Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Dexo posted:

omg, and then season ended after week 4 they certainly didn't turn poo poo around and started playing better once the defense got healthy, and once they added one singular pass rusher, and jettisoned Claypool into the sun.

Or maybe I can post this, something you might be able to relate to.

No need to think about or add what happened after that into consideration. They started the year off like poo poo. I bet that team is still bad the rest of that season into the next year.

i was posting ALL ABOUT how i was officially a lions hater at that point. :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Radia posted:

see this is the thing! the 49ers literally developed an offense where mediocre QB's can excel, this was a literal highlight last year (er 2022) when they were on their 84th backup qb. but it takes designing around the talent you have elsewhere, which I don't think the Bears really do.

The 49ers have one of the top 3 best play designers and all around scheme guys in the league and they STILL gave away 3 picks for Trey Lance because they felt (rightly) that their mediocre QB was holding them back. That was after trying and failing to get Stafford because McVay beat him to the punch. In any case “simply design an offense as well as Kyle Shanahan does” isn’t all that easy to replicate.

Those “middling QBs surrounded by talent” offenses are highly scheme dependent and prone to falling apart when the coordinator leaves or the offensive line picks up a couple of injuries. Good QBs make it far easier to weather the storm if everything isn’t going perfectly. Look at the come down the Eagles suffered this year.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm reasonably confident the 2024 Bears will have a better record than the 2023 Bears

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think the Bears will be pretty decent in a probably good division, but I also feel like projections for an entire division overall are usually not good.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm reasonably confident the 2024 Bears will have a better record than the 2023 Bears

Best predictive value is just last year's wins cut in half + 4 (now 4.5).
7/2+4.5 = 8.

So yeah. Woo.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

rookie QBs, as a rule, suck rear end. if the bears draft a rookie qb, they will probably be bad.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

rookie QBs, as a rule, suck rear end. if the bears draft a rookie qb, they will probably be bad.

Who is CJ Stroud and how much rear end did he suck?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

that's literally one guy

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I don't think Eberflus is anywhere as capable as Ryans, but I'd like to be a bit optimistic and view the 2024 Bears as closer to being the 2023 Texans than anything else, given the defense, etc.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

if you got out of being trapped in Ohio for years on end you'd pop off hard too

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

If only the Bears had an opportunity to draft him.

Anyway, that's one example. Most rookies are going to struggle and the Bears have a worse offensive line than Houston.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Packers should be opening the season up in Brazil.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/nate_tice/status/1760546490249064836?s=46

In rhythm and on time.

E: Look at the movement. Nothing wasted.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
All you have to do is teach him it's ok to take the easy play when it's there and throw the ball away sometimes. He doesn't have to learn how to do it like Fields did; he just has to learn to make it his first instinct most of the time. I truly believe that's the only real developmental step he needs to take for him to be successful at the NFL level.

It shouldn't be that hard...even the Bears should be capable of putting those finishing touches on an otherwise ready-made prospect...

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

xbilkis posted:

All you have to do is teach him it's ok to take the easy play when it's there and throw the ball away sometimes. He doesn't have to learn how to do it like Fields did; he just has to learn to make it his first instinct most of the time. I truly believe that's the only real developmental step he needs to take for him to be successful at the NFL level.

It shouldn't be that hard...even the Bears should be capable of putting those finishing touches on an otherwise ready-made prospect...

Caleb is legitimately one to two tweaks away from really taking off. Take the easy reads. And when there are no easy reads, stay level with the LoS and make a play.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I am low key concerned that 2024 is going to be the season that three NFCN teams duke it out and the path to the Super Bowl is going to be harder than it looked in January

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I am low key concerned that 2024 is going to be the season that three NFCN teams duke it out and the path to the Super Bowl is going to be harder than it looked in January

This is what the Dan Campbell prophecy was in the nfccg postgame conference

Also just wanna throw Herbie out there for great recent rookie season, and he had lower expectations than stroud or caleb. It’s rare, but it does happen

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Most QBs and prospects of this caliber drafted in the top 2 picks aren't going to a team that was as "good" as the bears were last year(relative to the actual dregs of the league), unless that team gutted their future to move up for the QB(shout out Panthers and thanks for not picking Stroud)

Also man just a general Zooming out looking at the Bears. I dunno I don't think Flus is a great coach or whatever, but this was year 2 of a rebuild after year one was tearing it down to the complete loving studs and they ended up around exactly where I expected them "in the hunt" but ultimately coming up short, by 2 games. And winning 7 games. The start was comically bad, but wow look at that young players and rookies who the Bears were starting started playing better.

Much like the other extremely young team in the division who started out like poo poo this year, had something click midseason and went on a run. Only difference is that team had seemingly an actual dude at QB and a better playcaller.

And the Packers last year were a roster that was one win away from the playoffs, the Bears very much were not.

People sometimes just cant or don't want to see the forest for the trees with the Bears.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The NFC as a whole should be way tougher because it’s hard to be worse than what it was last year. Except for South that division stinks. Maybe the Falcons could be viable if they manage to obtain a decent qb but otherwise yuck.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Packers should be opening the season up in Brazil.

Should be a real homecomming for the fans

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Sneaker Broker posted:

In rhythm and on time.

When Justin does this it's "Staring down your first read"
y'all are incredibly comical.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I didn't watch Caleb at all this year except that game he had against ND where he looked like poop. Nice to know he can make 3 throws (were they even completed? accurate? video didn't show.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Scipiotik posted:

I didn't watch Caleb at all this year except that game he had against ND where he looked like poop. Nice to know he can make 3 throws (were they even completed? accurate? video didn't show.)

congrats you've watched as much tape on Caleb as many people in media

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Fields is the Bears QB that took being the Bears QB the best. Especially given he seemed like his soul died on draft night when the Bears took him. I think he will do well elsewhere. If the Bears trade him to Las Vegas to reunite him with Getsy, I will laugh myself hoarse.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Has there been a Bears QB who sucked with the Bears but went on to be good elsewhere afterwards? I think the Bears usually just draft bad QBs.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Has there been a Bears QB who sucked with the Bears but went on to be good elsewhere afterwards? I think the Bears usually just draft bad QBs.

The most successful post Bears QB career in recent memory is Kyle Orton

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Jim Harbaugh, although he didn't suck with the Bears

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I had this same question a month ago I think, the answer is Orton for a given definition of good. He was top half in qb rating (barely) in Denver the two years after the trade.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://x.com/NicholasMoreano/status/1760727545434264050

He's in his revenge szn lmao

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

From a henchman to a one off antagonist in Suits: the magic of facial hair

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's penance for killing Justin's Career

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Shane Waldron is going to get eaten alive by the chicago media. Hahahahahahahahaha.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Beard Flus is functionally a new coach imo. Faith in this organization restored

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It is very funny watching Shane try and stumble to say nothing too positive or negative about player here.

https://x.com/billtzimmerman/status/1760736137235321123?s=46&t=W7tkvCJJVvRQ_wkgdRXpiQ

Shane Waldron seems personality wise like offensive Eberflus

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 22, 2024

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thought today's mock draft from The Athletic beat writers was fun.

- #1: Bears stay and take Caleb Williams
- #9: Bears trade back with the Broncos (who take J.J. McCarthy) in exchange for #12, #76, and a 2025 fourth
- #11: Vikings take Dallas Turner, edge
- #12: Bears take Jared Verse, edge
- #25: Packers take Nate Wiggins, corner
- #29: Lions take Kool-Aid McKinstry, corner

So, aside from Williams, all four teams predicted to take either an edge rusher or corner.

Probably worth noting that MHJ/Nabers/Odunze/Alt/Fashanu went before the Bears pick, and DeJean went before the Packers pick.

They also predicted Fields being traded to New England for #68. That compensation seems low, though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

surf rock posted:

Thought today's mock draft from The Athletic beat writers was fun.

- #1: Bears stay and take Caleb Williams
- #9: Bears trade back with the Broncos (who take J.J. McCarthy) in exchange for #12, #76, and a 2025 fourth
- #11: Vikings take Dallas Turner, edge
- #12: Bears take Jared Verse, edge
- #25: Packers take Nate Wiggins, corner
- #29: Lions take Kool-Aid McKinstry, corner

So, aside from Williams, all four teams predicted to take either an edge rusher or corner.

Probably worth noting that MHJ/Nabers/Odunze/Alt/Fashanu went before the Bears pick, and DeJean went before the Packers pick.

They also predicted Fields being traded to New England for #68. That compensation seems low, though.

I dont hate it overall, I was really thinking about how we need to fix the defense as it has been the biggest problem the last 2 seasons (though it showed life after the Sweat trade) AND Caleb's biggest problem in college came from trying to do miracles to save USC from it's horrible defense. I feel like ensuring the defense is decent more important than drafting a great #2 receiver as part of fixing Caleb's issues

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

A Sneaker Broker posted:

In rhythm and on time.

2 years with the bears he won't make those throws anymore

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I've liked Wiggins even stretching back to the middle of the season so I'm down with that pick. That also means the Packers absolutely won't pick him :v:

I think Van Ness has been the only first-round pick in recent memory where people agreed he was a fit for Green Bay and the Packers actually took him. Watson would've qualified if the Vikings hadn't refused to let the Packers pay them for #32. KAM took Lewis Cine instead. Brilliant pick.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Packers should get a fullback imo

The 49ers have one, I want one

Yes I understand Deguara is one in all but name

But it's the principle of the thing

Grab some bowling ball lookin' kid from a MAC school during UDFA signing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The bears have one. You really still want one?