Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why were quad roller skates more popular than inline skates until the 70s or so? A look at Wikipedia shows that inline skates existed long before the quad configuration, but at least in popular media everyone at a roller rink in the 60s and 70s was on quad skates. Is there some advantage that isn't obvious, because having tried both the inline ones are way more stable and generally make it easier to stop and turn.
The concept of inline skates might have been invented earlier, but I don't think they really actually existed as a product until rollerblade started selling them.

Quad skates in the 60s and earlier typically had wheels made out of materials like metal, with a flat profile, which wouldn't have worked for inline skates, so even though people had come up with the idea of a few times well before that, inline skates probably wouldn't have been practical before modern polyurethane wheels.

I don't think there was actually that much time between when quad skates started using polyurethane wheels and when rollerblade started to sell inline skates, so while there may have been one or two other companies that attempted to make them in that time, rollerblade was basically the first to actually mass produce them.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Quad skates also seem to be making a comeback for some reason. At least according to my anecdotal observations. I vastly prefer inline skates and don't get it, but to each their own

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Quad skates look like they ought to be more stable and therefore easier for beginners, so maybe it's that? Or, as always, nostalgia

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
1) Is there a minimum exposure threshold you need to meet before your body starts to synthesize Vitamin D from UV radiation? Like if you pass through direct sunlight for 15 seconds will your body already begin producing it just from that, or would you need something like 2-3 minutes first? And do you still synthesize it to any significant degree from indirect exposure, like sitting outside in the shade on a sunny day?

2) What are these little codes for letters/numbers/symbols called (e.g., ’ in place of the asterisk in the tweet above), and what exactly causes them? I know it can sometimes be a matter of copying/pasting something somewhere that doesn't support the original font, but why isn't it converted to the new font along with the rest and why does it seem to disproportionately impact punctuation?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

Quad skates look like they ought to be more stable and therefore easier for beginners, so maybe it's that? Or, as always, nostalgia
I've basically never used quad skates so I can't really compare which is actually more stable for beginners, but in a parallel universe where inline skates become common at the same time as quad skates, I suppose they might have initially had a leg up because they are more similar to ice skates than quad skates.

Although I don't think refrigerated ice rinks would have been common in the 60s so I'm not sure what percentage of the country would have actually ever ice skated.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Atahualpa posted:

2) What are these little codes for letters/numbers/symbols called (e.g., ’ in place of the asterisk in the tweet above), and what exactly causes them? I know it can sometimes be a matter of copying/pasting something somewhere that doesn't support the original font, but why isn't it converted to the new font along with the rest and why does it seem to disproportionately impact punctuation?
The code for the forums is very old, so it's not using unicode for the character encoding of the pages. Because of this, it has to escape non-ascii characters as numerical codes (entities)

Edit: Oh never mind it was from a tweet not the forums. In that case it somehow got escaped to &#8217 by some software and but then that code was escaped by twitter so it's showing as &#8217 rather than the actual codepoint it's supposed to represent

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 22, 2024

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Atahualpa posted:

It's an ASCII code that represents something -- a symbol or emoji or letter, something like that, that didn't get parsed correctly. That could be due to the Twitter (in this case) not supporting it, your phone not supporting it, the app or browser on your phone not supporting it, some type of transmission or encoding or decoding error. But probably your app or browser.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I would wager that the text was copied from an article and pasted into the tweet by the tweeter, and somewhere in that process, the unicode character was replaced by the ASCII "address" of that character.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

A few diners (breakfast-primary) in my city have a menu item that is just "whatever the chef feels like making" with minimal options - vegetarian or not, sweet or savory, but that's it. They also offer the option to flip a coin for it, double or nothing.

Are these common offerings in diners? Do they have a standard name?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Trapick posted:

A few diners (breakfast-primary) in my city have a menu item that is just "whatever the chef feels like making" with minimal options - vegetarian or not, sweet or savory, but that's it. They also offer the option to flip a coin for it, double or nothing.

i've been to a few different kinds of restaurants (not just diners) where there's an item where it's basically the chef's choice to just make something interesting, but i've never encountered the coin flip part

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Trapick posted:

Probably a bad idea to order omakase from a diner.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Trapick posted:

Regarding the coin flip, I’ve been to pizza places where during happy hour if you dine in and order more than one large pizza (per table) they’ll flip a coin for each one and the pizza is free if you call it right.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Probably a bad idea to order omakase from a diner.
It is very hit and miss, absolutely.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why were quad roller skates more popular than inline skates until the 70s or so? A look at Wikipedia shows that inline skates existed long before the quad configuration, but at least in popular media everyone at a roller rink in the 60s and 70s was on quad skates. Is there some advantage that isn't obvious, because having tried both the inline ones are way more stable and generally make it easier to stop and turn.

Inline skates have been around longer than quads but always had some technical issues that got in the way. By the time inlines started to get practical in the 50s quads were dominant so they were limited as off-season trainers for speed skaters. It wasn’t until Rollerblade figured some stuff out in the 80s and started seriously marketing inlines that they broke into the mainstream.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Atahualpa posted:

HTML entities is the name if you want to look up more about them.

Basically a small character set exists with English letters of the alphabet and some punctuation that is like the basics of what most computer systems will understand, based on decisions made decades ago. Then larger sets were invented to allow for more punctuation, diacritics, other writing systems and symbols. Sometimes it's necessary for interoperability to fold down data with characters from the larger set into something that only exists to be made out of characters in the small set, with the idea to unfold this back to something human readable later. Regular letters aren't affected in English, because they are part of the smaller set, so they don't need to be encoded. Fancy quote marks like the ones iOS autocorrects to, would be, for example.

Sometimes the decoding doesn't happen because the programmer forgets to check, because their test data didn't contain any special characters. Sometimes it's someone creating a manual or automated pipeline from different tools made by different people, maybe on different operating systems that don't use the same standards. Like the code that extracts the title from the article and the textbox of the tweeting app they used don't make the same assumptions about how the data is encoded. Like one thinks you want, or shortcuts to, giving you the underlying html data and the other is like this is a what-you-see-is-what-you-get text field.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there an effective way to rinse out an empty soap bottle (like a refill that I've used all of)? Rinsing seems... futile.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
In theory, enough water will dilute it to extinction eventually.
In practice, unless you're drinking out of it, I don't see why you need to remove all traces of soap from a soap bottle.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I thought for recycling purposes things should be pretty clean. Granted, end-user plastic recycling is pretty much a scam...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Atahualpa posted:

1) Is there a minimum exposure threshold you need to meet before your body starts to synthesize Vitamin D from UV radiation? Like if you pass through direct sunlight for 15 seconds will your body already begin producing it just from that, or would you need something like 2-3 minutes first? And do you still synthesize it to any significant degree from indirect exposure, like sitting outside in the shade on a sunny day?

I think just a single UVB photon interacting in the right way with vitamin D precursors in the skin will almost instantly make a single vitamin D molecule and the sun is blasting you with trillions and trillions of photons at any given moment. So there's a good chance that you'll start synthesizing it pretty much the instant you step into direct sunlight.

Here's a paper discussing your second question:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16005208/

quote:

Compared to that in full sun, pre-Vitamin D3 effective UV wavelengths were at levels of approximately 52 and 55%, respectively, beneath the shade umbrella and in tree shade. UVB irradiance levels in the shade of a northern facing covered veranda and in a car with windows closed were significantly less than those beneath the shade umbrella, with levels of approximately 11 and 0%, respectively, of those in full sun. Shade is important as a UV minimisation strategy; however, it may also play an important role in providing the human body with adequate levels of UVB radiation for pre-Vitamin D3 production without experiencing the relatively higher levels of UVA irradiances present in full sun.

So yes, you can probably easily get adequate vitamin D in the shade! Glass filters it pretty well though, so you won't be able to do it behind a window.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 23, 2024

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hooah posted:

I thought for recycling purposes things should be pretty clean. Granted, end-user plastic recycling is pretty much a scam...

Aside from the scam angle, it's dependent on whatever sorting is going on probably. But in Denmark, we are being encouraged not to wash plastics for recycling because it doesn't matter.

Paper and cardboard need to be clean, because they can't be cleaned afterwards

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Is there an effective way to rinse out an empty soap bottle (like a refill that I've used all of)? Rinsing seems... futile.

You can use a bottle brush and hot water.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

On booting Windows 11 my monitors reset to the wrong positions and need to be dragged around into the right place every time. No idea if its Windows, or graphics drivers or what. Have tried fixing through regedit but they still reset next time.

Displayfusion is a program that lets you restore monitor profiles in 2 clicks but does a bunch of stuff I don't want and slows the pc down.

What's a small program that will either lock down the positions or allow for profile configs, that works and doesn't do anything or much else please.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Have you considered switching the cables?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Why is my WiFi signal worse in my bathroom?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Leave posted:

Why is my WiFi signal worse in my bathroom?

further away from the access point / worse direction / additional wall / more stuff like washing machine or pipes in the wall in the way

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

BonHair posted:

How will that help please?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

BonHair posted:

This is what I eventually did for the same problem, I feel like my video card just had a hierarchy that I could not override. YMMV depending on cables/inputs of course.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Chubby Henparty posted:

Plug in your monitors in a different order, rather than tell software where you want them to be

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chubby Henparty posted:

They mean just at one end, not swapping the entire cable. So you've currently got port A connected to monitor A via cable A and port B connected to monitor B via cable B. Connect port A to monitor B via cable A and hopefully it'll default to the correct position.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Ok fair enough thank you - I should have been clearer that I want their positions/orientations maintained as well - eg. left hand monitor slightly above the center, 3rd monitor sitting below the center monitor in portrait mode. If it was just horizontal order I'd be less bothered by it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Swapping the cables shouldnt interfere with that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hooah posted:

Swapping the cables shouldnt interfere with that.

Won't solve the problem though, which is that the positions keep resetting to default. If they were straight side-by-side it would, but they're not so it won't.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Why did the Final Fantasy series experience such a change in vibe after jumping from Nintendo to Sony? It wasn't just the change to 3D, the series just has a totally different "feel" between the two eras that's hard to explain.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tiggum posted:

Won't solve the problem though, which is that the positions keep resetting to default. If they were straight side-by-side it would, but they're not so it won't.

Oh, I misunderstood the problem. I thought it was just the monitors swapping position.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

two fish posted:

Why did the Final Fantasy series experience such a change in vibe after jumping from Nintendo to Sony? It wasn't just the change to 3D, the series just has a totally different "feel" between the two eras that's hard to explain.

I recommend playing VI and IX back-to-back and returning to this :v:

A lot of things came together at once in this era. There was a big staffing shift for the Final Fantasy team, including Yoshinori Kitase taking over writing and direction duties from Hironobu Sakaguchi, who did the previous six games. They were also no longer bound by Nintendo's hardware and content guidelines which allowed them much more creative freedom.

In addition to that the development of Final Fantasy VII, like a poo poo ton of other Japanese media at the time, was hugely influenced by the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion. That's where stuff like the existentialism themes, the angsty emotionally-detached protagonist, the few Kabbalah references, and that pivotal scene in disc 2 where Tifa and Cloud's consciousnesses are melded and he's put on trial for being a whiny bitch comes from. Final Fantasy VII was so enormously successful that they probably decided to roll with some or all of these elements for a while all the way through X.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 23, 2024

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Used to be, if you went to google and put a string inside of quotes, it would return only results that contained that string. Obviously, google doesn't do that anymore, and neither do any of the other search engines i tried. Are there any search engines today that honor the quotes?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

dokmo posted:

Used to be, if you went to google and put a string inside of quotes, it would return only results that contained that string. Obviously, google doesn't do that anymore, and neither do any of the other search engines i tried. Are there any search engines today that honor the quotes?

While I've personally moved to a paid search engine because all the free ones are garbage and continue to get worse, after a single test it looks like DuckDuckGo may honor the quotes?

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
Thanks all for your answers to my stupid/small questions! It's especially good to know that you can still get the Vitamin D benefits in the shade, since I live somewhere that gets 100+ degree temperatures for 3-4 months each year.

hooah's question about soap containers reminded me, I use a shampoo/conditioner brand that over the last year or so started manufacturing the containers in a way that makes the caps impossible to remove. So I started cutting them open to get to the last little globs, but the plastic is so thick that I feel like it's not worth it in terms of the wear and tear on my knives/tools. The opening is too small to get any decent amount of water or anything else inside. Is there any good cheap way to cut these open or otherwise get to the last bits of shampoo/conditioner? I leave them upside down for weeks when they start to run low, but even with that there's a fairly significant amount that won't come out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dokmo posted:

In the top right, search tools -> all results -> verbatim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

While I've personally moved to a paid search engine because all the free ones are garbage and continue to get worse, after a single test it looks like DuckDuckGo may honor the quotes?

I didn't know such things existed. What do you use? I doubt I'll use one, because I try to minimize my subscriptions, but would be interesting to look into.