap Redemptor for my meta armylist" POV. The new one is much better for a more balanced small game format and start of a new collection.

I'm not looking forward to the new GSC & WE combat patrols though, because there's no way those will be replaced with bundles of better value.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
At least Intercessor bodies are useful now that you can slap extra chainswords, pistols and jump packs on them to make jump pack intercessors which rule

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Two semi-lore questions as I glue nuns together:

1. Has anything been written in the lore about Sirius (as in, the star)?

2. What the hell are these vaguely T-shaped backpacks supposed to be? Life support? Emperortron packs?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Sisters get scaled down Space Marine gear. The backpacks are power packs and they contain a fusion reactor that powers their armour indefinitely. A great example of this is the Dawn of War 1 opening cinematic where the the sarge loses his pack and in combination with his wounds is visibly much slower as he climbs the hill.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Ah hell my brother was rear ended the other day and all his models were in the car. Nearly every model broke or fell off it's base, 1k of Thousand Sons and a Kommando kill team

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gameplay wise there isn't much difference in power armor as sisters also get a 3+ armor save.

Lore wise it's supposed to be the black carapace that makes the difference for space marines that lets them do a triple backflip somersault or whatever. However what's the favorite gymnastics routine for a given chapter does not seem to be a popular topic of discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Super Waffle posted:

Ah hell my brother was rear ended the other day and all his models were in the car. Nearly every model broke or fell off it's base, 1k of Thousand Sons and a Kommando kill team

Dang that sounds like one hell of a collision. Nothing some superglue can't fix. The models, of course, I'm hoping your bro is ok.