Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

lol this grenade launcher is a menace

https://i.imgur.com/3d4Wj3S.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I dunno if it’s just because of the influx of new players but increasingly, compared to launch, there’s been players killing each other for the samples they have and seemingly thinking they aren’t shared. I’ve seen players get mad someone picked up their dropped samples after they’ve died or kill everyone at extract to take the samples they had and solo extract. I’ve even had hosts kick everyone on extract.

Coupled with that is an increase of new players killing higher level player for their gear or stealing gear from drops no matter what it is. I had a new player rush over and take the reload pack for my recoiless rifle and not use it to reload me. When I pointed out I needed it, they told me they weren’t giving it up and to just call down another one :psyduck: thinking I might stick only with playing friends and no longer chancing pubbie quick play

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I like to tell new players they're not shared just to be mean

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I often just grab people's stuff if it's there, in the situation where they're far away or I'm running for my life. I had someone grab my stuff while we were fleeing some swarm of baddies. They dropped my shield for me later but said they wanted to keep the railgun. I hadn't asked, so whatever. A lot of games end with a whole lot of drop markers all over the map anyway

In the first game, I'd get annoyed and sometimes kill someone if they were dragging the screen away from my dropped stuff. But that's just unnecessary and rude

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
the real question is are super credit pickups shared?? it's the only thing that doesn't show up with an amount picked up

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

What's the best thing to spend early samples on? I feel I'm getting them the slowest of any currency.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
hell i mean i just picked up like 6 war medals on easy defense, so 10 in total with rewards

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I've honestly had it the way around. I've had my support weapon or backpack come off cooldown so I drop a second one for my teammates, especially when they don't have anything equipped, only to find that they absolutely refuse to pick it up.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Mainwaring posted:

What's the best thing to spend early samples on? I feel I'm getting them the slowest of any currency.

the one that gives your crew meth

also come to easy defense, especially the beach map, you'll be rich. my record is 14 common samples in 10 minutes

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Booty Pageant posted:

the real question is are super credit pickups shared?? it's the only thing that doesn't show up with an amount picked up

Yes, they definitely are, I got 30 in my last mission and I didn't touch any of the piles myself

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Fangz posted:

I've honestly had it the way around. I've had my support weapon or backpack come off cooldown so I drop a second one for my teammates, especially when they don't have anything equipped, only to find that they absolutely refuse to pick it up.

The only time someone has picked up one my support drops while I still have mine is if I ping it, which is how I try to signal "this poo poo is for anybody, go nuts."

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I dunno if it’s just because of the influx of new players but increasingly, compared to launch, there’s been players killing each other for the samples they have and seemingly thinking they aren’t shared. I’ve seen players get mad someone picked up their dropped samples after they’ve died or kill everyone at extract to take the samples they had and solo extract. I’ve even had hosts kick everyone on extract.

Coupled with that is an increase of new players killing higher level player for their gear or stealing gear from drops no matter what it is. I had a new player rush over and take the reload pack for my recoiless rifle and not use it to reload me. When I pointed out I needed it, they told me they weren’t giving it up and to just call down another one :psyduck: thinking I might stick only with playing friends and no longer chancing pubbie quick play

Are you playing on lower difficulties by chance? A common thread in coop games including this one is that higher difficulties ironically become somewhat easier because the chance of running into competent teammates is higher. DRG, tide, etc all of them have shitters that are "stuck" on the lower difficulties but play like they're hot poo poo and act like asses to newbies who the difficulty is meant for and wil rage out for the least. You go up to difficulties that are more punishing and people are a lot more chill

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

veni veni veni posted:

I really like the bots but everyone I play with hates them. It's annoying playing bugs 80% of the time. the bugs are the best, but variety is so much better. We played suicide mission bots all night and I was having a blast while everyone else was complaining about it being too hard even though we completed every single mission just fine idgi.

Highest I’ve played at this point is medium which for me and the people I’ve played with is pretty hard lol

But it’s been hard in a very fun way. Chaotic, frustrating but cool.

Oh here’s a thing from my games yesterday I didn’t love. During a long mission we had like 15-20 mins left and I moved toward a side mission that everyone missed to pick up some stuff if possible

Everyone went to the evac and just started it lol. Idk give me a dang second lol

It sucked because I was grabbing some stuff from those little dropship hatch things but I couldn’t pick it up because the timer started and I was pretty far

But idk if they knew. I didn’t know about the extra missions until I played with someone on silent and I followed them and we just did them with no mic communication and it owned. Then we saluted each other at the end of it

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 23, 2024

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The only time I've ever kicked anyone was a railgun shield guy who left me hanging for 40 consecutive seconds. He probably thought I wanted his lovely gear but I just wanted some goddamn human contact, Doug.

If you don't rock and stone you ain't coming home.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I want the FFVII super-slow high five

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Give me two emote slots so I can still salute as the ICBM launches while also being able to hug my bros/do the 'come at me' pose at the bugs :argh:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ugh had an annoying failure cascade last night on a 7. 3 of us got chased out of bounds and lost our gear, and had to fight at one point five Chargere at once. Really wish theyd just up their vulnerability to rear end damage.

Got two of the awesome 500kg vs Bile Titan direct hits tho! Then server crashed lol

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The only time I've ever kicked anyone was a railgun shield guy who left me hanging for 40 consecutive seconds. He probably thought I wanted his lovely gear but I just wanted some goddamn human contact, Doug.

If you don't rock and stone you ain't coming home.

I was trying to give out hugs for the boys in a public game and one bro kept swooping in and taking them all. Kicked him. No hug hogs on my ship thank you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Nothing hits quite like Malevelon Creek 8 when one powerful goon boards the pelican with 5 super uranium as you sacrifice yourself to a horde of robots for democracy.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I've been thinking about dropping the 80 medals on the JAR-5 because it looks cool as hell but I'm struggling to think of a decent loadout to complement it.

I kind of want to run it with a Stalwart so I've got trash clear and medium armour covered but then what do I do about heavy armour? I could take the railgun instead but that just fills the same niche as the JAR-5 but better.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I've been thinking about dropping the 80 medals on the JAR-5 because it looks cool as hell but I'm struggling to think of a decent loadout to complement it.

Nothing but huge explosions is what I use with it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dominator is super fun to use, but yeah you need some trash clear. Honestly though, proactive cluster bomb use and +2 grenade armor with impacts can get the job done, so long as other people have some better trash clear.

Dandywalken posted:

Ugh had an annoying failure cascade last night on a 7. 3 of us got chased out of bounds and lost our gear, and had to fight at one point five Chargere at once. Really wish theyd just up their vulnerability to rear end damage.

Got two of the awesome 500kg vs Bile Titan direct hits tho! Then server crashed lol

chargers have a massive vulnerability to helldiver pods, its fine!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I kind of want to run it with a Stalwart so I've got trash clear and medium armour covered but then what do I do about heavy armour? I could take the railgun instead but that just fills the same niche as the JAR-5 but better.

The machine pistol sidearm is surprisingly effective at trash clearing, especially if you use it in tandem with some impact nades.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fishstick posted:

The machine pistol sidearm is surprisingly effective at trash clearing, especially if you use it in tandem with some impact nades.

Yep this is what I do. You can kill medium bugs/bots very easily then hose down the trash or toss grenades.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fangz posted:

It feels like a dick move to take someone's stuff so in my experience people don't take drops, even off corpses. Imo it comes down to communication; they will take it if you tell them it's okay.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I've been tempted to get the impact grenades but I clear a lot of nests in person, is that gonna be more difficult if I can't aim for that upper lip and bounce it in?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I've been tempted to get the impact grenades but I clear a lot of nests in person, is that gonna be more difficult if I can't aim for that upper lip and bounce it in?

Just throw it in there flat and the nest will blow up. It takes a mission or two to get right but it's no harder for nests (it is hard for bot factories though).

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I've had no problems hitting bug holes with impacts.

Bot factories, on the other hand, are right fuckers. Carry an orbital or eagle that can bust those if you fight the bots and want to use impacts.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bug holes and factories are definitely harder to nail the nade throw with the impact in my experience because you can't bank it off anything so it has to be right in there. It isn't too hard to get used to though and I think the impact grenade is great for normal use too so it's worth it imo.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

idiotsavant posted:

it ends up working a little differently than you're thinking - the downtime isn't the issue, it's that the downtime never starts until you either use up all 15 of your various eagle charges, or until you manually send it in to refill. So if you use your 500kg and airstrikes but still have 3-4 clusters and a few strafes left you're basically extending the time you don't have 500kg/air strikes. I think 3 Eagle and a support weapon is about as far as I'd push it because you need something to kill stuff during the 2:30 the Eagle takes to rearm, but honestly I think 2 Eagle strats, or even 1 Eagle 1 Orbital is probably better.

500kg bomb, eagle cluster bomb, eagle bombing run, a jetpack, and a dream!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You can take out bug holes with a surprising number of things, seemingly anything with decent AOE. Even the autocannon works.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

JBP posted:

Just throw it in there flat and the nest will blow up. It takes a mission or two to get right but it's no harder for nests (it is hard for bot factories though).

Protip, the open doors on bot factories work too - you don't specifically have to hit em in the vents. Wait for an idiot robot to come check out the noise and then toss the impact nade inside the front door. Made dealing with single factories a lot easier when using impact nades personally

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nice I didn't know that about the doors!

CuddleCryptid posted:

You can take out bug holes with a surprising number of things, seemingly anything with decent AOE. Even the autocannon works.

Bot factories with the AC are super easy. Run around the perimeter and shoot the top of the vent intakes, they bank right in there.

Also discovered the JAR will kill spore towers if you shoot them a few times. Also works from an extraordinary range.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fishstick posted:

Wait for an idiot robot to come check out the noise and then toss the impact nade inside the front door. Made dealing with single factories a lot easier when using impact nades personally

I've seen this mentioned before but never was able to get it working with an autocannon, at least. Do you have to use grenades?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Is the Tesla Tower any good? It seems like it'd be great for closing off a direction from bugs, but I only ever see people taking gatling/mg turrets instead.

Fishstick posted:

Protip, the open doors on bot factories work too - you don't specifically have to hit em in the vents. Wait for an idiot robot to come check out the noise and then toss the impact nade inside the front door. Made dealing with single factories a lot easier when using impact nades personally

:aaaaa:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Icedude posted:

Is the Tesla Tower any good? It seems like it'd be great for closing off a direction from bugs, but I only ever see people taking gatling/mg turrets instead.

:aaaaa:

If it was a constant zap it would be great, but from what Ive seen its not super reliable

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

tesla tower seems decent, but the bit about being safe while prone near it is a dirty liar by lying liars.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Fangz posted:

Yeah usually this happens to me as well. Pinging the weapon tends to get the message across though.

Dandywalken posted:

If it was a constant zap it would be great, but from what Ive seen its not super reliable
When I last saw someone deploy one it zapped through a bug horde all the way back to us, killing a teammate lol

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

my experience with the tesla tower was that it was a revolutionary tool for dealing with bot hordes followed by the realization that it's a giant bug zapper for fellow helldivers, they can't stay away. I love throwing out lil comments even when nobody else is using voice chat - they can still hear me because people will react or use the in game chirp - and no matter how hard I telegraph the tesla tower and how to stay safe, it deploys and someone gets zapped lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Man, some good games today, but pubbies are really bad at doing the drat mission. At least the ones today responded to instructions, it was glorious, we got a few perfect missions because they were willing to listen to basic suggestions. ("press the buttons", "run!", "go to evac and call shuttle while I destroy last two outposts" and "get the samples!". It was greatly appreciated)