Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

The Painted World aspect is only referenced for how you enter the area; the world inside bears no resemblance, but it's still a decent DLC. The 2nd DLC is excellent though, keeps you hot on your toes :haw:

And the ending, ostensibly, of the Dark Souls trilogy is about painted worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Oh the dlc of 3 can definitely be good, it simply doesn’t follow up on or connect to pretty much anything from the main game and on top of that adds even more unanswered questions. Ashes of Ariandel is definitely the good one both as a level and in the art department, but that doesn’t change that the only reason its a snow world inside a painting is that DS1s best level was a snow world inside a painting and they were cynically trying to exploit your nostalgia rather than come up with something new and creative that was cohesive or made sense.
Then the ringed city was mostly blegh. First section is almost interesting with the idea of the whole of time sinking into a hole, but that ends up just a skybox as you run through yet another cathedral made of reused Lothric castle assets. Then you go through another poison swamp made of Earthen Tower assets, before finally getting to see new stuff. Now the ramparts section is actually fun and has some cool level design and enemies, but ends with an obnoxious stairway leading too you guessed it MORE SWAMPS. Swamps filled with unfightable 1-hit-kill archers with no cover. Then another Hellkite Drake bridge, and then your basically done save the boss gauntlet. And none of it has anything to do with any of the questions left unanswered in vanilla or even builds on it. In fact nothing from it is even mentioned in the base game at all and it’s inclusion actually makes things make less sense.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Questions? The only question that DS3 brings is why did you even play DS2 in the first place?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The moral of DS3's story was Hidetaka Miyazaki is sick of making Dark Souls games, and the DLC answered the question but he's going to keep making other games, right?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gaius Marius posted:

The Saw section is ten-fifteen minutes top

It is, and I don't mind it, but RE7 falters quite a lot in its last third.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I really like stories in videogames and pretty much everything but i do not care about the stories in Dark Souls. I am just here to smash huge monsters and knights with my greatsword.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I don't believe DS games have stories. I feel like everyone who try's to discern a plot from the games is just phoning it in including miyazaki.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Miyazaki even said that's the point since they're partially based on him reading English fantasy books while not understanding English.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jimlit posted:

I don't believe DS games have stories. I feel like everyone who try's to discern a plot from the games is just phoning it in including miyazaki.

I don't think they're phoning it in, phoning it in is just saying there's no discernable plot and moving on.

Looking into the stories of DS games is more like interpreting religious text. Pretty much the same energy as Church wrt to the Bible, going over each line in detail and exploring it's connections to the other lines and diving some greater meaning, lesson, or narrative in the process.

Doing that also involves languages you don't speak, that maybe nobody speaks, with fragmentary origins necessarily scuttled and altered by politics over time, with various authors of disparate intents, mistranslated and retranslated and repackaged into arbitrary canons, and all treated as gospel, myth, history, fantasy, nightmare, dream all at the same time.

Dark Souls can be just some warrior backstabbing their way to restart purgatory on a harder difficulty in the same way the Bible can just be the story of a mean dude who makes everything, gets pissed, kills everyone, and then brings em all back to show off the sequel teaser. But some people get a little more out of it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If FS gave a poo poo about people understanding the stories, they wouldn't design the worst quest structures in the history of video games.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Here's a typical DS story:

You meet someone and they ramble at you. Then you never see them again.

Alternately, you kill a boss and they disappear.

It's loving rear end squared.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dark Souls storyline:

Person A: "I am sad because I lost someone long ago"
Person B: "I was lost long ago"
Person A: "I will slay the demon unless I find that person"

Summon Person A and let him die: loot his corpse to get his armor
Summon Person A and he survives: he finds person B and doesn't want to kill anymore and you get his armor and a ring that gives you +10% health!

SUPER SECRET EMERGENT STORYLINE!!!!!
Kill demon without summoning Person A and he'll disappear from the game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
ER storyline: look at wiki. HOW THE gently caress AM I SUPPOSED TO FIGURE ANY OF THIS OUT!?!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ambiguous narratives with austere dialogue own actually

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's like music you make with R1 and R2

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

ER storyline: look at wiki. HOW THE gently caress AM I SUPPOSED TO FIGURE ANY OF THIS OUT!?!

Again, like with the Bible: you attend sermons (YouTube lore videos) to have it explained line by line with added context, you consult the holy book yourself (the wiki), or you get to thinkin real weird and examine the spiritual world yourself and see your own divine connections (smoke weed).

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i really like the general overarching story of ds1. it's like a big-bang/entropy sort of deal dressed up with fantasy tropes. the world was homogenous and orderly until a cataclysmic event brought disparity. from disparity comes everything that makes up the world as we know it, including us. the world world is inevitably moving back towards homogeneity, though. the party has to end eventually.

ds1 is about people attempting to escape that fate and making a big mess of things.

I like the story and general ambiance of dark souls, but I think the experience of actually playing it is meh. the combat feels clunky and is generally not my cup of tea. also I think it's dumb that you need to look at the wiki to make a viable character. it's even worse in elden ring where there are half a dozen schools of magic that are completely useless while others are easy mode. it's like they didn't put any thought towards balance between the builds/weapons/magics at all

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I never played the Demon Soul's Remake for PS5.

Did they ever add in the area that the broken pillar in the main hub area was supposed to lead to?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MSPain posted:

i really like the general overarching story of ds1. it's like a big-bang/entropy sort of deal dressed up with fantasy tropes. the world was homogenous and orderly until a cataclysmic event brought disparity. from disparity comes everything that makes up the world as we know it, including us. the world world is inevitably moving back towards homogeneity, though. the party has to end eventually.

ds1 is about people attempting to escape that fate and making a big mess of things.

It's kind of funny because it's a pretty sick concept for a game world and it's mechanics in and out of the game, but its nature also means they can just keep doing the same thing every time with a slightly different pathos or set of them.

I think they've boxed themselves but they don't have to. Hoping after Elden Ring they find another bell to ring than dying grasps at a decayed way of life. Then again not like that notion will become irrelevant any time soon.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

ppl saying "fromsoft needs to stop making weird obscure secret storylines" clearly haven't played armored core 6, a game that almost literally says "621. there's another route on this mission you took before. go look at it. seriously, go look at it. look at it dummy it's right there"

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
it makes me wonder how lies of p could possibly be a good game. they took dark souls, kept everything i don't like about it, and replaced the good parts with... pinocchio? huh.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

MSPain posted:

it makes me wonder how lies of p could possibly be a good game. they took dark souls, kept everything i don't like about it, and replaced the good parts with... pinocchio? huh.

The original Pinocchio story is pretty messed up, so if they kept that stuff in they may have managed to make something captivating.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Lies of P looks like it would have been a great game without soulslike combat. That appears to be the worst part of the game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Waltzing Along posted:

Lies of P looks like it would have been a great game without soulslike combat. That appears to be the worst part of the game.

The worst part of the game has to be the name.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

That's pretty accurate based on my experience with From games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

credburn posted:

The worst part of the game has to be the name.

There can be two worst things

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

The Saw section is ten-fifteen minutes top

Well I played a few hours and the game still smells like Texas chainsaw massacre and saw had a baby so no thanks.

I've beaten every re except 5, 6 and 7 and in my mind 5-7 are not RE. Ironically everyone hated village but I found it a great return to form. A little action heavy but plenty of re goodness.

Re7 feels like botw in that everyone seems to be suckin' it's dick and I'm over here being like "why"

E: I even tried to play it on PC with mouse and keyboard and a 50 inch ultra wide monitor. Still sucks

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 22, 2024

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

That's pretty accurate based on my experience with From games.

Mostly accurate except for the part about the unskippable dialogue. Not only do Fromsoft games let you skip dialogue, you can literally just walk away while people are talking to you, and I appreciate them for that.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

the VR demo of RE7 loving ruled. I enjoyed the full game well enough until I reached a point where I just had to shoot all these mould creatures and it got kinda boring and I never finished the game. That first videotape you find from the crew investigating the house was so good.

I've never completed any RE game. I just don't really enjoy survival horror (or survival games in general), I don't think. I put down Alan Wake 2 despite loving the first game and have yet to go back to it. Resource management isn't fun to me. Spooky stuff is good, flailing about and dodging enemies trying to find ammo is not.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Everything about lies of p is really good

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Quote-Unquote posted:

the VR demo of RE7 loving ruled. I enjoyed the full game well enough until I reached a point where I just had to shoot all these mould creatures and it got kinda boring and I never finished the game. That first videotape you find from the crew investigating the house was so good.

I've never completed any RE game. I just don't really enjoy survival horror (or survival games in general), I don't think. I put down Alan Wake 2 despite loving the first game and have yet to go back to it. Resource management isn't fun to me. Spooky stuff is good, flailing about and dodging enemies trying to find ammo is not.

straight up the scariest piece of media I ever experienced. My heart rate must have been 200bpm. I didn't get too far into it because it wasn't really fun but it's really good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I bought a Oculus when Zuck was doing a fire sale on them mostly to try out 7 in VR. Jokes on me it was playstation VR exclusive.

The worst thing about 7 is that they've walked back on a lot of the more interesting design decisions. 7 had a ton of very, very well hidden consumables and ammo hidden behind nooks and crannies but it gave you pills that could help you clean up anything left behind. It made scrounging around so much more rewarding then 4R or Village with it's item drops. The game had a lot more Immersive Sim energy than the previous games, and brought back the tension and horror that became increasingly de-emphasized with the turn towards action 3 and 4 took.

The back half is significantly weaker than the intro though.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

straight up the scariest piece of media I ever experienced. My heart rate must have been 200bpm. I didn't get too far into it because it wasn't really fun but it's really good.

Which thing, the RE7 VR demo?

I'm really, really into horror. But the big thing for me is that things jumping out at me (in films or games) or things in games like worrying about ammo and medkits etc. isn't scary, it's stressful and annoying.

I like horror that invokes dread, like a feeling that something is horribly wrong or even physically impossible but is happening anyway. Control was good for this in lots of places, as is the book House of Leaves. The Kubrick version of The Shining, too. And The Exorcist is my favourite horror film of all time because it invokes a feeling of utter helplessness and loss despite Chris having an enormous amount of resources to throw at the problem.

Startling is not the same thing as scary. Stressful is not the same thing as scary. That's why I loved the RE7 VR demo. Until the very end, nothing was startling - but that jump scare was earned and even helped relieve the tension that had been building. But everything felt wrong from the moment it started. The full game cheapens that when it's like "okay, you've got guns now. There's all these enemies you have to kill. Except the ones you can't kill." I think that's why I enjoyed Silent Hill 2, though it's been like 20 years since I played it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

fridge corn posted:

I tried the demo before launch and the dodging and parrying just felt kinda bad. But I'm also possibly just tired of this flavour of action rpg. I did like the weapon mixing system though. Maybe I'll pick it up on a sale.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Haven't even played it but yeah, the name was already perfect from the getgo and it being the famous pruppet only sealed the deal. Hope to play it someday but I also like enjoying it on the outside.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm really, really into horror. But the big thing for me is that things jumping out at me (in films or games) or things in games like worrying about ammo and medkits etc. isn't scary, it's stressful and annoying.

I like horror that invokes dread, like a feeling that something is horribly wrong or even physically impossible but is happening anyway. Control was good for this in lots of places, as is the book House of Leaves. The Kubrick version of The Shining, too. And The Exorcist is my favourite horror film of all time because it invokes a feeling of utter helplessness and loss despite Chris having an enormous amount of resources to throw at the problem.

Startling is not the same thing as scary. Stressful is not the same thing as scary. That's why I loved the RE7 VR demo. Until the very end, nothing was startling - but that jump scare was earned and even helped relieve the tension that had been building. But everything felt wrong from the moment it started. The full game cheapens that when it's like "okay, you've got guns now. There's all these enemies you have to kill. Except the ones you can't kill." I think that's why I enjoyed Silent Hill 2, though it's been like 20 years since I played it.

I didn't specifically play the demo, but I played the first few hours, which I assume are similar to the demo. The Exorcist was my favorite horror movie too, until I saw Hereditary. But anyway, yea I was in this house and it was bad. Of course I knew it wasn't real, but a certain part of my brain didn't seem to know that it wasn't real.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I haven't read House of Leaves or played the original Doom, but this Doom mod is pretty cool (spoilers in the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wAo54DHDY0

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
RE7 is one of the few games I consider to be close to perfect. It's dark, stressful, and disgusting, so I completely understand why lots of people wouldn't enjoy it, but it expertly accomplishes everything it's trying to do.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I enjoyed the full game well enough until I reached a point where I just had to shoot all these mould creatures and it got kinda boring and I never finished the game.

There are like a grand total of 10 of them, not counting the gauntlet in the caverns at the end of the game. Now, I'm not going to accuse you of being too much of a scaredy pants to continue, but I don't think boredom was what made you stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

I haven't read House of Leaves or played the original Doom, but this Doom mod is pretty cool (spoilers in the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wAo54DHDY0

Yeah! I've seen videos of this (MyHouse.wad) and it's amazing what they managed to pull off. Like genuinely mindblowing that any of that is possible given the limitations of Doom II (technically this only works in a source port, but still, it's insanely cool). There's like a whole mythos built up around it by the creator, too, which very much mimicks HoL in style - there are a few direct references but most of it is original.

For anyone that hasn't seen this, I highly recommend it. Stuff like having rooms-over-rooms and impossible geometry that Doom couldn't possibly do without a LOT of trickery happens like it's nothing, so it's interesting on a technical level, but it's also absolutely fascinating as a horror piece.

Devils Affricate posted:

RE7 is one of the few games I consider to be close to perfect. It's dark, stressful, and disgusting, so I completely understand why lots of people wouldn't enjoy it, but it expertly accomplishes everything it's trying to do.

There are like a grand total of 10 of them, not counting the gauntlet in the caverns at the end of the game. Now, I'm not going to accuse you of being too much of a scaredy pants to continue, but I don't think boredom was what made you stop.

Seriously? Maybe I should have continued. Like I said, I get annoyed at worrying about ammo and annoyance at video games means boredom for me. I loved all the crazy hillbillies stalking around the house and having to stop and hide etc but when it started to get combat heavy I lost interest. But yeah I've heard that the game gets way more combat heavy later on and that probably would've annoyed me more.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 23, 2024