Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pants Donkey posted:

"They bought him off with a sword" feels like something a politician would do today so good to know we've always had this problem of easily swayed nerds.

To be fair, I'd be willing to do some poo poo for the sword Terry Pratchett forged to be knighted with, and I'm not even a politician

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pants Donkey posted:

"They bought him off with a sword" feels like something a politician would do today so good to know we've always had this problem of easily swayed nerds.
Will Jeb Bush ever retrieve the Sword of Chang from Marco Rubio?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Every Confederate state except South Carolina had at least one full regiment worth of unionists in one Union army or another. Secession ordinances in many cases were passed by minority votes marked by voter intimidation and outright violence against unionists and their sympathizers by the state militias, between whom and the slave patrols a Venn diagram would be close to just a circle. The idea of there being a united Southern dream of secession and independence is very much a wartime myth amplified by the Lost Causers.

Likewise, one of the better Union commanders was George Thomas, "The Rock of Chickamauga" and the only Army commander to completely destroy an enemy army; but because he was from Virginia, the Lost Causers saw him as the worst of traitors, and he was largely ignored in post-war histories.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Pants Donkey posted:

Well if it's an authentic Masamune

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

What a freaking title from the lady who couldn't make it ten weeks. :v: It's like an Always Sunny bit of dialogue. "Look, I got in, I got the title on my resume, why would I stick around with these losers?"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

skeleton warrior posted:

Likewise, one of the better Union commanders was George Thomas, "The Rock of Chickamauga" and the only Army commander to completely destroy an enemy army; but because he was from Virginia, the Lost Causers saw him as the worst of traitors, and he was largely ignored in post-war histories.

I would attribute the destruction of the Army of Tennessee more to the work Scofield did at Franklin than Thomas subsequently at Nashville, but I won't quibble he was one of the best, if at times slowest, field commanders the Union had, and largely absent from early histories of the war for the reason you cite.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Glad to learn something positive in this thread for once.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

In general the western front is heavily glossed over because the Confederates got absolutely destroyed constantly, unstoppably, and only the sheer size of the American South prevented complete collapse in the first year.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Byzantine posted:

In general the western front is heavily glossed over because the Confederates got absolutely destroyed constantly, unstoppably, and only the sheer size of the American South prevented complete collapse in the first year.

It certainly didn't help them that probably their best western field commander (Albert Sidney Johnson) got clipped early on at Shiloh, and absolutely didn't help them that Braxton Bragg didn't.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 23, 2024

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on chaos in the House of Commons – Confidence in the Commons speaker is crumbling over his handling of a vote on calling for a ceasefire in Gaza"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Odysseus becomes first private spacecraft to land on the Moon

Stephen Collins:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kellies Nomination: The Circus Is In Town

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

Wow.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

quote:

GOOGLE’S GEMINI AI IMAGE CREATOR CORRUPTS HISTORY
Cartoon published 02/23/2024

Google’s graphics generating AI program called “Gemini” caused quite a kerfuffle. As it turned out, Gemini put an emphasis on producing DEI, anti-white illustrations and lectured unsatisfied users.

Signed Prints Available!

Such anti-white racism is integral to the ‘woke,’ DEI propaganda being pushed by Democrats and the Marxist left. Biden is in alignment with this and he even said a minority of white people in America would be a ‘good thing.’ Why it would be a good thing he didn’t say. Apparently he’s trying to rush that ‘good thing’ by importing millions of non-white, low IQ illegal immigrants.

Like Ben’s Cartoons? Buy Ben A Virtual ‘Coffee’ Mmmmmm
Click to serve up a hot cup!

We at GrrrGraphics welcome the advent of AI illustrations. We see the AI programs as a tool and we intend to utilize them on occasion. There are many AI graphic-generating sites to choose from. Some refuse any input that is political in nature. Free speech is definitely limited on the Google program and we doubt that will change. Google may have intentionally gone overboard with their diversity and inclusion tactics. An Asian George Washington and black WWII German soldier attracts attention. They have our attention now. The question is, will they change and allow free speech? We somehow doubt it and if they don’t do it they will quickly lose the surge of users they attracted by the controversy.

Meanwhile, it sometimes takes a lot of words in the prompt in order to get close to what is envisioned. Precise and detailed descriptions are required. Sometimes a thousand words is worth a good picture, but In our opinion AI is not quite there yet. It will get there—probably sooner than later—and it will put a lot of illustrators out of business. That’s the consequence of AI everywhere—it will cost workers their jobs.

For Google’s ‘Gemini’ to get there, they’ll need to drop their DEI woke nonsense and allow free speech. Google has paused the image creator as they scramble to fix their woke mess.

— Ben Garrison

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe:

Knight:

Lethbridge:

Anthony Albanese should GIVE UP his Taylor Swift tickets for Sydney tonight: Politician says 'hand over your tickets to a Swiftie' (Daily Mail) (politician is deputy Liberal leader Sussan Ley).

Leak, Son of Leak:

Employment and workplace relations minister Tony Burke. Working from home could become a legal right for millions of Australian workers (news.com.au).

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I drew the little australian guy who loves windmills from memory and then looked up a picture of the man himself by googling "australian energy minister". Chris Bowens nose area is the only part that actually looks right when Leak draws him.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

I...I don't know where to start with this one.

I'm just going to give it a Kellies Nomination: Worst Overall and leave it at that, so I can stop looking at this one before my brain starts to hurt.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

JamesBont posted:

I...I don't know where to start with this one.

I'm just going to give it a Kellies Nomination: Worst Overall and leave it at that, so I can stop looking at this one before my brain starts to hurt.

Yeah it's a mess of least concealed bigotry and worst metaphor at the least. I don't know how I would characterize it other than "poo poo".

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ben Garrison posted:

Meanwhile, it sometimes takes a lot of words in the prompt in order to get close to what is envisioned. Precise and detailed descriptions are required. Sometimes a thousand words is worth a good picture, but In our opinion AI is not quite there yet. It will get there—probably sooner than later—and it will put a lot of illustrators out of business. That’s the consequence of AI everywhere—it will cost workers their jobs.

For Google’s ‘Gemini’ to get there, they’ll need to drop their DEI woke nonsense and allow free speech. Google has paused the image creator as they scramble to fix their woke mess.

So Ben, noted person who draws for a living, reflects on machine imagining, concludes that it's actually a thing that requires real effort, and also it doesn't work, and also it will work and will put illustrators (like himself) out of business, but Google should do it, and also they should let people prompt whatever dumb or illegal images are in their head, but also they shouldn't let their AI make images of non-white people because Ben thinks that's woke.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

RoboRodent posted:

So Ben, noted person who draws for a living, reflects on machine imagining, concludes that it's actually a thing that requires real effort, and also it doesn't work, and also it will work and will put illustrators (like himself) out of business, but Google should do it, and also they should let people prompt whatever dumb or illegal images are in their head, but also they shouldn't let their AI make images of non-white people because Ben thinks that's woke.

:umberto:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Someone should tell Lester that the people struggling with college debt haven’t dressed like that in 15-20 years.

Lotta cartoonists not understanding that time never ceases, and your average millennial today is in their 30s.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Yeah it's a mess of least concealed bigotry and worst metaphor at the least. I don't know how I would characterize it other than "poo poo".

Well, to be fair, Mike Lester does beat his wife.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Amjad Rasmi

Ann Telnaes

Bob Englehart

Bill Bramhall

Christopher Weyant

Clay Bennett

Darrin Bell

Kellies Nomination: Big Shoes to Fill

Dave Whamond

David Horsey

David M. Hitch

"I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. Is its pattern strange to you? Or would you know the weight and length of the strong coil you bear yourself?"

Dick Wright

Drew Sheneman

Drew Sheneman posted:

I had a reader point out that Biden isn’t as benign as he’s depicted above. That’'s certainly true, political cartoons are something of a blunt instrument. The few seconds of attention a cartoon demands doesn’t leave much room for subtlety. The larger point remains, however, the choice between the two frontrunners is stark, beware any source that tells you otherwise.

You have to give Donald Trump credit, through his years long effort to flood the news cycle with absolute nonsense he’s managed to change the way he’s covered by some of the media at large. If you had been cryogenically frozen in the mid eighties and subsequently thawed out at an early 2024 Trump rally, you’d wonder why security didn’t tackle the old man on stage talking about windmills causing cancer. Trump is such an unrelenting fire hose of bravado, lies and conspiracy based grievances the people covering him on a daily basis have become somewhat numb to it. If Biden slips up and forgets a name it’s a trending news item, if Trump mistakes Nikki Haley for Nancy Pelosi for half an hour it’s just Trump being Trump.

I’m on record as saying both Biden and Trump are too old for the most demanding job on Earth, and it’s absolutely essential to report on their respective fitness for the office, but we seem to be holding the candidates to different standards. Only one of these men has pledged to be “dictator for a day” post inauguration and how we frame the upcoming election should reflect that.

Ed Gamble

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

idonotlikepeas posted:

Drew Sheneman

Hey. Hey Drew. Do you think there might be another reason people don't like Biden other then age? I know Democrats decided that rape wasn't actually that bad when Joe Biden decided to run but "It's fine to help another country carry out their genocide" is gonna be a bit more difficult to sell.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Jeff Danziger

Jeff Koterba

Jeff Stahler

Jimmy Margulies

Lee Judge

Lisa Benson

Matt Davies

Mike Smith

NEMØ

Kellies Nomination: Worst Cartoon About a Tragedy

Pedro X. Molina

Phil Hands

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

idonotlikepeas posted:

NEMØ

Kellies Nomination: Worst Cartoon About a Tragedy

Lira's wikipedia page to save some time. The man was a Chilean fringe writer whose greatest claim to fame was involvement in the creation of the original Soldier of Fortune game. He then went through various grift spheres and conspiracy theories along the usual path- alt-right manosphere redpill poo poo and antivaxxer social media influencer, before he wound up in Ukraine spreading Russian propaganda.

I'd really like to know who this rear end in a top hat is. He supposedly got started freelancing for Canadian newspapers in 2006...he supposedly was at the Montreal gazette, but I can find no trace of him in what archives I can access.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 24, 2024

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

This mf said CRIMB

Also, I feel like Gamble's only way of making something seem threatening is to give them a crime suitcase. Look at that guy, he's so mellow looking!

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 24, 2024

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Are those meant to be children?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Hospital posted:

This mf said CRIMB

Also, I feel like Gamble's only way of making something seem threatening is to give them a crime suitcase. Look at that guy, he's so mellow looking!

Mr. Crimb looks like a plumber. He's just there to fix the sink.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Tom the Dancing Bug feat. Donald and John by Ruben Bolling

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Heliotrope posted:

Hey. Hey Drew. Do you think there might be another reason people don't like Biden other then age? I know Democrats decided that rape wasn't actually that bad when Joe Biden decided to run but "It's fine to help another country carry out their genocide" is gonna be a bit more difficult to sell.

Trump absolutely would continue the genocide and do so with gleeful abandon. It's not a choice where we get to choose between one person who supports it and one person who does not.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Heliotrope posted:

Take your donald the dove counterfactual exercise in motivated credulousness to the containment thread.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I sure do wish it wasn't in the ruling class's best interest to propagate the myth that crime is going up and being committed primarily by the poor. It'd be nice to see some coverage of objective loving reality for once which is the opposite of crime going up and being committed primarily by the poor.

(mind you they did get a break with the pandemic, a thing that always increases the crime rate and the predictable thing happened once it ended/we stopped caring)

Discendo Vox posted:

Take your donald the dove counterfactual exercise in motivated credulousness to the containment thread.
Dude, not getting in publicly obnoxious wars was like the one thing Trump was good at

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 24, 2024

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

The Islamic Shock posted:

Dude, not getting in publicly obnoxious wars was like the one thing Trump was good at

Not due to lack of trying. He tried so hard to start a war.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Discendo Vox posted:

donald the dove

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Islamic Shock posted:

Do you think he would do anything to stop what is going on in Gaza?

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
In political comic lore news I do appreciate that the real form of Donald’s imaginary publicist is a wad of bills. That’s a Watterson touch that I don’t think of much but is really charming to see.

As opposed to artless flying coyotes, Stantis.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Lira's wikipedia page to save some time. The man was a Chilean fringe writer whose greatest claim to fame was involvement in the creation of the original Soldier of Fortune game. He then went through various grift spheres and conspiracy theories along the usual path- alt-right manosphere redpill poo poo and antivaxxer social media influencer, before he wound up in Ukraine spreading Russian propaganda.

I'd really like to know who this rear end in a top hat is. He supposedly got started freelancing for Canadian newspapers in 2006...he supposedly was at the Montreal gazette, but I can find no trace of him in what archives I can access.

That cartoon is so all over the place, it's hard to take seriously. So Navalny and the Ukrainian government are 'neo-nazis', but the actual alt-right authoritarian sympathizer is a hero. Not sure what his angle is, even tankies don't usually contort themselves this much.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh he was involved with that game? I loved it and I feel dirty now. He couldn't have been that involved though since the bad guy was an Afrikaner white supremacist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

That post said nothing about Trump. It said that Biden may be unpopular due to the genocide he's supporting. Why are you misrepresenting the very post you quoted?

Dirk the Average posted:

Trump absolutely would continue the genocide and do so with gleeful abandon. It's not a choice where we get to choose between one person who supports it and one person who does not.

So the only way to stop the genocide is to let democrats know that we won't vote for them if they do genocide. Got it.

hooman fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 24, 2024