Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

i am harry posted:

and then I go I really don’t want to give stine my phone number over some basil seeds

and she goes why

and I’m like well every time I give anything my information it ends up on the internet

and she goes ugh nobody cares about your information

and then this other guy comes up and goes is there a problem

and I say well sort of these things were half off and I’m just trying to get the money back without giving anyone my info

and he goes well what’s your phone number

nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

i am harry posted:

and then I go I really don’t want to give stine my phone number over some basil seeds

and she goes why

and I’m like well every time I give anything my information it ends up on the internet

and I say well sort of these things were half off and I’m just trying to get the money back without giving anyone my info

Could you summarize this a few more times please? It's almost short enough to read.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
grocery store near me have been doing checks on the self checkout a lot recently because of theft(their prices is theft but they mean the other kind) and i wrote an email to the store manager saying im never coming back because they treat me like a thief and honestly i am going to go back and have been stealing things i just want to see if i can get a voucher for something

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

fanfic insert posted:

grocery store near me have been doing checks on the self checkout a lot recently because of theft(their prices is theft but they mean the other kind) and i wrote an email to the store manager saying im never coming back because they treat me like a thief and honestly i am going to go back and have been stealing things i just want to see if i can get a voucher for something

the prices at my local grocer are bananas

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Plot twist: shoplifting is as bad as the stores say but it's not the obvious shoplifters in hoodies and huge jackets it's all the normal people that are mad about high prices and think "I WILL have this small pocket sized item, as a treat"

My favorite shoplifter is the guy I saw stuffing groceries into the oversized Snuggy he was wearing. Absolute king

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i am harry posted:

and she goes why

I'm gonna put your phone number on the internet :evilbuddy:

1-000-000-0001

1-000-000-0002

1-000-000-0003

1-000-000-0004

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gimme a little bit it's getting there

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

should have held the line at "you don't need my phone number" making it about your phone number ending up online created a moment of weakness and that's when she chose to strike, follow me for more verbal combat tips

How convenient, you post like a cow!!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

spacetoaster posted:

The thing that humans have been eating since there have been humans?

99% of all meat eaters are now dead, whereas >99% of self described vegans are dead. Checkmate atheist

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Anyway keep convincing us that you weren't mad you're almost there

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I would just have told I don't have a phone number and then dead fish stare at her in the eyes

edit: maybe open my mouth and gasp for air a little

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

RuBisCO posted:

I would just have told I don't have a phone number and then dead fish stare at her in the eyes

edit: maybe open my mouth and gasp for air a little

I don't have a soul and they only give those to beings with souls

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

just immediately escalate to a manager duh they are class traitors and deserve your yelling

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
"I'm not mad, I'm not mad!" I continue to insist as I turn into a little ball of rage

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

"I'm not mad, I'm not mad!" I continue to insist as I turn into a little ball of rage

An absolutely adorable ball of rage, look it it’s righteous impotency. Awww

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

tokin opposition posted:

99% of all meat eaters are now dead, whereas >99% of self described vegans are dead. Checkmate atheist

It's Atheist.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It's dumb they need a phone number for a return but just Karen out and find a manager to go off on instead come on dude

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Still not clear if he even got the tape in the end

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Karach posted:

I guess if that's their job they should get yelled at. We all have to do our job, even if we don't like it! And I've probably made their life very difficult with unnecessary hostility, which, as a former retail worker, I ought to recognize is wrong.

I think I'm just going to chill from now on and stop trying to be a rock in the river of commerce. "Let it go" is my new motto.
Like the saying says, "Pick your battles. No, pick fewer battles than that. Put some battles back. That's still too many battles."

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I feel bad for you, tiny herb dude. They ripped you off for four bucks right to your face, and then acted like it was your fault and you were being unreasonable.

Of course I also believe there wouldn't be bullies if people stood up to them, so the fact you didn't take four dollars worth of goods and walk out brings dishonor upon your house.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
After putting in your phone number the next question would probably be "can I see a photo ID"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Dog Case posted:

After putting in your phone number the next question would probably be "can I see a photo ID"
Yeah, return fraud is A Thing Companies Worry About. So they take IDs and will often limit the number of returns per person, forcing store credit or a mailed check after a certain number.

Government IDs are a quite reliable way to track individuals and count their returns.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'm not sure we're getting an accurate retelling, especially when op is claiming to have not been shouting but "just raising my voice" in a weird way

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

i am harry posted:

and she goes why

the customers crusade, continuing unabated, marches out of stines and sacks culvers

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Facebook Aunt posted:

Like the saying says, "Pick your battles. No, pick fewer battles than that. Put some battles back. That's still too many battles."

Harmony and cooperation are what really matter, day to day. Don't put walls between yourself and others. Instead of "why?," say "yes!"

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

I'm not sure we're getting an accurate retelling, especially when op is claiming to have not been shouting but "just raising my voice" in a weird way

It’s always fun when somebody shares an anecdote that they think is going to get them approval but then it turns out oh poo poo people don’t like this and they try to backtrack but are self aware enough to know what they’ve already said and they try to thread the needle when they could just stop posting for a while

Except when it happens to me

It’s not fun in that one specific case

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Dog Case posted:

slippery slope. next is godless communism.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

tokin opposition posted:

I can't understand this unless you're mistaking the less than/greater than signs for each other.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I can't understand this unless you're mistaking the less than/greater than signs for each other.

the only rational choice is to long for death, so the vegans are winning

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Suplex Liberace posted:

just immediately escalate to a manager duh they are class traitors and deserve your yelling

I swear to god I told her to bring them down for that very purpose but they didn’t come down because they’re cowards

the worst part is I already had all the seeds and tape too I just thought it’d be something nice to try!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I'm not good at math that's the answer

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

People really need to internalize that when a cashier asks you for something, they aren't personally making the decision to ask you for that. If you really want to fight a store policy, do so with the knowledge that the person you're talking to has absolutely no say in that policy. Your odds of success will increase very slightly, and your odds of not being an rear end in a top hat to a teenager will increase dramatically.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

I'm not good at math that's the answer

the < crocodile eats the bigger number

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Maybe if he keeps going with the story he'll get to the part about how this complaining managed to call down someone with a high enough rank in the company to influence a change to the policy. So,

Ditocoaf posted:

People really need to internalize that when a cashier asks you for something, they aren't personally making the decision to ask you for that. If you really want to fight a store policy, do so with the knowledge that the person you're talking to has absolutely no say in that policy. Your odds of success will increase very slightly, and your odds of not being an rear end in a top hat to a teenager will increase dramatically.
This

Edit: just reminded myself of an instance where a guy I know actually got somewhere complaining to the management. Specifically, making the police take cash for a fine when they really didn't want to because public government agency plus legal tender for all debts. Why yes, he was white, however did you guess

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 05:57 on Feb 23, 2024

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It’s always fun when somebody shares an anecdote that they think is going to get them approval but then it turns out oh poo poo people don’t like this and they try to backtrack but are self aware enough to know what they’ve already said and they try to thread the needle when they could just stop posting for a while
really you don't even have to stop posting, just move on, nobody cares about the accrued karma of a forums account
...I wanted that to be a fallout thing but I guess it's more of a reddit thing now. kinda fits, it's metrics brain activating in spaces where metrics don't apply

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
if it's a policy that the worker has no choice about, why are they asking me to open my bag but they don't ask the old lady on a fixed income ahead of me to look in her bag and granny shopping cart?

Maybe they're a comrade and letting the poor women steal what she needs idk

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Efficiency. You're more likely to do it faster, if they make the older lady hold up the queue the risk of someone in the back running to the manager increases exponentially ('cause there's gonna be more people joining). It's not that shrinkage control/getting people on the partner surveillance program is optional (they have to at least attempt, it's monitored), skipping the obvious techlord is just going to be harder to explain to your supervisor

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Ruffian Price posted:

really you don't even have to stop posting, just move on, nobody cares about the accrued karma of a forums account
...I wanted that to be a fallout thing but I guess it's more of a reddit thing now. kinda fits, it's metrics brain activating in spaces where metrics don't apply

I care, I keep a SQL database of every goon and their posting crimes, all computed using state of the art heuristics to produce maximally effective blackmail material to keep from getting owned.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
When I worked checkout I was supposed to ask every customer who didn't use our rewards card if they wanted to sign up for one. But if they wanted it they'd already have it, and if they didn't want it they'd get annoyed, so I literally never asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bald Stalin posted:

if it's a policy that the worker has no choice about, why are they asking me to open my bag but they don't ask the old lady on a fixed income ahead of me to look in her bag and granny shopping cart?

Maybe they're a comrade and letting the poor women steal what she needs idk

Putting on full Johnny Knoxville age makeup to shuffle into the grocery store and steal Meat