Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, this is what an actual populist takeover of a party looks like. Very unfortunate that America is such a demonic country that the populace rallies around Donald loving Trump instead of Bernie, but them's the breaks.

Well, this is literally tyrany by the minority. The hardcore maga voters are what, 15-20 percent of the overall population and 30 percent of the GOP ? But they are so loud and potentially violent that the other 70 percent of the GOP is cowed by them, and cowed by the attacks they would suffer from Fox News if they grew a spine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Is it a given that Lara Trump will be installed at the RNC?

I mean, the GOP has basically caved to Trump in every way at this point, starting with having no party platform except “TRUMP”, followed by the failures to impeach and then becoming a more complete capitulation with McCarthy going down to Mar a Lago and signing over the keys to GOP fundraising to Trump.

Putting the family formally in charge of the RNC and its money is kind of the final step, along with changing the name to the Trump Party. Will there even be any resistance to this final step? I see little reason why there would be.

The GOP caved to Trump on RNC leadership a long time ago. Ronna McDaniel was Trump's pick for RNC leadership in the first place, and with Trump's endorsement in her pocket she went on to be the longest-serving RNC Chairman in history. Now the reason she's quitting is that Trump doesn't like her anymore, and the frontrunners for replacing her are Trump's picks.

Even if someone runs against her, they'll probably be even more MAGA than she is. McDaniel's opponents last time around were Harmeet Dhillon (a Trump 2020 adviser who publicly called for the Supreme Court to swing the election to Trump), Mike Lindell, and Lee Zeldin. The moderate faction of the GOP barely even exists anymore.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

volts5000 posted:

Also, didn't see this mentioned. Check your phones because there's been a big cellular network outage across the country and affecting the big three carriers.

AT&T customers hit by widespread cellular outages in U.S.

This hit me, didn't have service for about 8 hours. Some of the later reporting I saw while keeping an eye on it this morning suggested that it was just AT&T, and the complaints regarding other carriers were likely from people trying to call/text AT&T customers.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
The Republicans were so close to the end of their political breeding program, the perfect setup came in 2016 with McConnell holding them an SC seat open, but instead of their Kwisatz Haderach to usher in their golden age they got Trump. Oops.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CateMartel/status/1760711946741916000

Hell yeah I hit the Babbitt Murder 4x bonus during MAGA multiball

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

...with taser?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If the business wing continues to get marginalized by Trump and the culture warriors, will they ever suck up and switch to supporting the Dems?

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Kammat posted:

The Republicans were so close to the end of their political breeding program, the perfect setup came in 2016 with McConnell holding them an SC seat open, but instead of their Kwisatz Haderach to usher in their golden age they got Trump. Oops.

Someoneee sounds extremely ready for March 1st.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If the business wing continues to get marginalized by Trump and the culture warriors, will they ever suck up and switch to supporting the Dems?

depends. the GOP office holding ghouls like haley/romney/cheney? probably not because they want power still and think if they hold out they might get rewarded after trump dies. romney Might back biden to a degree but nothing more. the regular voters. yeah alot of them have flipped to blue or indipendent. I know a bunch. they dont like the dems but they hate the chuds and are scared of trump.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No, because they don't really care about anything except tax cuts.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Dapper_Swindler posted:

depends. the GOP ghouls like haley/romney/cheney? probably not because they want power still and think if they hold out they might get rewarded after trump dies. the regular voters. yeah alot of them have flipped to blue. I know a bunch. they dont like the dems but they hate the chuds and are scared of trump.

Remember to tell anyone who tries to claim they're "a fiscal conservative but a social liberal" that they're a Democrat now.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

volts5000 posted:

Well, it helps that billionaires have set up entire media empires across many fronts to make it happen.

Yeah. People aren't inherently bad, it's just that billions spent on media outreach will make them bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sarcastro posted:

Remember to tell anyone who tries to claim they're "a fiscal conservative but a social liberal" that they're a Democrat now.

i do that to my dad every time we talk and he brings up something that horrofied him from the news or from my uncle.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Why are these people so loving weird

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cr0y posted:

because "owning the libs" and weird chud bullshit is their core personality.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

Well, this is literally tyrany by the minority. The hardcore maga voters are what, 15-20 percent of the overall population and 30 percent of the GOP ? But they are so loud and potentially violent that the other 70 percent of the GOP is cowed by them, and cowed by the attacks they would suffer from Fox News if they grew a spine.

They aren't cowed, they are active, enthusiastic participants. There is no difference between someone who goes to a Trump rally and flies a Trump flag and a person who doesn't do that but still votes for Trump. They are the same and any attempt to differentiate is not just futile, but actively harmful in my opinion. It inevitably leads to "well what can we do to cater to these voters and get them to do x" when there is no way to cater to them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cr0y posted:

It's an incredible grift if you can pull it off and have zero sense of shame. Not only is it extremely lucrative to sell crap to Trump's personality cult, but the MAGAs possess so much influence in the GOP that a relative political newbie can leapfrog past the senior Republicans to snag top leadership positions and important seats if they just fellate the MAGAs enough.

Mike Johnson ran for his first political position ever in 2015, and just eight years later he was Speaker of the House. It's an absurdly fast rise enabled pretty much entirely by his close ties to Trump and the MAGA wing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/demsocsean/status/1760457082568860146

Impressive numbers from Tlaib. Cori Bush is loving cooked.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/demsocsean/status/1760457082568860146

Impressive numbers from Tlaib. Cori Bush is loving cooked.

I've been out of the loop. What happened with Cori Bush? Is it that scandal with hiring her husband as a bodyguard or something like that?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

zoux posted:

not even a real pinball machine, just a 3d screen. pathetic

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

They would rather retire from politics on their own terms if they don't get removed by primary. They'll remain in their business voting bloc for as long as they can hold out. But they're more likely to run as independent than run as Democrats. As conservative and pro-business as mainstream Dems are, no business Republican would ever in a million years wear that mantle.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kith posted:

not even a real pinball machine, just a 3d screen. pathetic

Why bother putting in actual effort to pander to these people when they're gullible enough to fork over cash for the absolute cheapest lowest-effort poo poo as long as it has the right branding?

https://twitter.com/CateMartel/status/1760715247617249741

Woke TearsTM Water doesn't say where their water comes from, but personally I'd put even money on it being either tap water or another bottled water brand poured out into new bottles. They even include extra bottle stickers as extra freebies so customers can put them on their canteens and poo poo.

They're not really selling products, they're selling identity and community. Not much point in putting effort into a product when people are only going to buy it to display the branding conspicuously so everyone knows how they want to be seen.

Similarly, the J6 pinball is the product of one random loving nobody who makes modded tables for a pinball simulator game, and then carts his pinball setup to conservative events in hopes that he can convince someone to hire him to make custom Pinball Simulator tables for them. It's not a serious political event anymore, if it ever was, it's a culture convention for obsessive right-politics fans.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

It's an incredible grift if you can pull it off and have zero sense of shame. Not only is it extremely lucrative to sell crap to Trump's personality cult, but the MAGAs possess so much influence in the GOP that a relative political newbie can leapfrog past the senior Republicans to snag top leadership positions and important seats if they just fellate the MAGAs enough.

Mike Johnson ran for his first political position ever in 2015, and just eight years later he was Speaker of the House. It's an absurdly fast rise enabled pretty much entirely by his close ties to Trump and the MAGA wing.

for what its worth I do respect the regressive machine actually getting some younger blood in it, like Dems still have a problem, like voting matters, but actually getting younger people(aka under 50? 60?) in its organization is also important.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When I was in high school we’d just go to Spencer’s or something at the mall and buy gag gifts like this.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Just yeet the frozen storage cylinders into a courthouse and peel out of there. Their problem now.

I hear you can drop them off at a firehouse or some libraries. :v:

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Eric Cantonese posted:

I've been out of the loop. What happened with Cori Bush? Is it that scandal with hiring her husband as a bodyguard or something like that?

Even worse, she spoke out against the genocide

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

koolkal posted:

That doesn't make sense, as I'm pretty certain everyone in the Squad did.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

koolkal posted:

So did Tlaib, but she is raising tons of money for an uncontested race.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Aum shinrikyo had like a Cobra level weapons development and human testing with biological warfare. there is an old great episode of last podcast on the left about how its a mirical the saren attack wasnt as bad as it could have been. they did like chemical weapons testing in new zeland too. like they made AQ plans look like kindergarten doodles and probably had the brains to do it alot of it.

I did a short presentation on Aum Shinrukyo back on my Master's and yeah it is not at all exaggeration to say the outcome of the Tokyo subway sarin attack was a miracle. Like full on divine intervention levels. It's like if 9/11 happened and not only did everyone in both towers survive but so did some people on the planes.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

zoux posted:

This is a reskinned version of Dirty Harry which uhhhhhhhhhhhh sure fits CPAC!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Ms Adequate posted:

I did a short presentation on Aum Shinrukyo back on my Master's and yeah it is not at all exaggeration to say the outcome of the Tokyo subway sarin attack was a miracle. Like full on divine intervention levels. It's like if 9/11 happened and not only did everyone in both towers survive but so did some people on the planes.

How? They just had some cans the opened with umbrellas that released some gas and almost killed the people doing it?

What was the amazing thing about it?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

She's way behind in the polls and just generally isn't faring well. In particular, she pissed off local factory workers with a number of votes and stances they didn't like, particularly her vote against Biden's infrastructure bill. That's just about the worst thing you can do in a Rust Belt district. Her stance on Israel is attracting some money to her opponent too, and I'm sure the ethics investigation isn't helping her either, but the fact that the local manufacturing and construction unions have endorsed her opponent is something that Matters quite a bit in St. Louis.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Woke TearsTM Water doesn't say where their water comes from, but personally I'd put even money on it being either tap water or another bottled water brand poured out into new bottles. They even include extra bottle stickers as extra freebies so customers can put them on their canteens and poo poo.

They're not really selling products, they're selling identity and community. Not much point in putting effort into a product when people are only going to buy it to display the branding conspicuously so everyone knows how they want to be seen.

Can't help but notice that the image of their crying lib is AI-generated. Like zero effort.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Comstar posted:

How? They just had some cans the opened with umbrellas that released some gas and almost killed the people doing it?

They released actual literal nerve gas into a packed subway station and only killed about a dozen people. The miracle is that it wasn’t much worse

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Comstar posted:

If they’d put 1/10th of the effort that they put into manufacturing the chemical into building an effective dispersal system they’d have killed a lot of people.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

https://x.com/AccountableGOP/status/1760761957437599856?s=20

edit - Jack's role in the deliberate fracturing of reality, leading to the spread of conspiracy narratives and the general insane-ification of the world, is critically underreported

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 23, 2024

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

zoux posted:

It's crazy how everything bad that happens is somehow the Democrats' fault. I do agree they should've used their 60-vote Senate supermajority to pass a SCOTUS reform bill in 2021, but I guess they are just too decorum poisoned.

Kari Lake is trying to pivot to the middle and, lol
https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/1760346193630990352

Just lol at Kari "Mistake by the" Lake trying to rebrand herself as a motherfucking uniter.

lol, lmao

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

zoux posted:

It's crazy how everything bad that happens is somehow the Democrats' fault. I do agree they should've used their 60-vote Senate supermajority to pass a SCOTUS reform bill in 2021, but I guess they are just too decorum poisoned.

Kari Lake is trying to pivot to the middle and, lol
https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/1760346193630990352

This is maybe the only funny post Meghan McCain has ever made, so critical support to her. Also, lots of extremely salty people in the replies with blue ticks because that's how twitter is now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

yeah, i believe 2 of the attackers messed up puncturing the bags and one only punctured 1 because he didnt want to do it.

Moktaro posted:

Just lol at Kari "Mistake by the" Lake trying to rebrand herself as a motherfucking uniter.

lol, lmao

she might have a dawing realization she has to have moderate conservatives on her side but lol.

Comstar posted:

not all the bags were punctured right, the release system needed a bunch of exact ways to do it correctly. some did it wrong because they felt rushed and one did it because i believe he saw a women or a kid and didnt want to go fully through with it. this wasnt a group of a couple theocrats at the top and bunch of musle and angry kids, alot of the memembers were advanced scientists and poo poo. like if you made a cast of the nerds from big bang theory but they all worshiped some fat dude who smelled like poo poo and thought he would make space star detroyers to blow up the US and china and was an ultra nationlists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGI5lL9lv5o
listen to the last podcast episode on it. also just this is good summery of the attack.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bucky Fullminster posted:

https://x.com/AccountableGOP/status/1760761957437599856?s=20

edit - Jack's role in the deliberate fracturing of reality, leading to the spread of conspiracy narratives and the general insane-ification of the world, is critically underreported

i like how it starts with a jocular tone and 'just satirizing the libs lol', then quickly seems to lose irony towards the end there followed by the other guy giving an Amen.