Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

The e-brake is humanity hitting the brick wall of limits to growth.

Releasing the brake is global thermonuclear war. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Sounds like "Koyaanisqatsi" would be a great counter-punch to that. I highly recommend it for anyone who's never seen it, it's kinda a perfect encapsulation of the industrialized world right as the shine is starting to wear off and people are starting to wonder for the first time "what the gently caress have we done" and it's set to some of the best music ever written

My wife and I watched this last night, it owns, hauntingly beautiful and horrifying. Felt like an appropriate end to the day after checking out an exhibit about the loss of polar sea ice at the art gallery. Sure, we're destroying the planet, but the content is better than ever.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Karach posted:

My wife and I watched this last night, it owns, hauntingly beautiful and horrifying. Felt like an appropriate end to the day after checking out an exhibit about the loss of polar sea ice at the art gallery. Sure, we're destroying the planet, but the content is better than ever.

You’re lucky. I was going to take the missus to one of those exhibits, but all I saw was a puddle. :(

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

this is some good music

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-weighs-challenge-epa-good-neighbor-air-pollution-rule-rcna139630

quote:

Supreme Court seems willing to block EPA 'good neighbor' air pollution rule
Conservative justices lean toward blocking an Environmental Protection Agency regulation aimed at reducing air pollution that crosses state lines and contributes to smog.

WASHINGTON — Conservative members of the Supreme Court on Wednesday seemed to be leaning toward blocking a Biden administration policy aimed at reducing air pollution that crosses from one state to another and creates harmful smog.

The court heard arguments in four related cases involving challenges to the policy brought by three Republican-led states — Indiana, Ohio and West Virginia — and various affected industries, including natural gas pipeline operators.

The Supreme Court, which has a 6-3 conservative majority, is skeptical of broad exertions of federal power on regulatory issues, including the environment.

Based on the oral arguments, it appears there is a majority to block the regulation in question while litigation continues in lower courts.

Several justices suggested the Environmental Protection Agency had failed to adequately explain why court rulings in separate cases that have blocked application of the rule against 12 of the 23 states it covers does not undermine its overall validity.

"It's just not explained," conservative Justice Brett Kavanaugh said. The agency "pretended nothing happened," he added.

Other conservative justices raised similar concerns, with Justice Neil Gorsuch saying that when the EPA found out the plan might not apply to all the states "nobody got an opportunity to comment on that" as part of the rule-making process.

The court's three liberal justices appeared united in believing it would be wrong for the court to intervene in the litigation when no lower court has yet ruled.

Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson said it would be "fairly extraordinary" for the court to step in.

"I'm trying to understand what the emergency is that warrants Supreme Court intervention at this point," she added.

lmao anyone who doesn't promote court packing is a climate change denier. The most optimistic "politics as normal" approach would have a climate change denying court for the next 20 years at least, probably

ah well, gotta remind myself that a 9 democrat court wouldn't make a difference because mainstream democrats are climate change deniers too

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

TeenageArchipelago posted:

quote:

"I'm trying to understand what the emergency is that warrants Supreme Court intervention at this point," she added.

"All the people I know say everything is fine. :confused:"

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
I was at the grocery store last night and saw this guy stocking an isle of pallets of soda and a deep sadness came over me. I used to do it, backbreaking work really, bending over and lifting the entire shift. I noticed the Pepsi he was stocking was 10.99 a 12 pk.. Imagine busting your rear end and breaking your back and not being able to afford that carbonated sugar water with an hour of your labor. That’s how I think about wages these days, in terms of affording everyday things

Imagine working 2 hrs for a loving Big Mac combo. At least slaves back in the day were fed and housed. This country has really turned to poo poo in the span of like 3 years. Unbelievable

Soggy Muffin has issued a correction as of 17:17 on Feb 22, 2024

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Ahh the sweet ASMR of February thunderstorms

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
don't short the capitalists like that my dude. it took 40 years of dismantling the new deal, and even more work to get their man ronnie in office before that. not quite as impressive an effort as our great common work, but certainly a generational project to return to the gilded age.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Spent some time in the mountains where it was still winter, now I'm back in the Midwest where it is definitely late spring.

I give us 5 years tops before it's summer all the time

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
winter is when you put on a light jacket, right?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

SixteenShells posted:

winter is when you put on a light jacket, right?

winter on the farm in Manitoba, Jan 2022:

winter on the farm in Manitoba, Dec 2023:

:tif:

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

Karach posted:

winter on the farm in Manitoba, Jan 2022:

winter on the farm in Manitoba, Dec 2023:

:tif:

nobody has to shovel snow in winter anymore AND we get free plastic in our tap water and people are upset? someone doesn't appreciate innovation :v:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

manitoba completely devoid of snow is doing massive psychic damage due to growing up in Winnipeg in the 80’s

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Scarabrae posted:

manitoba completely devoid of snow is doing massive psychic damage due to growing up in Winnipeg in the 80’s

all I know about Winnipeg is here:

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel-d845wn-winnipeg

1. WINNIPEG IS A FROZEN SHITHOLE 04:32
2. WINNIPEG IS A DOGSHIT DILDO 03:53
3. WINNIPEG IS loving OVER 06:25
4. WINNIPEG IS STEVEN STAPLETON'S ARMPIT 02:52
5. DIE WINNIPEG DIE DIE DIE FUCKERS DIE 07:01
6. WINNIPEG AS MANTADORY SCAT FEED 06:49
7. WINNIE THE DOG POOH (REMIX BY NOT HALF) 04:06
8. WINNIPEG IS A BOILING POT OF CRANBERRIES (REMIX BY FANNY) 04:21
9. DIE WINNIPEG DIE DIE DIE FUCKERS DIE (REMIX BY SKM-ETR) 05:17

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mawarannahr posted:

he's right (usually)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
what perplexes me about climate change is I have smart friends who all know we're plummeting towards collapse in the next 50 years but they ALL are having kids left and right and I swear they never once made the connection between the two, its like the parts of the brain are completely and utterly separated.

"hey man did you see that the AMOC is slowing down so much that it could start an ice age in Europe? Anyways we're trying for another one, I'm hoping for a girl!" like, what dawg, these are actual human beings that will have to deal with stuff that you know is happening my guy, yall acting like you're out here buying a new car or something instead of producing an autonomous living being

I'm not saying people shouldn't have kids but the complete and total compartmentalization of the two things, in particular, is wild to see. :shrug: more power to em though I guess! I hope everyone lives a happy life :)

Taima has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Feb 22, 2024

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

well I’m gonna say it for you

people shouldn’t have kids

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Taima posted:

what perplexes me about climate change is I have smart friends who all know we're plummeting towards collapse in the next 50 years but they ALL are having kids left and right and I swear they never once made the connection between the two, its like the parts of the brain are completely and utterly separated.

"hey man did you see that the AMOC is slowing down so much that it could start an ice age in Europe? Anyways we're trying for another one, I'm hoping for a girl!" like, what dawg, these are actual human beings that will have to deal with stuff that you know is happening my guy, yall acting like you're out here buying a new car or something instead of producing an autonomous living being

I'm not saying people shouldn't have kids but the complete and total compartmentalization of the two things, in particular, is wild to see. :shrug: more power to em though I guess! I hope everyone lives a happy life :)

We get this sentiment pop up often enough, and I always chalk it up to compartmentalisation. People can have in depth discussions on things and seemingly grok all the horrors the future has yet to show us. Then immediately go back to being that cog in the machine and carrying on without missing a beat, doing what humans have always done.

I, personally, don’t get it, but it happens enough that people just go on to the next thing, like ChatGPT starting a new line of discussion with no memory of the previous one. Discussing the planet being literally on fire and then when that line of chat is tapped out, talk about where next best to take a weekend break (oh, but not Greece or Spain, since they’re on fire, if you remember the doomsday chat we just had indicating having kids is sub-optimal).

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
if it was easy for humans to integrate climate change into rational actions on an individual scale we wouldn't have this problem in the first place

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mawarannahr posted:

winnipeg isn't that bad :(

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

SixteenShells posted:

if it was easy for humans to integrate climate change into rational actions on an individual scale we wouldn't have this problem in the first place

my baby is not subject to the pitiless march of history, because it's cute and I like it

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Taima posted:

Historically speaking, having children was probably the most common retirement plan in the West prior to the 20th century ...

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

I heard it's one great city

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Taima posted:

my guy, yall acting like you're out here buying a new car or something instead of producing an autonomous living being

Hubbert posted:

Historically speaking, having children was probably the most common retirement plan in the West prior to the 20th century ...

capitalism stays winning

also there are 2024 hurricane season predictions out and looking insane, between record high water temps and lack of wind shear stuff going on. so there's that.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Taima posted:

its like the parts of the brain are completely and utterly separated.

:dong: vs :brainworms:
The eternal struggle

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Taima posted:

Fulfill your obligations. Consume. Reproduce. Die conveniently.

Hubbert posted:

Total alienation allowed us to fix problems like filial piety so that we could properly monetize and profit from people getting old and infirm.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Taima posted:

ya this seems like a common goon problem. the answer is neat and obvious but deeply at odds with goon understanding of humans for some reason, don't worry tho, you're not alone

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
it’s almost like idiocracy is a documentary…

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Hubbert posted:

winnipeg isn't that bad :(

average commute in Winnipeg:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Winnipeg/comments/kh4n8v/witnesses_needed_description_in_the_comments/

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
For the first time in 19 years of living in seattle i am seeing really big efforts to clear the dead brush and himalayan blackberrys off the sides of the freeways and such. I think after last years constant random brush fires on the sides of the freeway and this years no real winter it feels like they're getting more serious about defensible space.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

winnipeg sounds badass

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

monarch butterfly outside my office

good luck little guy

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Chard posted:

good luck little guy

just another idiot trying to have children

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Homeless Friend posted:

winnipeg sounds badass

every day is a lovely day to die

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Chard posted:

good luck little guy

godspeed :kiddo:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It’s because having children is usually done for selfish, if not narcissistic reasons. Listen to people explain why they have to have biological children. Adoption or step-parenting isn’t good enough.

People have children they can’t take care of all the time. The well-being of the child rarely factors into the equation.

Sometimes it’s also just stupidity, a magical belief that things will just “work out”

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
From a biological point of view it’s probably very advantageous for humans to be irrational about having children

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

unwantedplatypus posted:

Sometimes it’s also just stupidity, a magical belief that things will just “work out”

this thinking also works for covid, climate change, the economy etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

unwantedplatypus posted:

It’s because having children is usually done for selfish, if not narcissistic reasons. Listen to people explain why they have to have biological children. Adoption or step-parenting isn’t good enough.

People have children they can’t take care of all the time. The well-being of the child rarely factors into the equation.

username/post combo