Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone should trick putin to pump all the russian gas to other countries who will just burn it

wait no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
You know, I hadn't considered it before, because the entire idea of an amphibious landing and invasion of Kaliningrad is insane, but I thought about it for a while. And you know, I think if Ukraine were to seize Kaliningrad from the sea, that would be one of the maybe three things that would trigger a Russian nuclear response lol. It's just an utterly baffling idea, but the strategic military importance of Kaliningrad would indeed merit a nuclear response escalation according to currently adopted Russian doctrinal policy on release of nuclear weapons for tactical use. Because of its status as a strategic military base masquerading as an oblast that Russia relies on for force projection onto the continent and Baltics, it would be equivalent to sinking one or several US aircraft carrier groups.

What a strange scenario lol

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 22, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

You know, I hadn't considered it before, because the entire idea of an amphibious landing and invasion of Kaliningrad is insane, but I thought about it for a while. And you know, I think if Ukraine were to seize Kaliningrad from the sea, that would be one of the maybe three things that would trigger a Russian nuclear response lol. It's just an utterly baffling idea, but the strategic military importance of Kaliningrad would indeed merit a nuclear response escalation according to currently adopted Russian doctrinal policy on release of nuclear weapons for tactical use. Because of its status as a strategic military base masquerading as an oblast that Russia relies on for force projection onto the continent and Baltics, it would be equivalent to sinking one or several US aircraft carrier groups.

This is exactly why Královec must be free.

Seizing the whole thing might be too much of a pain in the rear end, but I think we should do a blockade, at the very least.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

It is good when invaders can't hurt anyone anymore. Better when they decide to not be invaders on their own. And if the invaded can offer motivation for defecting from the murderhorde, great.

:haibrower:

Burns
May 10, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

This is exactly why Královec must be free.

Seizing the whole thing might be too much of a pain in the rear end, but I think we should do a blockade, at the very least.

I disagree. The best option imo is to sponsor and support a sepratist movement there. Give Russia a taste of its own.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I really don't think Kaliningrad has any kind of separatist movement.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wouldn't they be much richer if they just held on to all that import money instead of sending it to moscow?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

I really don't think Kaliningrad has any kind of separatist movement.

Neither did Ukraine and yet

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Neither did Ukraine and yet

Nobody lives in Kaliningrad except military personnel basically so if you want to go with a separatist uprising plot you'd probably just have better luck going all-in on whatever that brigade of free russian volunteers is and let them go hog wild through southern Russia raiding infrastructure and logistics targets. Much more useful benefit, same style of narrative, a lot cheaper

Also,

Burns posted:

I disagree. The best option imo is to sponsor and support a sepratist movement there. Give Russia a taste of its own.

Russia has historically been quite good and effective at colonizing and the resulting ethnic cleansings that accompanied it. I don't believe there's a single oblast where an ethnic minority is the majority of the population. Russia has loved to use strategic internal deportations and such to move people around (see: Crimean Tatars!) in order to keep ethnic minorities fragmented enough to not be a threat to the Russian majority. Straight up, there's no real base to start from in terms of sponsoring/supporting separatist movements. Ukraine's separatists worked because there was a foundation of baseline pro-Russian support in the Ukrainian south and east that made it possible, if the whole country had the attitude as the Lviv/northern Ukraine area, Girkin wouldn't have been able to pull off the DPR/LPR stunt. Crimea worked for the same reason; the population there was always the region with least support for Ukraine/Ukrainian identity. That part comes from a deep and complicated relationship that I don't feel like diving into in this post but the story of the Crimean Tatars and Cossacks is a very wild one over the centuries.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 22, 2024

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

HonorableTB posted:

Still astounded that the two dudes in the helicopter, when faced with the full scope of what had just happened and that the helicopter was now in Ukraine, surrounded by Ukrainian military units, with everyone including their pilot and the Ukrainians on the ground asking them to surrender, did not accept and instead tried to fight

Their refusal to surrender was not in vain; later a guy with a brooding avatar on the SomethingAwful dot com forums avenged their deaths with a totally sick three-post burn that fell on completely deaf ears.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
You just know that Putin is gonna be like Kissinger, and Cheney, and Trump in that he's a person whose hate sustains him, and who has access to the best medical care, and so he is going to live for a loving century.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

It is good when invaders can't hurt anyone anymore. Better when they decide to not be invaders on their own. And if the invaded can offer motivation for defecting from the murderhorde, great.

No but you see war good

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

HonorableTB posted:

Nobody lives in Kaliningrad except military personnel

I think the Russian demographic that has the most incentive to escape (by a large margin) is their military personnel

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Alan Smithee posted:

No but you see war good

да, товарищ

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I'm tired of all these tsar wars

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Vaginaface posted:

I think the Russian demographic that has the most incentive to escape (by a large margin) is their military personnel

This is fair.

Also, I'll not be posting in this thread until further notice because it does not do me very much good mental health wise and eventually it will probably get me perma'd so instead, I'd rather not have that happen and will instead be posting about non politics/war related things, because those are better for me than this subject! Two years of exposure to this is enough I think :)

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

HonorableTB posted:

There's an upcoming RTS called Broken Arrow and its demo mission is an amphibious invasion of Kaliningrad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHO4ILCCzw0

If anyone wants something that plays between World in Conflict and the Wargame series, give it a look. Its betas have been fun.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

kind of weird to be chatting about fun war games in the war crimes thread

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

has anything from kal even been deployed

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TrashMammal posted:

War thunder keeps coming up tho

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

TrashMammal posted:

Yeah, fair. Not a great idea to post that.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Tunicate posted:

War thunder keeps coming up tho

that’s valuable intel

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Alan Smithee posted:

has anything from kal even been deployed

Yes, the 11th Army Corps in late '22.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

Also, I'll not be posting in this thread until further notice because it does not do me very much good mental health wise and eventually it will probably get me perma'd so instead, I'd rather not have that happen and will instead be posting about non politics/war related things, because those are better for me than this subject! Two years of exposure to this is enough I think :)

Take care man. :thumbsup:

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Farewell. :tipshat:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's interesting to discover such extremely specific circumstances in which tankies suddenly (pretend to) care about Russian lives.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
For Putin so loved Russian lives, that he gave the second strongest army,
that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting fishbrick.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Vichnaya Fishbrick

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Avirosb posted:

For Putin so loved Russian lives, that he gave the second strongest army,
that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting fishbrick.

Everlasting Fishbricks (that get taken away 5 minutes after the photoshoot)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

United24 just published a video on Ukrainian pilots and ground crew training on the F16 in Denmark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyP_eizMqi0

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

HonorableTB posted:

This is fair.

take care and see you elsewhere

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://x.com/timesofindia/status/1760484558913319020?s=20

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:dumbrim:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

HonorableTB posted:

This is fair.

Take care and see you elsethread!

I think this stage of the war is mentally exhausting as well, where the bodies stack up without much front line movement, and the powers that be seem pretty content with this, so long as it keeps the adversarial nation bogged up in the grind. So nothing much to post about, only misery.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

quote:

They were allegedly misled into taking up 'security personnel/helper' jobs in Russia by a man from Maharashtra, who runs a YouTube channel. A vlogger exposed the fraud being perpetrated on gullible youth.
This is all kinds of yikes. There's a lot of private work during wars sure, but this is straight up human trafficking.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

WARNING: Transnistria May Organize a Referendum on Annexation to Russia to Support Russian Hybrid Operation Against Moldova
Feb 22, 2024 - ISW Press

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/warning-transnistria-may-organize-referendum-annexation-russia-support-russian-hybrid

I guess Putin told his puppets and useful idiots in Transnistria to start earning their pay, and create another front in Moldova regardless of if Russia can support them or not.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Der Kyhe posted:

WARNING: Transnistria May Organize a Referendum on Annexation to Russia to Support Russian Hybrid Operation Against Moldova
Feb 22, 2024 - ISW Press

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/warning-transnistria-may-organize-referendum-annexation-russia-support-russian-hybrid

I guess Putin told his puppets and useful idiots in Transnistria to start earning their pay, and create another front in Moldova regardless of if Russia can support them or not.

I'd think Transnistria is more useful as a threat than as an actual participant. They'd probably get rolled pretty quickly, with Russia losing leverage over both Ukraine and Moldova.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Der Kyhe posted:

Feb 22, 2024 - ISW Press

A couple direct hits on Cobasna and it won't matter what they want to do or not, honestly

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

wit posted:

This is all kinds of yikes. There's a lot of private work during wars sure, but this is straight up human trafficking.

I feel really bad for the mercenaries that were just trying to get paid off other people's suffering.

No wait, what's the other thing?

gently caress'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

poor waif posted:

I'd think Transnistria is more useful as a threat than as an actual participant. They'd probably get rolled pretty quickly, with Russia losing leverage over both Ukraine and Moldova.

yeah im assuming it's just standard putin's puppet theatre fare and nothing will come of it, but if russia actually officially declared to annex transnistria it would certainly add some interesting dynamics to the discussions about moldovan unification with romania, which has already seen an uptick since putin invaded ukraine