Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

Like you can just patch your game in place when the new release drops and keep playing your save :shrug:

Oh I had no idea this was the case. Well then, I guess there's no time better than the present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's less the density, which if anything I enjoy about morrowind, so much as the old-style stationary object NPCs. apparently the oblivion-onward thing of giving NPCs rudimentary schedules actually did a lot to make the world feel more alive. it's the one thing about morrowind that feels exceptionally dated to me, whereas most of the rest of the game holds up frankly quite well

There are old mods that do that and lock doors at night and stuff, but it's nice not having to pay attention to the clock to find an open shop. Also it means making an npc for mods like tr is a 10 second process and not an hour

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Private Speech posted:

From the UK (please do not mention saying oval office).

"You're talking bollocks" would be less hostile imo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Eric the Mauve posted:

"Nah, you're full of poo poo" wasn't supposed to be insulting?

ha! fine words from one born from the wrong end of a guar.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You could probably just remove the guards from shops and that would boost up that in game justification that no one is getting much sleep ( the bad dreams the player encounters qre actually pretty wide spread). You can buy stuff at 3:00 am because the shop keeper actually is up.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Doc Hawkins posted:

ha! fine words from one born from the wrong end of a guar.

If people are gonna go aggro, at least use lore-friendly insults, you bunch of n'wahs.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Drone posted:

I have a problem with TR: every time I get in the Morrowind mood and want to finally dive into TR, they post an update on the next upcoming expansion that's still probably months away, and it makes me want to not sink time into the current version (which will, someday, become the old version!).

I realize this is a stupid problem.

Something that really works for me is using an alternate start mod (such as the excellent CREL), starting in the Mainland, and just not touching the main quest at all. Give yourself a goal, such as completing a local quest chain, and go from there. This leads to somewhat shorter playthroughs, but a lot of build variety, which can be a lot of fun!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Something about morrowind really does it for me, but man I wish the game had like slightly more alive feeling NPCs.

Friends and Foes is probably what you want. It's a more modern take on Morrowind Comes Alive.

Enrico la Spaniard fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 20, 2024

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can easily recommend Repopulated Morrowind, adds plenty of randos around town and in some guilds but also gives some of them advanced animations like "sitting down", "reading book", "praying at shrine", of the several population mods it's my favourite

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Enrico la Spaniard posted:

Something that really works for me is using an alternate start mod (such as the excellent CREL), starting in the Mainland, and just not touching the main quest at all. Give yourself a goal, such as completing a local quest chain, and go from there. This leads to somewhat shorter playthroughs, but a lot of build variety, which can be a lot of fun!
This is the correct approach. I don't think TR has much high level content so treat it as like an anthology series

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I disagree, I think tr content level-wise is proportioned along the same ratio as the base game. But at this point there's probably more content in TR than in vanilla and of higher quality to boot. Generally the higher level areas are further away from the island, it even has its own seyda neen counterpart directly across the channel.

If anyone hasn't seen this map, it gives you an idea of how much there is to do:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Wait the first TR area released in 2006?

I'm really getting old huh.

e: Somewhat relatedly my first post ITT was over a decade ago and happened to be about, uh, the third TR release.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 21, 2024

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

I disagree, I think tr content level-wise is proportioned along the same ratio as the base game. But at this point there's probably more content in TR than in vanilla and of higher quality to boot. Generally the higher level areas are further away from the island, it even has its own seyda neen counterpart directly across the channel.

If anyone hasn't seen this map, it gives you an idea of how much there is to do:

The old Telvanni stuff here is probably not worth doing, right? I know they've mentioned a bunch that it's going to get a big revamp at some point.

Anyway I just opted for a fresh OpenMW installation using the I Heart Vanilla: Directors Cut, and it looks like they added a little mod to it that gives you a breadcrumb quest from Seyda Neen (via Addamasartus) to the mainland, so I'll give that a go.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
New TR and Project Tamriel content > Old TR, vanilla Morrowind > Tribunal, Bloodmoon

Just imho

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Drone posted:

The old Telvanni stuff here is probably not worth doing, right? I know they've mentioned a bunch that it's going to get a big revamp at some point.

Correct, but way down the line. Probably. They surprise me sometimes with what they say they're working on. I know Almalexia will likely be dead last.

Anyway, the Telvanni stuff isn't bad by any stretch, but it definitely pales in comparison to the new TR content. There's a lengthy quest chain for Master Mithras, the lord of Ranyon-ruhn, so he offers the most Telvanni questing by far. I think some other councilors have minor errands as well, but none of it is memorable.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I still think the Port Telvannis stuff is fun, even if it's not as good as their current output; it's more Morrowind at about the same quality as the base game. Hell, it might be fun to see how it changes whenever they get to it. I definitely think the biggest change is probably the balance, however. TR is very well balanced now, but I think you can find some very strong stuff very easily in the older material. There's a stupidly strong Daedric spear you can find in a ruin on the main road of the Telvanni island that's not too hard if you go in prepared, for example.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Drone posted:

Anyway I just opted for a fresh OpenMW installation using the I Heart Vanilla: Directors Cut, and it looks like they added a little mod to it that gives you a breadcrumb quest from Seyda Neen (via Addamasartus) to the mainland, so I'll give that a go.

the old telvanni stuff has a rework + endgame thats recently been merged. next minor release will probably include it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Enrico la Spaniard posted:

Friends and Foes is probably what you want. It's a more modern take on Morrowind Comes Alive.

Jay Rust posted:

I can easily recommend Repopulated Morrowind, adds plenty of randos around town and in some guilds but also gives some of them advanced animations like "sitting down", "reading book", "praying at shrine", of the several population mods it's my favourite

Ty for the suggestions. I like the sparseness of morrowind's population, but the completely static npcs is the one thing that just takes me out of the game. Second one seems kinda perfect because I'm not really looking to change the feel of the game much, I just need, like, a little taste of them being anything other than vending machines

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Wasn't there some attempt at NPC schedules for Morrowind? It didn't sound like it worked very well though.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There is one that just moves all non guard NPCs in a town to a local indoor cell between certain times. Simple but effective.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Is there a way to just conveniently install TR and get going with it? Or does it have a thousand other required mods that all each require tweaking and messing about with?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pretty sure TR just requires TR_Data and TR_Mainland and that's it.

That said I very much recommend https://modding-openmw.com/lists/i-heart-vanilla-directors-cut/ as a manageable little modlist with a lot of oomf in terms of QoL and added content, but it sorta requires you to already be OpenMWpilled and willing to follow instructions to the letter. Overall took me a little over an hour to set up (not including one or two sloooow downloads from Nexus).

Put a few hours into TR now, questing my way around Old Ebonheart and doing Thieves Guild stuff. Can already definitely see a huge difference in quality of the quest writing vs. the OG game. Pumped to play more.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 22, 2024

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Fuckfuckfuuuuck

Reading the thread suddenly makes me want to spend another 2 Weeks modding morrowind again.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding that Morrowind multiplayer mod, is there any sort of add-on mod that changes the game to account for multiple players? Like increasing enemy hp and damage? Or maybe even increasing the spawns? Regular Morrowind would be a curb stomp with two players and an absolute bore at three, so something needs to change if I ever realize my dream of forcing my favorite game down my friends throats.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Regarding that Morrowind multiplayer mod, is there any sort of add-on mod that changes the game to account for multiple players? Like increasing enemy hp and damage? Or maybe even increasing the spawns? Regular Morrowind would be a curb stomp with two players and an absolute bore at three, so something needs to change if I ever realize my dream of forcing my favorite game down my friends throats.

isnt that just the difficulty slider? i think there are some built in commands to force that setting on everyone

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

mbt posted:

isnt that just the difficulty slider? i think there are some built in commands to force that setting on everyone

I suppose I was really hoping for a mod that was, like "when enemy aggros, spawn a second copy!", something like that.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
There's a mod like that for cliffracers but I don't think you want it

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll lead my friends down a foyada then go AFK.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

the foyada mamaea?

god it's been 20 years since i first played and that name is still in the front of my mind

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

https://github.com/Boyos999/AdditionalSpawnSystem/tree/main

You will probably want to change the config to not duplicate cliff racers

Also since respawns do not work in mp you will need a gold restock script for merchants

https://github.com/Nkfree/-TES3MP-Miscellaneous/tree/main

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

the foyada mamaea?

god it's been 20 years since i first played and that name is still in the front of my mind

Same, I replayed for the first time in awhile like last year and was unusually excited to get back to “largely empty volcanic valley.”

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
mamaea is a particular "fire river", but foyada is just the term for those natural trails formed by lava flow. But yes, I'll lead them Foyada Mamae and urge them onward to the safety of those ruins formed of cyclopean stone.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Have each friend join a different House so you can have cute lil pvp house wars

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Jay Rust posted:

Have each friend join a different House so you can have cute lil pvp house wars

Out of curiosity what would happen with stronghold building if you did this?

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
tes3mp treats all players as the same party, as in each player counts as "the player" and journals are shared. What one has done all have done. So in regular gameplay you cannot join multiple houses. Maybe you can do it with console commands but then quests will have you killing your own house members and get you expelled. So to answer your question: nothing interesting

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Drone posted:

Pretty sure TR just requires TR_Data and TR_Mainland and that's it.

That said I very much recommend https://modding-openmw.com/lists/i-heart-vanilla-directors-cut/ as a manageable little modlist with a lot of oomf in terms of QoL and added content, but it sorta requires you to already be OpenMWpilled and willing to follow instructions to the letter. Overall took me a little over an hour to set up (not including one or two sloooow downloads from Nexus).

Put a few hours into TR now, questing my way around Old Ebonheart and doing Thieves Guild stuff. Can already definitely see a huge difference in quality of the quest writing vs. the OG game. Pumped to play more.

Dumb question, but how do you get there just starting out? I want to do a mix of OG Morrowind and TR. I’m not very experienced in Morrowind.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

rocket_man38 posted:

Dumb question, but how do you get there just starting out? I want to do a mix of OG Morrowind and TR. I’m not very experienced in Morrowind.

It's integrated in the base game so mages guild teleports, some boats at ports in the south/east, or just casting water walking and going across the inner sea are probably the easiest ways to get to the mainland.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Love the image of a muck farmer peasant watching a cheap-rear end wizard just walking across the ocean up onto the beach because he doesn’t want to pay 18 septims for the ferry

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Love the image of a muck farmer peasant watching a cheap-rear end wizard just walking across the ocean up onto the beach because he doesn’t want to pay 18 septims for the ferry

You don't get to be a millionaire rocking the most expensive enchanted armor and clothes by spending frivolously, also walking over the water is a more subtle display of your superiority over everyone than levitating.

Fun wizards use scrolls of Icarian flight to get to the mainland though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

rocket_man38 posted:

Simplest is to take a boat to Old Ebonheart from either Vivec or from Fort Ebonheart (confusing, I know... Fort is the castle from vanilla, Old is the big new city on the mainland).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

PolarPear posted:

You don't get to be a millionaire rocking the most expensive enchanted armor and clothes by spending frivolously, also walking over the water is a more subtle display of your superiority over everyone than levitating.

Fun wizards use scrolls of Icarian flight to get to the mainland though.

In Oblivion, you can cast water walk on your horse. I like to imagine there would be a whole logistics network of rivers and lakes being used as highways for horses buffed with water walking and fortify speed.