Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So they have 6-7 modernized ones left and maybe some of the ones with USSR-era electronics from mid-80's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

From January:

quote:

Down one A-50, the Russian air force may have just two of the jets left; the other six A-50s reportedly are in need of upgrade and overhaul. Unless the air force is willing to risk the last two flyable A-50s, it must make peace with its new inability to provide radar coverage over all of Crimea.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/01/16/ukrainian-crews-set-a-complex-missile-trap-for-russias-best-radar-plane/?sh=7757a2f73566

lol. lmao.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Yevpatoriya is the last station on a branch line so they probably aren't passing through by rail. I don't think the Russian navy feels confident enough to operate landing craft around the west coast either.

I'm going to guess there's either a repair shop in the city or they're going to be used hull down as improvised coastal batteries.

People said that about the T-55s but they've been showing up in Suchomimus' youtube vids lately getting exploded in a frontline role.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots
currently trying to imagine what it would be like if we invaded Mexico, failed to overthrow the government, and while fighting an effectively fixed contact line in Coahuila lost two AWACS.
Actually to make it comparable we'd have to lose 6. :psyduck:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

TrashMammal posted:

feels like i’m reading the rejected parents thread sometimes

ejected pilots thread

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

A-50 smoking accident. They should really put out a memo about the dangers of lighting up.

Shoigu should also be putting out a statement any time about shooting down a NATO helicarrier.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Russia is really good at this

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I swear to god if Russians managed to shoot down another Superman I.....

Do you have any idea how hard it is to reset the cloning vat after every use? At least shoot him down over Ukraine so we can just drop the remains to the resurrection pool.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

tiaz posted:

currently trying to imagine what it would be like if we invaded Mexico, failed to overthrow the government, and while fighting an effectively fixed contact line in Coahuila lost two AWACS.
Actually to make it comparable we'd have to lose 6. :psyduck:

Don't forget Guy Fieri starting his own PMC and getting shot down in his private jet by his own mercenaries

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

quote:

"...some unknown weapon. It was most likely not a Patriot, but something more serious."

What are they even imagining, I'd think Patriots were a serious enough threat. I guess their own air defense would be more so, but he denies that first off...

ok guys, you got us, we didn't actually scrap that 747 with the megawatt laser after all, we were saving it just in case and now Ukraine has it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine having a 747 with a freakin' laser attached to its nose and then just scrapping it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Keep those irreplaceable airframes dropping. I want Russia to have to seriously start looking into their rubber band and styrofoam stockpile if the want short hop aviation through 2026.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lord Awkward posted:

What are they even imagining, I'd think Patriots were a serious enough threat. I guess their own air defense would be more so, but he denies that first off...

ok guys, you got us, we didn't actually scrap that 747 with the megawatt laser after all, we were saving it just in case and now Ukraine has it.

Because if the Ukrainians didn’t deploy a top-secret long-range AWACS killer, then it means that Russia hosed up. Either they got too close to a ground-based SAM (lol), they shot down their own AWACS (lmao), or they let a Ukrainian plane fly up and shoot them down unchallenged (the funniest possible answer).

But Russia would never gently caress up, so…

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Reminder that the Moskva spontaneously caught fire for no reason and sank in a storm.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

beer_war posted:

Reminder that the Moskva spontaneously caught fire for no reason and sank in a storm.

:actually: there was a reason: lol Russian safety protocols and manufacturing standards

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Because if the Ukrainians didn’t deploy a top-secret long-range AWACS killer, then it means that Russia hosed up. Either they got too close to a ground-based SAM (lol), they shot down their own AWACS (lmao), or they let a Ukrainian plane fly up and shoot them down unchallenged (the funniest possible answer).

flew too low over the sea and some naval drone controllers saw a chance to become legends

fair points

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

we should expect one of these every couple of weeks

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

That is some serious high octane single malt copium

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Been a while since we've had a good 'ol macho army manpile:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1761079360671428674

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

kemikalkadet posted:

People said that about the T-55s but they've been showing up in Suchomimus' youtube vids lately getting exploded in a frontline role.

I'm not disputing that Russia uses T-62s in frontline duty, that's well established. It just doesn't make sense to turn south in Dzhankoy, North Crimea to go south-west to Yevpatoriya, West Crimea, if these tanks are headed e.g. for Robotyne, Zaporozhye.

It would make more sense if they came in through the port and were heading inland, but it would be very brave (stupid) of the Russian navy to ship them in on a landing craft to a port 150 km closer to Ukrainian controlled shores than the spot where the Caesar Kunikov was sunk. It's the Russian navy though, so who knows.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:actually: Russia having no radar coverage near occupied territories is good because

also more copium

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

What do the silly experts say?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://x.com/yarotrof/status/1761123863989993504?s=20

Have they considered... not doing that?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

War Balloons.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

"Russian world" keeps shrinking

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

I can't even begin to comprehend the kind of diseased mind that thinks '"we shot our own plane, again" is less embarrassing than "the enemy shot down one of our planes"

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://x.com/NOELreports/status/1761128944240083367?s=20

No loving way.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Russia air force about to end up like the Luftwaffe in Normady - one depressed guy with a single plane drunk off his rear end making up their entire air coverage.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Russians: gently caress you khohols we shot it down ourselves!!

Dwesa posted:

"Russian world" keeps shrinking

Lol if Zelenskyy manages to bring peace to the middle east.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Russian air defence is busy protecting Putin's palaces, please make do with an old picture

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1761128941199245686

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

No way. Wow.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Also Sweden will join the NATO family very soon now.

quote:

Orban Gives Green Light to Sweden’s NATO Bid

Viktor Orban, the Hungarian prime minister, said after a meeting with Sweden’s leader, and a deal for more fighter jets, that the two countries are “ready to fight for each other.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/23/world/europe/sweden-hungary-nato.html

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
lmao did they have to bribe him with some Gripens?

Well whatever, finally this is over.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Badass! Välkomme hem! :sweden:

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Vengarr posted:

Initial reports suggest it may be some advanced version of a cluster missile.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin taking a nice stack of L's for the anniversary. Been a heck of a three day operation.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Keep up the good work, Russian AA.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I look forward to the A50 replacement avionics that is built solely off AliExpress hardware and is 75% composed of usb a to c and dvi-hdmi adapters by weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think russia should do less air defense?

Have they told them to be less doing?