Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I've only played a couple of games since the initial playtest way back when but I would like to announce, gently caress The Arm (game great likely goty)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

CJacobs posted:

Always crack a smile when he shows up in the shop. Hey pal, it's been a while!

Hes gotten me thru a lot of early Antes 🫡

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

The basic +4 mult joker is good and a friend. a simple, decent ability to help in early antes. think its even cheaper than other commons.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

External Organs posted:

gently caress The Wall, btw.

:yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfBFSCjAeWc

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Have gotten 2 friends hooked on Balatro

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think the top 5 most annoying bosses are the Arm, the Needle, the Water, the Wall, and the Serpent

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Smeared Joker runs allow you to turn off your brain. All red? All good. All black? Also all good. Just unga bunga those flushes every hand.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Ahhhhh I see. So THIS will be the game that I spend several hundred hours on this year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Completed all the stock decks. Time to start playing at red stake!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

This card's effects broke me.

It has Holographic, so I definitely want to play it, yet it has a purple seal, so I definitely want to discard it, but it has steel, so I definitely want to hold onto it and not play it or discard it but it has holographic so------

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Not bad for my first tutorial run. Lost here because I barely had enough juice to get past the Ante 10 boss blind and this wanted 7x that many chips.
It was funny having to skip the Negative "all cards are scored" Joker because it would have ruined my Ride the Bus streak if I couldn't play face cards with aces or pairs to get them out of my hand.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It'd be nice if there were clearer indicators to differentiate enhancements and editions. I like the seals, they all have a shared visual language that makes it easy to connect them. But what makes steel an enhancement and not an edition? Why is gold and wild card mutually exclusive but gold and holographic aren't? They could also stand to stamp the keywords in the description. Instead of it saying "steel card" it could say "steel enhancement" or something.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

External Organs posted:

gently caress The Wall, btw.

Lost to the wall by 27 chips. Wanted to throw something.

Then I lost to the Violet Vessel (the final boss version) by...a good deal more. Still pissed.

Edit:
Also Mime does disgusting things when mixed with steel cards, raised fist, or better yet: both!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That’s The Wall, brother !

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

Disappointed if wheel isn't your #1

Guess how many times its triggered for me: literally only once

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 23, 2024

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Lost to the wall by 27 chips. Wanted to throw something.

Then I lost to the Violet Vessel (the final boss version) by...a good deal more. Still pissed.

I had the jokers that give you +14 mult from each queen and x1.5 from each king in your hand. I placed my queens on the left of my hand and my kings on the right, but after every hand the game would autosort my hand by rank and I'd have to do it again. Then in my last hand against the Wall I forgot to do that and I lost by ~500 chips :downs:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Pigbuster posted:

Guess how many times its triggered for me: literally only once

Where are you people seeing those stats? Is it per run or overall profile-based?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

grate deceiver posted:

Where are you people seeing those stats? Is it per run or overall profile-based?

Overall. Stats is located in options.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've made it through at least one run on a few decks at this point, and certain ways you can be successful have started to stick a little. I'm not really at the point where I understand how to break the game. I lost my last run on ante 10 boss where I was running a strategy based around constantly making Straights that was on pace to keep up, but ended up missing the mark specifically because I ACCIDENTALLY got a Royal Flush due to wild cards filling in variables, which gave me about 1/3rd the amount any normal Straight would, which is irritating. Certainly the game was designed with weird oddly-specific interactions like that whereas actual Poker doesn't really have compounding effects that would apply to certain things in ways where you would want to turn in a hand worse than the best hand you can make at any given time.

Next step is starting to play with stakes active. Does anyone have specific strategies for certain decks, like what you should be generally aiming for on lower, middle, and high antes?

How about specific joker/deck/hand combos that work nicely? Are there jokers that you can generally always pick up and turn into good runs?

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Got my first Legendary joker (Triboulet, X2 Mult when a K or Q scores) and blew past Ante 12 (thanks Blueprint).

Highest scoring hand was 11 billion, Ante 13 boss was The Needle at 42 billion, I think. Chip count was letting me down a bit, Foil would have been better than Hologram on Blueprint.
(Also looking back I have some order wrong - I have a Polychrome before a Holo, Clubs should have been first in hand)

pray for my aunt fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 23, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BabyRyoga posted:

I've made it through at least one run on a few decks at this point, and certain ways you can be successful have started to stick a little. I'm not really at the point where I understand how to break the game.

I'm also at the point where I don't quite get how to make broken combinations and am surviving through playing really solid Poker, it's very fun.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

This run is so blessed

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

ooh. ooooh. red seal works on cards in your hand, too. double steel here we go :getin:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Is anyone else playing the meta game where you get to freak out your family members by saying you're "addicted to a poker video game"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My grandparents asked, concerned, if you bet real money to play it

My dad was psyched when I told him about it and bought it immediately

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

External Organs posted:

Is anyone else playing the meta game where you get to freak out your family members by saying you're "addicted to a poker video game"

My housemate thought I was addicted to online poker lol

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Man, the blue deck really is miles better than the rest.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Blue Deck was where I came to the realization that playing a hand also can serve as a discard if you want. The limitations imposed by the decks are cool, they mess with the basic mechanics in ways that teach you new ways to play.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Has the dev mentioned anything about adding daily runs with a leaderboard and whatnot? I always enjoyed those in Binding of Isaac.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Veryslightlymad posted:

This card's effects broke me.

It has Holographic, so I definitely want to play it, yet it has a purple seal, so I definitely want to discard it, but it has steel, so I definitely want to hold onto it and not play it or discard it but it has holographic so------

Pfft. Putting that one in the screenshot reel.

External Organs posted:

I tried telling a coworker about it, but generally speaking as long as it isn't visibly ruining my life nobody really seems to care one way or the other. Unfortunately I have a similar but distinct problem, where I can't even get people I know who like poker or gambling to be interested in the game because they're mostly interested in the social or money-making aspects, not the risk-taking or make number go up ones.

Harlock posted:

Disappointed if wheel isn't your #1

I don't have any catastrophic Wheel failure stories, but it does seem to disappoint me more often than not. As I should expect!

Otherwise not much progress. Just spent most of the morning doing/failing at card unlocks. With just under 90% of the collection want to try and getting as close as I can to 100% before making serious progress on pushing new deck completion/stakes again.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 23, 2024

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

h u h. nother bit of trivia: Riff-Raff can mint Negative jokers. neat.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What I wouldn't give for riff raff Sacrifical Dagger

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

apophenium posted:

Has the dev mentioned anything about adding daily runs with a leaderboard and whatnot? I always enjoyed those in Binding of Isaac.

The store page mentions dailies, so it's either something coming soon or something that got cut and they forgot to remove it. I hope it's the former

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i usually don't enjoy games like this, but this one's really good. Got my first win with the blue deck this morning (with level 8 or 9 two pair plus the joker that boosts 4 card plays plus the joker that boosts two pair). I do hope there's more than one music option at some point though.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Got my first win last night with a red deck, sacrificial dagger, bunch of +chip jokers, and level 9 pair. Any pair was worth a min of 30k.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wish there was a a way to have a one screen overview of your deck + jokers + hand lvls after you die

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I know expectations for this game were sky high but it's way better than I thought it would be. The higher difficulties make the game so interesting and the colossal # of jokers in the game makes so many runs crazy and reward you for recognizing combos.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

God loving drat it, I wish The Eye would keep a list of what hand types you've already used against it. Absolutely hosed myself at the end of a glorious run, then, by getting mixed up wrt my prior hands. Livid.

I do appreciate that you can drag the Eye around the screen for some reason though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

No Wave posted:

I know expectations for this game were sky high but it's way better than I thought it would be. The higher difficulties make the game so interesting and the colossal # of jokers in the game makes so many runs crazy and reward you for recognizing combos.

I wonder if this will open itself up to the workshop, or if the dev will deliberately avoid it...

This has potential to go really, really deep into its own rabbit hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Mechanical question for unlocks: there are some vouchers that are just better versions of other vouchers. Like one that's like Hone but makes foils/holos/prismatics 4x as common instead of 2x. Are there conditions for having them show up in a run?