Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Drop pod corpses onto a siege raid to give them all lung rot and kill them next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Kanos posted:

Diseases being a more common and important part of gameplay would be a lot more palatable if disease prevention was a bit more dynamic. Penoxycycline sucks rear end; it only prevents malaria, plague, and sleeping sickness, and of those three only plague is actually really dangerous. It does nothing against the most common disease(infection) or the most long-lasting diseases(parasites and mechanites) and costs a nonrenewable resource(neutroamine) to make when that nonrenewable resource is also used in large quantities to make significantly more powerful and useful items(go-juice and wake up).

If you wanted to give diseases a larger role you'd need to seriously rethink disease prevention and treatment, I think.

Even if you could take preventative measures, it'd be kinda dull if it was just "put people on a schedule to take this drug every X days". Environmental factors, cleanliness and transmission could be interesting areas though.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Infections are totally fine - It's an additional risk for getting shot and rewards fast treatment. And personally I think random diseases that have a real chance of killing people is also fine since it causes you to truly value your good doctor colonists - but I can see YMMV on that point.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't mind the vanilla version of Infestation at all but this is another really great idea.
e: give this its own terrain type very unfavorable to humans but maybe possible to remediate to clean terrain, maybe pollution layered on top of the original base terrain but ideally something much nastier

Maybe "beaver musk" is an alternative kind of "pollution" that causes lovely trees to spawn and grow rapidly. This is great for beavers and their job, but makes getting around a huge pain in the rear end. These crapass scrubtrees only give a handfull of wood when fully grown but otherwise operate as normal trees. Maybe the more wood they slam into their nest the more bigger it gets and more effectively it floods the map when rain happens or if it gets access to flowing water? Some ideologies like the stank of the musk? Maybe it can give beaver fever which is sort of like one of those diseases which is maybe not great but not super deadly? Easily prevented by penoxycycline and easily treated even by herbs?

Idk getting kind of complicated. If there's more than one kind of pollution what happens if you put the crap bags around beavers? Maybe beavers should have smell clouds like corpse stink and that's what makes the trees happen?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

VideoWitch posted:

For some reason every so often I'll get traders who just don't leave and just have mental breakdowns and starve to death and I have no idea why. I installed a mod that lets me tell traders to leave but that doesn't even work!

You say that like you've never sent out a pyromaniac on a "caravan" that doesn't have enough food for some mysterious reason.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
merciless and brutal, i hate it.

I have never done this and in fact have had several colonies with multiple pyromaniacs living in them without major problems (maybe pack up and move to a desert lol). Pyros are really just "we are the stone tile people who love stone everything and only use beautiful rocks and devilstrand and live in what's basically Petra." Compartmentalize as much as you can. The only major issue is if you have majorly many colonists who have pyromania, or otherwise can't fight fires, or some inability to use firefoam on critical zones.

I do usually play extreme weather but make it a point to not boot anyone who has seemingly no chance of survival unless they absolutely insist on not staying or are a permanently hostile faction. Some of my best characters have been absolutely lovely gross goblins everyone else hated with maybe 1 skill, if that. Most recently I had someone super lovely because her arm got blasted off.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

VideoWitch posted:

For some reason every so often I'll get traders who just don't leave and just have mental breakdowns and starve to death and I have no idea why. I installed a mod that lets me tell traders to leave but that doesn't even work!

What is your mod list? There's a few mods that mess with pathfinding and can lead to pathing locks that do this. Locks, Locks 2, Rim of Madness Vampires, SoS2, Perfect Pathfinding, Biomes Islands and RIMMSqol A* Pathfinding in particular can result in pawn locks.

Cleaning Area can have some really weird pathfinding interactions too with some of the mods above, but it isn't harmful in and of itself.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

VideoWitch posted:

Christ why are moisture pumps are the slowest things in existence
Yeah, it's terrible.

If you have a ton of resources and just want to like make a stone wall through a swamp or something you can build a bridge, put the moisture pump on top of it, and that one particular tile is instantly dry. There should be dirt under there when you unbuild the pump and bridge. Of course you have to build a new moisture pump for every tile you want to dry out this way, so if you're just clearing out a lot of land for growing or something like that you're probably going to want to wait it out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I have never done this and in fact have had several colonies with multiple pyromaniacs living in them without major problems (maybe pack up and move to a desert lol). Pyros are really just "we are the stone tile people who love stone everything and only use beautiful rocks and devilstrand and live in what's basically Petra." Compartmentalize as much as you can. The only major issue is if you have majorly many colonists who have pyromania, or otherwise can't fight fires, or some inability to use firefoam on critical zones.

I do usually play extreme weather but make it a point to not boot anyone who has seemingly no chance of survival unless they absolutely insist on not staying or are a permanently hostile faction. Some of my best characters have been absolutely lovely gross goblins everyone else hated with maybe 1 skill, if that. Most recently I had someone super lovely because her arm got blasted off.

You don't have to save/recruit a pyromaniac, but if you unfortunately do, then they need to be stuck in the block factory and transform every building into a non-flammable stone version, with firefoam poppers on top of your warehouses.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Warehouse and workshop are the two big rooms you can’t fully fireproof, followed to a lesser extent by rec/dining/throne rooms since dining and easy chairs both don’t have non-flammable options the same way workbenches don’t.

I make an effort for every freezer, everything fireproof but the trade beacons and the goddamn food, just so I don’t have to rebuild and re-set permissions on every block of shelving in the event fire somehow gets in there (pretty much only a Zzzzt)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
There are mods that add in infection vectors, like man hunting mosquitoes which can inflict malaria, and others that add in a germ system which basically means that diseased pawns spread disease specific germs which mechanically functions/spreads like filth and pawns which walk over said filth have a chance of catching said disease.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've never had a big problem with fire or pyromaniacs, but I always address both right away. Once my early wooden building caught a zzzt from the first battery I built and all my pawns were on the far side of the map and that one got pretty dangerous, but still everyone working on putting out the fire was enough to get it under control.

Whenever a pyromaniac gets started, I just recruit a nearby pawn and have them follow the guy around.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I mean, there are other ways, like volunteering them to be the frontline fighter for the next raid, or the designated decoy. And then just not treating the wounds so they develop an infection and oh no we don't have enough medicine for some weird reason.

Or lock them in a stone room with a wooden interior and just wait. Add chemfuel if you want it to be funny.

Of course, the best case scenario is to just ripscan them and make a mech out of their consciousness. Then process the body into gourmet "sushi" and let your colonists offset any mood penalties with the delicious meals.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Maybe I don't build with wood enough but I have only very rarely found pyros to be a real problem. Almost always they just run around setting tiny fires that someone baps out in one hit and it's just a minor drain on work hours.

My least favorite break is corpse obsession, mostly because when they're done, nobody ever seems to have the slightest interest in reinterring the deceased and I always have to find their empty sarcophagus/grave and order it be done manually.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

My favorite mental breaks are sad wander or hide in room. In rimworld it is the same

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Batteries suck. Sometimes I'll get a zzt of just 3 or 4 batteries, and usually its annoying but not a problem. Until I had a long winter and had to connect some of my sun lamp farms to the main power grid. Usually each sun lamp has 2 solar panels and 2 batteries, but with a volcanic winter combined with actual winter, solar panels don't do a lot and can barely power the sun lamps and the heaters keep on going off. So everything gets plugged into the main power. So I get a zzt in a field, because the 1 unit of conduit that the sunlamp connects to (why can't sunlamps connect to a wire just a little bit further away?). And the enclosed field just turns into a fusion reactor. Like almost instantly the temp inside gets up to 900 degrees. The first few pawns to try to put it out get horribly burned. I get some psycasters to drop water in there but a bunch more people have to get burned to put out the fires. Luckily I still used wood doors so that burned out and I didn't have to send anyone in there to open it.

My favorite mental break is when someone goes to punch a pile of mortar shells until they die. Like, I get it, your life sucks and everyone hates you because your nose got shot off rescuing someone and now they're disgusted by you.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I've had pyros in normal colonies and it wasn't a mega problem, but it was only the 1 pawn? Dunno about all this grotesque war crimes business

E:

Ms Adequate posted:

Maybe I don't build with wood enough but I have only very rarely found pyros to be a real problem. Almost always they just run around setting tiny fires that someone baps out in one hit and it's just a minor drain on work hours.

Literally this idgi

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Pyros are just another test of how fireproof your colony is - and past the very early game, it should be almost completely so. They're mostly just funny to me since their terrible firestarting spree is often something like "walk halfway across the map and light a few tiles of ground conduit on fire".

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like the look of wood floors, wood furniture, and carpet, unfortunately.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hate pyros the same reason I hate gourmands and drug fascinated pawns: Randomly having mental breaks. Get your rear end back to work :mad:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

A Moose posted:

My favorite mental break is when someone goes to punch a pile of mortar shells until they die. Like, I get it, your life sucks and everyone hates you because your nose got shot off rescuing someone and now they're disgusted by you.

I used to feel that way, but this last run all my pawns got together and decided that the designated sad wandering area is the cave just outside of the walls, and the designated sad wandering time is when there's a raid. I've had to arrest a few pawns now to get them inside and save their lives.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The main problem with pyros isn't the break itself per se but the fact that it's one of the worst you can have during those inevitable crises after a big raid while half the colony is down and everyone is miserable and your attention is split and pawns are at the largest risk of mental breaks. No matter how fireproof your base is you're still going to have food in your freezer and cloth and steel in your stockpile and if you can't stop the sparks quickly you will lose everything, but pulling pawns away to deal with it during that sort of event means risking the deaths of other pawns from blood loss or infection. All of the forced break traits are obnoxious and bad but a gourmand on a food binge mid-fight or a druggie giving themselves brain damage with yayo can't spiral out of control in the same way. It's that "and then the bad day suddenly becomes catastrophic" factor that gives pyromanic pawns such a horrible and deserved reputation.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I’ve seen a pyromaniac ignite a stack of mortar shells, the fire foam popper douse it, and then my janitor immediately run over and clean off the mortar shells just in time for the pyromaniac to ignite them again

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
You only need to have one catastrophe from an unsupervised pyromaniac in order to develop a permanent fixation on mitigating the risk they pose, even if other permanent shifts in your Rimworld approach undertaken since then have left you always building towards mostly-fireproof settlements.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

But they get so happy when they're wielding Molotovs or incendiary launchers

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just arrest them? That will instantly end their break/binge/spree and you can immediately release them and you have the pawn fully functional again. Sure they will be pissed about the arrest (and can resist it, if the arresting pawn has poo poo social), but if you are in the middle of a crisis it's an efficient solution. You don't even need to carry them to jail, just arrest them and then cancel, it can be done in like 1 second.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I try to treat Rimworld pawns the same way I would expect them to be treated in real life, which is to say, a person who gets their jollies by setting on fire the equipment and supplies their companions need to survive should either be immediately shot in the head or tied up and left for the hyenas :colbert:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I think I have like 3000 hours in rimworld, and have summarily executed maybe 6 pawns.

I think 3 were pyros.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I feel like Rimworld players are way too scared of fire in general. Pyros are fine. Wooden floors are fine. Zzt events are a complete non issue. I don't even have firefoam poppers. I just have my guys instantly fight the fire.

Fires can be pretty scary and can completely destroy your base when they're big. But they are incredibly easy to deal with when they are small.

You just draft anyone nearby and stand them next to the fire and it's done. If that's too much micro you can usually just draft and undraft all your pawns and their number one job priority- firefighting- will kick in and they'll take care of it nearly instantly.

The only time I'd actually be worried about fires is some remote part of your base, like a mining drill shed or something. And even then if it's so remote that no one can put out the fire, who really cares if it burns down?

Even mortar shells or chemfuel- if a pyro is on a rampage just draft someone to stand next to the explosive stuff and it'll instantly be put out. A focused rage is way more dangerous than a pyro. A pyro just gets a free catharsis for a little bit of micro.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yeah it’s fine until your pawns can’t get there in time, for sure.

After that you learn how to build to limit damage!

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
If it's getting into mid/late game I always try to set up my warehouses/fridges so that no single fire can destroy everything of value. Sacrifice a bit of efficiency for redundancy

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Telsa Cola posted:

I think I have like 3000 hours in rimworld, and have summarily executed maybe 6 pawns.

I think 3 were pyros.

It'd probably be awful for the fun aspect of the game but I always wanted loyal pawns to be criminals. Like they periodically destroy things or attack people even if their mood is high, maybe do a murder or give your silver to opposing factions. I think that'd require more AI than Tynan could ever think to program but it would make executions worth something outside of the RP aspect.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Asimo posted:

The main problem with pyros isn't the break itself per se but the fact that it's one of the worst you can have during those inevitable crises after a big raid while half the colony is down and everyone is miserable and your attention is split and pawns are at the largest risk of mental breaks. No matter how fireproof your base is you're still going to have food in your freezer and cloth and steel in your stockpile and if you can't stop the sparks quickly you will lose everything, but pulling pawns away to deal with it during that sort of event means risking the deaths of other pawns from blood loss or infection. All of the forced break traits are obnoxious and bad but a gourmand on a food binge mid-fight or a druggie giving themselves brain damage with yayo can't spiral out of control in the same way. It's that "and then the bad day suddenly becomes catastrophic" factor that gives pyromanic pawns such a horrible and deserved reputation.

It's 100% this. Dealing with pyromaniacs in a vacuum is completely trivial - you should be building mostly out of fireproof materials anyway, and a pyromaniac going on a spree while everyone's just puttering around is just a minor waste of time instead of something dangerous. You can play a colony from crashlanding to ship escape with a pyromaniac and never have it be a big problem.

The problem is if you do end up having that pyromaniac go on a spree when times are tough it can lead to deaths or even the end of your colony. It's not a huge chance, but it is a chance that does exist. I'll absolutely recruit pyromaniacs when I desperately need hands to do stuff but I won't keep them around long term for this reason unless they're otherwise an extremely good pawn.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

One of the expanded traits mods has a kleptomaniac trait that I rolled my eyes at because, "doesn't matter, they can't keep it if I yank it off them" and then I noticed they'd occasionally visit the guests we had via Hospitality and steal poo poo from them and the guest's faction started getting mad at us.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

One of the expanded traits mods has a kleptomaniac trait that I rolled my eyes at because, "doesn't matter, they can't keep it if I yank it off them" and then I noticed they'd occasionally visit the guests we had via Hospitality and steal poo poo from them and the guest's faction started getting mad at us.

lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah those two mods synergize really nicely lol

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

A jargogle posted:

Infections are totally fine - It's an additional risk for getting shot and rewards fast treatment. And personally I think random diseases that have a real chance of killing people is also fine since it causes you to truly value your good doctor colonists - but I can see YMMV on that point.

Random diseases are wack. I remember I was doing a solo mechator run, just finished setting up the base and my lone colonist was struck by plague, like 3 days into the run. He did not survive.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
and that sucks, yeah - but my attitude would be that this is exactly why doctors are valued. Without the diseases, you can get by easily with a single pawn on medical 4-5 and herbal meds. I must admit that mod mentioned above that gives more logical mechanics to disease transmission does sound tempting though. But I wouldn't want it to be possible to nullify it completely.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

A jargogle posted:

and that sucks, yeah - but my attitude would be that this is exactly why doctors are valued. Without the diseases, you can get by easily with a single pawn on medical 4-5 and herbal meds. I must admit that mod mentioned above that gives more logical mechanics to disease transmission does sound tempting though. But I wouldn't want it to be possible to nullify it completely.

you can get by, sure, but you aren't going to be doing a lot of chrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

It is kinda funny that people are like "pyros aren't that bad, you just have to plan your entire base layout based around them starting fires in random places at random times". Like they can't ever be alone because if it takes too long for someone to go arrest them they can do more damage. They can't be assigned to do anything important, in case they randomly stop doing it to go start fires, thus disabling 2 pawns (themselves and whoever has to go arrest them/repair the damage they cause). Like I would never trust a pyro to be a doctor. There will be times when you don't have 2 pawns to spare. Even if everything in your base is fireproof, your food and stockpiles aren't. They can just go light that bionic spine on fire and you better be able to go put it out quick.