Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Nicodemus Dumps posted:

Frankly, in a better world more ceos would be subject to constant scrutiny and mocking

Yeah, I think this is the key point here. The discourse has taken on a far friendlier cast every time Avanya's stepped in, even within the same thread; Mariina draws the fire she does because she's made a specific choice to do some Musk-style small business brain with big business title "you guys just don't get my business genius and the correctness of my vision" posting, complete with continuing WotWs that are defensive apologia to the exclusion of having progress updates, and I think the most demeaning reaction we could have to that is to assume she has no agency in what she's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

As someone who mostly lurks this thread to find out the state of the game I find the obsession over the word of the week to be bizarre. For the most part they say little of value, which makes the posts about them also have little value.

SC4 chat on the other hand is good stuff

Yeah, there is nothing particularly noteworthy about them except the whole "call from Sweden" thing was kinda funny. Leaves a feeling of people just wanting to dogpile on CO for any little thing at this point.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Popete posted:

Leaves a feeling of people just wanting to dogpile on CO for any little thing at this point.

I mean, they're not wrong to be pissed off at paying $60 for an early alpha of a broken game that probably should never have seen release at all.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean, they're not wrong to be pissed off at paying $60 for an early alpha of a broken game that probably should never have seen release at all.

Yes but these same goons are also presumably intelligent enough to understand Paradox pushed them to release in an unfinished state and CO is now left holding the bag. The CEO clearly didn't want to keep pushing out meaningless updates but it seems Paradox once again overruled them.

In any case if you are angry for wasting 60 bucks, it's your own fault when performance issues were know since before launch and sim problems discovered shortly after that. If you preordered the game and got hosed part of the issue is you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No argument there. Anyone who preorders anything deserves what they get, and very often gets what they deserve.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
I didn't really consider it a preorder though - I waited, watched a bunch of youtubers play it, read these forums ... and it looked ok, at first ... ultimately I should have just held off *longer*.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is unforunately very par for the course with Paradox. They usually are pretty good about fixing their games up but it can take awhile. That's not to excuse them for releasing a buggy game but I'm not ready to write this off it'll probably still end up good.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

MikeC posted:

Yes but these same goons are also presumably intelligent enough to understand Paradox pushed them to release in an unfinished state and CO is now left holding the bag. The CEO clearly didn't want to keep pushing out meaningless updates but it seems Paradox once again overruled them.

In any case if you are angry for wasting 60 bucks, it's your own fault when performance issues were know since before launch and sim problems discovered shortly after that. If you preordered the game and got hosed part of the issue is you.

I kind of disagree, people are allowed to be mad about their purchase. While I see your point, every time they have fixed something it reveals something else that is broke. They told people to refund if they didn’t like the sim aspect, but no one knows if the sim aspect is even working right.

There is no roadmap, list of issues or even like a plan going forward other than they are working on it. Especially contrasted against other bad and good launches, this is pretty bad.

Tons of studios have had bad launches.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I still maintain that putting one or three people on low hanging fruit bugfix duty and pushing out a release each tuesday would have completely turned around public perception.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Popete posted:

This is unforunately very par for the course with Paradox. They usually are pretty good about fixing their games up but it can take awhile. That's not to excuse them for releasing a buggy game but I'm not ready to write this off it'll probably still end up good.

I held out with thinking like this for a long time, but I admit that at this point I'd be happy to take bets against it ever ending up good. In fact I think it's 50% probable Paradox just pulls the plug on it after 2 or 3 disappointingly-selling DLCs.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

I still maintain that putting one or three people on low hanging fruit bugfix duty and pushing out a release each tuesday would have completely turned around public perception.

Yeah, I knew I was rolling the dice to some degree buying shortly after a Paradox launch but my choice was driven by:
- Usually there's a trickle of weekly/biweekly fixes to weightings, and in launch condition until people hit lategame it wasn't clear that the problem was "systems are just wildly broken" rather than "some things are weighted wrong".
-- As an aside, usually the least interesting part of a Paradox game is the endgame, and that's where bad weightings really show up. In C:S2 the endgame's the part that starts to be interesting, so you can't salvage some enjoyment like you could say launch Vicky3 with its iffy handling of endgame resources/GP diplomacy and warfighting by playing a 50-year scenario with a minors or major.
- More importantly, if the devs don't fix glaring issues modders will take a stab. And mods slipped from "should be this weekend" to "idk hopefully next year if all goes well?" just around when that 14-day Steam window closed.

The last one's especially irking, as it was an actual timetable that just got blown completely.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

This would be a good idea. Stellaris (also associated with Paradox) has a custodial team that solely works on existing gameplay balances and fixes, and their updates are usually more exciting than the expansion content.

Of course, when I think about whether this model would work for CO, I remember the Industries DLC bug in which building a warehouse would cause dozens of trucks to arrive and cause a months long traffic jam. This took years for them to fix, if I recall.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I know some people feel it's a radical proposition but I actually think if people preorder something they are entitled to a finished product that, at least in the broad strokes, matches what was promised.

Like yes it's prudent to avoid pre-ordering for sure, but the onus is not on the consumer here!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I play some Vintage Story to relax after a stressful workday and the volume and frequency of stuff being done in that game is hilarious to compare to CS2: https://www.vintagestory.at/blog.html/

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

I know some people feel it's a radical proposition but I actually think if people preorder something they are entitled to a finished product that, at least in the broad strokes, matches what was promised.

Like yes it's prudent to avoid pre-ordering for sure, but the onus is not on the consumer here!
Absolutely. Despite the whole "fool me once" etc they should still be held accountable for their promises.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Has anyone considered filing a complaint with the BBB? Or filing a lawsuit for false advertising?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I do think people are being weird about the word of the week and I imagine there's probably some tone-of-voice lost in typing up updates in English and not Finnish.

But then again what else is there to post about? I've been listening to the SC4 soundtrack while playing timberborn?

How mods end up releasing I think will be the make-or-break. That'll be a hard landing to stick but will at least buy them some time.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jyrraeth posted:

But then again what else is there to post about? I've been listening to the SC4 soundtrack while playing timberborn?
If the game is boring/bad and there are no meaningful updates, the obvious course of action is to... not post anything. Let the thread die until there's something to say.

I've got the thread bookmarked in case there are any developments, and people going on about every word of the week is... well, it's easy to scroll past so it's whatever, but I don't get why anyone's bothering.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I'm with you OP, it's super weird that people on a games forum post about the game they paid $60 for and express some frustration that the game they were promised continues to be about as deliverable as Star Citizen. I don't get it either.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hey, sorry I didn't pop back in sooner.

It's fine to discuss the game, and to discuss the WotW, and to bitch, complain, joke around, whatever. But there's a bit of a vibe about the way some posters talk about that one employee in particular and I'd like it if the talk was more 'ugh the devs suck' and less 'Mariina sounds bored', if you get what I mean? Just a fixation on this one person that comes through in a way I find a bit disquieting. No big deal, not accusing anyone of anything. But let's shift the conversation a bit if we can, so it doesn't get weird.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I'm with you OP, it's super weird that people on a games forum post about the game they paid $60 for and express some frustration that the game they were promised continues to be about as deliverable as Star Citizen. I don't get it either.
Obsessing over the developers' every word is not posting about how terrible the game is. There were some interesting posts a while back about youtubers coming out and making GBS threads on the game at last and that was something at least.

I mean, people can do what they want. If people want to just keep feeling anger about this game every week, go ahead? I was responding to someone asking what else there was to post about. Simply not posting about this game is an option. Posters haven't gotten their own phone call from Sweden forcing them to keep engaging.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
hold on I'm getting a phone call from +46...

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

let's make a simcity thread :twisted:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Already is one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902492

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

let's make a simcity thread :twisted:

Are there any goon compiled mod packs (last I remembered modders flipped out because..modders) for an easy modded playthrough or is there a lot of dependency hell?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Minenfeld! posted:

Has anyone considered filing a complaint with the BBB? Or filing a lawsuit for false advertising?

ah yes, the better business bureau, known for a. actually having any power and b. having any imaginary power over finland registered companies

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I filed my own reports against them with TripAdvisor and Google Maps, so expect lots of changes.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Bed Bath and Beyond is going to crush Colossal Order.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
after preordering the game (because i am evil and dumb) i tried and tried to get into cs2 last year but ultimately i just gave up and went back to cs1 (which means i shouldn't be posting about it so please don't read this). the combination of a lack of basic detailing (why no tree line tool style functionality in vanilla for example) and also the lack of building variety and terrible vanilla maps has killed it for me for now. the mods that are already available in the thunderstore are leagues better than anything you could get in the early months of cs1 modding, so the future of modding looks very promising to me. but i'd rather wait until we can get custom assets before playing more.

this whole debacle is a great reminder of why i never want to work in the games industry lol. if you gently caress up you'll spend at least a year as the target of death threats and other deranged behaviour. people will accuse you of lying to make themselves and others feel more angry at you, people will engage in revisionism to make themselves and others feel more angry at you (apparently simcity 2013 had less launch issues, keep dreaming lol). people will deliberately misread anything you say so they can rage about it. not to mention people telling you that amateur modders will simply 'fix' issues with your game that supposedly your own devs can't do. just overall insane obsession and toxicity from people who have decided you are the enemy, nothing you can say will make anything better. also just insane expectations of how people should be working to serve them? one thing that made me laugh in the early days of the post launch dev diaries was that the author said there would be a patch 'late next week' and someone replied 'does this mean you're not working over the weekend to fix bugs????'.

not that the devs (and the publisher) are blameless obviously. had this game been launched in early access (idk if paradox do this btw) expectations would have been significantly different (although people in the ksp2 steam reviews seem to have decided that EA should be a finished game somehow). their comms have been pretty bad and i wonder if this partly because they've never had to manage a crisis before. the very direct style of finnish communication hasn't helped ofc. my reading is they've had very ambitious goals for the game simulation but this proved unachievable given the constraints they face. unachievable due to the limitations of both dev time available allowed by the publisher, but also timing in terms of the features unity has available (thinking back to the workarounds they implemented). and maybe even available computing power in 2023? it seems now they may have scaled the game back too far the other way tbh so now everything is a bit hosed? it just seems like they've made this massive blackbox and they're not sure why stuff is acting like it is. hopefully bugfixes and balancing will help at least partially revive things.

i'm optimistic about the game's future but it seems we're a long way off any kind of maturity unfortunately. looking forward to them putting actual quays in when we get the ports dlc next quarter though :)

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

what a sane take, I appreciate

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Speaking of Words of the Week, there's another one today, and the reason why I'm compelled to post it is because they straight up say:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-14.1625153/

quote:

How do you plan to get out of this mess? / What is in the works to fix Cities: Skylines II? / What will you do to set things right for the disaster launch of CS2?
We’d much rather be in a different position than we are in at the moment, but we cannot change the past. We’re working very hard to catch up on the missing modding support, missing platforms, the content for the Ultimate Edition, and improving the performance and fixing bugs this year. The team is divided to work on different tasks so that we’re seeing progress on all fronts and while it might not feel that it’s fast enough I can assure you we are all doing the best we can. Only time will tell if this is enough to turn things around.

There have also been many questions about the patch cadence and why we moved away from weekly patches. Weekly patches are too heavy for us to keep up with and the issues we are working on need more time than just a few hours or days to fix. We’re a small team of 30 developers and we have to plan the work in a way that creates the fastest results. So instead of spending a big part of the week working on the build deliveries and QA rounds, we can use that time to work on the fixes themselves. For the Ultimate Edition, the DLCs already have a rough schedule so we’ll have good opportunities to patch the game at the same time. This doesn’t mean that we never patch the game between the DLC releases. The goal is to improve the game as quickly as possible and when we have a solid patch ready and tested it will be released.

We are aware we have a mountain to climb when it comes to delivering on the expectations but we have our ice picks ready and we are surely used to the cold. We're going to keep on climbing and you'll continue to see that progress in the game.

and on modding:

quote:

Why wasn’t modding support available at release?
The biggest regret we have is that modding support is not yet available for the game. We have been working on it since the beginning of the project and the intent was to have it fully ready at release. Code modding support, map, and asset editing were all planned to be fully usable and mods shareable in one place. We still believe that offering modding support makes any game better and that the tools and mods should be available for all players to enjoy at no additional cost.

During the project we faced, and still continue to face, technical difficulties that affect the speed and quality of the development, especially performance. We simply ran out of time as the focus had to shift from modding support to all hands on deck to fix the performance. All this work is still ongoing.

We’ll be communicating more on the status of the modding soon. It’s not an ideal situation but we are committed to keep working on this part of the game because it means so much to you and to us. “A Colossal Order game is a moddable one” is a promise we have made to ourselves years ago and work very hard to keep.

I think this is the first time they've come out and said things aren't in a great state and they need to do better, kind of relieving to finally see.

There's also a few other things in there I didn't post if you want to read for yourself. It seems like a different approach they're finally taking on communication.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Their processes must be in absolute shambles if it takes this much effort to release fixes.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Antigravitas posted:

Their processes must be in absolute shambles if it takes this much effort to release fixes.

Colossal Disorder

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For all the nice sounding words, and I cop to having become deeply cynical about CS2, what I just read about modding in particular amounts to "yeah we sure would LIKE to get full modding support done, but ehhhh I dunno when or if it's ever gonna."

It's actually a backing off from "definitely by end of 2024" to "TBD". Which is good insofar as it's more truthful, I guess.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

Weekly releases are a huge lift for any team as each release needs to be QAd, bugs fixed, QAd again, put through launch checklist review, then each build for all platforms all need to be pushed and checked, then distributed to first parties, patch notes written, documentation needs to be updated, and everything needs to be logged. Then you have to launch and then monitor and do live ops for a bit to make sure nothing else pops up.

Big companies have entire build management teams for this process. And while all the checks are going, no one can touch that build. So if you're doing weekly patches, it easily takes a day out of every 5 day work week to prep and ship a patch.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I guess they are being upfront about it but it really shines a spotlight on why they thought the game was ready for release in the first place, which they supposedly made the decision to release and it wasn't Paradox (questionable).

I really just want to know when/if the background simulation can work reasonably well. Modding/DLC is all well and good but if the simulation isn't working sensibly then none of that really matters to me.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Other projects manage to release small fixes in rapid succession. It's purely a process issue. See Warframe or Guild Wars 2 for examples with more players and higher complexity.

If a project can't have a few people do code cleanup and small bug fixes without interrupting larger feature work: Also a process issue.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Popete posted:

I guess they are being upfront about it but it really shines a spotlight on why they thought the game was ready for release in the first place, which they supposedly made the decision to release and it wasn't Paradox (questionable).

I really just want to know when/if the background simulation can work reasonably well. Modding/DLC is all well and good but if the simulation isn't working sensibly then none of that really matters to me.

Kinda feels like an either-or for me, either they get asset mods up and running ASAP and I can ignore the lovely simulation and build a fun looking city with actual variety, or they only get the simulation fixed/improved and I can ignore the lack of variety and concentrate on actual mechanics.

Unfortunately I have very little faith they have the know-how nor desire to improve the simulation design side, and definitely not in a timely manner. I do have more faith in the community to be able to workaround and patch things at least, so hoping the mods situation improves at least.

Antigravitas posted:

Other projects manage to release small fixes in rapid succession. It's purely a process issue. See Warframe or Guild Wars 2 for examples with more players and higher complexity.

If a project can't have a few people do code cleanup and small bug fixes without interrupting larger feature work: Also a process issue.

It's kinda funny reading their posts about their dev process, as a dev who has worked in SaaS for a while. They're talking about these long QA processes and different stages of development and such contributing to these months-long waits for patches.

Meanwhile in the SaaS space, we're all pushing releases to production every day, with more refined companies pushing changes to production as soon as they get merged. Automated testing, observability, etc., it's not all as possible with games as with SaaS, where you control the servers and data and can easily move forward and rollback and such, but surely there's something better they can be doing than taking months to release a single patch.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 26, 2024

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I realize this is probably a minority view but I really don't care about mods if the actual game simulation is broke. I want a fun working base game first and foremost and I really dislike the crutch of games having to rely on the community to "fix" them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Popete posted:

I realize this is probably a minority view but I really don't care about mods if the actual game simulation is broke. I want a fun working base game first and foremost and I really dislike the crutch of games having to rely on the community to "fix" them.

At this point I think the best hope for fixing the sim IS mods.