Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

idk what the data is based on

According to the guy it's from scraping replay data. Of course there are issues there with how it's cached and distributed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Weasling Weasel posted:

I've grabbed the two combos from the thread above (Launch into FF2,3 DB1,4 FF4 FF2 1+2 and DB4,3 2,1,2 dd2, 1+2) and I'm going to practice them and just throw a my ranked sessions today just to try and get them out regularly. Good thing about being at green rank is there's no loss penalty, so it feels like free practice.
Like wise, I'll trry the F4 4 and FF1 B4 frametraps on top of the 1 B3 to see if they feel any better and add a bit more variety to the kit. Looks like's a few goons in here who have picked Asuka as beginners so hopefully we can trade notes as we get better.
Only thing can stop me is my unyielding itch to want to try someone new all the time.

Char posted:

If you manage to consistently time the first juggle combo tell me how you're doing it, I can land the final FF2 like once in four attempts, it should be an easy combo therefore if I'm failing it means I'm doing something very wrong.

Anyway I'm liking Asuka as a training character because she forces me to stop trying to rushdown everything, ymmv.

I don't know if either of you have seen this video, but the one thing I didn't realize I needed to be doing to finish my combos with Asuka was the sidestep right before the ender. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVpijyks9bQ
I think I was doing it haphazardly some time after the tornado and getting the combo without understanding why it dropped other times.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Day 6 of EWGF training and the streak of getting more consistent is broken; my hit rate is faaaar lower today than the last couple times of play, oh well.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I think that always happens when learning new moves. It's just the brain's way of saying "hold up, I've gotta check some stuff before committing this to muscle memory." You just need to take it easy, slow down and refine your input and you'll come out the other end with perfect electrics.

My practice electrics are looking good but somehow they vanish once I enter a match with another human player... Nothing to do but play people and whiff electrics until they start working consistently.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Shockeh posted:

Funny, I feel exactly the same about wireless PS5 players.

i don't mind wireless ps5 players because i can skip the match if i see the wifi symbol. getting all excited to play a wired PC only for it to turn out your opponent has a pentium 4 build with a voodoo2 is worse.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Any good resources discussing controller options, in particular with respect to ergonomics and RSI? I'm using a pretty beat up PS4 controller, I use the d-pad but joystick grips are starting to crumble for context. I'm noticing my left wrist/hand getting a bit sore and am concerned about the potential for repetitive stress injuries. I'm trying my Logitech Ergo K860 to see if that's a better option. I've read keyboard is not comparable to leverless and can't be used to determine how effective I would be using such a controller.

My group may occasionally play at a friend's place on their PS5 so the controller would need to be compatible with that platform ideally. Some options I'm considering are: a new PS4 controller, PS5 DualSense, HORI Fighting Commander Octa for PS5, MayFlash F300 or F500. I'm open to other fight sticks or leverless but would prefer to remain under $200 CAD (roughly $150 USD) if possible.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Levin posted:

I'm open to other fight sticks or leverless but would prefer to remain under $200 CAD (roughly $150 USD) if possible.

I got a Fightbox F1 (99usd), and to play on PS5 I had to get a Brook Wingman (60usd) so slightly over your price point but it has been good lol

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Seltzer posted:

Dude I'm so done with PC players, I can't play another 5 bar PC player on a lovely machine it's so absurd they show as wired 5 bars. I've had more trouble with PC 5 bar wired than console 5 bar wireless at this point. FFS, there needs to be a minimum performance level allowed to play online.

It seems like for the most part it's not because those people are not meeting minimum system requirements, it's actually because nvidia hosed up with some recent driver update and now a lot of games are running like garbage.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I'm wondering why some of these connection "rules" are why i sometimes get passed up multiple times in a row waiting in ranked sometimes. (console wired) I've definitely had some lovely matches lag wise from wifi people and bad computer people but it's been like maybe 10%? (us nw coast)

I kept thinking like no way are people this scared of the bryan pic lmao

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Artelier posted:

Day 6 of EWGF training and the streak of getting more consistent is broken; my hit rate is faaaar lower today than the last couple times of play, oh well.

Nice Van My Man posted:

I think that always happens when learning new moves. It's just the brain's way of saying "hold up, I've gotta check some stuff before committing this to muscle memory." You just need to take it easy, slow down and refine your input and you'll come out the other end with perfect electrics.

My practice electrics are looking good but somehow they vanish once I enter a match with another human player... Nothing to do but play people and whiff electrics until they start working consistently.

What Nice Van My Man writes is pretty true, fine motor learning is not a purely linear affair, the brain is fluid and mushy. Slowing down and refining is the key.

This also doubly goes for if you are using a fine motor skill during 'performance', if the skill is not fully internalized and properly consolidated then the little bits of sloppiness that occur from performing under stress (playing a real match) can end up encoded and become part of the internalization process; effectively slowing down/undoing some of your practice work. You can counter act this somewhat by doing a short practice session after a play session, to hone in and correct the mistakes you made during the match (make sure you give your hands a moment of rest in between though).

Levin posted:

Any good resources discussing controller options, in particular with respect to ergonomics and RSI? I'm using a pretty beat up PS4 controller, I use the d-pad but joystick grips are starting to crumble for context. I'm noticing my left wrist/hand getting a bit sore and am concerned about the potential for repetitive stress injuries. I'm trying my Logitech Ergo K860 to see if that's a better option. I've read keyboard is not comparable to leverless and can't be used to determine how effective I would be using such a controller.

My group may occasionally play at a friend's place on their PS5 so the controller would need to be compatible with that platform ideally. Some options I'm considering are: a new PS4 controller, PS5 DualSense, HORI Fighting Commander Octa for PS5, MayFlash F300 or F500. I'm open to other fight sticks or leverless but would prefer to remain under $200 CAD (roughly $150 USD) if possible.

PhiDX just did a controller video that isn't particularly focused on ergonomics but does pay lip service to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ti5Y-dKshc Might help you inform yourself.

A mechanical keyboard should absolutely be fairly comparable to leverless, just leverless has larger and easier to hit buttons. Probably should put the keyboard in your lap though. In regards to RSI, a controller switch can absolutely help relieve strained parts of your body but there is also a significant adjustment phase that itself can bring difficulties if you overdo practice/play with the new controller. The most important bits for avoiding RSI are always going to be to keep a good posture, practice keeping your hands relaxed, and taking regular breaks; and these things go double when changing controller since your body will need time to adjust (especially tendons take a long time).

Edit: I switched from pad to stick years ago for crampiness in my hand; I had a really good time playing on stick but it was also quite fatiguing on the wrist and forearm and I've heard of more people developing RSI on stick than any other controller. That might be something to consider for you as well, my first instinct would be to recommend pad or leverless and forgetting about stick if you are already feeling strain in your wrist.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 22, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think the main difference switching from keyboard to leverless is that any technique involving sliding across buttons (for both movement and attacks) will be easier on the latter because of button height compared to keypresses, otherwise it has been pretty similar

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
So this is a fun game. I've never played a tekken game but the demo was amazing, it just clicked more than any MK I've played and I liked it so much more than SF6. I've been doing the character stories and have picked out a few that are a combo of cool / I liked the playstyle. I am just a button masher at heart though.

If I want to "lab" something, I assume that just means practice mode, right? Like if I wanted to practice a combo I just do it over and over? Is that a better way to improve or learn sick new things versus just mashing buttons in ranked until I start to recognize patterns? I like the arcade quest since it's basically training me on individual moves but it's very daunting. Even simple things like power crushes I can get in their little tutorial, but implementing against the CPU I just end up flailing around.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I got a Fightbox F1 (99usd), and to play on PS5 I had to get a Brook Wingman (60usd) so slightly over your price point but it has been good lol

I was looking at the Brook Wingman and they don't include the Fightbox F1 in their list of compatible devices unless I'm missing something. I assume there are a number of devices not listed which work with it, just curious if you found a more comprehensive list that included the F1.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

So this is a fun game. I've never played a tekken game but the demo was amazing, it just clicked more than any MK I've played and I liked it so much more than SF6. I've been doing the character stories and have picked out a few that are a combo of cool / I liked the playstyle. I am just a button masher at heart though.

If I want to "lab" something, I assume that just means practice mode, right? Like if I wanted to practice a combo I just do it over and over? Is that a better way to improve or learn sick new things versus just mashing buttons in ranked until I start to recognize patterns? I like the arcade quest since it's basically training me on individual moves but it's very daunting. Even simple things like power crushes I can get in their little tutorial, but implementing against the CPU I just end up flailing around.

There's not too much to do in the lab starting out but pick out a couple of moves and practice a B&B combo. Aside from that the game allows you to play replays and take control of one of the characters mid match to see if you could have dodged that attack or punished it better, as well as pop up hint windows for moves you could duck or punish.

Here are some quick tips coming off other fighters:

block high unless you know they're going low. Low attacks are usually either chip damage you can ignore or slow powerful moves you should block on reaction. The moves you have to worry most about are mid attacks that hit you while you're crouching.
left hand quick jab (1) is your fastest move and the best way to make sure people stop taking your turn. Also down 1 to duck their high and jab if you want.
df1 is almost every character's quick mid to stop people from ducking your jab.

*pick the character that looks the coolest (Feng just kidding pick who you like) They're pretty well balanced and you see a real mix, not a million Scorpions and Chun Lis.
*learn a quick low to chip out your opponent, a launcher or two and a simple combo that's easy to execute. Do NOT go online and look up optimal combos, easy is better. These you should practice in the lab.
*do a quick check for some cheap rear end strings. These are pretty much strings with low attacks in them that are safe.
*no one can break throws. People will get mad about you throwing them all the time but just throw them all the time anyway and try to break the throw when they throw you back. It's really hard to break and you'll probably need to lab throw practice or just guess if it's 2, 1+2, or the rarer 1 only break.
Edit:
*ALSO A FRAMETRAP! Basically a move that's + on block, then you catch them mashing after you land it. The less it looks like you should be + the better.

I like to mess around online to get a feel for a character, and then look online for some quick tactics once I understand what's going on. This will result in you being beaten up online but it makes it so much easier to understand the tactics videos and advice from players.

And finally, don't worry about all the things you don't know. Everyone has like 100 moves and stances and heat mode considerations, but you should just start with a few moves that work. It all becomes clear in time as the tricks you start with stop working and you need to learn new ones. For that matter a lot of stuff that works in later ranks is worse than useless in early ranks because everyone is just mashing attack all the time.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 23, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Symbolic Butt posted:

It seems like for the most part it's not because those people are not meeting minimum system requirements, it's actually because nvidia hosed up with some recent driver update and now a lot of games are running like garbage.

This might be the case but I don't care. I just dropped a game winning combo on a choppy PC 5 bar rn lol. I'm over it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

This was very thorough and helpful, thank you :)

Gonna hit some ranked and flail around tomorrow

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I like the arcade quest since it's basically training me on individual moves but it's very daunting. Even simple things like power crushes I can get in their little tutorial, but implementing against the CPU I just end up flailing around.

It sounds like you might be trying to keep too much new information in mind at once in the context of a real match, which is causing you to revert to mashing. One thing you can do even against the CPU is choose a very, very small subset of things to focus on, and only do those things in matches for a good while. Go through your character's movelist or look at someone's cheat sheet and pick just 2-3 key things -- say, a fast launcher, a low poke, and a string -- and spend those AI matches purely focused on moving around and using those 3 things.

When you feel like you have those few things down pretty much instinctively, you could go back to the "lab" to practice a very simple combo off of the one launcher you know. Do it over and over until you're landing the whole thing successfully more often than not. Then you can go back to fighting moving opponents, still focusing on those 3 things you learned, only now when you hit the launcher, your goal is to land the combo you practiced.

Fighting the CPU exclusively will teach you some bad habits, in that they'll just get hit by random poo poo a lot and they won't be nearly as aggressive as humans will be. But if you're trying to get from panicked mashing to intentional gameplay, there's nothing wrong with using a training dummy that will hit you back sometimes.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Is there a secret to not getting rolled by these guys who just curb stomp me in 1 dan? Or is this just rite of passage? Like once a combo starts I cannot escape and it's just over. I just keep playing, right? I feel like my Tekken prowess should be 0

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Been thrown out of a lot of heat bursts smdh

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Is there a secret to not getting rolled by these guys who just curb stomp me in 1 dan? Or is this just rite of passage? Like once a combo starts I cannot escape and it's just over. I just keep playing, right? I feel like my Tekken prowess should be 0

do you mean other people who are at 1 dan themselves or are they higher rated players?

at 1 dan your main tactic can be backdashing a bunch and waiting for them to whiff moves in front of you then just punish them with whatever you want. it's very safe and people will hang themselves for you with basically zero effort on your part.

occasionally you will get someone who is just starting their ranked play and would be rated much higher if they played for a while more, that's just part of the ranked experience

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Urethane posted:

do you mean other people who are at 1 dan themselves or are they higher rated players?

at 1 dan your main tactic can be backdashing a bunch and waiting for them to whiff moves in front of you then just punish them with whatever you want. it's very safe and people will hang themselves for you with basically zero effort on your part.

occasionally you will get someone who is just starting their ranked play and would be rated much higher if they played for a while more, that's just part of the ranked experience

Yeah, players at dan 1 and ~5k prowess, just rocking me. Probably just a skill issue, but drat if I expected to not even take a round off of people just starting out. I have a lot of grinding to do!

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yeah, players at dan 1 and ~5k prowess, just rocking me. Probably just a skill issue, but drat if I expected to not even take a round off of people just starting out. I have a lot of grinding to do!

Honestly, they're probably just pressing more buttons than you. Don't worry about it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

word, it's hard at first and real players behave very differently than the cpu.

My guess is that they are just always pressing buttons whether it's their turn or not. And normally in tekken a lot of their moves leave them at a huge disadvantage if you block them, but if you don't take their turn they will just start a string again. The trick is knowing when their turn is over or when they are in the middle of a string that will counterhit any of your moves. Also if you didn't block something and got hit, don't press a button because you are almost always at a huge disadvantage and will get counter hit.

Besides backdashing a lot like I said, the other thing when starting out is to try to get used to just stand blocking. I'm not kidding when I say just try stand blocking an entire round and see what they do. they will probably start hitting you with lows, but seriously just keep stand blocking anyway. You will lose the round eventually but its a good experiment to see what happens when you aren't pressing buttons at the wrong time.

What character are you playing? Or if you post a replay people can give you advice

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's surprising how often people around green rank where I am don't block low. Especially near the end of the round where a single low will end it for them.

It's also amusing when I over think it and expect a round ending low attack from the opponent and just end up getting slapped with a mid.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Man I will poke toes until someone proves they can block low hahaha.
I like the just stand block nonstop advice. The other thing I would append to that is pay special attention to if you eat a low launcher and try to look out for those in future.

No matter how many fighting games I play, I always neglect the evergreen block more advice. This time it will be different I swear, I say while eating a counter hit launcher.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Urethane posted:

word, it's hard at first and real players behave very differently than the cpu.

My guess is that they are just always pressing buttons whether it's their turn or not. And normally in tekken a lot of their moves leave them at a huge disadvantage if you block them, but if you don't take their turn they will just start a string again. The trick is knowing when their turn is over or when they are in the middle of a string that will counterhit any of your moves. Also if you didn't block something and got hit, don't press a button because you are almost always at a huge disadvantage and will get counter hit.

Besides backdashing a lot like I said, the other thing when starting out is to try to get used to just stand blocking. I'm not kidding when I say just try stand blocking an entire round and see what they do. they will probably start hitting you with lows, but seriously just keep stand blocking anyway. You will lose the round eventually but its a good experiment to see what happens when you aren't pressing buttons at the wrong time.

What character are you playing? Or if you post a replay people can give you advice

I played a bunch of the character stories and seem to gravitate toward Hwoarang and Lili- I think I like "rushdown"? Although some of the stance stuff with Xiaoyu and Yoshi was fun, but I think I'm too stupid for it. I haven't tried everyone, though. I was sticking with Lili for a while, but it's still early days.

I'll keep working on just getting fights under my belt, might post some replays later.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

AndyElusive posted:

It's surprising how often people around green rank where I am don't block low. Especially near the end of the round where a single low will end it for them.

I am not good and neither are my opponents, but it still amazes me how frequently I can end round after round of a set with the same little Lili d3 ankle kick.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Seeing a lot of people complain about pluggers online but I havent had it happen a single time yet. I've been in the red ranks for the last few weeks. Does it start happening above that?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I played a bunch of the character stories and seem to gravitate toward Hwoarang and Lili- I think I like "rushdown"? Although some of the stance stuff with Xiaoyu and Yoshi was fun, but I think I'm too stupid for it. I haven't tried everyone, though. I was sticking with Lili for a while, but it's still early days.

I'll keep working on just getting fights under my belt, might post some replays later.

I tried to play a variety of characters in Tekken 7, including Hwoarang (always liked his animations), and he gave me a lot of trouble. He's a high pressure character but it comes from memorizing how his stances work, which moves flow into stances, how to safely transition stances etc. I found him harder than even Lei since with Howarang I always had to remember how to keep the kicks coming and not get myself stuck, I couldn't just get into stance and use the one move I was looking for.
If you do figure out the stances you can just pressure people to death, especially in the low to mid ranks. Just a nonstop wall of kicks. Once you start facing opponents who know your mixups as well as you do things get a little trickier. I don't want to dissuade you from using him, he just wasn't the fighter for me and you might take to him better.

I haven't played Lili, but I know she has insane sidestep speed and from what I've heard she's pretty easy to pick up. A lot of options form backturn and some flips to help you get into position from range. The sidestep should let you run around your opponent and launch them when they whiff. At least that's what happens to me.

Big Bizness posted:

Seeing a lot of people complain about pluggers online but I havent had it happen a single time yet. I've been in the red ranks for the last few weeks. Does it start happening above that?

I had maybe one plugger around release. I've never seen anyone plug above red (purple and blue). My connection to the server dropped once just as my opponent hit me with a set ending rage drive and I still feel bad about it, but that's the only things that's happened.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 24, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i have seen some pluggers around red ranks but none in purple and not nearly as many as below red. I got plugged on in green ranks for god's sake. you don't even lose points!!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I get a fuckload of one and dones but only around 1 plugger every night

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I switched to just playing quick matches for the past couple of days and its been pretty nice. I've been sticking with Shaheen and am glad I did, as he's a really strong and safe char and I was pretty close to dropping him at first. I've been beating people in the 100-120k prowess range once in awhile and I still can't combo with shaheen in a real match to save my life for some reason. So I feel like I'm getting a good grasp of his fundamental gameplan so I'm going to write a long post to gather my thoughts on the character

Overall, he's not a character a beginner can pick up and start beating on people with outside of spamming jabs and db2,1. He's capable of putting out a lot of damage but overall relies on a really basic, in your face playstyle and just good fundamentals. He's a very safe character and relies on you being able to stay up close and keep up pressure without being punished for it. You can mix up high and mids with his jab strings really quickly. I like throwing in 1,2,3 or 2,3 into snake step if I have them just frozen up blocking. df1,2 out of snake step really hurts and removes recoverable health if you can land it. For a jab string into a low he only has f2,4, which is a 12 frame startup. The string finishes with another 4 as a spinning high kick but its easily blocked or ducked so I usually just do the f2,4 for the low and leave it at that. You can follow up that low with his snake step but it puts him at neutral frames whereas his other options put you at +9 or +10. You can do it but you're likely to just get jabbed out of your follow up and the only thing likely to land is the 1 which does like no damage. Doing 2,3df seems to be the best bet for going into snake step at close range. df1 is your standard quick midcheck at 13 frames, db2 though is only one frame slower to start up and you can hit confirm it into 1 then for the heat engager which is really good. db2,1 is really good when used well in general. b3 is a slower mid poke (19 frames I think) that leaves you at a bit of an advantage on block, good to throw out if you've got someone really mashy blocking your jabs. A lot of people think its way more punishable than it is so you can follow it up with more jab strings and hit them as they try and punish pretty reliably. Has a long recovery on whiff though so really make sure you're up close so its at least blocked

df4 is a good longer range mid poke, 14 frames, good range and is safe. Also has a low of followups. df4,1,3 is a common combo ender, good chunk of damage and high pushback. You can do df4,1 into snake step which puts you at a good frame advantage for your mixups from that. df4,3 is a little slow but does good damage and gives you plus frames on block, can be good to throw out sometimes to catch people off guard.

b3+4 is a pretty standard power crush/heat engager, though it comes out fast and has a good range, so if your timing is good with it you can use it to get into heat from a bit of a distance. Speaking of heat engagers, this is where shaheen shines. The timing can be tricky playing online depending on the latency, but during the run-up after you land the engager you can hold down then hit up+2 as soon as you get control back to do al-ghul master, which launches if they don't block it and breaks guard and leaves you at +14. If you're good at doing the quick input fb2 it is guaranteed if they block. Its a little tricky as you need to get off your charge d,u2 the instant its possible and get the quick input. I've gotten pretty consistent at it and it just feels nasty. In a really good way. but at the same time I know its gotta piss some people off but obv I don't care. That being said if they duck al-ghul master they can launch punish you so its a little risky but I've only run into like 2 players who did that so its safe enough against red ranked level players

the slide feels awkward to pull off at first but man its a good move. Its range catches people off guard and you can follow it up with a 2 out of snake step (which he goes into after landing the slide) and then do uf+1,d into another slide (you have to do the df,d,df movement like right when his feet are about to touch the ground). Then repeat a second time. I haven't figured out how much damage the whole thing does but the second slide feels guaranteed if you're quick with it. idk if it actually is though

I've said before that his heat burst out of snake step is really good and it is. doing it out of a string that you cancel into snake step catches a lot of people as it has to be one of the fastest activating lows in the game. Good heat bursts overall, not the highest damage but they fast and having a mid and a low option is nice. The mid one puts you in snake step after it too so I've had luck catching people with the df1,2 out of it. usually just the 2 though

I've been doing 2,3df, df1,2 at the start of rounds a lot and it catches a lot of people, deletes half their life bar and leaves them on the ground to get oki'd. Insanely good if it lands and is pretty safe on block

Overall he's stronger than I thought going in. even without combos he can do a lot of damage just jabbing people down and landing his strings. I'm glad I learned him because I've gotten a lot better at knowing when to attack and block, movement and keeping spacing, game fundamentals in general. He's very underrated and outside of being boring in his lore and stuff I think good play with him looks really stylish and there's a lot of cool stuff he can do

I hope this helps if there's anyone trying to learn him. also interested in any other hot tips as a not a lot of people play him so info is a little scarce

oh also his ws2 is a great launcher, I like to throw it out after a d3 or d1 and try and catch people with it then, its the launcher I've had the most luck landing consistently with him. 4,1 can also launch on counterhit, probably his least obvious launcher but 4,1 is a good string in general so its well worth mentioning

Revins fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 24, 2024

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

also the only players I've ever seen one and done in quick matches are king and jin/dvj players. why are you one and done-ing in quick matches, whats the point

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Pretty much everyone in Tekken is a rushdown character, that's just the game (which is good news for you!). I play Hwoarang, and he is really fun and you get to press a shitload of buttons, but I gotta tell you, you are not setting yourself up for success as a brand new player with that pick. Lili is like 1/10 the complexity to learn, so I recommend sticking to her for a while. Ling and Yoshi also have lots of gimmicky stuff to get distracted by when you should be focused on applying movement and basic tools.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I just figured out that on the ps5 controller you can do the df,d,df input for the slide by just wiggling the bottom bit of the d-pad front back front if you press in and rock your thumb on it. it makes it a lot easier

e: oh one last hot shaheen tip then I'm done: if someone blocks one of your b3's you can catch them mashing with f,b2 esp if you can land the quick input for it. its something I just starting experimenting with but results against really mashy people have been promising. its been a good way to delete their recoverable health pretty reliably, as well as trying to just go in with snake step then df1,2

Revins fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 24, 2024

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I will actually read your Shaheen posts when I am awake since I mucked around with him a little and found him fairly intuitive.

As for low chat that I missed my favourite low to end the round on is Kuma's Break'n. Salmon Hunting has the range and the power but there's nothing like watching a srs bsns character stare agape as this bear breakdance spins into their ankles to secure the round.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is Jack really that good this time around?

I've been having success with him, but I never see the guy in dark green ranks at all besides me

Will be in yellow ranks soon, maybe he's there more.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Brosnan posted:

Pretty much everyone in Tekken is a rushdown character, that's just the game (which is good news for you!). I play Hwoarang, and he is really fun and you get to press a shitload of buttons, but I gotta tell you, you are not setting yourself up for success as a brand new player with that pick. Lili is like 1/10 the complexity to learn, so I recommend sticking to her for a while. Ling and Yoshi also have lots of gimmicky stuff to get distracted by when you should be focused on applying movement and basic tools.

Are you enjoying Tekken 8 and the direction it's going? Like the heat stuff. I remember you were the Tekken vet when Tekken 7 came out.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Jack was by far my hardest matchup in Tekken 7. I think I only had like a 35% win rate. He was also my strongest character at like a 75% win rate. It's not because he's broken or too good, but he does have the most powerful Tekken buff of all: he's a generally strong character that nobody plays so no one knows what to expect. I hear he's even better in 8 because he inherited some Gigas stuff.

As for game ending lows I don't think anything beats Feng's db3. Near instant, homing like precision, hits from across the screen, high crushes and counter hits for extra damage and mixup. What more can you ask for? I guess safety but that's for cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Man newbies don't block low and press buttons all the time it is basically a God move at lower ranks.