Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I think it would be really funny if the Chargers had Eli in for a ceremony and retired his jersey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
There was a spate of articles about teams' "get back guy" a while ago, which I always thought was very funny that there was one guy tasked with keeping his head when everyone else was losing their minds

The idea that he's an integral part of the 10-1 team and without him they collapsed into a puddle of argumentative goo suggests we should just make get back guys the head coach

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
But who can replace whatever sirianni does??

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Pontius Pilate posted:

But who can replace whatever sirianni does??

Show me another guy with the same crying ability

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I simply cannot imagine how insufferable a dude who lets himself get called big dom unironically while surrounded by football players would be

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

What happened with Araiza?

He was proven innocent right? OJ was too and I don't know what to believe.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

McVay did have an assistant to keep him on the sideline, but I think he turned out to be some flavor of sex pest and got fired.

It was mentioned earlier I believe, but Ted Rath is your man. Some combination of alcohol + medication + a stroke was his excuse as to why he wasn't liable. And the courts agreed! He got off! He was fired from the Rams, but he is now on the Eagles staff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Rath

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm still bitter that Townsend got all the attention just for being on the Chiefs while Ryan Stonehouse was setting records his rookie year (granted due to the offense being so putrid he got so many opportunities to make impressive punts but still).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

There was apparently no evidence to put him at the scene of the crime, so the chargers were dropped IIRC.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Apparently, he wasn't at the party when the rape occurred, so the criminal case never went forward. IIRC there was also some talk that she'd spoken with her friends, saying it was consentual as well. He'd filed a defamation suit counter to her civil against him.

I'm short it's a loving mess

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Huh. That’s some compelling evidence.

I think everyone itt is on the side of survivors and generally distrustful of the judicial system.

But “literally not at the scene of the crime when the crime occurred” seems like bulletproof evidence of innocence.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I think everyone itt is on the side of survivors and generally distrustful of the judicial system.

But “literally not at the scene of the crime when the crime occurred” seems like bulletproof evidence of innocence.

It's a hosed up situation that cost him the first couple years of his nfl career

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Does he still kick good ?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

I sure hope so! He's been out of the sport for two years

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I wonder if this deal is leverage on Tommy or if they’re gonna give him an honest chance

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

I mean, he's in his early 20s, I'm sure he didn't forget how to kick a football. I'm 41 and can punt further than any point of my life, just ask my 9 year old who asks to field said punts.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

it would be, but that's not what happened

quote:

Prosecutors and Araiza’s attorney said Araiza admitted to having sex with the teen during the party. But, according to prosecutors who have pieced together a timeline of the night, Araiza had left the party about an hour before video shows several men having sex with the accuser.

so he wasn't there when the gang rape video was taken, but he did confirm he had sex with her that night, at that party, where she (a 17 year old) was drunk

perhaps it's wrong of me but I remain skeptical despite the fact that the prosecutors couldn't confirm his presence at the party when the video was taken. and even in the best case scenario he was on some Josh Giddey poo poo. hopefully Andy can set him on a Vicklike redemption journey

indigi fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 23, 2024

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Anderson Koopa posted:

It was mentioned earlier I believe, but Ted Rath is your man. Some combination of alcohol + medication + a stroke was his excuse as to why he wasn't liable. And the courts agreed! He got off! He was fired from the Rams, but he is now on the Eagles staff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Rath

lol that he's on the Eagles.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/NolaAnalytics/status/1761047230931222544?t=TCvRvtluyRapTmvVSbNbsw&s=19

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If the Saints cared about what the fan base wants they wouldn’t have hired Dennis Allen so I’m not really convinced that they’d get rid of Carr even if they could.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Saints Fans: It's not that the cap doesn't matter; it's that nothing matters.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

At some point ownership needs to wake up and stop the madness of being wedded to a mediocre team that can't spend any more money.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Diva Cupcake posted:

The gold is an illusion. There is only black.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Diva Cupcake posted:

Bingo

Harlock posted:

At some point ownership needs to wake up and stop the madness of being wedded to a mediocre team that can't spend any more money.

Even if they have decided that they still had to extend Carr. They’re looking at a few years of doing just enough to stay under the cap while they bleed off old contracts and sell any players they can before they’re actually ready to start a rebuild. Which is why doing it right after Brees and Payton left was the ideal time, because it’s not like they were going to compete anyway. Instead they decided to go all in on Dennis Allen.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
anyone have that old gif of Philip Rivers screaming "kick the ball, Norv"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

If Carr signed with the Jets and played like he played last year they probably make the playoffs and the entire city loves him. Now he's in NO and everyone hates him lol

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Saints could have ripped the bandage off and just gotten as much of their cap problems out of the way as soon as Brees retired regardless of the Payton situation, but they hosed around and kept kicking the can down the road and now they're stuck and not even bottoming out enough to get good draft picks out of their non-competitiveness. We should start a pool on how many more years it'll take for them to win a playoff game.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Lol

quote:

The Saints have a long road to becoming salary cap compliant for 2024 but they have made their their big move since the last week of the regular season with 2024 in mind- restructuring the contract of QB Derek Carr for salary cap relief, per ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler.

The Saints likely converted the maximum ($28.79 million) of Carr’s $30 million salary to a bonus which would reduce his salary cap number by $23.032 million, going from $35.7 million down to $12.67 million. The move will increase Carr’s future salary cap numbers by about $5.76 million per season. Carr’s 2025 salary cap figure is now $51.46 million, 5th highest in the NFL.

His dead money in 2025 now sits at $40.132 million an increase of $23 million from where it originally was.
While this certainly does not guarantee him a roster spot in 2025 it will give him a much better chance of maintaining his status as starting QB even if he plays at an average or slightly below average level in 2024.

Since the end of the year the Saints have created a total of $37.513 million in 2024 cap room. In addition to the $23 million from Carr, they have saved $7.18 million with a restructure of Erik McCoy’s contract and deferred $7.3 million to 2025 with a change in effective void date of Jameis Winston’s contract. The Saints are still an estimated $53 million over the salary cap. They rank 31st in estimated cap room ahead of only the Buffalo Bills at a projected $55 million over.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

The Saints could have ripped the bandage off and just gotten as much of their cap problems out of the way as soon as Brees retired regardless of the Payton situation, but they hosed around and kept kicking the can down the road and now they're stuck and not even bottoming out enough to get good draft picks out of their non-competitiveness. We should start a pool on how many more years it'll take for them to win a playoff game.

The Saints won’t be good for a long time but the Bucs weren’t good this year either and they won a playoff game, so that’s no real barrier. They’re in a poo poo division, they could certainly make the playoffs and steal a win next year.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

All that matters is getting to the playoffs.

Once there it’s a crap shoot.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The NFC South aspect is why I specified playoff win rather than playoff berth. And yeah, Tampa won a game this season but only because they happened to draw a team that was actively imploding at the end of the season. Sure, weird upsets happen all the time, but I wouldn't put good odds on seeing it happen for them anytime soon.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Of course I’m coming from the perspective of someone who’s team is several years away from challenging for the playoffs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://x.com/tompelissero/status/1761085559420715325

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://x.com/conzmoleman/status/1761082236475003214?s=46

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That’s what 8mm over what we expected it to be? Not insignificant

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I think it's like 12M more than what everyone was projecting.

It changes some calculus going into FA for sure.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Yeah, it's quite a nice bump from what was expected.

https://x.com/gregauman/status/1761089858389385519?s=20

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

That whole article is a goldmine. Crazy that was only twenty years ago. I'm assuming it's better these days?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

FizFashizzle posted:

All that matters is getting to the playoffs.

Once there it’s a crap shoot.

This is wildly untrue.

People remember the Flacco Ravens run and think the playoffs are basically flipping coins but it ain’t that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dang that’s more than I thought! Alright huge help for Miami. I guess with the latest cut of Ogbah and the anticipated cut of X, Miamis 2mm in the green. The extra 12 was huge