Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Eej posted:

Sisters get scaled down Space Marine gear. The backpacks are power packs and they contain a fusion reactor that powers their armour indefinitely. A great example of this is the Dawn of War 1 opening cinematic where the the sarge loses his pack and in combination with his wounds is visibly much slower as he climbs the hill.

I've watched this trailer more times than I can recall and I've never noticed how the Sgt loses his power pack to the explosion before he captures the point. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Super Waffle posted:

Ah hell my brother was rear ended the other day and all his models were in the car. Nearly every model broke or fell off it's base, 1k of Thousand Sons and a Kommando kill team

That sucks! I hope those were the only injuries

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I got some hoods

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I played against Sisters of Battle last night for the first time, and it was a great game. Their rules rule. They have a nice balance of toughness and numbers (most of their troops are essentially guardsmen in power armour), and gain bonuses when they suffer damage. The miracle dice are a really interesting mechanic, and are also powered by taking losses. The reliance on short-range shooting encourages situations where they are close enough to the enemy to take damage in melee (where most of them are not so great). The game ends up feeling like a really stubborn and intense struggle. GW seems to have a middling grasp of balance, but as a player who is mostly interested in the narratives and feel of battle, I really want to credit them for their skill at writing rules that feel thematically appropriate to the factions.

I played Custodes, and I only managed to extract a victory due to a lucky teleport/deep-strike with my Allarus that then made a charge into a squad of Paragon warsuits, then into the Triumph of St. Katherine on the next turn.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
If I wasn't 20 years behind on painting space marines I would absolutely start a Sisters army. My hands itch every time I see the combat patrol box. A friend managed to find a half assembled one for half price, and I'm so jealous.

Someone mentioned in the discussion about 30k artillery that the Solar militia fought on the moons of Saturn or something, and it got me thinking. Artillery would have insane range on low gravity planetoids. Quick napkin math suggests about 10x theoretical range on our moon. Though at the same time direct observation would be muck harder with the horizon being closer.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Sisters get scaled down Space Marine gear. The backpacks are power packs and they contain a fusion reactor that powers their armour indefinitely. A great example of this is the Dawn of War 1 opening cinematic where the the sarge loses his pack and in combination with his wounds is visibly much slower as he climbs the hill.

It's nice that it's acknowledged a bit in the newer fiction. I recall reading in a couple of novels where the poor marine gets screwed because his power pack got busted and the armour is now a deadweight.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

On the other hand the armor is also made of ceramic composite so it should be a lot lighter than you would imagine it to be.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the armor is made of the same stuff as popular mechanics said tank armor was made of in the late 80s and hasn't changed since

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Makes sense, a lot of the old space marine stuff is traced over weapons from the cold war era.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Improbable Lobster posted:

That sucks! I hope those were the only injuries

Just a little whiplash but yes unharmed. I'm wondering if he can claim the models as a loss for insurance purposes :v:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Super Waffle posted:

Just a little whiplash but yes unharmed. I'm wondering if he can claim the models as a loss for insurance purposes :v:

Psychic damage from rimming so many 1k sons can't be quantified sorry.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Z the IVth posted:

Better bring a glass of water!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Makes sense, a lot of the old space marine stuff is traced over weapons from the cold war era.

a real specific window, that last bloom of fulda gap theorycraft. it makes sense, it was made by wargamers, you know? so you get the gatling as the ultimate terminator weapon, and layered cerami-"te" as the ultimate armor, the ultimate rifle is a caseless carbine (but high recoil and explosive, so you know it's manly), they ride around in knockoff bradley transports, etc.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Super Waffle posted:

I was rear ended recently and they paid the replacement cost of some stuff in the car that was damaged, so they should pay for the models.
And if they're feeling whiplash make sure to go to a doctor to get that in paper, they should put aside some money for any potential medical costs related to the accident

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, the Sisters look pretty good even bare and only glued. I think I got the one with the skull display on a stick a little funky but that was learning how the glue works. Now I'm going to have to worry about where to store these things!!

neaden posted:

I was rear ended recently and they paid the replacement cost of some stuff in the car that was damaged, so they should pay for the models.
And if they're feeling whiplash make sure to go to a doctor to get that in paper, they should put aside some money for any potential medical costs related to the accident
Also, file a suit! My housemate got a 'pay off your credit cards AND fix your car up' settlement on top of his medical costs recently!

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
My gaming group in Toronto just expanded our calendar, so we've got every other Saturday for game days (we have 8 table AOS/40k capacity, and 4 table KT capacity) and now we're booking the off week Fridays as well.

I got challenged to a last minute game tonight by someone I took to the woodshed a few weeks ago, he wants a rematch! Definitely my favourite part of the hobby is these kinds of interactions, where people had a good time playing with you and want to do it again.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tangy Zizzle posted:

My gaming group in Toronto just expanded our calendar, so we've got every other Saturday for game days (we have 8 table AOS/40k capacity, and 4 table KT capacity) and now we're booking the off week Fridays as well.

I got challenged to a last minute game tonight by someone I took to the woodshed a few weeks ago, he wants a rematch! Definitely my favourite part of the hobby is these kinds of interactions, where people had a good time playing with you and want to do it again.

:thunk:
Out of context that sounds so wrong.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's 2024 and I've never been taken to the woodshed once my entire life. What am I missing out on?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

I've been using that phrase since I was a teenager and I'm just realizing how region/career specific it must be.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

It's 2024 and I've never been taken to the woodshed once my entire life. What am I missing out on?

wood in a shed

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Cooked Auto posted:

I smashed him, I don't know how much clearer I can be. I beat his whole army off really quickly

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

How many men did you beat off behind the shed?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Is urine stored in the progenium gland?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Z the IVth posted:

Ugh, tastes like ash

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Quick job on a elf juggalo

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I think I'm going to stick with Primaris marines for all my conversions from here on out tbh.

Anyway I managed to finish most of my MKIII marines; I did 5x according to the instructions, 5x with the listed set of arms/weapons passed onto the adjacent marine body so as to create some different stances, and then just kitbashed a bunch of poo poo onto the 10x other dudes like some melee and heavy weapons for some rule of cool. I was saving my Goliath bits for a custom World Eaters kill team but ended up saying gently caress it since I was running out of extra arm combinations for my Iron Warriors.

In my haste I forgot to leave some legs disconnected so I could attempt to make some robot legs. I used Tamiya extra thin so I figured I wouldn't be able to disconnect any legs but one just popped off a moment ago after picking it up wrong so :shrug:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hooray, I finished the Battle Sisters squad assembly! I also accidentally cut a piece off a Sister Repentia. Oops!

I'm curious for the Seraphim Squad.

First, I have six clear plastic mounts, and five seraphims. Do I just have an extra in case, like how I've realized they give me my choice of heads?

Second, is there some trick to keep the clear plastic from getting caked in primer when it's priming time, or is that part of the fun?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
You just don't prime those clear bits. Glue them on afterwards.

e: If you've already glued them, just wrap them in painter's tape when you prime.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

You just don't prime those clear bits. Glue them on afterwards.

e: If you've already glued them, just wrap them in painter's tape when you prime.

if you don't have painter's tape, you can cover them in blu-tac or any other poster tac. basically anything you don't mind getting paint on and can peel off easily when you're done.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I would also like to say before you continue painting your Seraphim if you plan to play Sisters there's a very simple hack you can do that will save you $60. If you buy an actual Seraphim box it comes with all the parts to make Seraphim with Handflamers or Inferno Pistols as well as Zephyrim. You can then just snip off the hands at the wrist of two of your Combat Patrol Seraphim and glue on Hand Flamers (or Inferno Pistols if you're feeling spicy) letting you upgrade your Combat Patrol squad instead of leaving them on stinky bolt pistols and then you can build your Seraphim box as Seraphim with Infernos Pistols or Zephyrim.

If you're just building for fun then you can ignore this part.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eej posted:

I would also like to say before you continue painting your Seraphim if you plan to play Sisters there's a very simple hack you can do that will save you $60. If you buy an actual Seraphim box it comes with all the parts to make Seraphim with Handflamers or Inferno Pistols as well as Zephyrim. You can then just snip off the hands at the wrist of two of your Combat Patrol Seraphim and glue on Hand Flamers (or Inferno Pistols if you're feeling spicy) letting you upgrade your Combat Patrol squad instead of leaving them on stinky bolt pistols and then you can build your Seraphim box as Seraphim with Infernos Pistols or Zephyrim.

This took me a moment but basically this would mean I would end up with two Seraphim units with the good guns for the price of one Seraphim unit which I would scavenge for bits.

I had someone explain the science of plastic glue to me which also let me realize that wait, this part I chopped off accidentally on a Battle Sister... can just be reattached! At worst, it'll look weirdly shaped when I prime and paint.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nessus posted:

This took me a moment but basically this would mean I would end up with two Seraphim units with the good guns for the price of one Seraphim unit which I would scavenge for bits.

I had someone explain the science of plastic glue to me which also let me realize that wait, this part I chopped off accidentally on a Battle Sister... can just be reattached! At worst, it'll look weirdly shaped when I prime and paint.

If you want further ideas, the Sisters community has some very motivated people making helpful posts for people just starting out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sistersofbattle/wiki/newplayerguide/

https://www.reddit.com/r/sistersofb...web2x&context=3

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Decided for my Emperor's Spears KT, that the one 'Guy with Bolter & Knife' looked too generic, remembered Reivers have a similar loadout, and decided to lean into the idea. Just thought it looked dope enough to share!

The full KT now:

Next up - Airbrushing Alaitoc Blue all over, then Hoeth Blue on anything vaguely upward facing!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Geisladisk posted:

Quick job on a elf juggalo

whoop whoop

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Demilich posted:

In my haste I forgot to leave some legs disconnected so I could attempt to make some robot legs. I used Tamiya extra thin so I figured I wouldn't be able to disconnect any legs but one just popped off a moment ago after picking it up wrong so :shrug:

Sometimes the solvent flows around the edge of the part and just bonds the edge rather than the centre. Particularly if you capillaried the glue in rather than applying to the entire surface.

A nice surprise when you're prying apart an eBay rescue. Less so when it's one of your own models.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Eej posted:

This is a good idea, just wanted to mention you can get a similar hack if you have a Battle Sisters box. They give you more special weapons than you can use, so you can salvage the extra bits of meltaguns and flamers to convert Seraphim bolt pistols into inferno pistols and flame pistols. You cut the clip and barrel off the bolt pistol and attack the special weapon barrel and ammo.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/25/sunday-preview-old-world-reinforcements-and-the-army-of-the-solar-auxilia/

If you're looking for some new proxy Leman Russes the Solar Auxilia box goes up for pre-order next weekend, so might want to check ebay for any parted out sales.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/25/sunday-preview-old-world-reinforcements-and-the-army-of-the-solar-auxilia/

If you're looking for some new proxy Leman Russes the Solar Auxilia box goes up for pre-order next weekend, so might want to check ebay for any parted out sales.

Those new Apothecaries are amazing :kstare:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Z the IVth posted:

Sometimes the solvent flows around the edge of the part and just bonds the edge rather than the centre. Particularly if you capillaried the glue in rather than applying to the entire surface.

A nice surprise when you're prying apart an eBay rescue. Less so when it's one of your own models.

I slathered it on though!

Professor Shark posted:

Those new Apothecaries are amazing :kstare:

Hell yeah they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Legion Damnatorum Ferrus Manus by Algerothen (insta link)

It's so drat impressive