Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

If you’re very sensitive to spoilers I recommend not reading YouTube comments (you shouldn’t be reading them anyway). I don’t care but I know there are people who do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Unlucky7 posted:

I decided I was feeling spicy and looked at the IGN thoughts on it and I will say that it feels slightly borderline, particularly if you want to go in blind as possible, so caveat emptor. That said that might be just me.

I mean the gamespot review section already posted contained the extremely unambiguous phrasing [at the end of the game] they robbed Aerith of an important character moment Whatever could they be talking about?

ImpAtom posted:

Cid's stuff is almost entirely rewritten. He's like the one character who just got a big workover, I suspect entirely because of the issues with his initial depiction.

I don’t think I would have played them at all if they hadn’t reworked the character. What an awful person.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I wish it didn’t look like mud on performance mode and I also wish they didn’t sprinkle trash assets all over everything but everything else seems cool. Makes ff16 look worse in comparison. Ff16 was pretty bad though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh yeah ImpAtom, how did this run for you? I know a lot of people didn't like the performance mode in the demo but atm I have to choose fps over visuals because of some eyestrain..

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Oh yeah ImpAtom, how did this run for you? I know a lot of people didn't like the performance mode in the demo but atm I have to choose fps over visuals because of some eyestrain..

They literally patched it a couple days ago so my answer won't be super useful for the whole game, but for the most part performance mode ran fine. The graphics take a hit but honestly the art design carries it enough I don't think it's a huge issue. I'll tend to go for more FPS over higher res when given the choice though so my feeling may not be as useful for you. The patch improved things and I imagine they'll continue to be updating it but I genuinely think it's in a notably better state than FF16 was at the same time frame.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I must be in a really weird minority because I didn't think FF16's perf mode was that bad and it's what I used throughout. Rebirth's is way worse to me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

during the scene at the entrance of junon in the demo a tree behind Barrett was violently oscillating between low-detail and high-detail models which isn’t exactly game breaking but I did find it pretty funny

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

triple sulk posted:

I must be in a really weird minority because I didn't think FF16's perf mode was that bad and it's what I used throughout. Rebirth's is way worse to me.

No, you're right, it was nowhere near as blurry as Rebirth.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looking forward to double dipping on the PC version eventually so can play Rebirth without sacrifices to the graphics and frame rate.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What's the wait on PC? I think I might just wait to play it if it's a hundred hours long and PS performance mode isn't great.

E: I thought performance mode on 7r was fine as well, but performance mode seems to be getting worse for most games rather than better.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 23, 2024

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bland posted:

No, you're right, it was nowhere near as blurry as Rebirth.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what people think is so horrific about it beyond maybe a lack of slider options (based on what I read).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JBP posted:

What's the wait on PC? I think I might just wait to play it if it's a hundred hours long and PS performance mode isn't great.

Anywhere between 3 months and never

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JBP posted:

The first one was about a year and a half. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything much sooner than that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Arist posted:

Ah ok thanks both. I had seen three months and was like wow that's fast, but I guess that's just the minimum.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah Final Fantasy XVI still isn't on PC, and my guess for that game is that it won't come out to PC until after the second DLC releases on PlayStation.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

To be clear, I'm assuming it'll be more like a year or two barring any unannounced DLC

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I have a gameplay question, in case ImpAtom or anyone else is aware (since it might be something you could figure out from the demo). How do the "Fire + Ice"/"Lightning + Wind" materias work with when linked with the materia that applies an element to your attacks? Or with something like the Synergy materia, for that matter?

Arist posted:

"Never" is very unlikely at least, given Remake/Intermission came out for PC. But I'll be extremely surprised if it's sooner than a year.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I clearly got my wires crossed on the short turnaround for PC. I'll just grab it on PS5 because I'd like to play it sooner than 2025.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I have a gameplay question, in case ImpAtom or anyone else is aware (since it might be something you could figure out from the demo). How do the "Fire + Ice"/"Lightning + Wind" materias work with when linked with the materia that applies an element to your attacks? Or with something like the Synergy materia, for that matter?

"Never" is very unlikely at least, given Remake/Intermission came out for PC. But I'll be extremely surprised if it's sooner than a year.

It applies both elements to the Elemental materia which is extremely nice. As far as Synergy goes I think it picks whichever is optimal but I admit I didn't use it with that much.

It's worth noting in general there is a *lot* more variety in Materia, some of which can be super useful. For example there's a Level Boost materia that lets you raise the level of the attached Materia by 1, which is really nice for stuff that takes a ton of grinding (the multi-element materia for exaple.) There's also a shitload more Command Materia and even some weird ones like HP <-> MP Reverse where I can't imagine why you'd ever take it but hey it's an option if you want effectively infinite MP but to die to a swift breeze.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 23, 2024

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wish this game had a training dummy or something for me to wail on and get a feel for the different character's movesets. The little VR tutorials from Chadly are okay, but those orcs die way too fast.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For those who have played it, how's the combat difficulty? Remake and the last final fantasy were way too easy too easy to make the combat feel satisfying. I started to feel like I was just doing chores from point A to point B.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are the weapon upgrade trees gone in this one?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Are the weapon upgrade trees gone in this one?

Weapons upgrade naturally and you pick attributes for them you can swap. Characters have a Sphere Grid now

DangerDongs posted:

For those who have played it, how's the combat difficulty? Remake and the last final fantasy were way too easy too easy to make the combat feel satisfying. I started to feel like I was just doing chores from point A to point B.

Dynamic Mode helps a bit but it isn't going to be a super hardcore challenge outside of some optional stuff.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 23, 2024

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

DalaranJ posted:

I mean the gamespot review section already posted contained the extremely unambiguous phrasing [at the end of the game] they robbed Aerith of an important character moment Whatever could they be talking about?

I don’t think I would have played them at all if they hadn’t reworked the character. What an awful person.

reading between the lines, it sounds like aerith dies but it's weird somehow. which, given the timeline nonsense we've already seen, isn't too big of a shock

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think I finally found a setting that lets me use Graphics mode for Rebirth on my OLED TV (LG C1). The "Cinematic Movement" motion smoothing option reduces the judder enough that it's tolerable, but doesn't add so much smoothing that everything becomes all hosed up (which is what happens with more aggressive smoothing at 30fps). It seems like a decent approximation of how 30fps looks on non-OLED TVs.

Think I might go with that, just because of the how much better many things look on Graphics mode.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Maigius posted:

When you find a decent source, can you post it in the thread?

Here's the best I could find for The First Soldier story:
Chapter 1-4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

I know this is unsurprising but it's super boring and doesn't really add much aside from some more character for Sephiroth when you get to Chapters 5 & 6. I cannot recommend watching it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uh can Red XIII do anything against flying enemies without ATB?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Siphon Fang reaches pretty high

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

RatHat posted:

Block and counterattack. He felt like he needs to have steadfast block materia on at all times.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Played the second demo last night and I nearly screamed when Red got onto his chocobo. I love how there's such a massive bounty on Aeris. I could barely get the combos to work in combat but I think that's just me having trouble adjusting from controls for XVI and Horizon: Forbidden West, and the game will presumably ease us all into it.

I can see this Mia person getting real old real fast but of course Japan loving loves overly-peppy young female characters in service roles.

Everything was beautiful, Junon actually came across as gloomy and depressing from what we saw of it. I was wondering why the area from the Mythril Mine to Junon felt so compressed but perhaps that's been squeezed down for the demo. That boss fight was actually pretty difficult, what with it being able to immobilize two members of the party and nearly kill someone with that water jet attack. I lost against it once and went in with Barret the second time (God, why is it that Clive can jump around and poo poo but Cloud can't?) which seemed to work better.

My first attempt I saw Barret in the background plinking away at the boss from the sidelines. Fabulous. Too bad they tossed Yuffie in here. That rear end in a top hat stole my Materia in 1998 and I've never got over it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Blocking/counter to build Vengence, going into Vengence to use Syphon, Swap to Cloud and use his Synergy Skill to build ATB for Cloud and Red XIII are generally your best options. Synergy Skills are often used to cover character weaknesses.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah realizing that synergy skills build ATB for both characters was definitely a game changer

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh poo poo they do? Well that's very interesting

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I managed to limp through the boss battle in the demo (I didn’t realize it would trigger when it did but I guess in retrospect I should have) and the biggest problem with the battle system was me. I’m used to playing Tales of Arise which is heavy on dodging so I kept trying to dodge instead of blocking. Gotta get used to perfect-blocking everything. I also had a very difficult time recognizing when an attack name would pop up to signal the close-range attacks, because I’m RG colorblind and the text didn’t contrast enough so I didn’t see them until too late. I hope there is some kind of accessibility option for that text! I didn’t check and I’m not going to go back to the demo, seems pointless to spend more time on it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Saw Advent Children in theaters last night. Surprisingly really enjoyed it this time around. I never seen the "complete" version and its the first time I've seen the movie since 2007 probably. Yeah I don't know why but it really hit this time. Some of the graphics aged a bit, especially the backgrounds, but drat the fight scenes are still awesome.

Also before the movie started there was an interview with some square people and they were talking about the history of ff7, the remakes, advent children and all that. They were saying they want to just connect every single spinoff officially into the modern age. So yeah I can't wait for Dirge of Cerberus remake.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Saw Advent Children in theaters last night. Surprisingly really enjoyed it this time around. I never seen the "complete" version and its the first time I've seen the movie since 2007 probably. Yeah I don't know why but it really hit this time. Some of the graphics aged a bit, especially the backgrounds, but drat the fight scenes are still awesome.

Also before the movie started there was an interview with some square people and they were talking about the history of ff7, the remakes, advent children and all that. They were saying they want to just connect every single spinoff officially into the modern age. So yeah I can't wait for Dirge of Cerberus remake.

Honestly they've already done that considering you encounter Deepground in the Yuffie DLC, all the Crisis stuff at least gets a nod, and the final boss of Remake sends weirdo versions of the Sephitrio after you.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I feel we'll need to put "press dodge and hold the attack button to make cloud attack aerial targets." In big rear end font on the OP

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Anyone know of a good plot recap video for FF7 Remake? The OG FF7 is imprinted on my brain, and I can't for the life of me remember the plot differences in Remake. The ending of Remake in particular I recall kind of sliding across my brain with little being absorbed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fishing with the fam posted:

Anyone know of a good plot recap video for FF7 Remake? The OG FF7 is imprinted on my brain, and I can't for the life of me remember the plot differences in Remake. The ending of Remake in particular I recall kind of sliding across my brain with little being absorbed.

The honest answer is that not a lot changed. Everything was 95% the same until the ending where the party got into a big dramatic fight with fate, and the aftereffects you're shown are "Biggs appears to have survived" and "Zack (and seemingly another version of Cloud) appear to have survived and are heading towards Midgar." Despite the many and varied details that get fleshed out, the only major change is "the party defeated the Whispers, which means they can no longer force the plot to remain on a specific path or so it appears."

Probably the biggest 'change' is the Yuffie DLC, which establishes that Yuffie was in Midgar during the events of the first game on a Wutai assassination/theft mission alongside her partner Sonon. They ran into another cell of Avalanche (the 'sane' ones, while the protagonist group are considered the radical extremists) and then invaded Shinra where they ended up fighting Scarlet in an underground weapon bunker, before DEEPGROUND showed up and Sonon got killed by Nero the Black, leaving Yuffie to fend for herself without backup. Even then all you really need to know from that is "Yuffie REALLY REALLY hates Shinra, hates Scarlet, and carries guilt over her partner/friend dying to save her."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Oh lord. I didn't play the DLC and only offhandedly recognize those other names as being from Dirge of Cerberus (which I never played). Thank you for the response. gently caress it. If I don't understand some stuff, I don't understand some stuff.

Edit: Didn't play Before Crisis, Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, or Ever Crisis, so now I'm curious what all crossover may be showing up.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 23, 2024