Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
To quote the thread title: "loving LOL Nevermind."

We love getting to experience the service and aftersales experience 9 days after buying a car with only 35k km on it.

In addition to this, HVAC blower bearing is on the way out, sunroof seals crooked and weird, brakes squeal at low speed, auto high beams throw errors when the car is immaculately clean saying cameras are obstructed... I hope the loaner is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thank you for not idling.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Post your own RIDE -

Rogz posted:

gently caress you FORD!

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Beginning of short stay in Maine:

Ending of short stay in Maine:

The S4 has been great since I took ownership last summer. My only real complaint is about the awful speaker rattles (I have the B&O system) that the B9's exhibit. I had many speakers replaced in my B9 A4 with aftermarket ones, but I don't know if I'll go down that road again with this car.

I've done most regular maintenance myself, though it seems time to replace an upper control arm due to my driveway's terrible drop-off causing unnecessary stress. And I am getting some strange vibration at around 2k RPM in certain gears. Thinking I'll have to check motor mounts and CV axles in the near future. Overall the bigger motor, interior, sport diff, and sport suspension have been major upgrades over the A4's counterparts. The A4's DSG transmission is really the bees knees, though... that is probably the one thing I miss. Shifts were faster and smoother with that, but can only hold 450 Nm of torque as opposed to the ZF 8-speed automatic in the S4 which seems to be limited to 650 Nm. Maybe I'll big-turbo it one day. :getin:

God bless my detailer being open on Presidents' Day... time for a bath.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

DoesNotCompute posted:

We love getting to experience the service and aftersales experience 9 days after buying a car with only 35k km on it.

In addition to this, HVAC blower bearing is on the way out, sunroof seals crooked and weird, brakes squeal at low speed, auto high beams throw errors when the car is immaculately clean saying cameras are obstructed... I hope the loaner is nice.

old cars til the day i day

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The steering unit failed on our ID.3 after 6 months. If it wasn't for the warranty it'd have cost about $3500 to fix. Big oof if out of warranty problem, and I'm pretty sure it'll end up being a common fault on these cars.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DoesNotCompute posted:

Give the keys back and tell them to gently caress off, that is way too much bork for an approved used vehicle. A car that terminally hosed at 35k isn't going to improve any quicker than the warranty will run out.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Theophany posted:

Give the keys back and tell them to gently caress off, that is way too much bork for an approved used vehicle. A car that terminally hosed at 35k isn't going to improve any quicker than the warranty will run out.

If only there were some mechanism by which to do that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

First time this thing has been on the road in probably 16 years.

Status: it loving rips. It all feels amazing. I barely fit but the seat has room to be moved back a few inches if i can find a way to modify it. It feels absolutely tiny. You can't see the hood or trunk. When 'berta trucks tailgate you it feels like they're parked in the back seat.

Hell yeah! While I have wrong wheel drive in mine and lack the pop ups on yours being Trueno-in-everything-but-name, I too have experienced the 4AG(Z)E rips, though I haven't been able to fully appreciate it yet as I still have to run through a minor legalization process. Just around the neighborhood for the moment:

DoesNotCompute posted:

:negative: That super sucks, but also adds to my yell-at-clouds-boomer-ideals on cars:

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Hell yeah! While I have wrong wheel drive in mine and lack the pop ups on yours being Trueno-in-everything-but-name, I too have experienced the 4AG(Z)E rips, though I haven't been able to fully appreciate it yet as I still have to run through a minor legalization process. Just around the neighborhood for the moment:

I don't think there's enough power to make the powered wheels matter(outside of snow), but it's loving hilarious winding it out to 7500 RPM twice and still not even be doing 100kph. It's such a great sounding little engine. You might have a hard time letting that one go.

When i say i barely fit, i mean barely. Hair rubbing the roof, can hit all the pedals and stuff comfortably, cannot operate the window winder with the door closed(the knob is tickling the back of my knee here). I also can't drive it with my steel toed shoes because my foot wedges between the dash and floor. I would imagine i look hilarious climbing out of this thing.

It is more or less the same height as the Lincoln.

I wrecked myself pretty hard getting it going, but i think at this point I'm just going to finish changing the fluids, give it a deeeeeeeep deep interior clean, find a way to mount the driver's seat against the rear seat and maybe even lower it an inch or two, and drive and enjoy it.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Old car crew!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 19, 2024

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

I don't think there's enough power to make the powered wheels matter(outside of snow), but it's loving hilarious winding it out to 7500 RPM twice and still not even be doing 100kph. It's such a great sounding little engine. You might have a hard time letting that one go.

wow how could you insult my power numbers like this

163 horse powers when new, baby! It's remarkably taken care of and in phenomenal shape so I'd assume most of them are still there, especially with 63,000 km. Your NA 4AGE has an 8500 redline, right? Mine's 7,500 on account of the super charger, or at least that's what I recall reading a bit ago. Also I am not even the least bit surprised you are having issues fitting comfortably in it. I'm the exact size and template for this AE92 and it's comfortably snug. If I were a bit wider the bolsters would be crushed under my body.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think 7500. 112 furious horsepower.

The bolsters are soft and my shoulders clear them. It's comfortable, but very much like wearing the car. The dream would be finding a porsche cayman in the pick-n-pull for the seats but that's....not gonna happen.

Still, i'll never fit in a Miata, S2000, or Exige. My options for ~2200lb cars is quite limited.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Powershift posted:

I think 7500. 112 furious horsepower.

The bolsters are soft and my shoulders clear them. It's comfortable, but very much like wearing the car. The dream would be finding a porsche cayman in the pick-n-pull for the seats but that's....not gonna happen.

Still, i'll never fit in a Miata, S2000, or Exige. My options for ~2200lb cars is quite limited.

S2000 is surprisingly roomy. I have one and an NC Miata (largest interior space), and the S2000 is significantly bigger.

It’s also a fat pig at 2700lb.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

Beginning of short stay in Maine:

Ending of short stay in Maine:

Looks rad. Sorry they salt the hell out of everything here.

Is that near Fort Popham? It looks vaguely familiar, but I haven't lived in Maine that long, so all the peninsulas look the same to me.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Deeters posted:

Looks rad. Sorry they salt the hell out of everything here.

Is that near Fort Popham? It looks vaguely familiar, but I haven't lived in Maine that long, so all the peninsulas look the same to me.

Top pic is Fort Popham parking lot, exactly! Second is from the Stonewall and Spears Hill Trail in Cumberland. On the way into the state I stopped at Allagash and had to park next to my unknown B9 buddy.

On the way out went to Cape Elizabeth. Beautiful. I know the salt all too well being from RI, can't get away from the stuff haha

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.

track day bro! posted:

I dunno how you managed to get anywhere with a car that is only able to turn left!

Quite handily, thank you.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DoesNotCompute posted:

If only there were some mechanism by which to do that.

Oh gently caress, my bad. I confused yours with the recent AMG E Class purchase, in the UK you have an enshrined right to return a car within 30 days of purchase if it's not fit for sale.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Theophany posted:

Oh gently caress, my bad. I confused yours with the recent AMG E Class purchase, in the UK you have an enshrined right to return a car within 30 days of purchase if it's not fit for sale.

Yeah we get Canada lucky about a lot of things but we're trash about lemon laws here.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

It’s the boy’s but, whatever.

‘07 Maxi-Miata

Tomorrow plans include CLEANING, replacing the center brake bulb, and removing all the weird random extraneous stereo equipment.

Also we are gonna see if my coilover wrenches fit these so we can raise it a bit.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Imperador do Brasil posted:

It’s the boy’s but, whatever.

‘07 Maxi-Miata

Tomorrow plans include CLEANING, replacing the center brake bulb, and removing all the weird random extraneous stereo equipment.

Also we are gonna see if my coilover wrenches fit these so we can raise it a bit.

:perfect:

Hell yes!

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
That's... an RX-8, no? Thought the Maxi-Miata might be the American term for it but googling it brings up nothing, so I guess I'm missing something.

Very nice car, though. I ran one for 5-6 years and loved it, thirst and all.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 21, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've never heard the term "maxi-miata" either :v:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The RX-8 and NC share suspension subframes and all related bits and bobs.
It's basically a longer wheelbase hardtop Miata.
Hence the term.

(RX-8 swaybars and brakes are a cheap upgrade for the NC)

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

My race engineer friends really like the RX8 and call it a performance bargain of the century for its setup.

I really want one for my gf's race car but it's hard enough to store my racecar all winter.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

And then you'd have to worry about storing backup engines too, so...

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

And then you'd have to worry about storing backup engines too, so...

You really don't. Disable the factory oil injection with a tune. Premix and never let the revs drop below 4000. It'll live forever.

Edit: See the Pro Formula Mazda series and how long the engines last. Multiple seasons with absolutely no issues.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Yeah I was using the fact that the NC Miata and the RX8 are basically the same chassis and suspension setup. Lots of interior bits and bobs as well.

I also have an NC.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah I was using the fact that the NC Miata and the RX8 are basically the same chassis and suspension setup. Lots of interior bits and bobs as well.

I also have an NC.

So you're stealing your son's swaybars and brakes, right?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

McTinkerson posted:

So you're stealing your son's swaybars and brakes, right?

Nah I’d have to swap hubs for the brakes also and I’m just not about that effort. I do wish I had the LSD though.

McTinkerson posted:

You really don't. Disable the factory oil injection with a tune. Premix and never let the revs drop below 4000. It'll live forever.

Edit: See the Pro Formula Mazda series and how long the engines last. Multiple seasons with absolutely no issues.

Yeah he’s already planning on doing premix and I’ve informed him of the old rotary adage “a redline a day keeps the mechanic away!”

I’ve had my share of RX7’s and always lived by that rule especially on the NA cars.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 21, 2024

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

McTinkerson posted:

Interesting. It always seems there are a ton of them with dead engines for sale.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Suburban Dad posted:

Interesting. It always seems there are a ton of them with dead engines for sale.

The general populace have no idea what a rotary is, never mind how to actually take care of one.

I am reminded of a certain goon who used to be a Mazda tech and had at least one story of someone using “special rotary diesel fuel” in their RX-8.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The general populace have no idea what a rotary is, never mind how to actually take care of one.

This is the real explanation. Doubly so for the automatic examples, those things were doomed from the start.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

First time this thing has been on the road in probably 16 years.

Status: it loving rips. It all feels amazing. I barely fit but the seat has room to be moved back a few inches if i can find a way to modify it. It feels absolutely tiny. You can't see the hood or trunk. When 'berta trucks tailgate you it feels like they're parked in the back seat.

Sweet!
Yeah, '80s economy cars are small. I can roll down the passenger window while belted in the driver's seat, and they feel like a soda can on wheels in terms of material between you and the bro-truck in the next lane.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

I also have an NC.

I didn't realise that but it makes sense. I had an NA MX-5, and my RX-8 was an upgrade on it in every way, minus the roof-down frolics, and the aftermarket stereo I had in the MX-5 versus the tepid BOSE in the RX-8. Oh and economy I guess.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Don't the RX-8's get like 14mpg or something hilariously bad for such a small amount of HP?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Don't the RX-8's get like 14mpg or something hilariously bad for such a small amount of HP?

I average about 12L/100km when driving it not like an absolute dong. Pure 100% highway I hit 10.5L/100km.
That's all with my 180whp 1308cc spinning Doritos. (Which Mazda claims is 231 crank HP.)

Edit: Too few pictures and too many words for this thread. Let's fix that.

Taken after a 450km trip and just rolled 201000km.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 23, 2024

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Ether Frenzy posted:

I think it's more early to mid-20s, which isn't amazing (my cars since are much more powerful and do around the same) but liveable. It's also pretty thirsty for oil. I used to keep a bottle in the boot just in case. However, while it was definitely more thirsty than usual, it wasn't as bad as I'd feared before buying it, either.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Car needs a bath but I got the carbon fiber V grille installed.

Also put in the CF illuminated door sills, CF rearview mirror caps, and the logo puddle lights.

All of which should of been factory, but so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

davecrazy posted:

Car needs a bath but I got the carbon fiber V grille installed.

Also put in the CF illuminated door sills, CF rearview mirror caps, and the logo puddle lights.

All of which should of been factory, but so be it.

Having flashbacks to the dealer quoting $600 to replace one of my illuminated door sills that stopped lighting up on my A4.