Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Their soups were killer too. Potato & leek and french onion. Do they still have those at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I would also think about watching some ride videos on YouTube for anything your kids aren’t sure if they want to do. There’s a lot of POV on ride videos out there that were really helpful before we took our kids when they were younger.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CapnAndy posted:

Remy is... not great, but for a six year old probably pretty cool.
I quite like Remy, but it really doesn't hit the same in Orlando as it does in Paris for some reason. The real problem with it in 2022 was the queue size compared to how good it actually is. It's really not worth that long of a wait.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Definitely. I think one of the most common mistakes people make regarding bringing kids to Disney, especially MK, is to over-hype them up promising all kinds of cool stuff while not mentally preparing them for the negatives. Inform them that there will be a lot of people, we're going to do fun things but you have to be patient and wait in lines to do them, and that you may not get to do everything you want to do. Going in with this mindset makes for a better day at the parks for everyone.

Personally, I would opt for a family day at Epcot. It will be more chill than your Magic Kingdom day. There's still a few thrill rides, lots of restaurants to choose from, lots of characters to meet, a good fireworks show at closing, etc. 6 just seems a little young still to separate for a few more thrill rides, plus the lines at Hollywood Studios get really crazy. If they were like 10+ it might be a different story.

Yeah, Epcot is probably the better bet if you want a chill day. DHS is basically queue to do anything, Epcot has a lot more where you can just wander around and look at stuff. MK will definitely be a "stand in line for a lot of the day" park.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Looks like they do still have both those soups. Unfortunately they never brought back my favorite : braised pork.

The entrees are what I refer to as "Generic Disney Menu": one beef, one chicken, one fish, one pork, one vegetarian, and one filet.

You can find that exact list on pretty much every Disney-owned table service restaurant these days.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Hutzpah posted:

This looks like a great idea. How do you do breakfast and still get to the park by opening, though? It seems like this would eat up the earlier part of the day.
I don't know the answer to this, but it just occurred to me -- who says you have to do that on Monday or Wednesday? Maybe you just do that for breakfast on some other day where the schedule is less intense?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know the answer to this, but it just occurred to me -- who says you have to do that on Monday or Wednesday? Maybe you just do that for breakfast on some other day where the schedule is less intense?

To be honest, I hadn't thought of that. But it's good to consider. I'll have to see what we have planned for our non-Disney days in Florida.

Definitely. I think one of the most common mistakes people make regarding bringing kids to Disney, especially MK, is to over-hype them up promising all kinds of cool stuff while not mentally preparing them for the negatives. Inform them that there will be a lot of people, we're going to do fun things but you have to be patient and wait in lines to do them, and that you may not get to do everything you want to do. Going in with this mindset makes for a better day at the parks for everyone.

Personally, I would opt for a family day at Epcot. It will be more chill than your Magic Kingdom day. There's still a few thrill rides, lots of restaurants to choose from, lots of characters to meet, a good fireworks show at closing, etc. 6 just seems a little young still to separate for a few more thrill rides, plus the lines at Hollywood Studios get really crazy. If they were like 10+ it might be a different story.

My son is many things, but he is not patient. Epcot it is.

CapnAndy posted:

If you want to do character dining in MK, your choices are Cinderella's Royal Table or Crystal Palace. CRT is fancy and has all the princesses; your daughter will absolutely love it. Your son might not be so thrilled. Crystal Palace is a lot more laid back and has a buffet. It's got Winnie the Pooh characters, which are cute, but you know better than us how your kids feel about them.

If you just want a sit-down experience (what Disney calls Table Service), you can check them out on Disney's website, which is a good thing to get used to. Every restaurant lets you see their menu, complete with pricing, so it's a really good tool ahead of time to figure out who's got food you want to eat at prices you're okay with. For the record, I can't recommend Be Our Guest -- the food and themeing are fantastic, but they charge you like it's character dining and it's not, you only get to meet the Beast.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend splitting up like that, it kills basically the whole point of the trip. For the record, your son will have plenty to do at Epcot too -- Soarin' is legit one of the best rides in all four parks, Test Track sounds right up his alley, Remy is... not great, but for a six year old probably pretty cool. Hell, I even looked it up and he's tall enough to do Cosmic Rewind. Which technically is a roller coaster, but one without any major drops or inversions, so, y'know... maybe? You go really, really fast both forwards and backwards and do a lot of turns.

Also, how timid is your daughter? Is it the act of getting on the ride vehicle that scares her or can you get her to do that much at least so long as you promise the ride won't be scary?

I didn't realize all of the information on dining was readily available. My family - and mostly my wife - tend to over plan food wise so she will want to have meals planned ahead of times.

Thanks for the epcot info. It seems like that will be the way to go.

My daughter is a toss-up, depending on her day and her mood. I think it will be the sort of thing where I need to find a few super small rides to start the day before she feels comfortable and confident. Starting her out on something that pushes her limit would make for a bad day. Same with a character meet. If the first day starts with someone in costume up in her face it'll end in tears, but if she can meet someone on her terms it will most likely go well and we can go more from there.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The one big thing to watch out for with Epcot is that it's physically gigantic compared to every other theme park in existence and you will do a ton of extra walking to get between points A and B. Plan for kids to get tired of all the walking fast.

The upside is that World Showcase makes for a comparatively low-stress experience for kid brains, since there's a lot of just walking around looking at immaculately themed neat things between any rides.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone kind of dismissed Animal Kingdom early, but for kids that age it may be more entertaining to see the animals than architecture based on stuff they have no context for.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone kind of dismissed Animal Kingdom early, but for kids that age it may be more entertaining to see the animals than architecture based on stuff they have no context for.

my OP was the perfect plan for them :colbert:

Bottom Liner posted:

Do a single park per day. Magic Kingdom as one since it has all the classic Disney attractions as well as the most to do, then your choice of the others depending on which one catches your fancy. Animal Kingdom would be my recommendation for the complete contrast to MK and tons of cool stuff for kids that don't require long waits. Do research the attractions at each, but don't stress too much about trying to do it all in a single day. Go in with a loose plan and try to go with the flow and relax and enjoy it. There's zero pressure to try and see it all in any number of days.

\/ Eh, other than food AK has more to do for a whole family than Epcot by a large margin.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 20, 2024

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Aphrodite posted:

I think that's mostly because AK is your third or fourth gate most of the time. If you only have two days, the other parks are better options for the money.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Hutzpah posted:

I didn't realize all of the information on dining was readily available. My family - and mostly my wife - tend to over plan food wise so she will want to have meals planned ahead of times.
Definitely spend some time with her clicking around. Every restaurant in the entire resort area is on there, and they've all got their menus available.

quote:

My daughter is a toss-up, depending on her day and her mood. I think it will be the sort of thing where I need to find a few super small rides to start the day before she feels comfortable and confident. Starting her out on something that pushes her limit would make for a bad day. Same with a character meet. If the first day starts with someone in costume up in her face it'll end in tears, but if she can meet someone on her terms it will most likely go well and we can go more from there.
An option for your family's first ride could be Spaceship Earth, then -- that's the ride inside the "golf ball" at Epcot. It's literally the first thing you come to when you enter the park, it's extremely slow, and there's no thrills whatsoever, just a very chill dark ride where you look at some animatronics telling the story of how communication developed over the history of the world. The worst thing about it is that at the end, to get you back down (you're imperceptably climbing the whole time), you get turned backwards and then tilted downward somewhat. It's no worse than rocking back in a chair, but it's still a bit disconcerting.

That will, however, kill your valuable rope-drop time. Spaceship Earth is basically always a walkon and what you really need to do at rope drop is beeline for Norway to get on Frozen: Ever After (and possibly split off and send your son to France for Remy's, depending on his tolerance for doing girly rides with his sister). I think she can handle it and that whatever fright she'll get from the small drops and brief backwards part will be way overwhelmed by the whole seeing Frozen come to life around her thing, but I have literally never met your daughter.

Looking at ride videos was good advice. Here's Frozen's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYV2z4QbrxY
You go backwards from Elsa's singing at around 5:30, and the one brief acceleration and very small drop is after Marshmallow breathes smoke (ice?) at about 6:30.

As for character meets, I wouldn't worry. The Disney cast is the best of the best, they've seen more timid kids than you can possibly count and they know how to handle it, and they're well trained on not exceeding anyone's boundaries. Mickey will be very respectful, especially if you give the cast member bringing you to your meet a discreet word ahead of time.

You also have an advantage in that the princesses are face characters. That's Disney's term for people playing human characters who aren't in full mascot suits, just the appropriate costuming and wig. They're chosen for their resemblance to the character and can, and will, talk to your daughter in character. So when you meet Elsa and Anna, it'll be two very nice and entirely human ladies. Much less scary, and your daughter can interact with them, which ought to be a dream come true. (I'm sure she's got something she'd like to tell Elsa, after watching her on TV so many times.)

Aphrodite posted:

We dismissed it because the given brief was "Frozen, Moana, and ideally some thrill rides for the boy".

And also because it's a fourth gate, a half-day park (yes it is, fight me), and the least Disney of the parks, which matters a lot in this case. But mainly because all the stuff his kids want is in Epcot or kinda sorta DHS.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 21, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Epcot is the half day park that’s why they literally sold half day annual passes just for it :v:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hutzpah posted:

I went through all the replies with my wife and we talked about what we want to do. We are definitely doing MK on the Wednesday that we're there, and may look into booking a character meal. It's good to know we have reservations don't open until 60 days out so that we have a little bit to decide. Are there any recommendations in MK for lunch? I feel like a somewhat relaxed sitdown lunch in a cool environment might help to break up what will otherwise be a hot a busy day. And it might help us get to the fireworks at the end of the day.

Someone recommended Skipper Canteen, but we love Columbia Harbor House if you’re into seafood.

Pecos Bill and Cosmic Ray’s are also in that same tier of price and quality, but I’ve never been to Cosmic Ray’s and it wasn’t a complete madhouse. Harbor House is more chill and you can usually get a great view of Liberty Square/riverboat/Haunted Mansion while you eat and cool off.

CapnAndy posted:

I even looked it up and he's tall enough to do Cosmic Rewind. Which technically is a roller coaster, but one without any major drops or inversions, so, y'know... maybe? You go really, really fast both forwards and backwards and do a lot of turns.

A couple trips ago we took a non-Disney friend with us and we pitched the idea of doing Guardians since it had just recently opened. Our friend said “yeah that sounds cool. Just as long as it doesn’t spin, go backwards, or is in the dark.”

We just kind of responded :catstare:. She sat out.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 21, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hazo posted:

Someone recommended Skipper Canteen, but we love Columbia Harbor House if you’re into seafood.

Pecos Bill and Cosmic Ray’s are also in that same tier of price and quality, but I’ve never been to Cosmic Ray’s and it wasn’t a complete madhouse. Harbor House is more chill and you can usually get a great view of Liberty Square/riverboat/Haunted Mansion while you eat and cool off.
Oh yeah, that reminds me of the mega pro tip I discovered by accident last time I was at MK: If you want the best view of the parade possible, eat lunch at Pecos Bill's.

Take your time estimate for how long it'll take to order, get your food, and eat it, add a 15-20 minute chill out/safety cushion to that, and arrive that long before the parade. (So if you think it'll take 45 minutes and the parade is at 1 pm, arrive at 12:15.) Get a table outside, next to the fence dividing the restaurant from the street. Once you're done eating, hang out and wait -- the parade will come right down that street and there'll be nobody between you and it besides the fence.

That shot is not zoomed in, and the camera is not held over anyone's head. That's just the view you get.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hutzpah posted:

Try not to be too rigid. You never know what part of the park you'll be in when you all decide to have lunch. Obviously book the table service things you absolutely want to do (CRT for example) but otherwise try to play it loose. I would recommend having a few places noted as suggestions depending on where you are. Like above, someone recommended Pecos Bill. If you're over on that side of the park and you get hungry, yeah go for it. That place has tons of indoor and outdoor seating. There's also other QSR places nearby so you can grab something from them and sit down at Pecos Bill to eat.

I would definitely recommend having a game plan for breakfast though. Decide if you want to eat before or after you get into the park, and if it's after, where and when. Sometimes we'll grab something we can eat while on the bus to the parks. Sometimes we'll go straight for rope drop and do a few rides, then grab something. Basically, you don't want to waste an hour in the morning (those are precious hours) deciding what to do. Some of the places that do breakfast open at park open, and some open a little later, so again, try to be aware of this so you aren't wasting time. Of course that all also depends on any ride reservations you might have in the AM.

Now, as for places to check out, here's what I'd recommend:

Magic Kingdom:

Skipper's Canteen. A table service joint themed after the Jungle Cruise ride.
Cinderella's Royal Table. One of your kids digs the princesses, so this is a no-brainer.
Pecos Bill. The menu is fine, and a lot of it is sharable too.
Liberty Tree Tavern/Golden Horseshoe. These share the same kitchen and same menu. It's basically an all you can eat Thanksgiving dinner. It's pretty good and a nice way to relax for a bit. You can make reservations but if you want to do it spur of the moment you should be able to get into one of these.

There's a lot of little stands that sell unique snacks, so check the app/website and see which ones to check out. Don't forget to hit up the bakery on Main Street.

Hollywood Studios:
Scifi Dine-in. My favorite restaurant in the parks due to the theming. The food is burgers, fries, shakes, that sort of thing. The kids will like it and you probably will too. If you think you want to do this, book it ASAP because it's always busy.
50's Prime Time Cafe: Surprisingly good food and the theming is fun. This one seems to be a bit easier to get into on standby if you don't want to make reservations (or maybe you decide to do this for lunch on the fly)
Don't forget to hit up the milk stand in Galaxy's Edge, and the Ronto Roaster.

Epcot:

Epcot has so much food it's not even funny. I have yet to try every place there. I would hit up the app and see what's to your liking since I'm not sure how picky you all might be. I think there's a festival there during your visit so there will be a lot more options. As for sit down joints, I like Biergarten, La Cellier, and Regal Eagle is a good QSR that's indoors with plenty of seating.

For a meal at one of your non-park days, I highly recommend the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/cabins-at-fort-wilderness-resort/hoop-dee-doo-musical-revue/

It's a dinner show thing that's really fun. The food is good too. The kids will like it (I hope).

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 21, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I would definitely recommend planning around Pecos Bill's, just bcause it's an insane parade-viewing hack that apparently nobody knows (unless I showed up on some extreme outlier of a day).

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

CapnAndy posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me of the mega pro tip I discovered by accident last time I was at MK: If you want the best view of the parade possible, eat lunch at Pecos Bill's.

Take your time estimate for how long it'll take to order, get your food, and eat it, add a 15-20 minute chill out/safety cushion to that, and arrive that long before the parade. (So if you think it'll take 45 minutes and the parade is at 1 pm, arrive at 12:15.) Get a table outside, next to the fence dividing the restaurant from the street. Once you're done eating, hang out and wait -- the parade will come right down that street and there'll be nobody between you and it besides the fence.

That shot is not zoomed in, and the camera is not held over anyone's head. That's just the view you get.

This is a good tip. It’s also directly next to the gate where the parade starts, so you get all the cast members fully energized and not tired from their performance.

When we did the Keys to the Kingdom tour and we finished our trip backstage where they keep all the floats and the machine shop and the Splash Mountain water reservoir, our guide brought us out of the parade gate and posted us up at Pecos for lunch reservations.

Speaking of, some of you probably know this fun fact, but just down that employees-only path there’s a diagonal line painted on the ground

That line is there because it denotes the absolute limit of what guests can see from the park paths. Behind that line is considered “backstage,” and in front of it is “onstage.” So parade performers have to switch fully into character before stepping across that line.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hutzpah posted:

To be honest, I hadn't thought of that. But it's good to consider. I'll have to see what we have planned for our non-Disney days in Florida.

My son is many things, but he is not patient. Epcot it is.

Thanks for the epcot info. It seems like that will be the way to go.

How's your daughter feel about something like a very calm boat ride through a greenhouse that explains the science behind it? There's live fish and whatnot in great big tanks and tons of neat plants at Living with the Land. Super mellow. Very quiet. Literally 0 bumps or drops.

If she (or they) likes Finding Nemo, The Seas has a ride with Nemo, Dory, and Marlin. And Turtle Talk with Crush, which has an interactive digital puppet controlled by a really fantastic improv actor behind a green screen. That may be a lot more low key "meet and greet" to start out with.

I wouldn't recommend jumping right in Spaceship Earth because the backwards ride down the golf ball at the end is gentle but it's steep. Journey into Imagination with Figment has the dragon skunk you and has some really loud and dark areas (trains coming at you, wind blowing past you, in the dark, etc).

Here's a list of POV videos of Epcot rides, so you can get a better feel for all of them:

Spaceship Earth (the "big golf ball") : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgQeDO3W-zU
Cosmic Rewind/Guardians of the Galaxy (she's too small for this one anyhow) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ0ZPRmDA58
Test Track (same as above) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvR58UJetOg
Mission: Space (same as above, but this ride is infamous and unpopular and it's well deserved, it's a really tight space and it's rough; if you go you want the green side) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd--jUIj8OM
The Seas with Nemo and Friends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqoAHhCyzdk
Turtle Talk with Crush (not a ride, just a show) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3edMsTsljAQ
Soarin' (this is probably awesome for your son but too much for your little girl) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfI7s4hO5JU
Living with the Land: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oESYr8kb4us
Journey into Imagination with Figment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tTk7RhLQ14

The Friendship Boats (World Showcase transport but also a ride, not always running) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QLWHOi0Abw
Gran Fiesta Tour (Mexico Pavilion, World Showcase) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wam5TLY2y7c
Frozen Ever After (Norway Pavilion, World Showcase) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYV2z4QbrxY
Frozen Meet and Greet (so you can see what the experience is like, disney promo material) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjbtPWLM8kU
Remy's Ratatouille Adventure (France Pavilion, World Showcase) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhQ4QZc6DQc

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Is Akershus open for character breakfast again? We did that when we took my Frozen obsessed youngest child, then hit the Elsa and Anna meet and greet with no wait.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Funzo posted:

Is Akershus open for character breakfast again? We did that when we took my Frozen obsessed youngest child, then hit the Elsa and Anna meet and greet with no wait.

it is but it's a little more adventurous when it comes to the menu

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hutzpah posted:

Go to Ohana the day before the parks so. It'll let you get the character breakfast in and you can ask your daughter if she'd like to meet more characters or do find something else to do.

Hazo posted:

Speaking of, some of you probably know this fun fact, but just down that employees-only path there’s a diagonal line painted on the ground

That line is there because it denotes the absolute limit of what guests can see from the park paths. Behind that line is considered “backstage,” and in front of it is “onstage.” So parade performers have to switch fully into character before stepping across that line.
I did not know this and it is very cool. Thank you.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

it is but it's a little more adventurous when it comes to the menu

Not really for breakfast. It's pretty standard breakfast food: eggs, bacon, waffles, potatoes, fruit.

With picky kids, I always recommend breakfast because it's basically the same food resort wide and most kids eat breakfast foods.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Cosmic Rays is the best QS in MK but only because of Sonny Eclipse.

I normally eat at Columbia Harbor House and deeply regret the lack of entertainment

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Harbor House ditching my vegetarian chili (so good) for this garbage doom burger is criminal

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just got back from 7 days at WDW. I noticed a few improvements from our last trip in Jun 2022.

Ride capacity was back to normal. There were a couple days of rainy weather and they didn't pull capacity from the rides, they kept them rolling. Rode BTM back to back to back and the only time we stopped moving was to sit on the ride. Queues moved faster than last time, and staffing levels seemed really really good overall. I have no data to back this up, just a feeling compared to our last trip. Maybe it was due to the weather and they were staffing for a packed holiday weekend and the rain kept a lot of people out of the parks. You can get an amazing amount of stuff done with the low crowds due to the rain. Grab a good rain jacket and quick dri shorts and have a blast.

Transportation felt better. Felt like there was less wait for busses and the monorail compared to last trip.

My only complaint really was the food quality at Le Cellier, the steaks were trash. My sons NY Strip was probably the best. My wife's filet was tough and my ribeye was not good at all, and calling it a ribeye is a stretch. Closer to a chuck eye really, and for 60 bucks I'm expecting a prime grade ribeye.

The biggest thing was staffing levels across the board. Plenty of bell services folks at the hotel (last trip it was hard to find someone on occasion), tons of Photo Pass photographers everywhere. Just lots and lots of cast members it felt like which was awesome because those folks really make the entire experience.

Got lucky with some virtual queues and extra magic hours. I was able to ride Tron and Guardians 3 times each. Tron is great, but Guardians is a superior attraction in my opinion.

This was probably our best WDW trip since 2016. Yeah, prices are way way up since 2016 or even just 4 years ago, but I left feeling like it was worth it overall.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How's your daughter feel about something like a very calm boat ride through a greenhouse that explains the science behind it? There's live fish and whatnot in great big tanks and tons of neat plants at Living with the Land. Super mellow. Very quiet. Literally 0 bumps or drops.

If she (or they) likes Finding Nemo, The Seas has a ride with Nemo, Dory, and Marlin. And Turtle Talk with Crush, which has an interactive digital puppet controlled by a really fantastic improv actor behind a green screen. That may be a lot more low key "meet and greet" to start out with.

I wouldn't recommend jumping right in Spaceship Earth because the backwards ride down the golf ball at the end is gentle but it's steep. Journey into Imagination with Figment has the dragon skunk you and has some really loud and dark areas (trains coming at you, wind blowing past you, in the dark, etc).
Hmm, yeah, okay. Living With the Land is as mellow as they come, but would likely be dull for a 4 year old, and Turtle Talk isn't a ride at all so it's no good for acclimation. The Seas With Nemo is the best initial ride from a pure "dipping a toe in shallow waters" perspective -- you're in a ride vehicle, but all it does is move sidways at a steady pace, and there's cool fish and projections of Nemo characters to look at. The daughter will likely love it (and so will the son; fish are cool).

That said, there's a discussion to be had here on what the priority should be for the first ride that we can't answer, because we don't know the daughter. How you use the time right after rope drop is crucial from a time-management perspective. The difference between showing up at rope drop and showing up even two hours later is the difference between "got to do everything we wanted to and weren't stressed" and "couldn't fit in everything and had to make hard decisions".

Ideally speaking, like I said, at rope drop you go directly to France and make Frozen: Ever After your first ride. Doing it that way saves you the ~90 minutes you'd otherwise spend in line for it; that's a massive amount of time added back onto your schedule. But it's ultimately not up to us; Hutzpah, you (and maybe your wife) need to watch the ride video for Frozen, maybe have a conversation with your daughter (but don't show her the video! spoilers!), and decide if she can handle that first thing or if she needs to be eased in.

Arquinsiel posted:

Go to Ohana the day before the parks so. It'll let you get the character breakfast in and you can ask your daughter if she'd like to meet more characters or do find something else to do.
Oh, using Ohana as a character meet test-run is a good idea. Especially because during character dining, Lilo and Stitch will go to a lot of other tables before they get to yours, which means your daughter will have a chance to observe them from a distance and see how they behave with other kids before they come pay attention to her. One thing to note, though, is that both Lilo and Stitch are "fur" characters, as opposed to face; they're both in full mascot suits. So it's a bit more disconcerting than the face princesses will be.

Also once we get this initial stuff worked out, we need to start helping you with Magic Kingdom rides and also give you the whole lineskip jargon rundown, because Disney makes that poo poo intentionally confusing, so... say when, I guess.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
At this point the we're reaching the level of over-scrutinizing that ruins a Disney vacation before it even starts. Like "hmm, I wonder if I would have had 30% more fun if I had chosen Hollywood Studios instead of Epcot today?". Plus the OP has already decided in MK and Epcot and it's just two days out of a larger vacation.

Though it does showcase the enthusiasm we all have, which is cool.

At this point I think they just need a basic rundown of Genie+ and Virtual Queues which someone else will have to do because I've hardly used them. My only further advice is that the middle of the day is always the most crowded, with crowds being thinner the closer to opening and closing. Probably the most common mistake new visitors make is arriving mid-day during peak crowds and being overwhelmed and leaving before the crowds thin out for the evening. The first two hours and last two hours of a park's operating day are crucial to maximizing how much you experience.

Since they have young kids, I don't anticipate them wanting to spend the entire day in the park. Therefore, it's better to either arrive right at rope drop (AKA the earliest that guests are permitted into the park) OR arrive mid-day and stay until closing.

Arrive early, leave before close Pros: Pretty much essential if you plan on maximizing Genie+/Lightning Lane. You leave the park before the mad rush after fireworks/closing (only an issue at MK).
Arrive early, leave before close cons: You miss the night fireworks.

Therefore, taking into account small kids, I would arrive early at Magic Kingdom and maximize Genie+/Lightning Lane, and arrive later on the Epcot day with the plan to stay until closing.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 21, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

At this point the we're reaching the level of over-scrutinizing that ruins a Disney vacation before it even starts. Like "hmm, I wonder if I would have had 30% more fun if I had chosen Hollywood Studios instead of Epcot today?". Plus the OP has already decided in MK and Epcot and it's just two days out of a larger vacation.
I have not yet begun to overplan!

In all seriousness, this is where I'd like to get Hutzpah: knowing where they're gonna eat and having their opening moves for each day planned, and otherwise just aware of overall goals and all his options, so that he can evaluate on-site "okay, we are at <place> right now, our kid's moods are <mood>, I know what our priorities are and I have a good idea of what my kids will think of the nearby attractions, I can make an informed decision about what we do next".

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
While it is not even close to being a done deal, I am angling to be a Cast Member again in a role that can actually accommodate my lovely joints, working at guest service call center behind Port Orleans.. I think I aced the second interview, I just need to wait until the interview process is over to find out

Having a solid job again is great, but also gimme those sweet sweet main gate passes please.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Aww, that's neat. I probably will blow much of the money I was planning to become a CM visiting the parks briefly and hoard the rest for some future event.

Even going to the parks as a visitor these days is kind of weird because I'm looking at things as a business. I'm noticing the management detache walking around, I'm wondering why there's seven security guys in that corner, I know more or less what obscure facilities buildings are actually used for. I still love it for being mostly the same place it was when I was eight, but I've also become The Man Who Knew Too Much (about Mickey).

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 23, 2024

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

While it is not even close to being a done deal, I am angling to be a Cast Member again in a role that can actually accommodate my lovely joints, working at guest service call center behind Port Orleans.. I think I aced the second interview, I just need to wait until the interview process is over to find out

Having a solid job again is great, but also gimme those sweet sweet main gate passes please.

Note to self, call guest services over and over asking "do you have stairs in your house?"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Note to self, call guest services over and over asking "do you have stairs in your house?"

but they all answer the same: "sir/maam, I live in my car so no"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

but they all answer the same: "sir/maam, I live in my car so no"

CCL finds the single cast member who lives in a refurbed double decker bus

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

CCL finds the single cast member who lives in a refurbed double decker bus

Gardner Minshew works at Disney?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
First ever day of RunDisney was a success. Finished the 5k, but my time was awful. Although 90% of that was because of how crazy congested the course was. It was obvious there were hoards of first time runners, but then again I haven't ran anything like this in over 25 years, so I'm basically a first-timer myself. So I wasn't put off by it.

I was a little disappointed in the special character meet and greets. Mainly because the lines were so long for them while we were trying to finish a run. It's was only a 5k and I normally take about a 35 minutes to run that distance, but the line for Cinderella was about 35 minutes when I got to it. I was sad I didn't get to wait for Goofy because he was in a Mardi Gras costume I didn't even know was in his wardrobe. I wish they had been able to move those lines faster, but there was also a critical mass of people I honestly didn't expect. Sm

We are about to go to bed as I type this for the 10k, so we'll see how that goes!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Craptacular! posted:

Even going to the parks as a visitor these days is kind of weird because I'm looking at things as a business. I'm noticing the management detache walking around, I'm wondering why there's seven security guys in that corner, I know more or less what obscure facilities buildings are actually used for. I still love it for being mostly the same place it was when I was eight, but I've also become The Man Who Knew Too Much (about Mickey).

Cmon man you can’t just drop this into a thread and not elaborate. If you can’t share these kind of things online then at least shoot me a PM because I’m the kind of person who spends a good part of his time at Disney World fascinated by the sheer logistics involved and I’d love to hear more.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Hazo posted:

Cmon man you can’t just drop this into a thread and not elaborate. If you can’t share these kind of things online then at least shoot me a PM because I’m the kind of person who spends a good part of his time at Disney World fascinated by the sheer logistics involved and I’d love to hear more.
Next time you’re there, here’s a fun game — look at the placement of seating, trash cans, and rest rooms. Note the distance between them. Someone calculated where to put them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Next time you’re there, here’s a fun game — look at the placement of seating, trash cans, and rest rooms. Note the distance between them. Someone calculated where to put them.
I dunno if it's a legend or true fact, but I read that Walt Disney counted how many steps he took while walking to eat a hot dog, and then decreed that there should always be a trash can within that many steps of every guest, no matter where they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm kind of insane and have worked, at least a little bit, in each of the main 7 Orlando parks. If you show me something backstage on Google Earth, there's a good chance I know what it is! (but not guaranteed!)

I'm the same way, it's hard for me to go to these parks and not be hyper aware of everything I am seeing and just be in the moment. The exception is if I go with someone who doesn't go very often or has never gone, then I am able to experience it vicariously through them and be more in the moment. It's mostly a problem with the Orlando parks though. When I go to other parks I'm still familiar with standard business practices, but I can still escape and have fun.