Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Can you actually destroy tanks if you shoot the weak spot on the back of the turret with small arms? I always used explosives or railgun but if you can destroy it with small arms too, that's surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just bail and don't try to kill tanks because they're boring and unfun to fight. You can hit the vents with an AMR though and it seems to do things.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

jokes posted:

I definitely think that armor penetration should be expanded. Like, it seems they want to put 3 classes of armor Light/Medium/Heavy and classify parts of enemies at those armor levels, they should flatten the curve so that a light AP weapon can do something. And the DMR really should be medium AP.

I think that shotguns should also get more AP if you're close.

In a perfect world, having the right tools for the job makes the job easier, rather than absolutely necessary. Then again, I think they want us to know that hitting the bricks is the most powerful stratagem in the game and killing enemies isn't as important as completing the job (much like how helldivers themselves aren't as important/useful as a completed objective).
There's definitely more to armour pen than Light/Medium/(presumably) Heavy, based on my anecdotal experience. For example the Breaker Spray & Pray will bounce off a Brood Commander's head, yet all the other "Light" penetration primaries (and secondaries) will penetrate their head just fine. Same with the AMR versus Striders, Hulk heads, and the heat vent weakpoints on tanks and turrets, as other "Med" penetration weapons do not damage those.

There also seems to be some element of damage reduction for armour that get penetrated, but presumably not fully. To use the Brood Commander* as an example again, I've shot quite a few of them now with the MG-43 and Stalwart, and the Stalwart takes like 3x or 4x as long to take a commander's head off compared to the MG-43, and the Stalwart certainly does not do 1/3rd or 1/4th the raw DPS of the MG-43. Also, while I have to check this one again because it's been a while since I tried the regular Liberator for this, it feels like the AP Liberator kills the Brood Commander to the head in less bullets compared to the regular Liberator, despite doing less damage per shot.

*I hate Brood Commanders

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

OGS-Remix posted:

Can you actually destroy tanks if you shoot the weak spot on the back of the turret with small arms? I always used explosives or railgun but if you can destroy it with small arms too, that's surprising.

Not sure about actual small arms but AC shots or incredibly lucky Eagle airstrike hits will to the back of the turret will take it out

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Im sure everyone knows but i did confirm the eye of sauron can be destroyed with the orbital laser

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

slicing up eyeballs posted:

my experience with the tesla tower was that it was a revolutionary tool for dealing with bot hordes followed by the realization that it's a giant bug zapper for fellow helldivers, they can't stay away. I love throwing out lil comments even when nobody else is using voice chat - they can still hear me because people will react or use the in game chirp - and no matter how hard I telegraph the tesla tower and how to stay safe, it deploys and someone gets zapped lol

On a(n) (un)lucky chain it can kill someone a Looong way away from the tower.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When I learned you can change the ROF on the MG, I learned that actually it is the most powerful weapon in the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I think armor pen needs to be upped for everything except chargers, tanks, hulks, etc. heavy armor should not be easily defeated and the fact that just shooting a tank with small arms does nothing is great. Like a Barret .50 does not do poo poo against a real tank and the AMR should not do anything to the tank in this. the laser cannon absolutely should do damage to heavy armor

The DMR, AMR, etc should all do way more to light/medium armor. Like it the AMR should shred devastators and the DMR should stagger and then drop them in successive shots. Though I think once the breaker is tuned down so that it is not a loving mid range solution the other guns will see more action, especially with buffs.

the scythe in HD1 was loving amazing and not needing ammo meant it was a huge part of endgame builds. I'm really hoping it gets buffed

I agree with your general sentiment but I just don't think medium armor is a big enough threat to make it worth prioritizing. If an AMR was meant to shred devastators, cool but at the same time everything can do that. You can just shoot them in the face so it's not nearly as important as being able to take out hulks and tanks. Imo a full magazine from an AMR should do about the same damage to heavy armor as a railgun shot, so at least it can serve as a less efficient solution than a railgun that can multitask better than a railgun. I feel like that's what would make it worth taking into battle.

Fajita Queen posted:

The autocannon in this game is such a satisfying weapon to use. It's like an explosive marksman rifle and it has so much fuckin ammo. The only times I feel like I need to switch off it are when I gently caress up and let stuff get really close to me, and then the breaker overwhelms anything fast enough to do that.

Yeah the autocannon is amazing. At least against bots. I never use it on bugs. It looks and sounds awesome and it can dispatch all of the automatons pretty easily, even tanks. Also yeah the ammo is super generous.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 23, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The AMR can very easily take out hulks if you shoot them in their behind. It just sucks that you have to use the gigantic sniper rifle that shoots explosive bullets like it's a DMR.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

jokes posted:

When I learned you can change the ROF on the MG, I learned that actually it is the most powerful weapon in the game.

What

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

jokes posted:

It chews through ammo so fuckin fast though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah it's definitely an ammo conservation question rather than anything else but it'll gently caress up a charger at max ROF.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

If you hold reload, some weapons have a sub menu with options you can change like ROF and scopes

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the autocannon is amazing. At least against bots. I never use it on bugs. It looks and sounds awesome and it can dispatch all of the automatons pretty easily, even tanks. Also yeah the ammo is super generous.

It feels amazing against bugs too, takes out any medium bugs smaller than a charger in 2-3 shots at most, with some splash to clear up the small stuff around it. It oneshots hunters and twoshots stalkers. Just be careful of friendly fire, especially on yourself.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

hiddenriverninja posted:

If you hold reload, some weapons have a sub menu with options you can change like ROF and scopes

Holy poo poo, thank you!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

what the gently caress

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Yeah if I'm using a stratagem slot on a weapon then it needs to be able to deal with heavy armour because nothing else in the game can do that.

If we had a primary that could chip away at heavy armour I might reconsider but right now I don't feel like I have any other options.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Kazinsal posted:

what the gently caress

It's how you overcharge the railgun. You have to set it from safe to unsafe on that menu

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kazinsal posted:

what the gently caress

You and me both, friend

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

what the gently caress
The game doesn't make a point to tell you this, but it does show it as one of the loading screen hints.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

CainFortea posted:

Did you try it on bots cause it's far better on bots than it is on bugs.
Bots are what I tried it on :(. ... I think anyway, I'll give it another shot.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I just had my first little poo poo murder me on the ramp of the dropship at the end.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It was accidental but last night me and a friend were wrapping up evac, I got slammed at the very end as the ship was coming down, buddy called a pod for me, and then immediately boarded the pelican. Climbed out of my pod as the thing flew off. Son of a bitch.

I did attempt to aim for the pelican with my hellpod, but unfortunately it passes through. Was really hoping I could ruin his day, too.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm not high enough to unlock the autocannon but I looted one and for some reason I was completely unable to reload it myself. I know it's supposed to be faster if someone else helps you reload but I thought you could kinda sorta do it on your own. Anyway I got to shoot it three times and then couldn't ever shoot again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I swear automatons purposely target the evac ramp because the amount of times I get thrown off it by a shockwave from a blast in their missions is way too frequent.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm not high enough to unlock the autocannon but I looted one and for some reason I was completely unable to reload it myself. I know it's supposed to be faster if someone else helps you reload but I thought you could kinda sorta do it on your own. Anyway I got to shoot it three times and then couldn't ever shoot again.

you have to have the backpack to reload it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

After fighting noting but bots for like the last 15+ ingame hours up to impossible, I jumped into extreme level bug mission and proceeded to get wrecked because fighting them is nothing like the bots. I hope the two unrevealed factions are just as different from each other but it seems hard to imagine.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

bird food bathtub posted:

Did you grab the ammo backpack for it too? You need that due to, you know, it having all the ammo for the Autocannon.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
If i don't see red on my reticule when I'm shooting something, am I doing no damage? Not seeing the ricochet symbol either.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Insert name here posted:

Did you grab the ammo backpack for it too? You need that due to, you know, it having all the ammo for the Autocannon.

Ah. Nope, didn't know you needed the backpack yourself to do the loading. Not really any time to get that sort of explanation when I'm pretty sure the AC was on some dead sucker's body and I grabbed it on the run with a horde of bugs behind me. Just grabbed it, blasted away a few times, then couldn't do anything else with it. Some day I'll unlock it and see if it's as cool as people say.

Right now I'm saving up and looking forward to the arc rifle. No I don't care if people say it sucks and it's not the min/max mathematically ideal weapon. I really enjoyed blasting away at a horde of bugs with it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Bad Munki posted:

I did attempt to aim for the pelican with my hellpod, but unfortunately it passes through. Was really hoping I could ruin his day, too.

I had a pubbie hit the dropship with their hellpod once, it killed me inside and bugged it so another player couldn't board to evac, we ended up losing something like 40 samples because of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Fajita Queen posted:

It feels amazing against bugs too, takes out any medium bugs smaller than a charger in 2-3 shots at most, with some splash to clear up the small stuff around it. It oneshots hunters and twoshots stalkers. Just be careful of friendly fire, especially on yourself.

Yeah this is why I don't use it on bugs. It's not that it doesn't work it's just kind of a suicide machine and there's plenty of other stuff that is good for bugs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I had a pubbie hit the dropship with their hellpod once, it killed me inside and bugged it so another player couldn't board to evac, we ended up losing something like 40 samples because of it.

Yup. do not drop your hellpod on the dropship right now. It can even cause the game to crash for everyone. We lost a whole missions worth of stuff the other night from the same thing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

jokes posted:

The AMR can very easily take out hulks if you shoot them in their behind. It just sucks that you have to use the gigantic sniper rifle that shoots explosive bullets like it's a DMR.
It can also kill hulks by shooting them in the eye(twice).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Insert name here posted:

There's definitely more to armour pen than Light/Medium/(presumably) Heavy, based on my anecdotal experience. For example the Breaker Spray & Pray will bounce off a Brood Commander's head, yet all the other "Light" penetration primaries (and secondaries) will penetrate their head just fine. Same with the AMR versus Striders, Hulk heads, and the heat vent weakpoints on tanks and turrets, as other "Med" penetration weapons do not damage those.

There also seems to be some element of damage reduction for armour that get penetrated, but presumably not fully. To use the Brood Commander* as an example again, I've shot quite a few of them now with the MG-43 and Stalwart, and the Stalwart takes like 3x or 4x as long to take a commander's head off compared to the MG-43, and the Stalwart certainly does not do 1/3rd or 1/4th the raw DPS of the MG-43. Also, while I have to check this one again because it's been a while since I tried the regular Liberator for this, it feels like the AP Liberator kills the Brood Commander to the head in less bullets compared to the regular Liberator, despite doing less damage per shot.

*I hate Brood Commanders

With many weapons it feels a lot faster to kill a a couple of the bug types by shooting off their two front legs instead of shooting them in the head

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Owl Inspector posted:

With many weapons it feels a lot faster to kill a a couple of the bug types by shooting off their two front legs instead of shooting them in the head
I definitely used to do this with the regular Liberator but Brood Commanders will still crawl after you, while the AP Liberator will definitely put it in the dirt with less than a mag to the head and the sooner those things are dead the better (Brood Commanders can summon warrior bugs at its location independent of bug breaches, because they're jerks)

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

can you supply yourself with the supply pack? that's my question.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

hey mom its 420 posted:

You can, by default it’s 5 on the keyboard.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

hey mom its 420 posted:

Yeah this is kind of the whole thing with the grenade launcher. It's got low ammo so bring a supply pack and never run out of grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

jokes posted:

Yeah it's definitely an ammo conservation question rather than anything else but it'll gently caress up a charger at max ROF.

The breaker only needs like 5-6 hits into the leg and the charger goes down, bonus points for being a primary weapon

Away all Goats posted:

After fighting noting but bots for like the last 15+ ingame hours up to impossible, I jumped into extreme level bug mission and proceeded to get wrecked because fighting them is nothing like the bots. I hope the two unrevealed factions are just as different from each other but it seems hard to imagine.

Illuminates are sort of like the starcraft protoss