Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Fool posted:

Passwords are objectively bad

Only if they make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

We have some garbage called TruU and I hate it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Silly Newbie posted:

I'm exclusively stateside and none of that applies.
That being said, if someone checks the "no" box they just don't push the button on their computers for "use biometrics" and instead use a PIN, which is both in the text and also how we do it.
I wasn't even talking about Windows Hello when talking about passwordless, I was talking about phone sign on, which collects no personal information and just uses the MS Authenticator.

Edit - just saw that the original post specified fingerprint/face when they said passwordless, missed that the first time. It's handy but I absolutely would not require it and it's not what I was talking about.
Incorrect! GDPR applies to EU citizens, not EU territories!

It's also worth pointing out that "PIN" in current MS-speak is just "password". I have no idea why they decided to do that, but they have. What you are actually proposing is Good and Proper and I salute you.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Arquinsiel posted:

It's also worth pointing out that "PIN" in current MS-speak is just "password". I have no idea why they decided to do that, but they have.

The PIN doesn’t go beyond the on-device TPM, supposedly.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Its amazing how people that a deathly afraid of confronting people with bad news end up as managers. gently caress Jeff and his boss.

Managers who are like this want power, not responsibility.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I never know how many people this meme ever makes sense to or even where it came from but:

Foreverially bucketised, fully siloed and loving it.

Was preparing to post it until I saw this, so at least one other person.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Quackles posted:

Yeah

Both PIN and biometrics unlock the same certificate store local to the device, which then enables the device to use a certificate to authenticate with aad.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

the EU has made their decision, now let them enforce it

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Arquinsiel posted:

It's also worth pointing out that "PIN" in current MS-speak is just "password". I have no idea why they decided to do that, but they have. What you are actually proposing is Good and Proper and I salute you.

We don't have any of those, and it's my understanding that the GDPR does not protect EU citizens living in non-EU areas. It's still something I bring up every time some bright person in leadership suggests expanding into an EU country like it's as simple as setting up shop in a new US state.
And thank you, it's part of my mission to Federate loving Everything. I don't want people messing around with 15 different passwords, just tell it your email address and press button on phone.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

SerthVarnee posted:

No disability? Since when did you get cured of epilepsy?

You know what I did think about putting that on there but changed my mind at the last minute! I didn't want to lean too hard into the visible/ invisible bit until I'd had a chance to actually meet them, of course now I know I should have so that I could have demonstrated how I filled it in much better than they did and thus am officially "the most diverse person in this room by default".

e: I am saving a "excuse me!" when someone says "brainstorm" for a special occasion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Quackles posted:

Yeah but it confuses people who are used to "PIN" meaning a four digit number for their debit card.

Silly Newbie posted:

We don't have any of those, and it's my understanding that the GDPR does not protect EU citizens living in non-EU areas. It's still something I bring up every time some bright person in leadership suggests expanding into an EU country like it's as simple as setting up shop in a new US state.
And thank you, it's part of my mission to Federate loving Everything. I don't want people messing around with 15 different passwords, just tell it your email address and press button on phone.
Nah, it applies, but like DELETE CASCADE said... getting the EU to enforce it takes a lot of effort, and really it only affects whatever subsidy of the offending company are somewhere in the EU. Plus you'll just appeal the gently caress out of it and since your HQ is in Ireland and the DPC are toothless nothing will happen anyway :shrug:

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Spikes32 posted:

Lol the hubby works at ericcson in R&D. I'll ask him if he's heard anything about it from folks on the corporate/service side.

Supposedly it was specific to att software running on ericcson equipment. Thought around the office is it was some sort of attack, but they haven't heard any specifics from att at all.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah but it confuses people who are used to "PIN" meaning a four digit number for their debit card.

PINs are 4 or 6 digit numbers by default.

They are also categorically not you password, if you try to login to say MS365 on the web with your PIN in the password field it ain't gonna work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
On my work laptop when I signed in the first time Windows had me make a “PIN” which is just a password. It’s not my SSO password as it only unlocks the Lock Screen but it’s a password in all but name cause it needs letters and poo poo. I’ve had to rotate it and I’m on hunter6 now or whatever. Incrementing the number works.

E: I have a Jeffrey on my project too. How old is everyone’s Jeff? I’m wondering if it’s like a common generational name. The Jeff I work with threw me under the bus because I couldn’t read his mind and anticipate what he wanted vs what he said.

Straight up said something like "Yeah I talked with Boris and told him I wanted x and y, so I’m not sure why he doesn’t have it on time" in a meeting.

My guy you said you wanted z asap. You literally said right here in this teams message if I could focus on z because you needed it asap for this meeting today where you implied that I was slacking off to the rest of the team.

“Oh well z implies x and y.”

??????

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 23, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

~Coxy posted:

PINs are 4 or 6 digit numbers by default.

They are also categorically not you password, if you try to login to say MS365 on the web with your PIN in the password field it ain't gonna work.
I've not seen it not just be a password across four different AD deployments now, three of which I tested via the O365 login portal too :shrug:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

thats on you for setting your account password and pin to the same thing

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: I have a Jeffrey on my project too. How old is everyone’s Jeff? I’m wondering if it’s like a common generational name.

He's in his late 50's, I think? Definitely got boomer brain, even if he wasn't strictly born in that generational timeframe

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

So if I'm following it correctly, a PIN in this context is a string of characters that is checked locally and used to allow/deny access to computer and network functions, while a password is... a string of characters that is checked... non-locally and used to allow/deny access to computer and network functions?

Or, a PIN is explicitly only accepted in combination with multiple factor authentication while a password doesn't necessarily require that?

Or...?

I'm having trouble with the meaningful distinction here.

This isn't some gotcha, I'm actually unfamiliar with the terms and situation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Atopian posted:

So if I'm following it correctly, a PIN in this context is a string of characters that is checked locally and used to allow/deny access to computer and network functions, while a password is... a string of characters that is checked... non-locally and used to allow/deny access to computer and network functions?

Or, a PIN is explicitly only accepted in combination with multiple factor authentication while a password doesn't necessarily require that?

Or...?

I'm having trouble with the meaningful distinction here.

This isn't some gotcha, I'm actually unfamiliar with the terms and situation.

It’s confusing as gently caress because for 100% of the world pin is a 4 digit number you use alongside your bank card or to unlock your phone or whatever.

But Microsoft has decided to call a password a PIN that is for a specific device:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ef-1324f2114b19

quote:

A PIN is a set of numbers, or a combination of letters and numbers, that you choose yourself. Using a PIN is a quick, secure way to sign in to your Windows device. Your PIN is securely stored on your device.

But like, it’s literally just the password you enter on the lock screen of every windows computer ever. You know, your account password.

EXCEPT it’s not your account password, because for business computers your account password is usually some SSO password that lets you sign into O365.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

in the context of windows "passwordless" implementation a "device pin" is a string of letters and numbers that can be used to unlock the device that it is configured on

the pin and/or biometric is then used to unlock a certificate store that id used to authenticate you with network resources

this combined with mfa from the ms authenticator app and a robust sso implementation is supposed to eliminate the need for the use of account passwords

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

But like, it’s literally just the password you enter on the lock screen of every windows computer ever. You know, your account password.

it's only the same on every device if you make it the same

the whole point is that it is a single device only secret

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

and yes ms and it departments everywhere are poo poo at communicating the concept

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Ah, OK, thanks. "Password tied to physical device rather than account" makes sense. Not always different but can be.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
lol the “report phishing” button on my outlook just seems to sit and spin so I ended up just deleting the obvious phishing attempt, probably IT trying to entrap me yet again but I am too clever for them!! (At this company, last company IT got me with the old “time to select your laptop upgrade!” Fake IT email, bastards know my weakness)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

10 back to back meetings totalling 5 hours on a Friday afternoon :waycool:

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s confusing as gently caress because for 100% of the world pin is a 4 digit number you use alongside your bank card or to unlock your phone or whatever.

But Microsoft has decided to call a password a PIN that is for a specific device:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ef-1324f2114b19

EXCEPT it’s not your account password, because for business computers your account password is usually some SSO password that lets you sign into O365.

The PIN is a short unlock/identity check. Corporate machines would not use it because it is "insecure" as it is by design, short. But for home use it saves entering an entire account password if you've enabled account logins on the machine i.e. on boot my desktop wants it to authenticate me instead of entering my 20 character passphrase.

It can also be called by applications e.g. one of the Keepass apps uses it to Auth you when taking a password out, I guess as a "you left your vault unlocked and someone copied out your password" protection.

PIN itself has a basic meaning, it's used all over the place as an unlock key so that by itself is, imo, completely clear. Android calls your unlock numeric 6 digit code a PIN as well.

e: like don't get me wrong, Microsoft is getting progressively more poo poo about UX and documentation and basically everything involving user interaction, I think "set an unlock PIN" is pretty clear? Clearer than "you need to update your family security policies (if you want to change them you might not)" message it showed me the other day about my home 365 account.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 23, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

bee posted:

He's in his late 50's, I think? Definitely got boomer brain, even if he wasn't strictly born in that generational timeframe

Oh, I think the Jeff I work with is in his 20s, maybe 25ish.

Anyway, I declined my first useless meeting with him today. He’s probably going to be super upset but the meeting is a MWF 9am that lasts for an hour. He wants the entire team on the call to give status updates. This should take 10 minutes, but then he uses the time to dig in. So I’m sitting there for an hour listening to people talk about poo poo I don’t know about or care about.

People joke about meetings having pre-meetings and this 9-10 is exactly that: it’s his prep time for another meeting at 11am with a stakeholder. So I sit through a 9-10, and then at 11-12 I sit through the exact same thing again. He gives his updates and then hands off to me to give my updates. So I have to give the exact same update twice.

I was ok with sitting through the 9-10 half paying attention but I’m super duper salty that he called me out for doing exactly what he asked for and not anticipating that his ask implied other things in addition.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 23, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Fool posted:

it's only the same on every device if you make it the same
Guess what most admins do. Go on. I bet you can.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The Jeff I work with is rad as hell.

Be jealous, h8ers

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Renegret posted:

The Jeff I work with is rad as hell.

Be jealous, h8ers

yea im pro jeff

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
How do we feel about Geoffs?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Only Microsoft could come up with a "Passwordless" security solution that creates unsynched local accounts on all your devices and makes you create a password for each of them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the account itself is still synced, and the pin was intended as a fallback for when biometrics weren't available

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

priznat posted:

lol the “report phishing” button on my outlook just seems to sit and spin so I ended up just deleting the obvious phishing attempt, probably IT trying to entrap me yet again but I am too clever for them!! (At this company, last company IT got me with the old “time to select your laptop upgrade!” Fake IT email, bastards know my weakness)

The phishing exercises get a lot easier when you realize that they have tacitly agreed to let you send any bullshit email you don't like into their Phishing Queue by virtue of them sending out the exercises

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It’s Friday and that means it’s nautical themed Friday! Every Friday for the last eight years I’ve worn one of my nautical themed shirts to work because I’m weird and I have like eight of them. It started as a rebellion to Hawaiian shirt Fridays another coworker was trying to start many jobs ago. I didn’t think anyone cared but when I stopped wearing them at one point a couple jobs ago people got upset so I kept up this tradition.

I suppose I’m also glad I’ve worked in environments where no one cared that much about what I was wearing. Anyway happy Friday

Also the Jeff I worked with a couple jobs ago was cool enough, he was my manager before getting promoted to the cybersecurity team

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Corporate machines would not use it

Oh, that's where you're very, very wrong.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

Somewhat inversely, more tolerable the more stereotypically old money they look and act. The chunkier the glasses and cozier the cardigan, the better.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SpartanIvy posted:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

gently caress Geoff.

The Geoff on my team is actually pretty cool, but can get a little talkative

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

gently caress all Jeffs but Geoff I guess

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Trabant posted:

Oh, that's where you're very, very wrong.

Ok let me change that to "should not".

I mean, if you care about the data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ok let me change that to "should not".

I mean, if you care about the data.

This is also wrong