Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think I ever used Alt for strafe - my original keyboard layout was right fingers on arrows, right thumb on control, left index on shift, left ring/middle on < and > to strafe, left pinky on space. The muscle memory is still there a little bit after all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

koren posted:

I'm the opposite, i cannot abide by vertical mouselook and a lack of autoaim when a zdoom project requires it. It just feels odd and runs counter to my expectations of having to position myself so the autoaim can target and hit turreted enemies etc. Switching back and forth between doom and more modern games doesn't feel unnatural in the slightest.

I’m the same way but I will point out vertical mouse look and auto-aim are two separate settings in GZDoom so if you really want the auto-aim you can still have it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkWUQlC4TkY

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
that looks loving sick

also buy this if you don't already have it

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/11357/The_New_Blood_FPS_Trilogy/

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Volte posted:

I don't think I ever used Alt for strafe - my original keyboard layout was right fingers on arrows, right thumb on control, left index on shift, left ring/middle on < and > to strafe, left pinky on space. The muscle memory is still there a little bit after all these years.

Getting a Wolf3D source port that let me not need to use Alt for strafe was a godsend, because as it turns out, Ctrl+Alt+Arrow keys actually do something (or did on my old computer), so I'd be trying to lay down fire while strafing away and my screen would flip around. It wasn't conducive to good gameplay.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Convex posted:

that looks loving sick

The holy trinity of indie throwback shooters. I'd probably buy a physical copy if such a creature existed. Throw me in a toy and it's a done deal.

Also there's something added to Amid Evil, I think the "final" endless mode map or something

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Volte posted:

When I played Doom for the first time, I didn't know/understand strafing; so it was looooong circles with keyboard turning.

On the up side, I only used 5 fingers at once (left index/middle, right index/middle/ring). And of course, my left hand was on the right shift/ctrl. That way, I could have my left index ready to be the 4th finger for the 4th arrow!

(gently caress I was dumb)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Milo and POTUS posted:

The holy trinity of indie throwback shooters. I'd probably buy a physical copy if such a creature existed. Throw me in a toy and it's a done deal.

Also there's something added to Amid Evil, I think the "final" endless mode map or something

Ultrakill really plays nothing like a traditional retro shooter, though. I found it was more like Doom Eternal meets Devil May Cry or something like that.

I played a good chunk of it this summer before deciding maybe it wasn’t really for me. I definitely see the appeal, though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Convex posted:

that looks loving sick

just a heads up this is one of those sales where it has a bunch of permutations of bundles and you can get stuff even cheaper depending on the bundle

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ultrakill really plays nothing like a traditional retro shooter, though. I found it was more like Doom Eternal meets Devil May Cry or something like that.

I played a good chunk of it this summer before deciding maybe it wasn’t really for me. I definitely see the appeal, though.

The term's basically meaningless at this point and pretty much means isn't a grey mil shooter so it works well enough for me

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
ULTRAKILL's its own increasingly bizarre mutant by this point, to be sure, but there's enough genetic stands hanging off like biomechanical tendrils that it's still allowed to attend the family barbeque.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Duke is the uncle

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://x.com/dosnostalgic/status/1760689950822137912?s=20

where the magic carpet fans at??? let's hear it for the boys

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
my buddy with a crappy 386 but lots of random games had Magic Carpet for sure, I don't remember it running enough to really play. Street Rod ran much better

Deathtrack I played a ton of, I'll never forget the theme playing on pc speaker

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The 7th Guest posted:

Hoping for that Night Dive magic :pray:

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Being able to see more than 20 feet ahead would be really weird.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I never owned a computer than ran Magic Carpet properly. Either it was too fast or too slow.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

Magic Carpet fan here!

But the interesting bit of the lists to me is the second list, as I played most of the first list.
from the second list, let's see... I only played SimCity 2k and Populous 2, not the original games, so those are out. The only games I played from the list are Blockout and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. For the latter, I have a curious anecdote, I got a (pirate) copy from my language teacher in primary school (age 12), I borrowed to her in exchange some trivial pursuit game I believe?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The 7th Guest posted:

:ohno:

I was obsessed with Little Big Adventure as a kid. Those Frenches are crazy.

I played quite a bit of Magic Carpet back in the day too. Bullfrog were such a great studio, though also very much of their time in making later levels near impossible and forcing cheese tactics. Anyone else have PTSD from the Atlantic Accelerator mission from Syndicate?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Correct. One final endless mode map for the expansion pack to close the book on Amid Evil updates... for now, anyway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SimCity and MechWarrior coming out the same year as The Colonel's Bequest is blowing my mind.

Dusk Dave put up a video of his Condemned-like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyX7hoIZvwQ

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 23, 2024

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I remember a lot of the precambrian 3d Controllers from way back, but this one completely passed me by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJSCPIRdYVM

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh1_RlcDeDs

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp3X4IL4_UA

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I remember a lot of the precambrian 3d Controllers from way back, but this one completely passed me by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJSCPIRdYVM

This one is amazing because I can't even understand what they were going for. Like, what was the pitch? How was it supposed to be good?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The 7th Guest posted:

I need to turn in my badge because I never owned any of these games (although I played the poo poo out of the demos for Raptor, Wacky Wheels, and Heretic). Chip's Challenge doesn't count because while I played it a lot, didn't it come with every install of Windows 3.1 or 95 or something? And my X-Com was Apocalypse, which was on constant rotation.

Speaking of which I remember picking up a weird magazine with a glossy & thick cardstock cover on it in the mid-90's; on the back was a relatively crude 3D recreation of a Cyberdemon with the words "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" on it. The magazine was mostly a guide to various FPS games--Dark Forces, Doom II, Descent, etc. But it also covered Magic Carpet and CyClones, the latter being very memorable because I seem to recall it having screenshots of the dog(?) enemies where their balls were visible (or at least I thought they were).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Lotta good sales on right now. Got ancient gods for 6.79, tied for the lowest it's ever been. Very happy with that, although might change when I play it

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Buddy of mine shared a couple of photos from the Mima museum in Brussels:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Angryhead posted:

:hellyeah:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lotta good sales on right now. Got ancient gods for 6.79, tied for the lowest it's ever been. Very happy with that, although might change when I play it

I couldn't finish it but you seem to have taken a much keener shine to Eternal's design so you'll probably have a great time w/ it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Angryhead posted:

Badass.

639 ammo...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

In Training posted:

I couldn't finish it but you seem to have taken a much keener shine to Eternal's design so you'll probably have a great time w/ it

I also don't know if I can take it getting much harder, thought it was just about right where it was so who knows. Catering to the die hard crowd feels like a mistake more often than not but we'll see

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Angryhead posted:

The second one kinda reminds me of Ghanaian movie posters, I love it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah I was thinking of the polish ones but Ghana seems more accurate. Other than the museum, any more info?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vim Fuego posted:

This one is amazing because I can't even understand what they were going for. Like, what was the pitch? How was it supposed to be good?

I think the whole thing is pitch

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Sir Lemming posted:

I think the whole thing is pitch

Yaw yaw yaw :rimshot:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The creatures over at Digital Foundry posted a video of Dark Forces Remastered that has actual raw gameplay footage, which has been oddly hard to find pre-release (as far as I can tell it's all been HUDless promo clips?). Seems like they like it, albeit with some minor quibbles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJGodvshZ9s

Also, off-topic but the HROT dev announced a new game coming out in a few months: SHROT, a retro-RTS/tribute to a Czech Dune 2 clone laden with "horses, tractors and techno music".

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

The Kins posted:

Also, off-topic but the HROT dev announced a new game coming out in a few months: SHROT, a retro-RTS/tribute to a Czech Dune 2 clone laden with "horses, tractors and techno music".

oh Hell and Yes

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Incredible, absolutely incredible.

Features: Voice acting by my mom
*Image of fried thing*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol I saw that but didn't even draw the connection to Hrot.

And that's a schnitzel , you plebes.