Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Does loosing half a billion for Trump even get him further into the pocket of either Russia or Saudi Arabia? It doesn't even really move the needle one way or the other on his chances to win the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Subjunctive posted:

it would be hilarious if the RNC had some rule about bankruptcy as disqualification, but I can’t find anything like that

Probably never occurred to them it was possible because that's only meant to disqualify the mud people from jobs, getting an apartment, buying a car, getting a credit card, etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BiggerBoat posted:

Probably never occurred to them it was possible because that's only meant to disqualify the mud people from jobs, getting an apartment, buying a car, getting a credit card, etc.

Bankruptcy was a big innovation in supporting entrepreneurship because before that you would just be trapped in debt for the rest of your life and wouldn’t get to try doing something else. It didn’t quite play out that way in modern society and because of how much that period of credit toxicity sets back what for most people is already a precarious financial arc, alas.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
https://x.com/meiselasb/status/1760815985177813466?s=46&t=bfbUdXZ7wtKr5Ce8r1pCkQ

Hmmmm beginning to think this Trump guy isn’t on the level

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

deoju posted:

Saudi Arabia too. Half a billion for that kind of leverage would be a loving steal.
Eh I think bailing out Trump has a huge downside risk that the Saudi's in particular wouldn't want to chance. They want to be friends and have influence over whoever is in charge in the US, and bailing out Trump and him losing the election means they have both lost half a billion dollars and also royally pissed off the person who is still president.

Russia might not care because, well, it's harder for any administration to be more hostile to them than the current one, but I doubt the Saudis would risk it.

Trump is also pretty notoriously bad at repaying debts and favors, and the chance anyone actually gets any tangible benefit from their $500 million isn't great. The chance that in the meantime they get hit with sanctions and general bad will (Biden is after all president for another 9 months) is pretty fuckin high.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, there are kind of four options:

1) You give Trump half a billion and he wins the election.
2) You give Trump half a billion and Biden wins the election.
3) You don't give Trump half a billion and he wins the election.
4) You don't give Trump half a billion and Biden wins the election.

Are you actually going to see enough return from (1) that it's going to be a better buy than (3), much less (2) and (4)? Most of the people who would want to give away that much money to see Trump as president are already people he's bizarrely favorable to, anyway.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Isn't this some kind of crime? Lying to the judge about the address of the properties?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't think submitting the wrong addresses in court paperwork would result in "gotcha, you didn't notice it so now the incorporation has changed!"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Rand Brittain posted:

Are you actually going to see enough return from (1) that it's going to be a better buy than (3), much less (2) and (4)? Most of the people who would want to give away that much money to see Trump as president are already people he's bizarrely favorable to, anyway.

Only feasible reason would be you want to maximize chaos and don't especially care if your half a billion works, which at this point would only be Russia really

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't think submitting the wrong addresses in court paperwork would result in "gotcha, you didn't notice it so now the incorporation has changed!"

The strategy is just to delay and sow confusion, buy time, and just generally sow chaos

It's not an especially good plan

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Just shutting down US assistance to Ukraine would make a half billion a drop in the bucket slam dunk investment for Russia.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zwabu posted:

Just shutting down US assistance to Ukraine would make a half billion a drop in the bucket slam dunk investment for Russia.

The question is why pay the half billion when the results are no different than free flattery? They've already got legislation mostly bogged down in the house, and Trump is already set to do what they want anyway.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Gyges posted:

The question is why pay the half billion when the results are no different than free flattery? They've already got legislation mostly bogged down in the house, and Trump is already set to do what they want anyway.

If they help get him out of a financial jam during election season it would probably materially help his chances getting elected.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Trump would never spend his own money when there are so many rubes holding out money for him to take.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Imagine...

A lone brinks van sets out from somewhere in Pennsylvania. As it travels, additional identical vans join it. The caravan approaches New York - but falls behind a limousine, now leading the caravan. The limo pulls up to the courthouse. Trunk and his lawyer hop out. They go inside and announce - we're here to appeal the ruling, and post up the full amount. In cash.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

small butter posted:

Isn't this some kind of crime? Lying to the judge about the address of the properties?

Oh yeah

That reminds me

The NYAG's office has been harvesting abundant quantities of very interesting data from the civil fraud case that will likely wind up buttressing further criminal fraud indictments against Trump/Trumpco

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Uglycat posted:

Imagine...

A lone brinks van sets out from somewhere in Pennsylvania. As it travels, additional identical vans join it. The caravan approaches New York - but falls behind a limousine, now leading the caravan. The limo pulls up to the courthouse. Trunk and his lawyer hop out. They go inside and announce - we're here to appeal the ruling, and post up the full amount. In cash.

there's a very funny heist movie somewhere in here

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Personally I'm excited to see how they fine tune the messaging thate the ruling is both nothing for such a rich man as Trump, pocket change really, and also a deep and crippling wound that will hobble your favorite president unless you donate all your money.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Gyges posted:

Trump would never spend his own money when there are so many rubes holding out money for him to take.

The ratio of hands taking to hands giving has been thoroughly skewed against his favor, especially recently.

The whole thing where his superPAC handed out roughly 30 million to his legal costs and only made a few thousand in the same timeframe is pretty stark, and I like that sort of info.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Uglycat posted:

Imagine...

“OK, stay here while we verify the amount is correct”

*much later*

“Whoops, the deadline passed and we only got to the fifth truck. Appeal denied”

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Gyges posted:

Personally I'm excited to see how they fine tune the messaging thate the ruling is both nothing for such a rich man as Trump, pocket change really, and also a deep and crippling wound that will hobble your favorite president unless you donate all your money.

They're fascists. They aren't gonna fine tune poo poo. They're gonna say both things at the same time to everyone, everywhere. Fellow travelers will believe whatever they want in every instant and then believe whatever else they want in the next instant because gently caress you liberal you mad yet lol owned.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
It's still crazy to me, even if expected, that the entire right-wing apparatus is getting away this well with just completely not even trying to refute the charges on merit.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

haveblue posted:

“OK, stay here while we verify the amount is correct”

*much later*

“Whoops, the deadline passed and we only got to the fifth truck. Appeal denied”

It would be the perfect crime. No one would believe Trump when he tells everyone the money was RIGHT THERE.

Hollywood, my IM's are open.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

The Islamic Shock posted:

It's still crazy to me, even if expected, that the entire right-wing apparatus is getting away this well with just completely not even trying to refute the charges on merit.

What's incredible to me in all this is Habba herself. I was just talking to another lawyer colleague of mine about how insane it is that she's representing Turnip through all of these cases. She is a nobody. And I don't mean that in a mean way. Being a lawyer is a combat sport. You win or you lose, and usually the person with the greater skill is going to win.

This can get pretty even if we're talking, like, the United States Attorney's office vs the federal public defenders. Or the corporate lawyers at Perkins Coie vs the corporate lawyers at Patton Boggs would be a very dull but very even fight. But I've seen bottom barrel trash pot lawyers go against experienced lawyers, and they get crushed, absolutely crushed. Hell I've been the crusher in that situation. It's not fun but my client has rights.

Habba does not play in this league. She's from a bottom tier law school and has no experience whatsoever. She represented her husband's parking garage company handling the functional equivalent of corporate parking tickets. She has no business going up against the cream of the crop prosecutors from the NY DA's corporate fraud section. She has no business representing the freaking President of the United States.

Trump should have hired the world's best corporate defense attorney. If he paid them (and he wouldn't) they would have jumped at the chance. Alec Baldwin hired experienced qualified attorneys the moment the gun left his hand. Hunter Biden hired the same loving guy who represented Jared Kushner! In order to play in the big leagues these lawyers have to have chops to stand up for their client.

Habba has no business representing someone like Donald Trump for what he's accused of. It's insane watching Habba not know how to mark exhibits or offer her own opinion as a question three weeks into defending the President. Maybe she's a complete toady who caught his ear at the wrong time, maybe he just likes her looks, maybe she's doing it for free, who knows. He should have someone in his entourage asking him what the hell he's doing with this lawyer though.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

BigHead posted:

What's incredible to me in all this is Habba herself. I was just talking to another lawyer colleague of mine about how insane it is that she's representing Turnip through all of these cases. She is a nobody. And I don't mean that in a mean way. Being a lawyer is a combat sport. You win or you lose, and usually the person with the greater skill is going to win.

This can get pretty even if we're talking, like, the United States Attorney's office vs the federal public defenders. Or the corporate lawyers at Perkins Coie vs the corporate lawyers at Patton Boggs would be a very dull but very even fight. But I've seen bottom barrel trash pot lawyers go against experienced lawyers, and they get crushed, absolutely crushed. Hell I've been the crusher in that situation. It's not fun but my client has rights.

Habba does not play in this league. She's from a bottom tier law school and has no experience whatsoever. She represented her husband's parking garage company handling the functional equivalent of corporate parking tickets. She has no business going up against the cream of the crop prosecutors from the NY DA's corporate fraud section. She has no business representing the freaking President of the United States.

Trump should have hired the world's best corporate defense attorney. If he paid them (and he wouldn't) they would have jumped at the chance. Alec Baldwin hired experienced qualified attorneys the moment the gun left his hand. Hunter Biden hired the same loving guy who represented Jared Kushner! In order to play in the big leagues these lawyers have to have chops to stand up for their client.

Habba has no business representing someone like Donald Trump for what he's accused of. It's insane watching Habba not know how to mark exhibits or offer her own opinion as a question three weeks into defending the President. Maybe she's a complete toady who caught his ear at the wrong time, maybe he just likes her looks, maybe she's doing it for free, who knows. He should have someone in his entourage asking him what the hell he's doing with this lawyer though.
Being in your position this clearly fucks with you way more than it does me. Other than pride issues which aren't at play here, Trump only ever acts in what he believes is his immediate self-interest. I'm leaning towards this is actually the best he could do.

Edit at below: oh yeah. Slimy poo poo plus on his side would do it

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 23, 2024

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Habba also managed to impress Trump by running a very unethical and probably illegal scheme to try to neutralize a sexual harassment allegation, for which she will probably be disbarred eventually, so there's that I guess?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/former-trump-golf-club-worker-was-sexually-harassed-supervisor-conned-rcna127465

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Trump's previous several batches of attorneys all quit on him because 1) Trump doesn't do what he's told by his lawyers, 2) loves to insult and scream at and blame his lawyers, and most importantly 3) doesn't pay his lawyers. He literally ran off all the lawyers out there that weren't parking-lot grade.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

FMguru posted:

Trump's previous several batches of attorneys all quit on him because 1) Trump doesn't do what he's told by his lawyers, 2) loves to insult and scream at and blame his lawyers, and most importantly 3) doesn't pay his lawyers. He literally ran off all the lawyers out there that weren't parking-lot grade.
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4442671-trump-millions-lawyers-whos-getting-the-most/

Seems like Trump paying people started last year.
Edit at below: right, wrong voice. People have been paid.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 23, 2024

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

According to that article, Trump still hasn't really been paying anyone. All these lawyer fees are coming from his PACs.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ardlen posted:

According to that article, Trump still hasn't really been paying anyone. All these lawyer fees are coming from his PACs.

I think last year is when he found out he could use his PAC to pay lawyers. Too bad for Giuliani that he took the job before Donny found the piggy bank.

Sadly his decades long rep of being a terrible client who fucks over his lawyers has severely limited the quality of lawyer willing to take his case on someone else's dime.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

From the Saudi Arabia side, there's really only two:

1: Give Trump half a billion dollars and he wins the election. Now you have the United States President, the most powerful leader in the free world, firmly in your pocket. As long as you dangle the money carrot in front of him, he'll do or say whatever you want. You're untouchable and all of your rivals in the region are certainly going to take notice. All for the low cost of a half billion dollars from your $600b whitewashing fund; that every country isn't trying this means they are absolute fools.

B: Give Trump half a billion dollars and he loses the election. Does this mean Biden is going to turn around and saction Saudi Arabia, or does it mean an investment didn't pay out and it'll be business as usual? Global business is still going to be lining up to beg for a sip from that $600b spiggot; Saudi Arabia is going to own a NBA team before the end of the decade and potentially a MLB team and when you're willing to spend $Texas+ it means a lot of luxury tax money coming into the league coffers. (NFL would be ideal but the hard salary cap makes that a harder bargain). Add in that private capital is racing to be the ones to own major college football and there's plenty of opportunities to influence the American people and government.

Really, it's a no-brainer from their perspective.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Could be wrong but I don't think anyone other than idiot mega chuds are going to give trump any more money just because he is an admitted loser who is currently being dragged through the proverbial mud.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

Could be wrong but I don't think anyone other than idiot mega chuds are going to give trump any more money just because he is an admitted loser who is currently being dragged through the proverbial mud.

I suspect when we’re talking about foreign benefactors their interest is more in crippling their adversaries by wasting their time and energy dealing with the malignant growth that is the right in power.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Starting to look like he maybe ain't got the cash

Really want to see what a dead dry liquid assets chest situation looks like for a real estate mogul who already leveraged his poo poo halfway to neptune

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

C. Everett Koop posted:

From the Saudi Arabia side, there's really only two:

Really, it's a no-brainer from their perspective.

The issue with this is all that money won't buy Trump's loyalty. He'll just think you're a sucker who gave him money.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The reason to give Trump the money wouldn't be to get him in your pocket if he wins (Though there has never been a shortage of people who go "Trump ripped off those other idiots but I know how to handle him, I'll run rings around him"), it would be to increase the rate of degradation in American's faith in the democratic system. You shore up his image as a strong ultra-rich businessman, and if and when it comes out, so much the better - the chuds will deny it or that it matters and everyone else will despair.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The issue with this is all that money won't buy Trump's loyalty. He'll just think you're a sucker who gave him money.

The Trump saga is a very long line of people who were ready to risk their careers for Trump, only to have him throw them under the bus at the earliest point possible. And there has always been many more suckers ready to take that place.

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
trump showing up with 400M in foreign cash only to be met at the courthouse by IRS agents who confiscate 39 percent for federal taxes is my preferred scenario

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Try to buy his loyalty and get his scorn. Tell him that his hair looks amazing and he's as ride or die as a cowardly narcissist can ever get.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FMguru posted:

Reminds me of the quote from Knowledge Fight about how Alex Jones had enough pissed ex-lawyers in the original Sandy Hook trial to man the jury, even taking backup jurors into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I actually think Trump is a worse target for this kind of bribery than you might think. To me the biggest upside for bailing him out if you're a leader of a foreign government, or some other similarly situated person, wouldn't be the idea that you would have him in your pocket after paying him off.

Rather the typical play would be to dangle the money and get him to say something incriminating or promise to pay you back in a sketchy way. Then you've got ironclad blackmail with receipts. That's pretty significant leverage.

Normally. But Trump's reputation is so thoroughly filled with these kind of scams and bribes and other assorted poo poo that any potential blackmail material, no matter how salacious simply wouldn't move the needle. It's like when you rack up a serious drug habit and develop a massive tolerance. He's got blackmail tolerance. You could get this guy on tape admitting to sell you America's nuclear arsenal under the table if you pay off his legal debts. And nobody would care! Nobody that doesn't already hate Trump's guts that is. Republicans would still lineup behind him, and his base would still gobble up whatever poo poo he shovels.

So if I'm Vladimir Putin or Kim Jong-un, I'm thinking gently caress paying this guy. gently caress even messing around with trying to blackmail him. He's a pig covered in poo poo. Nothing would stick. It's impossible to get leverage over a guy like that.