Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

raverrn posted:

No idea who or what the Scorcher is for. The game seems to put a ton of worth into the 'explosive' tag and the gun's tiny, tiny AoE. The only upside I can find is that you can kill striders from the front - but it takes 2-3 shots to manage it. You're basically never going to hit more than one enemy with it, and it's weak enough that you might not one-shot-kill hunters and basic automatons. It might be pretty good against spewers, but you can't see the enemy compliment before you drop. Just ??? all around.
I and 2 others got hard carried by a dude running the plasma gun on Helldive (difficulty 9) against bugs so my hot take is: use what weapon you think is fun

(Also the real secret behind the plasma AoE is that it solely exists to kill you, the user, for having the hubris to use it in close quarters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

but we control where the ship goes!

You also control where an Uber goes

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When the game came out everyone rated the supply backpack as a must have, but I feel like as people get more experienced they stop magdumping into 0 damage armored parts and move to PoI with ammo pickups instead of standing still and killing every enemy as it spawns.

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

Has anyone broken down how the unsafe vs safe options on the rail gun work? Is it worth the risk?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

When the game came out everyone rated the supply backpack as a must have, but I feel like as people get more experienced they stop magdumping into 0 damage armored parts and move to PoI with ammo pickups instead of standing still and killing every enemy as it spawns.
Mag dumping grenade launcher into a horde of bugs everyday. That's why I have the backpack. Though I've been running Level 7 Blitz lately, so time is of the essence usually.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Xpforr posted:

Has anyone broken down how the unsafe vs safe options on the rail gun work? Is it worth the risk?

It makes bugs explode into a shower of gibs when you shoot them. 10/10

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

We know their main goal is to free the enslaved Cyborgs and they don't take Helldrivers or SEAF prisoners because they're too brainwashed to be deprogrammed.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Xpforr posted:

All I know is if you aren't setting the Railgun to unsafe, you're an enemy of managed democracy and super earth. It's that simple.

It gives more damage with more charge up time you put into it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Xpforr posted:

The unsafe setting is pretty generous. It's like 4+ seconds of charging before it explodes.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's free bonus damage, you need to charge up for a second anyway before firing, maybe you only hold it for 0.1 second longer after the *click* of being fully charged, that's still probably damage.

It's only a downside if you for some reason liked holding the charge for 5+ seconds while hordes of bugs ran towards you waiting for the perfect shot.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

For bugs you do not need to overcharge except on the Titans. A charger's leg takes two shots to take the armor off overcharged or not. And pretty much every other bug gets popped with a safe charge

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Back Hack posted:

We know their main goal is to free the enslaved Cyborgs and they don't take Helldrivers or SEAF prisoners because they're too brainwashed to be deprogrammed.

lmao that the helldivers are so brainwashed, literal robots exhibit more critical thinking

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's free bonus damage, you need to charge up for a second anyway before firing, maybe you only hold it for 0.1 second longer after the *click* of being fully charged, that's still probably damage.

It's only a downside if you for some reason liked holding the charge for 5+ seconds while hordes of bugs ran towards you waiting for the perfect shot.

Wait, so it’s not, “the longer you hold it the more damage it’ll do”? It’s just, wait a bit longer and you get max dmg?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

TBH 90% of the times I've killed myself is getting jostled and thinking I have more time than I did to reacquire and once when I thought my buddies shield pack dome in some fog was a spewer and he kept 'moving into the way.'

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Xpforr posted:

Wait, so it’s not, “the longer you hold it the more damage it’ll do”? It’s just, wait a bit longer and you get max dmg?

Little bar on the side of the gun fills up the longer it's in unsafe mode, in safe mode it stops when it goes *click*, so long as you fire it off before it explodes I figure whatever goes beyond the *click* noise is just adding on damage, there is no good way to test it though but you probably don't have to wait until 0.1 seconds until death to fire for the added bonus.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The damage definitely keeps going up. I've noticed that you can't one-shot Brood Commanders without a close to full charge

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Fun fact: If you keep the trigger pressed and hit the overcharge limit, causing the railgun to explode, it still fires off the shot where you're aiming. I took out a full health Hulk with one shot this way.

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

Yeah, if you’re not constantly having near death experiences with the railgun, are you really using it right?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I really just want to run around shooting bugs with the heavy machine gun and a backpack full of ammo. Going to start doing this and make the rest of my team figure out the details.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sometimes I wish people could grab ammo from my ammo bag so I didn't have to find them and go give them ammo, although I can sorta see why they don't let people just do that. Would definitely suck if you just wanted backup ammo for your GL/MG and people kept taking them to replace their one missing magazine from their sidearm.

Edit: vvv oooh yeah that'd work!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 22, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You should be able to throw it.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I could swear you can grab ammo off your buddy’s backpack by running up to em

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Little bar on the side of the gun fills up the longer it's in unsafe mode, in safe mode it stops when it goes *click*, so long as you fire it off before it explodes I figure whatever goes beyond the *click* noise is just adding on damage, there is no good way to test it though but you probably don't have to wait until 0.1 seconds until death to fire for the added bonus.

It doesn't make all that much difference so long as you are "past" that charge point.
As much as I have used it, no amount of overcharge lowers the shots to kill a Charger or Bile titan below 3: 3 to the head is as good as it gets.

The thing you have to be mindful of is not UNDERcharging it because then it definitely does less.

Every other enemy dies in one shot (or 3 to the vents of a tank/turret tower, 3 to charger/titan heads)

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Owl Inspector posted:

what’s the point of the machine gun sentry compared to gatling?

It’s very situational but I think that the MG sentry seems more accurate over long ranges. This could matter on the really open maps like the barren moons and rocky grassy plains.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Sockerbagarn posted:

Fun fact: If you keep the trigger pressed and hit the overcharge limit, causing the railgun to explode, it still fires off the shot where you're aiming. I took out a full health Hulk with one shot this way.

eye shots with a railgun one shot them regardless!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

CainFortea posted:

For bugs you do not need to overcharge except on the Titans. A charger's leg takes two shots to take the armor off overcharged or not. And pretty much every other bug gets popped with a safe charge
You can actually pop a charger's leg in one overcharged but you have to take it literally all the way to the top bar where you're <1s from exploding. Also I find I get far more reliable one-taps on brood commanders if I let it overcharge a little.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/boxedwong/status/1760504586266423514

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

wait does overcharging not use more ammo?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
No, it always uses one ammo. Overcharging has basically no downside if you don't blow yourself up.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Is the game at the point now after patches this week where if I buy it I can get into a game?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

yes

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Do I have to stand in a darn queue?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kevin Bacon posted:

Would you like to?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Harry Privates posted:

Is the game at the point now after patches this week where if I buy it I can get into a game?

Yes. Queues are significantly better. The better way to get into the game is to go to the goon steam (or ps group I understand) and mash join on a goon.

Much like having a reservation at a fine restaurant the staff will say "right this way helldiver" and usher you past the friendless, no-good pubbies to your spaceship.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Had my first crash, a hardlock. Unfortunately, it happened right before extraction when somebody wiped most of the squad. 30 minutes well spent!

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Harry Privates posted:

Kevin Bacon posted:

Did not see a queue today, playing in the evening EU time. The last patch fixed matchmaking completely for me, instant groups via quick play, no connection issues in ~4 hours of play. Still, as far as I know they did not change the player cap yet, and the weekend is coming up. I would assume that player count will go up again, so if you're not sure maybe wait till next week.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sometimes I get booted after missions. It's fine but kind of annoying because I get worried I'm not going to get rewards.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

jokes posted:

Sometimes I get booted after missions. It's fine but kind of annoying because I get worried I'm not going to get rewards.

I always ignore the rewards after mission completion because they don’t always track and then when I log in again I have some random jackpot of prizes to behold!

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Not sure if anyone else has this problem but I can't seem to progress past hard difficulty. I've completed a bunch of hard missions and have achievements for beating hard missions but extreme difficulty still isn't unlocked and says to complete a hard mission, anyone have any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is there a way to skip the post-mission poo poo because holy goddamn is it boring, I'd like to DIVE DIVE DIVE