Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Observe the M1 Abrams in its native habitat…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Huh. Off the dome, the 47th was originally given Leopard 2s (don't know which variant, guessing A4s but don't hold me to that). I don't really know how Ukraine organizes its mechanized/armored units so maybe they're running both or they have replaced their Leopards.

Some of the military analysts have noted that Ukrainian brigades are often quite large. Many have 6-8 maneuver battalions. 31 tanks makes one Soviet/Russian/Ukrainian/Warsaw Pact tank battalion. (Western battalions have around 44 tanks).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Reports that another Russian A-50 AWACS got shot down... this time apparently over Russia.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OddObserver posted:

Reports that another Russian A-50 AWACS got shot down... this time apparently over Russia.

Major egg on the face of breakingdefense.com's Reuben Johnson if true
After historic shoot-down, why Russia will struggle to replace its A-50 AEW&C plane

breakingdefense.com - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 posted:

As for when another A-50 could find itself a target of Ukrainian aggression, it could be a while. In its mid-January release, British intelligence noted that another an A-50 had apparently replaced the one taken out on Jan. 14, “but this time over land within Russian territory … .”

“This activity is highly likely indicative of a reduced risk appetite for the airframes and an attempt to preserve remaining A-50 MAINSTAY at a loss to its overall effectiveness over Ukraine,” the Brits said.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mawarannahr posted:

Major egg on the face of breakingdefense.com's Reuben Johnson if true
After historic shoot-down, why Russia will struggle to replace its A-50 AEW&C plane

arn't there only like 3 of those now.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Budzilla posted:

Should weapons shipments be monitored more closely? Sure. Should we stop sending military aid to Ukraine because of this? gently caress no.
"Sure our weapons shipments go missing and unaccounted for at rates up to 70% but whats the big deal???"

Yes its the moral thing to stop sending weapons to this entrenched conflict because they keep ending up in the hands of random terrorists and criminals, but also for lots of other reasons too

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

420 Gank Mid posted:

"Sure our weapons shipments go missing and unaccounted for at rates up to 70% but whats the big deal???"

Yes its the moral thing to stop sending weapons to this entrenched conflict because they keep ending up in the hands of random terrorists and criminals, but also for lots of other reasons too

Where did you get the 70% figure? And there is no evidence whatsoever that anything is ending up in the hands of random terrorists.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

70% lmfbo. Where'd you get that? Grayzone?

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

Would you like to enumerate these other reasons?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Weapons sent to Ukraine getting to nebulous terrorists or black market has been a favorite tankie fanfic since before the war started.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

drat, if Ukraine is holding Russia back with 30% of the aid, imagine what you could with the other 70%.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

420 Gank Mid posted:

70% is awfully impressive when the unaccounted-for rate is only 5%.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The other day I actually saw someone driving an Abrams down the street with a "For Ukraine" sticker on it, smh.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Popete posted:

The other day I actually saw someone driving an Abrams down the street with a "For Ukraine" sticker on it, smh.

Yeah, and I waved and you didnt wave back

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

OddObserver posted:

Ukrainian Telegram channels are say that it was shot down by Ukrainians. Russian Telegram channels are denying this and are saying that they shot down their own aircraft. That's not a joke btw.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What if they both shot it down simultaneously? Give both sides' AAA a ˝ kill.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

Ukrainian Telegram channels are say that it was shot down by Ukrainians. Russian Telegram channels are denying this and are saying that they shot down their own aircraft. That's not a joke btw.

Great comeback by the masters of the art of propaganda.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

Russians did the same thing for the first A-50. According to Russian milbloggers, Russian air defense shot down two A-50s and an IL-22 in a little over a month.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm seeing claims that it was shot down over 220 kilometers from the nearest front line in Ukraine? So maybe add another 20-30 km on top of that as a buffer from the front line to the system that was purportedly involved? People seem to doubt that the Ukrainians could have been involved simply owing to the vast distance between the site of the aircraft going down and the known range of anti-aircraft capabilities Ukraine possesses..

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Mom walks into my room stamps her foot and goes Billy-Joel Lafayette Theodolphus Macramé Staluigi I have been cleaning the living room ALL DAY and walk in there to see you've filled it with seventy percent of the military aid packages for The Ukraine

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I can't resell any of the Ukrainian military aid I pilfered because the market is absolutely flooded. Stop ruining the economy, guys!

Also, if true that the A-50 was downed 220km behind enemy lines by Ukraine, I hope there's some absolutely amazing black ops story about it, like smuggling a bomb on board or hijacking a Russian SAM unit in the area (or just bribing the operator to have a weapons malfunction).

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Self immolation continues to give Putin the moral high ground against Ukraine. :borked:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

420 Gank Mid posted:

Also which terrorists? Hamas? The houthis?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Very concerning that Ukraine allegedly loses track of 75% of all aid. I wonder where the stolen 80% of aid ends up. Doesn't it concern you that 90% of what we give to Ukraine is given straight to Al Qaeda?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Almost 100% of all aid given to Ukraine ends up in the hands of terrorists, Russian media reports

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

Very concerning that Ukraine allegedly loses track of 75% of all aid. I wonder where the stolen 80% of aid ends up. Doesn't it concern you that 90% of what we give to Ukraine is given straight to Al Qaeda?

Did you read the same post that I read? It says weapons shipments, not all aid, and it says rates up to 70%, not 75, 80, or 90%. Here:

quote:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

mawarannahr posted:

Did you read the same post that I read? It says weapons shipments, not all aid, and it says rates up to 70%, not 75, 80, or 90%. Here:

I'm not exactly sure how 70% of all weapon shipments doesn't at least probably mean some approximately large chunk of all aid; unless that 70% is just amazon delivery of individual clips of bullets? In any case is there a source for this? And for the implication that this overwhelmingly ends up in the hands of terrorists? The post made two very clearly connected claims. Both need to be addressed.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Almost 100% of all aid given to Ukraine ends up in the hands of terrorists, Russian media reports

You forgot captured Russian gear then being sold to Russia, gotta be more than 100%

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

Just so you know, they're making fun of the fact that 420 mid gank's post is making up a really high number out of wholecloth. That's the point of it going up every time they mention a number in the joke.

Starsfan posted:

I'm seeing claims that it was shot down over 220 kilometers from the nearest front line in Ukraine? So maybe add another 20-30 km on top of that as a buffer from the front line to the system that was purportedly involved? People seem to doubt that the Ukrainians could have been involved simply owing to the vast distance between the site of the aircraft going down and the known range of anti-aircraft capabilities Ukraine possesses..

I mean, you'd think it was even more embarrassing to Russia that they shot down one of their extremely valuable and limited AWAC planes THAT far away from the border that there was no way it could be a Ukrainian plane.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not exactly sure how 70% of all weapon shipments doesn't at least probably mean some approximately large chunk of all aid; unless that 70% is just amazon delivery of individual clips of bullets? In any case is there a source for this? And for the implication that this overwhelmingly ends up in the hands of terrorists? The post made two very clearly connected claims. Both need to be addressed.

I have no idea and I did not make those claims, but I don't think the response was on the mark.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mawarannahr posted:

Looking into it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mawarannahr posted:

I have no idea and I did not make those claims, but I don't think the response was on the mark.

The problem is "rates up to 70%" could mean one shipment was hit by a russian missile and 70% destroyed and literally every other shipment ever has been tracked and delivered without issue.

"Rates up to" is gibberish junk, which is why people are mocking the number.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

mawarannahr posted:

I'm a little flummuxed here, your response is to suggest an argument you actually had no idea was true or not?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Kchama posted:

I mean, you'd think it was even more embarrassing to Russia that they shot down one of their extremely valuable and limited AWAC planes THAT far away from the border that there was no way it could be a Ukrainian plane.

Given the amount of Ukrainian aid being resold, it's possible that Russia ended up shooting down their own aircraft with a weapon originally supplied to Ukraine!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mawarannahr posted:

The point of the response was that op's argument was silly, with made up numbers and absurd accusations designed to sow fear, if not by op, then by the propaganda outlet they got that information from. You can replace the individual fabricated claims with increasingly outlandish accusations and insinuations to ratchet up the anti Ukrainian sentiment in a process of long term rhetorical manipulation, and that seems to be exactly what is going on.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
this thread is laughing while serbian gangsters enforce their protection rackets with f-16s sporting stand-off range cruise missiles, sad

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm a little flummuxed here, your response is to suggest an argument you actually had no idea was true or not?

The response took to the OP's claim regarding weapons shipments and but responded as if the claim applied to all aid. I have no opinion on the claim itself, but I think the response was to a claim that was not made.

steinrokkan posted:

The point of the response was that op's argument was silly, with made up numbers and absurd accusations designed to sow fear, if not by op, then by the propaganda outlet they got that information from. You can replace the individual fabricated claims with increasingly outlandish accusations and insinuations to ratchet up the anti Ukrainian sentiment in a process of long term rhetorical manipulation, and that seems to be exactly what is going on.

Ah. For my sake, please say what you mean next time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this thread is laughing while serbian gangsters enforce their protection rackets with f-16s sporting stand-off range cruise missiles, sad

70% of arms are sold to Dr. Evil, the remaining 30% is used to protect the warehouses of Western weapons from Ukrainian soldiers trying to use them to fight Russians.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I agree, Iran and the DPRK should stop sending weapons to Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well any conclusion follows from false premises.