Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jack Trades posted:

You still have to do all the side quests, so it's barely even a skip.

You don't have to do all the side quests

Mikojan posted:

Not completely true

Someone correct me on this but; I think theres more side quests in the game than there are rewards (of the idol slot / passive point types), so if u skip areas you can get the same rewards in later side quests

Correct, I think I did 5 side quests in the campaign and I have all passives and idol slots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not sure I understand why the zone transitions take so long when the zones are instanced

What is it doing

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm not entirely sure the devs know either to be honest, since it hasn't noticeably improved since multiplayer first came out. Of course, it could now be down to server load, but who knows.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Clarste posted:

The main problem is it has a lot of loading screens and loading screens are a pain point with the server issues. Monoliths magically have no loading screens and are perfect forever.

That part definitely does suck right now, yeah.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I did like bounties in D3's adventure mode as a way to get you around the main map doing stuff that wasn't just grinding rifts, but it also devolved really quickly into just grabbing some random to powerlevel you to max in no time at all, so adventure mode always felt functionally like a campaign skip but I had to talk to strangers and sit watching the screen for a while before I could play.

Anyway, I don't really get campaign skips because the campaign plays pretty much exactly the same as monoliths - the monsters and maps are pretty much all functionally identical. If it comes with a level skip so I can immediately access the gear and skills of a late game character then sure, but I don't really give a poo poo if I play levels 1-50 in something called an act or something called a monolith, they feel pretty much the same except that one comes with dialogues I skip.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm not sure I understand why the zone transitions take so long when the zones are instanced

What is it doing

unclear where the bottleneck is but it's probably something like waiting in line to shake hands with the one (1) guy who creates instances

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tiny Timbs posted:

What is it doing

It actually seems to load towns with a lot of people FASTER, so my impression is that something's going wrong with the process of creating a new instance.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
In online mode the instances are created on the fly and added into a matchmaking pool. The matchmaking service is completely bottlenecked so you wait around until it succeeds.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Tiny Timbs posted:

What is it doing
My totally uneducated guess would be that it checks for instances with other players and since there's +150k people trying to get into these, the game gets problems finding a room for you fast enough.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pockyless posted:

In online mode the instances are created on the fly and added into a matchmaking pool. The matchmaking service is completely bottlenecked so you wait around until it succeeds.

What matchmaking is it doing when I'm not in a party, though? Only the towns have other players in them.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Its matching you the player/party into an available instance

Edit: in online mode even if you are already in an instance and party up, other players can now portal into your instance. This is hosted on their servers. The matchmaking service doesnt matchmake party members.

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 23, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

edit: i'm dumb

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I don't understand how you can be in a loading screen, hear your character/pets spawn, move your cursor around and see the icon change when you're mousing over your stash or npcs or whatever, but the loading screen just stays forever. Likely clearly you've spawned into the zone so all the matchmaking poo poo should have been done at that point but idk.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

they never solved it in EA so whatever the problem is, it's clearly pretty fundamental to their engine architecture and won't be fixed until they get lots more money/engineers/time

similar to early in PoE's lifespan when its netcode was pure garbage and hitching and teleporting were the norm instead of the exception

the fact that its worse in a party though is just... phew, it's bad

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Suprfli6 posted:

I don't understand how you can be in a loading screen, hear your character/pets spawn, move your cursor around and see the icon change when you're mousing over your stash or npcs or whatever, but the loading screen just stays forever. Likely clearly you've spawned into the zone so all the matchmaking poo poo should have been done at that point but idk.
Loading screens don't disappear until everything is loaded correctly. It could be that most assets have loaded but not other important parts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The end game is very simple in LE right now, but also the gameplay loop of it is so fast and straight forward, that i'm really enjoying it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just pulled a 2gb update on steam, weird that they don't put patch notes on steam so I have no idea what it's for.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Regarding the earlier chat about what items to shatter: put a rule near the top of your loot filter to show and emphasize rare affixes, primarily hybrid health and +level to your main damage skill. They're probably not going to show up much in the campaign, but the sooner you do this, the better. And if you find yourself low on a common affix (like I ran out of necrotic damage shards because I was rolling it a lot), it's easy to adjust this rule as you go.

nerox
May 20, 2001

explosivo posted:

Just pulled a 2gb update on steam, weird that they don't put patch notes on steam so I have no idea what it's for.

Patch notes:

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/last-epoch-1-0-0d-patch-notes/63843

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:tipshat:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Noper Q posted:

Regarding the earlier chat about what items to shatter: put a rule near the top of your loot filter to show and emphasize rare affixes, primarily hybrid health and +level to your main damage skill. They're probably not going to show up much in the campaign, but the sooner you do this, the better. And if you find yourself low on a common affix (like I ran out of necrotic damage shards because I was rolling it a lot), it's easy to adjust this rule as you go.

Early in the campaign I don't know what my main damage skill is yet.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/last-epoch-1-0-0d-patch-notes/63843

Generally bug fixes

edit fb

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wanted to try to get some leveling in on lunch but it's taking 5-10 minutes to move into a new zone. Good stuff.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I unlocked the runemaster path earlier today and it has been super fun so far, there are a poo poo ton of combinations and most of them look really cool and do a ton of damage. The mana cost isn't crazy either so you can pretty much cast combos non stop with a little breather once in a while. There's even quick two spell combos as well. And if you're feeling lazy you can just cast three fire spells in a row and summon a big gently caress off fireball or something similar with a different element.

I'm sure the novelty will wear off at some point but drat it is fun so far

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Monoliths seem to work fine without any loading time, and you don't have to be level 58 to start doing them. I'm currently doing them at level 35, and it's been pretty doable so far. Depends on your build of course, ranged/minion builds are probably easier there at lower levels.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Double Bill posted:

Monoliths seem to work fine without any loading time, and you don't have to be level 58 to start doing them. I'm currently doing them at level 35, and it's been pretty doable so far. Depends on your build of course, ranged/minion builds are probably easier there at lower levels.

I don't know if they changed the exp bonuses/penalties since I last did it but you start leveling like you're level 1 again for a little while which is kind of a blast too.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yep I just did the same, finally got loaded into the monolith area on my 27 warlock and I'm 33 after doing 2. I'm very squishy but dps isn't as terrible as I was expecting considering it's a level 58 area.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 23, 2024

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

The downside to skipping to monoliths is you don't unlock the seasonal mechanic, you have to do temporal sanctum (or maybe other skips if you stop even earlier in the campaign?) to get to the faction leaders. I got 1 whole temporal sanctum key key on my way to level 68 and died to a 1-shot from the boss, guess I should have read a guide, so now I'm slogging through the campaign (loading screens..) Not sure why they made it like this.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

M. Night Skymall posted:

The downside to skipping to monoliths is you don't unlock the seasonal mechanic, you have to do temporal sanctum (or maybe other skips if you stop even earlier in the campaign?) to get to the faction leaders. I got 1 whole temporal sanctum key key on my way to level 68 and died to a 1-shot from the boss, guess I should have read a guide, so now I'm slogging through the campaign (loading screens..) Not sure why they made it like this.

Julra definitely gets a lot of people (especially HC chars) who go in blind.

Do the mechanic or die
change timelines to avoid the one shot

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Gyoru posted:

Julra definitely gets a lot of people (especially HC chars) who go in blind.

Do the mechanic or die
change timelines to avoid the one shot

Yeah, I mean it's perfectly fair the boss is a knowledge check, but now that I died I have to either farm up another key, which given my 1 key in like 40 echoes drop rate seems unwise, or do the campaign with its dumb loading issues.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

random person on discord posted:

Can we earn favor or reputation for faction while in loading screen? i'll probably be already lvl10 if you implemented it

Judd posted:

Good idea. Next hotfix

lol

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

M. Night Skymall posted:

Yeah, I mean it's perfectly fair the boss is a knowledge check, but now that I died I have to either farm up another key, which given my 1 key in like 40 echoes drop rate seems unwise, or do the campaign with its dumb loading issues.

I wasted like 5 keys before I figured it out, lol.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I just finished the campaign and am randomly doing monoliths. I've gotten a few keys as well, should I be using those?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

You can use keys if you want but in general you are better off pushing monoliths to get blessings, which are passive character buffs and can be very good sources of resists, crit strike avoidance, etc.

I just completed the first monolith on my warlock and it took me from 27 to 50 in under 2 hours and without having to deal with the loading screens at all. Maybe early tomorrow morning the servers won't be on fire and I can dip back into the campaign to get my missing passives/idol slots/merchant faction but for now I'm just going to keep doing monos.

E: Also, as good as chthonic fissure is, I'm going all in on necrotic damage on my warlock and being able to cast bone curse on the entire screen and then soul feast to one shot them all and max my ward out feels pretty OP and I haven't really seen any guides that go this route. I still have a lot of skill points and passives into fire damage poo poo since I had a Calamity and Torch of the Pontifex while I was in my 20s but I don't want to deal with loading screens to respec those points currently, and I'm still absolutely tearing through level 66 monoliths at level 53 currently. Once this build is minmaxed it could get pretty crazy.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 23, 2024

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Did they ever fix the weird overexaggeration of DoTs in the tooltip DPS estimates or is stuff like ignite chance affixes still throwing it out?

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.

EHG Steve on discord posted:

** Servers & Services Notice**

With our last patch, we saw a considerable uptick in matchmaking transitions between non-town zones for solo characters, and overall the solo-play experience continues to improve.

We will be deploying a fix shortly (at 3 PM PST) to address group/party-play with the intent on improving scene transitions.

Please know that this update will cause servers to be down for approximately 15 minutes while it is deploying.

Hoping this makes a significant difference for folks!

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
They "improved how the expected DPS impact of damaging ailments is calculated (generally lower than before, but more accurate to real scenarios)." last year with the 0.9 patch. I don't think they've tweaked it since then.

Tooltips are not very accurate for abilities with cooldowns or triggered or conditional effects or just in general. Also at very low levels (like 1-10) ignite and bleed are the strongest DPS affixes you can have so they might look like they have a bigger impact then.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

King Cocoa Butter posted:

Hoping this makes a significant difference for folks!

I've been playing the last 45 minutes or so, and it's been going great - and that's with it hitting a new all-time concurrent high of 197k, currently at 185k.

So *hopefully* their changes are finally starting to pay off.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Oh my god they changed it so you only need to do one button for the bridge? This is the best I love you EHG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

rafikki posted:

I just finished the campaign and am randomly doing monoliths. I've gotten a few keys as well, should I be using those?

For what it’s worth, each dungeon has 4 tiers with different area levels - completing each tier unlocks the next. The first tier are like level 45 ~ 55, so they might be bit boring if you’ve leveled past that. Sanctum and Bastion are both relatively easy on the early tiers if you do the mechanics.