Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Tom Green (the WCW Deep Cuts guy) posted this today:

https://twitter.com/NotThatTomGreen/status/1760338376966717454

If you’ve enjoyed his stuff and are able to, consider a donation. He’s already almost halfway there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/paytonsun/status/1760450746829418651

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

It's clearly the lyrics to Test's theme.

Pretty tall long hair with a goatee

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Glad to see him kick out :unsmith:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hell yeah

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

If you’ve enjoyed his stuff and are able to, consider a donation. He’s already almost halfway there!

Tom's a good dude and I love his stream. Wish I could kick in more.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Pretty tall long hair with a goatee

Ham it up with your hay and your codpiece

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1760632569798828350

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

algebra testes posted:

That was a fun read, well done.

HonorableTB posted:

This was good! Well done

Thank you!

Lid posted:

I'm surprised you didn't say The Giant. The gap between The Giant and The Big Show is parsecs and Vince paid out the nose because he said WCW didn't know how to book a Giant only to waste him for twenty years.

That's fair. I've always been apathetic to Wight, so he's kind of a blind spot to me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gavok posted:

That's fair. I've always been apathetic to Wight, so he's kind of a blind spot to me.

Belatedly chiming in to say it's a fun read and I'd never heard of the Raven/Shane drinking buddies thing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dawgstar posted:

Belatedly chiming in to say it's a fun read and I'd never heard of the Raven/Shane drinking buddies thing.

It's the reason Vince saw Raven in the locker room and yelled, "Who the gently caress hired Raven?!"

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

did Wight really have more good matches in WCW or did they just never book him to look like an idiot like WWF/E did

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Parallax posted:

did Wight really have more good matches in WCW or did they just never book him to look like an idiot like WWF/E did

No he had more good matches in WWE. He even managed good matches with The Undertaker, The Big Show was a miracle worker.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Parallax posted:

The Giant as the WCW champ was pretty fun to watch in 1995 in the midst of the goofy Dungeon of Doom nonsense but it wasn't ""good"", that's about the most I can say about his WCW run because the rest of it ranges from mediocre to bad depending on the booker and year.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The giant did insane poo poo like a top rope missle dropkick

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i was one of maybe four people that liked big shows ecw title run

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I think a lot of people on here liked it although by the end the guy could barely move. The Flair match was crazy at the time.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I think a lot of people on here liked it although by the end the guy could barely move. The Flair match was crazy at the time.

I felt like flair did the most to get his cobra clutch over as this absolute killer of a move its too bad he never really went back to it

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Paul Wight in his athletic prime was doing moonsaults and kip-ups and it owned. Hogan wouldn't allow him to do a moonsault on tv so we never got to see it, but he confirmed there was a tape of him busting out a moonsault in Japan but figures the tape has since been lost through the years.

quote:

It's funny. I used to do drop kicks off the top, I've done moonsaults. The moonsault thing got killed. The one time I did it, it wasn’t in a live event and it’s before they had cell phone cameras so, there wasn’t any documented evidence of it but, it got around and I got back to my hotel and my hotel phone had a message light and I think I was in Japan and so I called, I picked up the message and it was Hulk (Hogan) who wanted me to call him collect from Japan. Because this is before cell phones so I called Hulk and Hulk told me flat out if I ever did a moonsault again, he’d never work with me again and hung up. ‘Giants don’t do moonsaults.’ When I first started, I was way too athletic for my size and what the industry was used to for a big man and what the industry wanted from me as a giant. I wasn’t as athletic as Undertaker by any means, but I was a giant that was way too athletic than to be a giant so it was a hard struggle early in my career to figure out who I was supposed to be.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 22, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Long, long before I watched wrestling, Giant was my favorite wrestler in the world because I rented WCW/nWo Revenge and put him in the green biker outfit and renamed him SUPER LUIGI and dominated all the modes with him. And then my friend who did watch wrestling rented some WWF game and I asked if Giant was in it because he was the only wrestler I knew and that's how I learned about Big Show.

And if WCW did one thing so right it was Buffer's title match introductions. I love when he's doing the announcing and he's just like "THE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD...HE...IS.....GIANT!". Like, yeah, not THE Giant, he's just Giant. That's what he is. Badass. :hai:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Hogan ruined a lot of wrestling didn't he?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

No he had more good matches in WWE. He even managed good matches with The Undertaker, The Big Show was a miracle worker.

As a friend pointed out, unlike a lot of giants in wrestling Show would probably still be in wrestling even if he wasn't a giant.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

He sure did, Hoots. He sure did.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There's things Hulk Hogan was wrong about but Paul Wight is much, much better off scrapping the top rope moves, especially the moonsault.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I feel like just a vanilla top rope splash, while less flashy, would be one hell of a thing to pull out in a super big match. Like, super finisher level, since that's starting to become a thing these days.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I loved it. He looked like a monster fighting children and old men

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

NameHurtBrain posted:

I feel like just a vanilla top rope splash, while less flashy, would be one hell of a thing to pull out in a super big match. Like, super finisher level, since that's starting to become a thing these days.

There was a time in WCW or maybe WWF, I don't remember, but Big Show got superplexed from the top rope and the ring imploded. Might have been with Lesnar maybe? That was sick

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I felt like flair did the most to get his cobra clutch over as this absolute killer of a move its too bad he never really went back to it

Yeah, gently caress moonsaults, he should never have dropped the cobra clutch backbreaker. All time great finisher for such a big guy.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

The only way I would except Big Shows big moonsault would be in those periods where he was especially fat.

And it should have broken the ring every time.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Has anyone ever called a moonsault a “full moonsault”?

I could see it working for Ember Moon or Billy Gunn. They could be a tag team. Called Full Moon.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IS4KsccB7A

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Sandman from ECW posted:

Has anyone ever called a moonsault a “full moonsault”?

I could see it working for Ember Moon or Billy Gunn. They could be a tag team. Called Full Moon.

My wrestling buddy SeXXXy Eddy calls a moonsault of his the Full Moon.

He does happen to be naked when he does it

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

stab posted:

My wrestling buddy SeXXXy Eddy calls a moonsault of his the Full Moon.

He does happen to be naked when he does it

Yikes. Gross. Highly Problematic.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Sandman from ECW posted:

Yikes. Gross. Highly Problematic.

But honest.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Long, long before I watched wrestling, Giant was my favorite wrestler in the world because I rented WCW/nWo Revenge and put him in the green biker outfit and renamed him SUPER LUIGI and dominated all the modes with him. And then my friend who did watch wrestling rented some WWF game and I asked if Giant was in it because he was the only wrestler I knew and that's how I learned about Big Show.

And if WCW did one thing so right it was Buffer's title match introductions. I love when he's doing the announcing and he's just like "THE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD...HE...IS.....GIANT!". Like, yeah, not THE Giant, he's just Giant. That's what he is. Badass. :hai:

one of the best parts of peak wcw is hands down Michael buffer making up his own nicknames and accolades for wrestlers that 1) no one else ever used and 2) mostly made no sense

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

shiksa posted:

one of the best parts of peak wcw is hands down Michael buffer making up his own nicknames and accolades for wrestlers that 1) no one else ever used and 2) mostly made no sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd6erp90LyE&t=345s

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mr Hootington posted:

OTOH Hogan might be why Paul Wight had a 20+ year career instead of a 10 year career. He probably would have inflicted a ton of wear and tear on his body trying to do that stuff on the reg.
I also remember when he did the missle dropkick in WCW. It took him like 3 hours to balance himself on the top rope. Personally I'd rather see 10 years of moonsaulting Big Show than 20 years of boring Big Show but I know that's selfish of me.

Also: ultimately Vince saw Wight as more of a swiss army knife than a monster. Which isn't completely unfair. You can't be a monster for 20 years. Eventually you lose enough that the aura that makes a monster work is lost. Also nobody wanted to job to him when he came in.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 22, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In the Retro reviews, Bryan and them brought up a few times how Paul Wight claimed once that he didn't know how to "work like a Giant" until he was wrestling Austin one time in like, I dunno, 2002 or 2003. Some dumb poo poo.

Guy seemed to do a phenomenal job at it in WCW. He only forgot when he went to WWF.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Guy seemed to do a phenomenal job at it in WCW. He only forgot when he went to WWF.

Was it that he forgot or was that he was told to wrestle in the WWE house style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ChrisBTY posted:

OTOH Hogan might be why Paul Wight had a 20+ year career instead of a 10 year career. He probably would have inflicted a ton of wear and tear on his body trying to do that stuff on the reg.

Hogan’s said he probably should have used a submission finisher when he had the 24-inch pythons instead of wrecking his body with the leg drop and that’s probably the only time he’s been right about anything.

Dawgstar posted:

Was it that he forgot or was that he was told to wrestle in the WWE house style?

I thought it was Vince wanting him to work the lumbering giant style.