Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, it's baffling why they ever made it so you couldn't pick your Mastery until you had like 10 Passive points beyond the 20 needed to spec into your Mastery passives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

fknlo posted:

holy lol reddit is so mad about this game right now. I've been annoyed by the 20 minute zone transitions but the world isn't ending.

I mean I wish either this or helldivers was working well rn, but whatever I’ll just go read a book for a bit

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

At least LE is fun to play solo unlike Helldivers :v:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The trick is to have a second game open so you can go play a round of starcraft or whatever while you wait for the burning forest to load.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Yea, it's baffling why they ever made it so you couldn't pick your Mastery until you had like 10 Passive points beyond the 20 needed to spec into your Mastery passives.

I much prefer it how it is now, where I was one passive point short of even being able to start speccing into my falcon when I unlocked mastery.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I just made an offline character. What are the benefits of online, besides playing with others which I probably won't do.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cosmetics and the trade faction

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Imaginary Friend posted:

I find it weird that every live service game has a campaign with maps that are barely used in the end-game. They should just start at end-game and fill the open world with optional quests and events that tell the story/lore for those that want to dive into it.

pls dont retrofit well worn and respected arpg traditions into "live service game" im going to scream

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Wiltsghost posted:

I just made an offline character. What are the benefits of online, besides playing with others which I probably won't do.

Nothing. You made the right decision.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, right now if you're fine playing solo there is actually literally no reason to play online. Eventually there'll be PoE-esque leagues with new mechanics and stuff that won't be available offline, but right now it's the same either way. The only thing you miss out on are grouping and trading.

And as a side benefit, if you accidentally walk through an area transition as you realize you left a unique/set/exalted item on the ground, you don't lose the item offline. Online, once you leave a zone, it's gone. Offline, the enemies reset but the item drops stay on the ground.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, I'll eventually make an online one when things settle down but as a first playthrough, I played a bit in early access, this seems fine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay, first 1.0 character at end game. Now to do it over again with a new character. :P

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

the Circle of Fortune cloak cosmetic from today's twitch drop is misaligned so the cloak floats above your character model's shoulders :what:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Real shame to see this game get review-bombed over a lovely online server launch, when it's the only other ARPG in the genre really pushing the genre forward (PoE being the other).

The monetization is totally fine to the point no one even discusses it, the trade factions are excellent and actually made PoE2 have "buy it now", the game does away with a lot of annoyance from other market leaders (inventory management isn't a chore, stash tabs are plentiful, loot filtering is easy and baked in, the in-game help system is awesome), the game has a nice balance of "you're making some character choices" while still encouraging experimenting, and just on and on.

There's also a good bit of new stuff since I last played - this "weaver" stuff and experimental items are new to me. And I just used the in-game help to learn what they were.

I feel empathy for the dev team who I'm sure are beyond stressed and working like mad, just for Grr Angry Internet to poo poo all over it because it has a few days of rough spots from technical issues.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 22, 2024

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Yeah it sucks particularly considering they're like the only ARPG to offer an absolutely full featured, totally offline mode in a very long time.

Zurai posted:

Eventually there'll be PoE-esque leagues with new mechanics and stuff that won't be available offline

Not even, they've said Cycles will be available offline. The one thing they've mentioned is that some special challenge bosses won't be available offline until after they are killed online (to prevent datamining of kill strategies), but even that is just a delayed release for offline.

The only thing you lose by being offline are cosmetics (will probably be able to mod them in anyway if you really care) and of course any player interactions such as trading and partying.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ojetor posted:

Yeah it sucks particularly considering they're like the only ARPG to offer an absolutely full featured, totally offline mode in a very long time.

Not even, they've said Cycles will be available offline. The one thing they've mentioned is that some special challenge bosses won't be available offline until after they are killed online (to prevent datamining of kill strategies), but even that is just a delayed release for offline.

The only thing you lose by being offline are cosmetics (will probably be able to mod them in anyway if you really care) and of course any player interactions such as trading and partying.

Oh, even better. Thanks for the correction!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

People are giving negative reviews for the game they bought and can't play the way they want to a day after it came out, I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. Yeah there's definitely people who are 100% way too upset about this after a day who are talking out their rear end about lazy devs or whatever but warning potential buyers that the multiplayer of this game is currently nonfunctional with a thumbs down is sort of the reason you have steam reviews. It'll even out over time once they sort the backend server poo poo out.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

the cof benefits are actually pretty wild, but the amount of favor required to get to the upper levels make it deserving of it. I made it to level 5 before logging off for the day, and the favor required to get to level 6 is more than twice as much as all the previous levels combined. that's been the trend for each level, and if it continues, I don't see very many people even getting to level 8. from my testing, it doesn't appear that higher corruption rewards more favor, but the level does. I'm predicting it'll take about 75 or so maps to go from 5 to 6, which only will take ~2.5 hours on a speed farming build,

hopefully the bazaar is like 1/4th is grindy as cof, because frankly, I can't see how bazaar could possibly compete with cof tier for tier.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

at some point people have to learn that online games at launch arent going to function properly, and the fact its been happening for 2 decades across tons of genres and devs should indicate it isnt something any specific title has hosed up so dumping reviews every time it happens multiple times a year means you have the reasoning capacity of some sort of slug or snail tier of creature.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Gamers being complete degens and functionally ddosing the game because they want to speedrun a brand new arpg on Wednesday at noon just sure feels like a self fulfilling prophecy of server problems and exactly what they were probably trying to avoid with a Wednesday release lol. I just don't see the point in review bombing something because you can't play for some hours out of the potential hundreds you plan to sink over various seasons.

Anyways falconer owns. The bird is so well animated and hits that class fantasy of wow survival hunter better than wow.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Stux posted:

pls dont retrofit well worn and respected arpg traditions into "live service game" im going to scream
Sorry, I meant live service games AND some arpgs :)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Master Stur posted:

Gamers being complete degens and functionally ddosing the game because they want to speedrun a brand new arpg on Wednesday at noon just sure feels like a self fulfilling prophecy of server problems and exactly what they were probably trying to avoid with a Wednesday release lol. I just don't see the point in review bombing something because you can't play for some hours out of the potential hundreds you plan to sink over various seasons.

Anyways falconer owns. The bird is so well animated and hits that class fantasy of wow survival hunter better than wow.

Europe? A fake place probably.

I'm not sure I'm going to like the runemaster, getting a little worried. The busted build I was going to go got nerfed in the 1.0 patch.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

M. Night Skymall posted:

Europe? A fake place probably.

I'm not sure I'm going to like the runemaster, getting a little worried. The busted build I was going to go got nerfed in the 1.0 patch.

Would it be better if I just said "Wednesday" a work night for most people? They clearly planned for there to be issues and have time to hopefully fix it by the weekend globally.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

quote:

Posted: 23 Feb @ 12:33am
Not Recommended
I have worked on cloud computing for over 15 years. They sold 1 million pre-oders. There is no excuse for this launch. They clearly do not know what they are doing or refuse to build a proper hosting site. What a waste of my time.

quote:

Playtime:
106.8 hrs last two weeks / 159.4 hrs on record

:laffo:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Master Stur posted:

Would it be better if I just said "Wednesday" a work night for most people? They clearly planned for there to be issues and have time to hopefully fix it by the weekend globally.

It's just weird to categorize people who play video games on a week night as degenerates, is all. The game's been getting more players and is steadily working better so I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually, although multiplayer wasn't exactly flawless at 10k people before the launch either.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

its always these i dont recommend this game "has 1000 hours played" "currently playing game"

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's just weird to categorize people who play video games on a week night as degenerates, is all. The game's been getting more players and is steadily working better so I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually, although multiplayer wasn't exactly flawless at 10k people before the launch either.

Sure but it's clearly not just EU players here lol. For most of the rest of the world this was degen hours. Anyways afaik they rewrote a lot of the netcode between the beta and 1.0 which is why it took a year. Sucks that whatever matchmaking service they have is failing though I'm not sure why they made the game have to do that for each specific campaign zone rather than on a per chapter basis or something

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

quote:

Online mode is currently unavailable. I'll update when status changes.

I can't wait to see the technical dev blog on WTF has been going on.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I've got a perfectly enjoyable offline game for £29.50... if it was only online i would be pissed about it atm but new online games going to poo poo at the start is now the norm. :shrug:

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
I've been lucky I guess. After the first 4 hours yesterday when everything was down, I've been able to play with only very minor hiccups. Hit empowered monos before going to bed and I got two error messages when I logged on an hour ago but otherwise no problems. Just dropped the flame whip unique for warlock and I'm cruising. Warlock feels amazing, you get to be the caster class with actually cool spells and you don't have to care about death seal being up or down.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Latest update on the LE Discord: "Currently attempting to revert some changes made today to bring the state of online services to where they were 14 hours ago"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Suprfli6 posted:

Latest update on the LE Discord: "Currently attempting to revert some changes made today to bring the state of online services to where they were 14 hours ago"

oof

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Suprfli6 posted:

so loving stupid, why did I spend money on this garbage lol

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

frajaq posted:

Just like, go outside or play any other game you own for a couple days?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

frajaq posted:

Play offline!!!! :blastu:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

im in that discord and im not seeing that update

anyways if your so inclined play offline you're not missing much

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

drat I sometimes play video games on a weekday at noon, didn't realize that made me a degenerate

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I have midweek days off, and sometimes I wanna play a videogame on my weekend. Throw me on the degenerate pile, I guess.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Offline mode works perfectly fine though?

What's stopping you guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

bamhand posted:

Offline mode works perfectly fine though?

What's stopping you guys?

offline isn't real and my characters have no permanence.

*literally never touches a PoE character ever again after they move to standard*