Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

A Monster's Expedition is a really good, chill puzzle game, I'd recommend it if you're looking for something to fill a similar niche to Talos or The Witness.

I'll check it out, looks really cute!

fez_machine posted:

Seconding A Monster's Expedition, there's also the newly released Islands of Insight which is very chill but does have some optional sound puzzles.

Snowrunner is Death Stranding but trucks and is a standard podcast game recommendation. Another truck game (although you don't do any driving) is Logisitcal. You're mainly picking apart huge networks of logistical chains, not constructing them like in Factorio.

I'm currently playing a lot of Dysmantle as a podcast game. There's very little to it. The entire game is methodically hitting things so they explode in to crafting materials so you can hit things better, the environments are pretty nice though especially the DLC areas.

These all sound interesting enough, I'll look into them. My IRL job involves dealing with logistics so it might be fun to play a gamified form of that.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Far: Lone Sail and its sequel might interest you on the chill side of things. Technically you could call it a sidescrolling trucking game, but it's got a a fairly unique premise. There's also Journey, but that's pretty short. Maybe Subnautica could get you more into survival games (although unlike most survival games, it's not a randomly generated world, so it's kind of on the fringe of the genre).

I think Assassin's Creed Origins might be something to look into on the action game side of things. Most of the Assassin's Creed games you can kinda just zone out on the plot if you want and just plow through and enjoy the very elaborately created environments packed full of thoroughly-researched historical details, and there's been a major exploration element to the series for a while, but I feel like Origins has the most elaborate and diverse environments. Egypt has swamps, cities, forests, rivers, the coast, and many different types of desert.

Witcher 3 is also a very pretty game, but there's a whole lot of very good writing that you might want to pay attention to. I guess that's the problem with a lot of good games to suggest. MGSV is also pretty and fun, but you might end up having to think too much about the environment in trying to figure out how to deal with all the enemies. Shadow of Mordor is great, but I'm not sure how satisfying the environments are.

Maybe Hollow Knight? Control? But there's also auditory elements there and shooters are harder to chill out on.

I have the first Far: Lone Sails game and played it for about an hour ages ago. I remember liking it and I'm not sure why I stopped playing, so I'll give it another look. I've beaten Journey, Subnautica, Control and MGSV and liked them all, but am not really interested in replaying them. Mmmmaybe MGSV? Putting together an army and upgrading my base was really fun, and the gameplay felt good (I also love all the MGS games), but the open world was not varied enough for my taste.

I haven't played an AC game since 1 and 2, so I might check Origins out. I liked 1 and 2 but felt like I had gotten my fill of the formula, so didn't continue with the series. I've also heard that Black Flag is a cool pirate game with fun ship mechanics?

Hollow Knight is another good suggestion, I still need to finish it and it's been a while since I played! I could start a new game and it would probably feel fresh enough. That's why I like revisiting The Witness occasionally, I always forget how to do many of the puzzles and so they feel somewhat fresh. I also love the colorful world and how quiet/peaceful the game is.

ilmucche posted:

art of rally might be good, it's pretty chill rallying game and there's no co driver so you can just drive

Not looking for racing games right now, but I like playing them sometimes and I like the art style/graphics on this one. I might try it sometime.

Party Boat posted:

You don't really "explore" (although there's a variety of areas) but Powerwash Simulator is up there as podcast games go

Also not quite what I'm looking for, but I might grab this on sale sometime because powerwashing is definitely satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Rogue Legacy 2 with the music off might be a worthwhile choice here. Or even the original (which regularly goes on sale for like $4 these days) if you don't want to deal with any story stuff at all.

Also there's Stardew Valley or Factorio or of any of 50 management/colony sim type games after the Banished or Rimworld traditions. Or Anno with no or super passive AI opponents.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 18, 2024

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oh yeah if you just want to explore some procedurally generated spaces and lightly engage with some gameplay systems there's always No Man's Sky

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Queering Wheel posted:

I'm looking for some more single player games that are mostly quiet and good for listening to music/podcasts while playing. The ones I currently play are still great, but are getting a bit overplayed, so I'm looking for something new.

For this I play a lot of Noita with the music off, all of the Souls games/the good Soulslikes, Death Stranding, and I also enjoy quiet puzzle games like The Witness, The Room series, or Talos Principle. All of these games have lots of cool exploration and a nice variance of environments, which I guess is what I like most about them. Looking for more of that. (I am not really interested in realistic trucking sims, but could be persuaded to try one maybe)
Try a Vampire Survivors-like? Sound is very optional for most of them and it's fun making new builds.

Also KSP1 is IMO the platonic ideal of podcast games.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Party Boat posted:

You don't really "explore" (although there's a variety of areas) but Powerwash Simulator is up there as podcast games go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F-Yq5YXL9c

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I like the look of Snowrunner and Mudrunner. Is Snowrunner better to get because it's more recent, or should I just choose whether I want to see more mud or more snow?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I like the look of Snowrunner and Mudrunner. Is Snowrunner better to get because it's more recent, or should I just choose whether I want to see more mud or more snow?

Snowrunner has a better sense of progression and impact on the world, but people have said Mudrunner is still a good time getting stuck and unstuck delivering heavy items.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

gently caress yes

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's still plenty mud in Snowrunner, so that seems like the better game to go check out unless you're trying to stay cheaper. I think the damage system isn't in Mudrunner? You could also go back further to Spintires.

To confuse things further, you could even wait a couple weeks and play the new game in the series: Expeditions. It's supposed to be less about hauling and more about exploring.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
what is the absolute best Bomberman game to play single-player?

I used to love that fun little guy as a kid, but I feel like I can barely remember the games nowadays. I suppose what I'm most interested in is mixing up the mechanics for puzzles, weird twists on the gameplay, powerups.

I know some of the Bomberman games are action RPGs with exploration and leveling up and/or permanent upgrades. That kind of stuff doesn't necessarily make a game better to me. I have no issue with it, but I'm also completely cool with just being dropped into a level and losing all power-ups when I die.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Queering Wheel posted:

I'm looking for some more single player games that are mostly quiet and good for listening to music/podcasts while playing. The ones I currently play are still great, but are getting a bit overplayed, so I'm looking for something new.

For this I play a lot of Noita with the music off, all of the Souls games/the good Soulslikes, Death Stranding, and I also enjoy quiet puzzle games like The Witness, The Room series, or Talos Principle. All of these games have lots of cool exploration and a nice variance of environments, which I guess is what I like most about them. Looking for more of that. (I am not really interested in realistic trucking sims, but could be persuaded to try one maybe)

I like Streets of Rogue a lot as a chillout podcast game
I will often use it as a wind-down after work

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hey this is going to be a real long shot but does anyone know of any newer(~20 years) games like Triplane Turmoil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KMiH4x7WTk&t=237s

Basically side scrolling flight simulators: you take off, land, rearm, refuel, bomb/shoot objectives, rinse repeat all with actual flight issues like stalling and whatnot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Deakul posted:

Hey this is going to be a real long shot but does anyone know of any newer(~20 years) games like Triplane Turmoil?

Basically side scrolling flight simulators: you take off, land, rearm, refuel, bomb/shoot objectives, rinse repeat all with actual flight issues like stalling and whatnot.

Luftrausers and Jet Lancer have gravity, but none of the other stuff

there's a shmup called Aircraft Evolution whose trailer shows similar movement and shooting to Triplane, but no landings or takeoffs

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 20, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Altitude is a 2009 multiplayer 2D air combat game. I dunno if there's still active servers, but it's free now, so it's worth checking out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fighting Elegy posted:

I used to love that fun little guy as a kid, but I feel like I can barely remember the games nowadays. I suppose what I'm most interested in is mixing up the mechanics for puzzles, weird twists on the gameplay, powerups.

I know some of the Bomberman games are action RPGs with exploration and leveling up and/or permanent upgrades. That kind of stuff doesn't necessarily make a game better to me. I have no issue with it, but I'm also completely cool with just being dropped into a level and losing all power-ups when I die.

Probably one of the TurbographX ones like Bomberman '93 then?

Though the Bomberman R games are actually quite fun if you don't mind the different art style.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Bomberman 64 is cool because it's secretly a puzzle platformer

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

Bomberman World (EU) for the absolutely insane voice acting

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Deakul posted:

We used to play this game all the time. So much fun

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm looking for a game which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist, but maybe there is something that ticks some boxes:

- Open world, maybe a story somewhere but you can dick around as much as you want.
- Create and build up your own mercenary company/business/trade empire.
- Probably military-ish, but open to other stuff.
- As you advance in the game, and that's the important bit, the scale changes. What I mean is that at the start you begin with a small group of dudes/a single truck/a factory that produces chairs and as you go on you build armies/a base/automate trade routes/build a stronghold and send adventuring parties on their own...

Basically I want a Battle Brothers/Mount&Blade/Factorio/X/Patrician/Fantasy General abomination. Yes, I've tried Kenshi.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

X4 or the prior X3 Albion Prelude are exactly that, but in space.

Start in a single spaceship, build a nest egg through trucking/odd jobs/piracy until you can afford some trading and mining ships. From there, get a fleet of traders, upgrade to a better ship capable of taking on tough fights and outfit a wing of fighters to follow you. Build some factories as soon as possible and you can start a trading empire and amass your own fleet of capital ships. There are a bunch of story arcs with missions that’ll give you some decent ships to get started, or crazy money and time sink engineering projects.

The endgame is pretty varied. Make a criminal empire smuggling drugs, construct your own self sustaining fabrication and supply chains and become a mega corporation or build your own ships and munitions and conquer some of the alien invaders or another faction.

The games are very janky and have an incomprehensible UI, but you’re probably used to that in the genre.

X3 Albion Prelude is relatively cheap and the most polished iteration of the X3 series, so try that out if you’re leery of the price tag for X4

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 20, 2024

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm looking for a game which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist, but maybe there is something that ticks some boxes:

- Open world, maybe a story somewhere but you can dick around as much as you want.
- As you advance in the game, and that's the important bit, the scale changes. What I mean is that at the start you begin with a small group of dudes/a single truck/a factory that produces chairs and as you go on you build armies/a base/automate trade routes/build a stronghold and send adventuring parties on their own...

Basically I want a Battle Brothers/Mount&Blade/Factorio/X/Patrician/Fantasy General abomination. Yes, I've tried Kenshi.

Amazing Cultivator Simulator? You don't scale as much in terms of numbers of dudes you control, but by unlocking new insane mechanics and progression systems.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Yeah, I got one. It's called Palworld.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dwarf Fortress is probably close. You can even dip into Adventure Mode using your own fortress (I think we're getting the big adventure mode update soon?) for that Mount and Blade feeling of stepping among what you've built up

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think we're getting the big adventure mode update soon?
Now that's a blast from the past! I remember seeing that one back when I played DF!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Starsector is pretty good for this as a top down space Mount & Blade. But yeah, the only games that do what you're really asking for are M&B and X.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fat Samurai posted:

The closest thing to that (Songs of Syx) unfortunately comes at it from a city builder perspective, starting at the smaller Dwarf Fortress scale, then going up to the Total War scale.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 21, 2024

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Scale changes as the game goes on sounds like Terra Invicta but I'm not sure it does anything else you want.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Altitude is a 2009 multiplayer 2D air combat game. I dunno if there's still active servers, but it's free now, so it's worth checking out.

Hwurmp posted:

Luftrausers and Jet Lancer have gravity, but none of the other stuff

there's a shmup called Aircraft Evolution whose trailer shows similar movement and shooting to Triplane, but no landings or takeoffs

Nice suggestions guys, I actually already have Luftrausers and Altitude from waaaaaay back in the day but I haven't tried them again in many years, both of them slap really good.
Especially Luftrausers, Altitude is a bit too multiplayer centric for me(and dead sadly) and the bots are braindead unfortunately.

Jet Lancer and Aircraft Evolution both look extremely my jam though!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Fat Samurai posted:

Songs of Syx scales really well from a bunch of crazy settlers to a continental empire, with new mechanics at some of the stages. It's a Dwarf-Fortress like so probably not what you're looking for.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Deakul posted:

This isn't going to be what you're looking for, but you reminded me of a pair of Flash games based on the Tupalev series of aircraft. The first, which I haven't played, seems to be military-oriented, while in the second you are piloting a passenger plane. It has the flight mechanics you describe, including takeoff and landing (though I never succeeded at that part). In the second, you also have to contend with occasional mechanical issues that can be a real problem if you're in a critical phase of flight.

Downloads are on The Internet Archive but you can also still find them on flash game sites as well.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I am super hit or miss with action/adventure RPGs

I recently picked up and enjoyed Granblue Fantasy Relink

I've also enjoyed recently several of the Souls titles, but I need to be in the right mindset for those. I also took off basically all of 2012 - 2022 from gaming so I've probably missed a lot, as I've only played a limited backlog of stuff in the last couple years.

Is there anything with a similar feel to the campaign of Relink? Monster Hunter jumps to mind, but I was hit or miss on that one (though I suppose I could try again, it's been a while so I cant recall what didnt jive for me).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Walked posted:

I've also enjoyed recently several of the Souls titles, but I need to be in the right mindset for those. I also took off basically all of 2012 - 2022 from gaming so I've probably missed a lot, as I've only played a limited backlog of stuff in the last couple years.

Is there anything with a similar feel to the campaign of Relink? Monster Hunter jumps to mind, but I was hit or miss on that one (though I suppose I could try again, it's been a while so I cant recall what didnt jive for me).

maybe the Ys series, especially 7, Memories of Celceta, VIII, and IX

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I've tried out Factorio and Dyson Sphere Program and while I really like the concept and feeling of starting really small and scrounging for supplies and building and iterating until I have huge planet-spanning enterprise going on, the actual nuts and bolts of the gameplay where I'm setting up conveyors and robotic grabby arms and stuff feels annoyingly fiddly and tedious for me. Any suggestions for games - not necessarily in the same genre or anything - that give a similar feeling of starting with nothing and spiraling into something ridiculous?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Idle games come to mind, e.g. Cookie Clicker or Universal Paperclips.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Idle games come to mind, e.g. Cookie Clicker or Universal Paperclips.

I do like those (my review's in the trailer for NGU Idle!) and that's definitely the sort of feel I'm going for. I liked that Factorio and DSP gave me that same feeling except as an actual game that's more involved than just going through menus, but the actual gameplay of laying down arms and conveyors just doesn't click for me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

garfield hentai posted:

I've tried out Factorio and Dyson Sphere Program and while I really like the concept and feeling of starting really small and scrounging for supplies and building and iterating until I have huge planet-spanning enterprise going on, the actual nuts and bolts of the gameplay where I'm setting up conveyors and robotic grabby arms and stuff feels annoyingly fiddly and tedious for me. Any suggestions for games - not necessarily in the same genre or anything - that give a similar feeling of starting with nothing and spiraling into something ridiculous?

The Riftbreaker

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Walked posted:

Monster Hunter World or Rise certainly jump to mind, as do some of the other Monster Hunter-likes, such as God Eater, Toukiden, Wild Hearts, Dauntless, and so on.

If you're fine with losing the hub quest structure, certainly could look through some of the more hack-and-slash action RPGs such as Fate Samurai Remnant, Nier Automata, Ys VIII-IX, Scarlet Nexus, Trials of Mana, Tales of Arise/Vesperia/Berseria, Star Ocean Second Story R, Yakuza/Judgement, and so on.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

garfield hentai posted:

Seconding Riftbreaker.

Maybe Stardew Valley? You start with basically nothing and eventually build up a huge farm making tens of thousands or more a day. Maybe not the genre you're looking for though.

For a more fighty experience, maybe Vampire Survivors? You'll die horribly the first few runs but eventually each run will end with the entire screen covered by your attacks.

Supposedly X and Medieval Dynasty are good at building up too, but they've never grabbed me the way Factorio and Stardew Valley did.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

garfield hentai posted:

The Logistical series? Especially Logistical 3: Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

garfield hentai posted:

Helium Rain, it's like a smaller scale X3 sorta, and it's freeware now.