Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
'truck' was 'gently caress' for an inappropriate amount of time at my insistence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Fruit snacks are "snoot snacks"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm "daddeese" which is :kimchi:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
kids rule

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Microplastics posted:

I'm "daddeese" which is :kimchi:

I speak dadeese

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Microplastics posted:

My kid just straight up makes new words for stuff

Food = "boose"

Kid's right

Our son's first daycare taught him "agua" to ask for water and it stuck. Speaks English 100% of the time except when he wants water, and then it's "agua please."

PsychoInternetHawk has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Feb 21, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It might seem like I'm shitposting [Pop Culture] but I'm not. I just watched the Baby Shark movie and it was a banger. 10/10

We got so much merch for birthday and it's like high quality actually.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Going through the Y on the way to Judo and three kids I've never seen before shout-out to my kid and I suddenly realized that my five year old has a larger social circle than I do.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kids are amazingly sociable. It still surprises me when my kids will just make friends with randos at the park or at the store, and play like they've been friends for years.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It's human nature to be that social and capitalism has taken it from you to sell you cars and fences.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

just caught my 3yo ‘reading’ 30 min past her bedtime and it rules imo. sneak those books kiddo

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

meanolmrcloud posted:

just caught my 3yo ‘reading’ 30 min past her bedtime and it rules imo. sneak those books kiddo

hell yeah

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I can't get my youngest to read anything except the same three books. Both of my kids have shelves bursting with cool books, but he only wants to read the same three.

Well, those and the National Geographic Ocean For Kids book. He loves that thing, and excitedly shouts the name of every animal. It's great.

My oldest likes to read whatever but he's also very much a "These are my faves and I'm sticking with them". He'll st least entertain something new occasionally

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ikanreed posted:

It's human nature to be that social and capitalism has taken it from you to sell you cars and fences.

And also sell you social interaction. See: $300/mth tinder subscription

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/feb/21/is-going-to-bed-at-9pm-the-secret-to-happiness-my-week-of-sleeping-like-a-gen-zer

quote:

Over a lifetime, you find yourself doing many different things at 9pm: watching TV; reading a book; sitting in a pub; leaving a restaurant to go to a cinema, or the other way round. When you have young children, nine o’clock generally marks the start of the precious time you call your own – a tiny window into which you must cram all your fun. As I’ve aged, I’ve come to associate the 21st hour of the day with coming home rather than going out.

I feel seen

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
buddy once 8 pm rolls around its nothing but seinfeld reruns and shitposting until i pass out

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

RBC posted:

buddy once 8 pm rolls around its nothing but seinfeld reruns and shitposting until i pass out

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

RBC posted:

I like it, Nick At Night rear end household.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

This is interesting. We usually get the stories done at around 7:30 and both of the kids are sleeping by 8. By 9pm the whole family is asleep. It seems to be working for us.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Yeah kid in bed at 7. We're in bed around 8. Everyone asleep by 9.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'd be tempted to get the kid into bed earlier but I feel that might invite disaster.

At the moment he wakes up at 7am on weekdays and 9am at weekends. I cannot risk disturbing this delicate natural order

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
A rock solid 7 pm bedtime is a cornerstone of order amid the chaos. I want to keep it forever.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

A rock solid 7 pm bedtime is a cornerstone of order amid the chaos. I want to keep it forever.

we used to have it at about 8-830 but my kid has some advanced stall tactics and then sometimes her bedtime nemesis, the toe nibbler, scares her so we have to lay in bed for awhile.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
8:00pm bedtime is p constant.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

7pm bed time blows my mind. Like we're barely finishing up dinner at that point and we've still gotta do baths etc.!

Pretty consistently 830pm for an almost-5 and almost-7 year old these days, at least. Once the younger one finally started going to bed easy and sleeping through the night ~8 months ago it was like a magic spell of extra time and sanity.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
She's been putter herself down at about 7, waking up at 830 hungry, but not even opening her eyes until we change her diaper, where she then snuggles up against whomever fed her last and passes out completley for the night. So we don't knwo if it's 7 or 830 that's the bed time, but once 7 hits we can start walking away.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah kid in bed at 7. We're in bed around 8. Everyone asleep by 9.

We were up at 3:30 today.

:sludgepal:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
8pm is the consistent bedtime but my kid never falls asleep before 9, amd is often up until 10 or sometimes later. She's fine and always gets enough sleep, she's just a night owl like her parents.

We're also not harsh about keeping her in bed after bedtime, so whenever she runs out to say "good night, i love you" for the fifth time we just say we love her and to go back to bed. Our only strict rule for bedtime is that she has to sleep in her bed first. After that if she wakes up she can come hang out with us if we're still up, or come to our bed.

She recently finally managed to put to words why she hated bedtime though: "I'm angry to be alone" 🥺

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Our 5yo was saying he didn't like to sleep because he was afraid of the dark, and we got a much brighter nightlight, like hard to tell that his light is even off bright.

He loves it and hasn't complained about bedtime in that way since.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My six year old has been getting to bed at around 730 for what feels like years now. At least a year of pyjamas, toothbrush by parent, pee by himself and then going to bed by himself. Like, we don't even go upstairs with him to the toilet. Incredibly blessed. The one year old is roughly same bedtime, but we don't agree whether the morning starts before or after 6.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Wish my kid respected bedtime. She's super inconsistent, even if we are consistent.

At least she's desiring independence and wants to go to bed on her own (she fails, but I appreciate the effort) before she's 2.

Microplastics posted:

And also sell you social interaction. See: $300/mth tinder subscription

Wtf. I'm so glad I'm happily married.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Votskomit posted:

Wtf. I'm so glad I'm happily married.
Why do you think it's so expensive?
You pay extra for pairs.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
or, the extra is to not tell the spouse.

PYF

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Even Andrew Jackson thought Oklahoma was too lovely to support human life

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

We're taking 10 x 10yr olds to the rock climbing gym for a birthday today

Pray for me

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Rip

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
we are doing that next week with a friend of my son's and I'm super stoked to see these kids climb.

like their bodies are just tiny sinewy masses of muscle and pinching video game grips. let em cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Another Bill posted:

We're taking 10 x 10yr olds to the rock climbing gym for a birthday today

Pray for me

Good luck! Just being a guest at a birthday party for a 6 year old at the climbing/trampoline place was exhausting.