Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

imo, and maybe this is not a very spicy take,

signing up for evacuation missions at higher levels is just not a great idea right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Potato Salad posted:

imo, and maybe this is not a very spicy take,

signing up for evacuation missions at higher levels is just not a great idea right now?

We wanted to see how it'd go after the patch toning it down

Not great! The step from Hard to Extreme with it was balls out lol

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I dont have nearly as much fun in the evac or stand your ground exterminate missions as the longer larger map ones. I think the replay value of the game is in those longer mission types and hope they add more.

Edit: they are a good setting for heavier armor and area denial stratagems though. There could be ways of making stuff like that more valuable in larger missions too, like point control for x amount of time objectives or something

thalweg fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 23, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Remember to set your railgun to UNSAFE

And as was pointed out - if you are shooting Striders and the driver is popping out, aim for where the driver is and make sure you are overcharged with unsafe mode.
The shroud on the strider is heavy armor, which you need overcharge to punch through - this also lets you just shoot through the riot shields on Heavy Devastators.

Railgun deletes every other bot in one hit - except berserkers and their weirdly tanky nature. 3-6 shots to kill Tanks and Turrets if you hit the vents or not.

Chargers you can pop leg armor in 2 hits, or just 3 shot them to the head (far easier IMO) - it also staggers them on each hit so they never even have a chance of squishing you.

If you are overcharged, the gun also overpenetrates enemies and you can take out several at once. It's extremely good at popping annoying bugs like hive guards and stalkers - but generally a far better gun vs 'bots.

Always be overcharging.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Got any advice for safe(r) overcharging? What's the cues we'll be looking for when we finally get to 20?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Yeah the defence exterminate levels are simply boring. Sadly there's so many people running them repeatedly it's hard not to land in one with quickplay. Also, they're all on the planets we're meant to be running campaigns on to win the major objective, which is running very slowly, probably because noone's completing campaigns!

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

Got any advice for safe(r) overcharging? What's the cues we'll be looking for when we finally get to 20?

It's not hard, even in third person you can see the gun's power level on the back, and there's tons of time before it explodes

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So far it’s been easy for me to do missions I want to, just start the mission and the quick players fill my ship pretty fast.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Alkydere posted:

Get pulled into some Helldivers with friends from one of the goon co-op servers. We have some fun with the bugs, I teach them new stuff, let them try out some of my fancier weapons they don't have, etc.

Then we go to fight bots.

Me: "We're going to stealth this. Because neither of you have fought the Automatons yet and the bots are a whole different ball game."

So we do. Only hitting a couple side objectives and the occasional patrol in overwhelming force. I think they're learning and once we do the objective it's time for the exfil.

One of them: "Hey let's blow up this base on our way."

Me: "The big base? The biggest, red, danger hash on the map?"

THAT guy: "Yeah"

Other guy: "If he wants to"

Me, internally: This is going to be an education.

2 tanks, 2 turrets and a goliath later, we're running for the hills like scared children and barely make it out after running out of reinforcements.

It says right there in the training manual, "Death is preferable to cowardice"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
getting a little sick of the number of random lobbies I join where the host is just endlessly grinding elimination missions instead of actually doing campaigns

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Be the host

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LazyMaybe posted:

getting a little sick of the number of random lobbies I join where the host is just endlessly grinding elimination missions instead of actually doing campaigns

I finally got kicked by a random, when I expressed confusion over having the most kills on the victory stats when I brought the stun mortars the third time in a row they did that mission. Maybe they got mad on reflex when I said the words "Killsteal" wondering if the shocks tagged them as my kills, and the last thing I heard was "WHAT!?"

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Potato Salad posted:

It takes about five seconds to explode. Pick your favorite national anthem; you’ve got about two bars’ worth of time to get the shot off. (From my experience, this works the best when you are singing aloud into an open mic, timed to the 380mm you threw at your feet.)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just hauled a couple of pubbies through a suicide robots. They really loved getting killed by robots but no more than 23 helldivers were dying on my watch today!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Just say "Peanut butter peanut butter JAM" and if you get to the end and haven't fired yet you're probably gonna die.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Also if anyone's keeping up with the map, the Automaton and Terminid fronts have both expanded oh boy. :allears:

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
hellmire is probably the coolest planet yet

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Right, so the way the Railgun works is it has four damage bands.

The first band is undercharged - firing before the snap sound effect and the crosshairs lock.

Second band is at full safe charge. If you have it to safe this is the point it hovers at when you hold the trigger. This damage band cracks Charger legs in two shots, and will kill a hulk with a single headshot.

Third band is anywhere between safe charge and detonation, three additional seconds or so. Holding a shot for 2.1 seconds is the same damage as 4.9 seconds, so don't tickle the timer.

Fourth band is the shot you get when you kill yourself - holding the shot until the weapon explodes. It will still shoot when this happens, though the weapon is destroyed and you are killed. Seems to do a ton of damage, but I haven't tested it much for obvious reasons.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I wonder if it's a bad idea to take three eagles as your loadout (and maybe a grenade launcher). you'd have access to a lot firepower from them, but because of the way the rearms work, you'll always have a few minutes downtime where you can do pretty much nothing while they rearm.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
I really want to play this game more but I don’t have time :cripes:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really like the bots but everyone I play with hates them. It's annoying playing bugs 80% of the time. the bugs are the best, but variety is so much better. We played suicide mission bots all night and I was having a blast while everyone else was complaining about it being too hard even though we completed every single mission just fine idgi.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
sometimes i can one shot a fabricator with the grenade launcher, sometimes it takes 3. adjusted for drop and facing the front of it. i don't get it

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Booty Pageant posted:

sometimes i can one shot a fabricator with the grenade launcher, sometimes it takes 3. adjusted for drop and facing the front of it. i don't get it

Use a spear next time. Blow up bot farm from 4 grid squares away.

Sometimes.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Having now taken the AMR to higher level bot missions, I can recommend it as an alternative to the railgun. You'll be using it mostly on the same targets, and while the railgun is much more forgiving in terms of doing damage, if you are capable of nailing those headshots, you can put in a ton of work against anything except for the tanks. Between the two, I think I actually prefer the AMR assuming things are relatively under control, but I'd rather have the railgun if the wheels have fallen off, because it's so much easier to panic shoot with it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

raverrn posted:

Fourth band is the shot you get when you kill yourself - holding the shot until the weapon explodes. It will still shoot when this happens, though the weapon is destroyed and you are killed. Seems to do a ton of damage, but I haven't tested it much for obvious reasons.

I've survived it with the armor effect that lets you survive a fatal hit, the gun being gone is a nice touch in a game filled with nice touches.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I wish we could choose any planet to land on because the current bug planets are pretty dull to run repeat missions on.

Also it should be some kind of crime not to ask for confirmation before jumping into someone else's mission, but also putting their mission nodes literally next to the mission nodes on the map. Game, we didn't want to join this rando!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Insert name here posted:

Having now taken the AMR to higher level bot missions, I can recommend it as an alternative to the railgun. You'll be using it mostly on the same targets, and while the railgun is much more forgiving in terms of doing damage, if you are capable of nailing those headshots, you can put in a ton of work against anything except for the tanks. Between the two, I think I actually prefer the AMR assuming things are relatively under control, but I'd rather have the railgun if the wheels have fallen off, because it's so much easier to panic shoot with it.

After using it for the daily I have to say I really like it. I don't bring a support gun with me because I like to bring the heat, but if I find an AMR now I'm like oh yeah nice rather than eh.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

pubbie running a pure M E T A build every mission who always ran off on their own with zero communication and jacked the difficulty up three levels without asking anyone in the party got really mad after they stepped between me and a bug hole i was tossing a grenade into and exploded :allears:

with my req income going up, up, up thanks to higher dif missions i'm finally getting to play with a bunch of new toys (have to tear myself away from the grenade launcher) and oh my the autocannon is lovely. even having to reload by yourself it's perfectly serviceable unless you've been overrun by hunters but then you're probably hosed no matter what

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
https://i.imgur.com/BSF3fQg.mp4

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For a while I thought it was the dumbest poo poo that this game doesn't have a line indicating the arc of a grenade throw, because it made throwing grenades and strategems feel janky as hell. After a few days I begrudgingly accepted it because it caused a lot of funny foibles. After a few weeks I feel like Michael Jordan every time I almost effortlessly throw a grenade into a hive or fabricator from 100 feet away.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like the throwing distance armour because you can chuck impact nades like a grenade launcher and wipe entire waves out.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

hey mom its 420 posted:

I wonder if it's a bad idea to take three eagles as your loadout (and maybe a grenade launcher). you'd have access to a lot firepower from them, but because of the way the rearms work, you'll always have a few minutes downtime where you can do pretty much nothing while they rearm.

it ends up working a little differently than you're thinking - the downtime isn't the issue, it's that the downtime never starts until you either use up all 15 of your various eagle charges, or until you manually send it in to refill. So if you use your 500kg and airstrikes but still have 3-4 clusters and a few strafes left you're basically extending the time you don't have 500kg/air strikes. I think 3 Eagle and a support weapon is about as far as I'd push it because you need something to kill stuff during the 2:30 the Eagle takes to rearm, but honestly I think 2 Eagle strats, or even 1 Eagle 1 Orbital is probably better.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

I like the throwing distance armour because you can chuck impact nades like a grenade launcher and wipe entire waves out.

counterpoint, buying throwing distance armor cause it looks cool without reading the description and overthrowing everything.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

The Terminid Control System has been built, so the voice lines of the ship crew have changed to talk more about Automatons. For the crew romance fans out there

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

idiotsavant posted:

it ends up working a little differently than you're thinking - the downtime isn't the issue, it's that the downtime never starts until you either use up all 15 of your various eagle charges, or until you manually send it in to refill. So if you use your 500kg and airstrikes but still have 3-4 clusters and a few strafes left you're basically extending the time you don't have 500kg/air strikes. I think 3 Eagle and a support weapon is about as far as I'd push it because you need something to kill stuff during the 2:30 the Eagle takes to rearm, but honestly I think 2 Eagle strats, or even 1 Eagle 1 Orbital is probably better.

Bear in mind I have the eagle strike upgrade unlocked - I take 110s, bombing run and 500kg with an orbital laser as my pocket poo poo hitting the fan option.

I use this with the JAR-5 and Uzi thing. The JAR is like a mini autocannon so I just just pull apart large bugs or robots easily then uzi the remaining ones.

The eagles don't have a job that isn't annihilating hard targets, so I don't feel like I'm hard up when I'm down to 110s or a 500 before rearm. Payloads also wipe out factories and bug holes without me needing to get my hands dirty which is nice for when you're legging it and pass a factory. When the eagles are rearming and pressure starts I just orbital laser. Three is more than enough.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I had the most frustrating scientist defense loss. Started with half a squad and started getting overwhelmed, but after a while two more people dropped in we managed to salvage the LZ and start rescuing again. It was right down to the wire, I ran to the next button and saw a stuck blob of civilians clipping into each other. We ran out of time with one civ needed.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
With Eagle strikes it really depends on what you're taking. Like, I'm a Eagle Cluster Enjoyer, which has 5 charges with all the upgrades, so I'll take one other Eagle strike at most, because those 5 clusters are going to hold the whole thing up unless I manually send the Eagle off to rearm. There have been plenty of times I've dropped both 500kg bombs, and steadily used my clusters at an interval that meant that I couldn't have done a manual rearm, but really wished my 500kg was recharged a minute and a half ago.

On the other hand, if I'm focusing more on the regular airstrike or 500kg, I'm more willing to bring more Eagle strikes since those have 3 and 2 uses respectively, so the opportunity cost is subsequently lower as the Eagle is going to rearm automatically that much sooner.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Personally I find using it in first person easiest. You can see the buildup in third person, but it’s much harder (in my opinion).

There are no audio cues that you’re reaching the threshold. Also, as soon as you hit 100% the gun will explode - killing you - instantaneously, so basically the last second or so of overcharge is your warning. If you do blow up the gun (and yourself) then it won’t exist when you get called down again, which might mean you’re rolling without a support weapon for a bit.

Despite that, unsafe mode is clearly the way to go.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
These swedes are something else. Patches/Updates at 4AM and then again at 11AM, there's been about 8? patches in the last 14 days.

Meanwhile at Fatshark it takes 3 months to fix basic bugged units and buffs that literally work opposite to how they're supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They're using Fatshark's meatball based autocad engine as well.