Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://apple.news/AEALyAixVSruXrUZQIXYb8A
(Verge)

quote:

Walmart might buy Vizio to win the fight over cheap TVs

Walmart is in talks to buy Vizio’s TV business for $2 billion, according to The Wall Street Journal, and could use it to gain an advantage over Roku and Amazon’s Fire TV.

Surprised they're actually thinking of acquiring a manufacturer to replace their joke house brand offering Onn, instead of contracting out.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

We're looking at this model of Roku TV. It looks... fine? Anything we should be aware of or watch out for with regards to it or similar? Or is there a different model we should be looking at?

Mister Facetious posted:

TCL and Hisense have Roku options.

I've never heard of TCL, but I think I've seen Hisense before. How are those brands as far as quality is concerned? Like are there recurring problems to watch out for? Actually, is the one I linked either of those brands? AFAICS the above is just a Roku brand TV?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TCL is a good and solid budget TV. I know quite a few people who are more than happy with them.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

We're looking at this model of Roku TV. It looks... fine? Anything we should be aware of or watch out for with regards to it or similar? Or is there a different model we should be looking at?

I've never heard of TCL, but I think I've seen Hisense before. How are those brands as far as quality is concerned? Like are there recurring problems to watch out for? Actually, is the one I linked either of those brands? AFAICS the above is just a Roku brand TV?

TCL and Hisense are both solid for the price point. Some of them use Roku as their Smart TV interface. Honestly didn't even know Roku made their own TVs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Roku is probably using tcl or hisense as an oem partner, like Amazon with their Fire TV Omni lines.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

i got a sony tv on black friday and lately google assistant keeps activating while im watching stuff and pausing the video. how do i completely disable it?

i have denied microphone access to everything in apps, even when it warned me about it.

i have taken the batteries out of the remote and observed that it still occurs. i thought it might be a button press issue.

i put the tv in apps only mode.

i think i have told google not to listen for voice commands.

any ideas?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Disable bluetooth and the mic on the remote won't work. If the TV came from Costco (model will have C in the model, i.e. A80CL instead of A80L) there is also a physical switch on the TV itself to disable the mic. Your remote will need to be pointed at the receiver on the TV if bluetooth is disabled, so keep that in mind if you have something like a soundbar blocking it.

E: hmm it sounds like the mic on the TV itself is picking it up. If you can't find a physical switch on the TV to disable it, try this

Settings, Privacy, Google Assistant, Voice control, disable the hands-free mic setting. If that doesn't work, PM me with the exact model no of the TV.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 16, 2024

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Bloodplay it again posted:

If the TV came from Costco (model will have C in the model, i.e. A80CL instead of A80L) there is also a physical switch on the TV itself to disable the mic.

Wait what? Is there a typical location because I didn't not know this was a thing

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mister Facetious posted:

https://apple.news/AEALyAixVSruXrUZQIXYb8A
(Verge)

Surprised they're actually thinking of acquiring a manufacturer to replace their joke house brand offering Onn, instead of contracting out.
Vizio's slowly become an overpriced, bloated, mess of a brand so going to Walmart wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to them.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

Wait what? Is there a typical location because I didn't not know this was a thing

80/90/95 J/K/L all have them located on the left-hand side (assuming you are facing the screen) below the bottommost HDMI port. It is a physical switch you slide to kill the mic connection internally.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

SONY KD-55X85K. not from costco.

it does not have a physical mic mute button on the bottom next to the menu button.

i have google assistant disabled, which is why im frustrated i see this thing at all.

without pushing google assistant button it would come up unprompted and say "not avalabile on this account yet."

if i push the remote button it simply pauses the movie briefly.

ive tried stuff here:
https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/articles/00225730

i dont have 'hands free mic' option and i do have google play store set to update apps anytime but there is no setting or update available.

talkback in accessibility is disabled.

following your suggestion i disabled bluetooth on the remote. now if i push google assistant it says " the microphone on the remote control is not available. turn on bluetooth function to enable it."

ill update if this resolves it.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

nope. didnt fix it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

What's doubly weird is that assistant isn't available at all with apps only mode enabled, so, regardless of the bluetooth or privacy settings, it shouldn't be able to trigger/function. You've already checked for Play Store updates, so if the option still doesn't appear in settings, I am at a loss as to what to try besides a factory reset. Obviously, not preferrable because then you have to set everything up again.

You could also check the support section on the TV and call Sony. They can remote into the TV, but your guess is as good as mine regarding how long it would take or how helpful it would be. Probably would go faster if it happens frequently or you can play media that regularly triggers it. Sounds frustrating as hell and I'm sorry I can't give you any other tips.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

I mostly use plex and that's where i mostly notice it. I wonder if it's a plex thing or a whole TV thing. maybe plex is calling google assistant.

maybe if i watch netflix i can determine if it's an app issue or a whole TV issue, and since i've already scoured the TV settings i can go digging in plex settings now.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Walmart going ahead with its acquisition of Vizio.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, thread. My crappy 50in Haier is starting to poo poo the bed. When I turned it on the last couple of mornings, the screen was super dim, to the point where I almost couldn't tell it was on. It seems like the backlight might be going? I got the thing like a decade ago for $300 from a local place called Dirt Cheap TV that exclusively sold refurb A/V equipment until it went out of business one day when I blinked. I'm looking to replace the thing with something of at least comparable quality and size. We used that TV mostly for watching shows and movies, as well as playing games on the Switch. The vast majority of the time, it was on as background noise for our dog, who otherwise goes stir crazy if she doesn't have some noise to fall asleep to. We don't have cable; We currently use a Roku for streaming, and we'd be open to getting a Roku TV if they're worth it. Budget-wise, we're looking ~$300, give or take. I see Best Buy has a whole page for TVs under $500.

What would you guys recommend?

A few weeks ago I got a budget (Hisense 50" Class - A65K Series - 4K UHD LED LCD TV Item 9050065 Model 50A65K) from Costco for $239 (now $259) for a spare bedroom tv replacement and it's good enough. I use it with a Nvidia Shield TV Pro box though, not the built in garbage.

https://www.costco.com/Hisense-50%22-Class---A65K-Series---4K-UHD-LED-LCD-TV.product.9050065.html

That being said, I also vouch for the lil' $20 Walmart Onn 4k streamer box which I use for a "garage tv" that somehow is snappier and loads and runs YouTubeTV and other apps faster than the 10x expensive Nvidia Shield TV Pro. :iiam:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Google-TV-4K-Streaming-Box/2835618394?povid=ETS_onn_POV_GoogleStreaming

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

kri kri posted:

Wait for a superb owl oled sale

Completely forgot to do this. When’s the next big sale gonna be? Still considering the 65” LG C3, for context.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Completely forgot to do this. When’s the next big sale gonna be? Still considering the 65” LG C3, for context.

You might be able to sneak in a last minute President's Day sale that just wrapped up yesterday

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The 77" Samsung OLED I got for $1800 is a drat great TV.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Best Buy has the LG C3 for $1480 right now, which is like a 7.5% savings. Eh.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
If anyone has a newish LG and doesn't use an external box for an interface there is a new webbos beta that's pretty snappy and nice.

https://bgr.com/tech/if-you-have-one-of-these-lg-oled-tvs-its-about-to-get-a-major-upgrade/

I'm hoping the next appletv or something else does AV1 decoding sometime in the next year or so but if webbos pisses me off enough I'll get one before then.

The new version seems to double or triple responsiveness and is less flakey, I recommend it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm super annoyed by my Shield keep grabbing my AVR's input everytime I switch to my PS5. I have to hit the switch button like a dozen times. I even turned off everything CEC on the Shield (which gently caress you Shield) and it persists.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

GreenNight posted:

I'm super annoyed by my Shield keep grabbing my AVR's input everytime I switch to my PS5. I have to hit the switch button like a dozen times. I even turned off everything CEC on the Shield (which gently caress you Shield) and it persists.

I only stopped this problem by putting it on a manual HDMI switch. I say stopped but it STILL sometimes turns the tv back on even when I'm done with whatever other thing I'm using or just turns on with the tv even though it's not selected because it gets some HDMI CEC signals even when it's not the spot selected by the HDMI switch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

What pisses me off even more is that this never happened with my LG OLED. Just started with the Samsung.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Sort of weird issue, but I have an LG 50in (I'm not at home and so I don't have the model on-hand) that has my shield tv pro box and a computer hooked up to it. When I change inputs, the TV turns off. Once I turn it on, it's on the switched input. But this is annoying. Is there a setting to change this? I can get the model of tv later today

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

GreenNight posted:

What pisses me off even more is that this never happened with my LG OLED. Just started with the Samsung.

HDMI CEC is handled differently by different TVs and OSes and is a mess in general. My Sony X900F is the same way as your Samsung just with the added bonus that HDMI Arc straight up didn't work for like over a year (til like the android tv 8 or android tv 9 or whatever OS Update magically fixed it)

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

GreenNight posted:

You can buy HDMI pass-thru adapters without the CEC pin; I had to do that for a device that kept breaking ARC to my receiver. Works perfectly.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

UncleButts posted:

You can buy HDMI pass-thru adapters without the CEC pin; I had to do that for a device that kept breaking ARC to my receiver. Works perfectly.

Don't I then have to run a separate audio cable so that my surround system works with the shield?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Also at least in my case I like having CEC active from a "my tv remote can control my shield tv" sense.

It's just nice to have play and pause, etc buttons since I am stuck with the old old shield tv voice remote that only has ok,.back, voice remote, and a very sensitive volume slider.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GreenNight posted:

Don't I then have to run a separate audio cable so that my surround system works with the shield?
No, CEC is on pin 13 independent of everything else. Audio is embedded in the blanking intervals of the video signal.

You might be thinking of ARC which runs on pin 14 and IIRC there were some early cables that lacked the pin because it wasn't previously required.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Set up a slickdeals alert or something, dunno I don’t follow tv sales really I just know it’s Super Bowl and blacks Friday

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."

kri kri posted:

Set up a slickdeals alert or something, dunno I don’t follow tv sales really I just know it’s Super Bowl and blacks Friday

The C4s are slated to come out sometime in March so you might see some clearance sales in a few weeks. I’d keep an eye out, you just missed Super Bowl and President’s Day sales

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

wolrah posted:

No, CEC is on pin 13 independent of everything else. Audio is embedded in the blanking intervals of the video signal.

You might be thinking of ARC which runs on pin 14 and IIRC there were some early cables that lacked the pin because it wasn't previously required.

You're right, thinking of ARC. I might be getting a CEC bypasser and dealing with having to use another remote. Bunch of BS.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass
It might also work to use CEC bypass on the PS5 instead of the shield box, assuming the behavior is caused by CEC interplay from both of those devices at once

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

UncleButts posted:

It might also work to use CEC bypass on the PS5 instead of the shield box, assuming the behavior is caused by CEC interplay from both of those devices at once

The problem is the TV. I had zero issues with all this stuff on my LG OLED. But nothing but issues with the Samsung OLED.

Was going to put the CEC bypass on the HDMI cable that goes from TV to receiver.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I admire Samsung’s commitment to being the worst at CEC for 15 years running.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's incredibly frustrating. Why would I want to easily switch between inputs on my receiver

I can see this on some low end knock off brand TV but come on. poo poo is suppose to be premium.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I feel your frustration. Before some updates my Sony 900F worked 90% of the time then would randomly turn itself back on 30 seconds after I turned it off and other weird behaviors and in some ways that was more annoying than it just not working at all. All my stuff works now and I’m loath to change anything about my system.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

qirex posted:

I admire Samsung’s commitment to being the worst at CEC for 15 years running.

Their HDMI Arc isn't much better. Anytime there's a power outage or if it got unplugged my parent's UN60F7100 suddenly forgets that there's a sound bar hooked up to it.

Though I guess that could be the sound bar just not turning on/ignoring the turn on command for some reason.

qirex posted:

I feel your frustration. Before some updates my Sony 900F worked 90% of the time then would randomly turn itself back on 30 seconds after I turned it off and other weird behaviors and in some ways that was more annoying than it just not working at all. All my stuff works now and I’m loath to change anything about my system.

Sup fellow "Why is my X900F so weird with HDMI-CEC/crashing on boot?" buddy.

I eventually realized it was some mix of HDMI CEC and the shield being controlled by the TV remote that would always do it in if it had been off for awhile. If it was in a different input from the shield TV it'd usually not crash.

Firmware updates seemed to have fixed it and my broken HDMI Arc last year. Hears hoping it stays fixed.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Do all TVs basically come with ads built in that are non-removable? I’m talking about even the “non-intrusive” ones like top selling movies and just added!