Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

theultimo posted:

Doubt with an NA, they price a premium on the popup lights

It’s more expensive to paint popups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
A recently published study from Sweden's Chalmers Technical University with the catchy title "DOES ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE (AWD) ON PASSENGER CARS HAVE ANY SAFETY BENEFITS ON
ROADS COVERED WITH ICE OR SNOW? ANALYSIS OF REAL-WORLD CRASHES INVOLVING AWD CARS WITH ESC (ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL)" made the news recently. The answer is no, AWD is significantly more crashy than 2WD

quote:

The results for roads covered with ice or snow showed that injury crashes increased by 19-31% with AWD. Similar
results were found for head-on and single-vehicle crashes. No significant difference was found between Permanent
and Automatic AWD. On icy or snowy roads, AWD cars had a 13-15% higher impact severity than 2WD cars,
which corresponded to an 8-10% increase of impact speed for AWD cars. On dry or wet roads, no differences
were found between AWD and 2WD. Although based on a limited material, the survey indicated that AWD and
2WD cars had similar distributions of winter tires.
The results suggested that AWD may lead drivers to underestimate the level of available friction on icy or snowy
roads and therefore to drive at faster speeds than they would do with a 2WD car. Therefore it is recommended that
AWD should not be advertised as a safety feature. The necessity of fitting AWD on a wide range of car models
should be carefully reconsidered. AWD technologies should be further developed so that slippery road conditions
are not disguised by the increased traction provided by AWD.

https://www-esv.nhtsa.dot.gov/Proceedings/25/25ESV-000260.pdf

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As a 2WDer, driving on bad roads requires considerably more care and attention. Also, exactly as the study suggests, the vehicle translates more clearly the state of the road.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Invalido posted:

A recently published study from Sweden's Chalmers Technical University with the catchy title "DOES ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE (AWD) ON PASSENGER CARS HAVE ANY SAFETY BENEFITS ON
ROADS COVERED WITH ICE OR SNOW? ANALYSIS OF REAL-WORLD CRASHES INVOLVING AWD CARS WITH ESC (ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL)" made the news recently. The answer is no, AWD is significantly more crashy than 2WD

https://www-esv.nhtsa.dot.gov/Proceedings/25/25ESV-000260.pdf

This is also in a country with actual driver training and testing, so I would assume it would be even worse in North America. Only makes you go, doesn't help you stop.

Slightly related, watched an interesting video on the tube about skinny vs wide winter tires as I've been hearing forever how you always want to size down for winter. Turns out you can accelerate better with the skinny ones but you brake better with the wide ones, so just inflating the overconfidence gap driving in the snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf_mIlU82Ac

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
RWD is going to be the safest of all since you'll never get out of the driveway in the first place :smug:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

DoesNotCompute posted:

This is also in a country with actual driver training and testing, so I would assume it would be even worse in North America. Only makes you go, doesn't help you stop.

Slightly related, watched an interesting video on the tube about skinny vs wide winter tires as I've been hearing forever how you always want to size down for winter. Turns out you can accelerate better with the skinny ones but you brake better with the wide ones, so just inflating the overconfidence gap driving in the snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf_mIlU82Ac

I thought that was obvious since the whole point of the skinny tire is to cut through the snow, and you trade that for less overall contact with the ground

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

I thought that was obvious since the whole point of the skinny tire is to cut through the snow, and you trade that for less overall contact with the ground

Every time I read about some study like the one above or tires I'm like "yes, well that's obvious how is that not common knowledge" but then I watch dashcam vids of people YOLO'ing it into a ditch in a snowstorm because 4WD so I guess it's not obvious to everyone.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
WHAT IF I STOP TOO FAST AND THEN SOMEONE BEHIND ME REARENDS ME THEN WHAT?

I DON'T NEED THEM SNOW TIRES COZ I JUST SLOW DOWN AND LEAVE EXTRA SPACE AND NOBODY WILL EVER CUT IN TO THAT SPOT IN FRONT OF ME COZ THEY KNOW THAT I'M TRYING TO BE SAFE AND NO KIDS, OR DOGS OR WHATEVER WILL RUN OUT IN FRONT OF ME FROM BETWEEN TWO PARKED CARS AND SUDDENLY IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT ALL THAT SLOWING DOWN AND EXTRA SPACE HAPPENED CAUSE I CAN'T SLOW DOWN IN TIME EVEN AFTER LEAVING EXTRA SPACE LEFT EXTRA SPACE AND SLOWED DOWN

I DON'T NEED SNOW TIRES IN GOT FOREWEEL DRYVE!!!

I don't need four wheel drive because I got snow tires.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Every time I read about some study like the one above or tires I'm like "yes, well that's obvious how is that not common knowledge" but then I watch dashcam vids of people YOLO'ing it into a ditch in a snowstorm because 4WD so I guess it's not obvious to everyone.

You got me there. I just checked the resource that the average person buying snow tires would check and they don't really acknowledge stopping, so the average person making sure they're buying the right tire probably wouldn't give it a second thought

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/how-do-i-select-the-right-size-winter-snow-tires

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

You got me there. I just checked the resource that the average person buying snow tires would check and they don't really acknowledge stopping, so the average person making sure they're buying the right tire probably wouldn't give it a second thought

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/how-do-i-select-the-right-size-winter-snow-tires

Kinda wild that the counterpart to getting the car in motion is making it stop and yet that half of the equation is not generally emphasized or even a concern for a lot of people.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

wesleywillis posted:

WHAT IF I STOP TOO FAST AND THEN SOMEONE BEHIND ME REARENDS ME THEN WHAT?

I DON'T NEED THEM SNOW TIRES COZ I JUST SLOW DOWN AND LEAVE EXTRA SPACE AND NOBODY WILL EVER CUT IN TO THAT SPOT IN FRONT OF ME COZ THEY KNOW THAT I'M TRYING TO BE SAFE AND NO KIDS, OR DOGS OR WHATEVER WILL RUN OUT IN FRONT OF ME FROM BETWEEN TWO PARKED CARS AND SUDDENLY IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT ALL THAT SLOWING DOWN AND EXTRA SPACE HAPPENED CAUSE I CAN'T SLOW DOWN IN TIME EVEN AFTER LEAVING EXTRA SPACE LEFT EXTRA SPACE AND SLOWED DOWN

I DON'T NEED SNOW TIRES IN GOT FOREWEEL DRYVE!!!

Yeah, it is going to be really cool when we have these 3 ton lithium land mines careening around with chewed up tires.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

The Door Frame posted:

Honestly it was sort of counterintuitive to me, like if you're accelerating more effectively then traction must be higher, and to decelerate in snow, traction is the limiting factor so higher = better. But then you get into weight transfer between axles during heavy breaking and the variables of compacting snow ahead of the tires and all sorts of math and it's interesting to see some real world test. Ideal is probably a slightly fatter tire up front and skinnier rear tires in a RWD biased AWD setup.

Either way, hardly anyone can drive and it's insane how low the barrier for entry is to operate a 5,000lb lithium ion incendiary device at 100km/h on public roads.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

4 x 0 = 0

Tires matter

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

wesleywillis posted:

:same:
e: I have a pair of snow chains for really gnarly snow. I've needed to use them exactly never. Good tires specialized for the conditions you use them in are almost magical.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 22, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Engineerin Explained had a video on this a few months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KGiVzNNW8Y

Invalido posted:

:same:
e: I have a pair of snow chains for really gnarly snow. I've needed to use them exactly never. Good tires specialized for the conditions you use them in are almost magical.

I was only partially joking before, hills are a real problem with 2WD. I have to park on an incline at home and if it snowed, there's a good chance I won't be able to leave the parking spot beacuse of this:

E:

DoesNotCompute posted:

Honestly it was sort of counterintuitive to me, like if you're accelerating more effectively then traction must be higher, and to decelerate in snow, traction is the limiting factor so higher = better. But then you get into weight transfer between axles during heavy breaking and the variables of compacting snow ahead of the tires and all sorts of math and it's interesting to see some real world test. Ideal is probably a slightly fatter tire up front and skinnier rear tires in a RWD biased AWD setup.

Either way, hardly anyone can drive and it's insane how low the barrier for entry is to operate a 5,000lb lithium ion incendiary device at 100km/h on public roads.
That video seems to show that there's no meaningful difference between the tire widths anyway. Maybe there would be more of a difference in deep fluffly snow but I doubt it'd be enough to worry about.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 22, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If you have better tires it wouldn't be a problem

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I slap a couple of Clydesdales to my subframe when I pull into my driveway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wesleywillis posted:

If you have better tires it wouldn't be a problem

I already have pretty good winter tires, but there's a physical limit on how steep of an incline you can drive up with only half of the weight on your driven wheels. That's what that table shows.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Finger Prince posted:

The Algorithm sent me this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnej-xksgBc

I couldn't watch it to the end. It's one thing to "know" people like this are out there somewhere, it's another thing entirely to have the crime scenes streamed directly to your living room. People want to talk about right to repair, after watching this I feel like that is a right you need to earn.

The one I get is the person with the super-lowered car bringing it into a shop because it drags on the ground and creates sparks. Uh, yeah, you lowered it to the ground. What else were you expecting?
The terrible speaker non-install offends me as a former installer.

Also, how does a shop fail to replace a transmission? (I'm pretty sure most of the time "another shop" is the owner...)

RE: snow tires: I just live where it doesn't snow. Except when it does, at which time it is apocalyptic, but only for a few days to a week.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Colostomy Bag posted:

I slap a couple of Clydesdales to my subframe when I pull into my driveway.

Weird. I slapped a couple clydesdales and got kicked in the face.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Weird. I slapped a couple clydesdales and got kicked in the face.

That explains why you have a long face.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

mobby_6kl posted:

I already have pretty good winter tires, but there's a physical limit on how steep of an incline you can drive up with only half of the weight on your driven wheels. That's what that table shows.

If I had a really steep driveway or lived on top of a tricky hill or something I might consider AWD. Obviously more drive wheels means more traction. But seriously though, next time you buy winter tires consider spending a little extra for the top shelf test winning ones. In my experience the perceived performance difference between decent and really good snow tires is astounding.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My parents' place has a lovely steep driveway. We got out for years in FWD and RWD cars with decent snow tires, though my friends were always more cautious about getting enough speed to carry through.

I drove a long commute in vermont in the winter for years, AWD 3 series and blizzak tires was a fantastic combo. Also driving cautiously.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

Get EVEN BETTER tires.

Or studs and chains or some poo poo.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Just have a come-a-long on the top of the driveway and drag that bad boy up the hill. If it's too slick to drive, it'll just make it easier to drag

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
To leave my parent's place we go up a hill that has 200' of elevation in half a mile, we average 10' of snowfall per winter. It's bad enough that I had to buy my dad the ECS tuning kit to retrofit a traction control button into his Jetta. The ECS would destroy his momentum so bad he couldn't get up the hill.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have two rare winter driving skills that set me apart from most drivers; knowing when and how to turn off traction control and the ability to analyze weather forecasts and thus see into the future.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wesleywillis posted:

Get EVEN BETTER tires.

Or studs and chains or some poo poo.

No. :colbert: Well maybe once these wear out.

I'm not getting AWD either though so just have to shovel all the snow out or stay home (or walk like a loser).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Door Frame posted:

Just have a come-a-long on the top of the driveway and drag that bad boy up the hill. If it's too slick to drive, it'll just make it easier to drag

At this point make a small clearing for parking at the base and get a Snowcat as a shuttle bus.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Finger Prince posted:

The Algorithm sent me this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnej-xksgBc

I couldn't watch it to the end. It's one thing to "know" people like this are out there somewhere, it's another thing entirely to have the crime scenes streamed directly to your living room. People want to talk about right to repair, after watching this I feel like that is a right you need to earn.

Thanks to this channel I now hear the phrase "the customer declined all repairs" in my nightmares.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

No. :colbert: Well maybe once these wear out.

I'm not getting AWD either though so just have to shovel all the snow out or stay home (or walk like a loser).

Get JATO

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My problem with an AWD wagon with snow tires is that I would have to go dangerously fast to have any fun when snow is on the ground, so I just have boring safe drives.

(AWD was the only option when I was buying this car, it wasn't something I went out of my way to get)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
You can rip my Quattro out of my cold, dead hands, after I spun out on the side of a road covered in black ice.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'm the guy in the Subaru with snows in the slow lane driving whatever speed the conditions warrant, laughing at the lifted pickups on giant mud terrains blowing by and getting stuck in the ditch.

Snows are just an extra margin of safety and control. They're not for driving like it's summer and sunny when it's 15° and snowing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

^^^^^
Same but Corolla or Tacoma.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

PitViper posted:

I'm the guy in the Subaru with snows in the slow lane driving whatever speed the conditions warrant, laughing at the lifted pickups on giant mud terrains blowing by and getting stuck in the ditch.

One of the highest forms of schadenfreude

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Pootiling along in the right lane going the speed limit is immensely satisfying when the shithead going 20 over in the left lane is pulled over for speeding a few miles up the road.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

PitViper posted:

Snows are just an extra margin of safety and control. They're not for driving like it's summer and sunny when it's 15° and snowing.

And they are the ones not having to replace head gaskets.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Full Collapse posted:

Pootiling along in the right lane going the speed limit is immensely satisfying when the shithead going 20 over in the left lane is pulled over for speeding a few miles up the road.

Or when you catch up to them and they wasted all that fuel to not get anywhere any sooner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Or when you catch up to them and they wasted all that fuel to not get anywhere any sooner

I love pulling up next to a guy at a red, who peeled out from the last green, just to repeat the process.