Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BiggerBoat posted:

A little off topic but Dark Souls and Elden Ring get a lot of mention here.

Weird to me that there's never been any attempt at making a movie or a TV series. Given the immense popularity of ER and poo poo like GoT, LotR and The Witcher.

They did a comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
solaire lookin like a JoJo's character about to whip out their stand

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
They didn't even bother going for an ingame armor for the titty lady, that's why the sun tabard is frowning

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sally posted:

solaire lookin like a JoJo's character about to whip out their stand

jolly cooperation is a kind of stand if you think about it

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

edit: oops wrong thread

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Vandar posted:

They did a comic.

Yeah, and it was Not Good.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

kazil posted:

The villain of every season is a poison swamp

I really like the poison swamps. Is there something wrong with me?

Also, Jim Rash as Patches.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I don't mind them, just as an overall mechanic. It's a thing in RPGs, there are areas of terrain that are a hazard to move through unless you have something to mitigate it. Designers probably played a bunch of Ultima or early Dragon Quest.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
IMO poison/super poison swamps are alright when they’re treated as an obstacle to work around, but I think most of the hate they get isn’t From games isn’t that there’s a zone where you have to manage the poison chip damage while fighting off enemies, it’s that you have to slowly wade through a swamp zone that’s already obnoxious and oh hey there’s poison damage on top of it. It’s why hardly anyone complains about that one underground zone in Elden Ring even though scarlet rot is basically not-toxic with the super quick HP loss that entails because that area is set up to avoid getting !SCARLET ROT! at all by running between islands.

And consequently, why Blighttown’s depths are so infamous; you need a ring that’s almost secret by itself to have normal move, and there’s a small army of mosquitoes spawning in from nowhere to waste your time, and giant ogre men on top of that throwing boulders at you. It’s just an obnoxious waste of time before you factor the poison in.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Also keep in mind the poison swamps in Dark and Demon Souls were incredibly poorly optimized in the first releases.
I don't recall if Blighttown or the Swamp of Sorrows had worse performance in the original releases, but I do know adding the risk of falling to your death and that one notorious bridge with the bugged geometry made me have way worse memories of Blighttown, even if you didn't have to fight in the poison as much.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the most hated mission in star trek online is one where you go outside DS9 in the middle of a space battle, and it's hated because they decided that they should put you in a spacesuit that's magnetically stuck to the surface, which turns off the run command and halves your walkspeed

you don't lose any hp or get any status ailment other than the bad movement

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

the most hated mission in star trek online is one where you go outside DS9 in the middle of a space battle, and it's hated because they decided that they should put you in a spacesuit that's magnetically stuck to the surface, which turns off the run command and halves your walkspeed

Game devs thinking that reduced movespeed automatically equals epic cinematic moment is a curse.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

In the first Kotor, there's an bit where you have to put on a deep-sea divers suit and walk around in the deep ocean, which should mean slow, ponderous movement. I assume the playtesters pointed out this was very boring to actually do, so instead the walk animation is sped up to a fairly hilarious degree and you just high-speed trundle around the place.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pookah posted:

In the first Kotor, there's an bit where you have to put on a deep-sea divers suit and walk around in the deep ocean, which should mean slow, ponderous movement. I assume the playtesters pointed out this was very boring to actually do, so instead the walk animation is sped up to a fairly hilarious degree and you just high-speed trundle around the place.

In KotOR one they very much did not, it was slow and awful and tedious.

KotOR 2 they hit the fast-forward button.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Strom Cuzewon posted:

In KotOR one they very much did not, it was slow and awful and tedious.

KotOR 2 they hit the fast-forward button.

:doh: I was wondering why I couldn't find any videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFSS55n36e4
Kotor 2 spacewalk is probably what I was vaguely remembering

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just looked at a KotOR LP and the Manaan underwater sequence doesn't seem too slow, but the much larger area which includes "combat" would definitely make it tedious (I just realized I haven't played both games in ages and should probably fix that soon).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Re: being underwater in games, I'm always curious what was behind the decision in the Mega-Man games that jumping in water somehow made you go higher.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Re: being underwater in games, I'm always curious what was behind the decision in the Mega-Man games that jumping in water somehow made you go higher.

Pretty simple - jump and usually crouch are the controls for go up/down already, so reusing them for the same axes of movement makes sense and means you don’t need even more buttons.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Elissimpark posted:

Also, Jim Rash as Patches.
YES!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I would watch a Dark Souls comedy show starring Patches, where you follow him on his weird adventures (sometimes a man who kicks people, sometimes a mecha pilot, and sometimes a spider).

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

something something Orns-dean and Smough

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Patches, looking at Amygdala posted:

This better not awaken anything in me.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

DrBouvenstein posted:

. . . buoyancy.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

DrBouvenstein posted:

Reminds me of that underwater dungeon in legends 2. It was so brutally slow I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. If you got hit by something that could knock you back, you had time to get up and piss before mega man would land and recover.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

. . . buoyancy.

I would have thought the cyborg covered in armor plates would have negative buoyancy but yeah

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arrath posted:

I would have thought the cyborg covered in armor plates would have negative buoyancy but yeah

Being a cyborg means his underwater jumping is leagues above everyone else's.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Playing God of War Ragnarok and I can't get over how much I hate Brok and Sindri. Just the most irritating 'comedy' characters with one dimensional schtick (I'm gruff and manly, and I'm whiny and don't like getting dirty). To be fair, I think all the characters are dicks in some way, but these lads are so annoying.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Being a cyborg means his underwater jumping is leagues above everyone else's.

He has internal cybernetic air sacs because dr. Light foresaw this.

i have no idea. the only megaman fact i know is that the opening theme to 2 slaps

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I think it's dragging Knights of the OId Republic down that "Kotor" went from being an annoying acronym to being what people call the game to being what people think the game is called.

e: anecdotally, a friend of mine thought "Knights of the Old Republic" was the MMORPG.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arrath posted:

still decreases relative weight by his displacement in water

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Arrath posted:

Yeah, he DOES have negative net buoyancy; he sinks. But his net weight underwater is guaranteed to be less than it is in air. His legs will therefore have an easier time lifting him than they do in air. Yeah, there's a lot more drag, so that becomes a factor at some point, but I don't know if you've ever tried jumping off the bottom of a deep pool or anything, but it's way easy, despite all the drag.

For example, if he weighs 200 pounds (which is a lot since he's the size of a child), and he displaces 100 pounds of water (probably roughly correct for a short but beefy child-sized person, assuming he's watertight), then being under water makes jumping twice as easy (i.e. jump twice as high with the same leg exertion, ignoring drag), even though he still net weighs 100 pounds and sinks. Or, if you don't want to put concrete numbers on it, if his density is twice that of a normal person (a normal person being pretty much as dense as water), then he'll jump twice as high in water as in air (ignoring drag - so slightly less than twice as high in practice).

Anyway I haven't played a megaman game in a long-rear end time so I don't remember what the water mechanics are actually like, but "sinking, but being able to jump higher" makes perfect sense from a physics perspective.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Today I learned something?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Arrath posted:

It's cuz you fight air man first hth

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ZeusCannon posted:

i have no idea. the only megaman fact i know is that the opening theme to 2 slaps

My favourite has been Mega Man 3 on the Game Boy. I have distinct memories of plugging in earphones to listen to this on a plane and not believing how much better it sounded than through the GB's tinny speakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR8LjMxDuqI

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yeah, he DOES have negative net buoyancy; he sinks. But his net weight underwater is guaranteed to be less than it is in air. His legs will therefore have an easier time lifting him than they do in air. Yeah, there's a lot more drag, so that becomes a factor at some point, but I don't know if you've ever tried jumping off the bottom of a deep pool or anything, but it's way easy, despite all the drag.

For example, if he weighs 200 pounds (which is a lot since he's the size of a child), and he displaces 100 pounds of water (probably roughly correct for a short but beefy child-sized person, assuming he's watertight), then being under water makes jumping twice as easy (i.e. jump twice as high with the same leg exertion, ignoring drag), even though he still net weighs 100 pounds and sinks. Or, if you don't want to put concrete numbers on it, if his density is twice that of a normal person (a normal person being pretty much as dense as water), then he'll jump twice as high in water as in air (ignoring drag - so slightly less than twice as high in practice).

Anyway I haven't played a megaman game in a long-rear end time so I don't remember what the water mechanics are actually like, but "sinking, but being able to jump higher" makes perfect sense from a physics perspective.

Well color me educated.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ZeusCannon posted:

There are a buncha songs from that soundtrack that are still in my head.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Duane and Brando have a lot to answer for

I've just finished Chippy and it was real good fun, but left a bit of a bit of an unfulfilled feeling in me. It's a twin stick shooter where the point is you every square that the enemy is made of has its own life bar, so you can focus fire and shoot your way through and remove whole chunks by cutting them off until you can get to thr main core.

To make sure you can't just tunnel through and kill the boss immediately the bosses have smaller squares that need to be shot off first, called Guns. First problem comes from the fact removing guns makes the boss stronger, gives it harder bullet patterns and often speeds them up. I know this is basic video game difficulty progression, but with this premise I want to feel like I've worn down an enemy, not just made it smaller.

Second issue is around difficulty too, at a certain stage it changes from a gotta shoot this fucker through to more like a dodging puzzle game. Indestructible blocks make it so you have to figure out where to shoot to remove armour to make more cuts to remove more armour, which while still good doesn't feel as good as just blasting through at time.

Oh and the music is bad. Chip tunes, to tie into the name.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
MGS1 is obviously a classic, but it can be really hard to revisit as someone who played MGS2 first. MGS2 is much more fluid and there are more options for espionage. Snake moves so slowly in MGS1 and I've always thought that.

I will always go to bat for MGS2 though. I still think people were much too hard on it, even if it has been somewhat redeemed.

Edit: I suppose I can't be too annoyed at MGS1. It was, after all, built with currently existing technology.

Hedgehog Pie has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Feb 25, 2024

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Hedgehog Pie posted:

MGS1 is obviously a classic, but it can be really hard to revisit as someone who played MGS2 first. MGS2 is much more fluid and there are more options for espionage. Snake moves so slowly in MGS1 and I've always thought that.

I will always go to bat for MGS2 though. I still think people were much too hard on it, even if it has been somewhat redeemed.

Try twin snakes? I know a lot of people rag on the difficulty changes and tone shift, but I was able to play twin snakes okay aftet mgs2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Coolness Averted posted:

Try twin snakes? I know a lot of people rag on the difficulty changes and tone shift, but I was able to play twin snakes okay aftet mgs2

Oh yeah, I thought people were too mean on Twin Snakes too! I get the feeling it will never be re-released though.