Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

No Wave posted:

Mechanical question for unlocks: there are some vouchers that are just better versions of other vouchers. Like one that's like Hone but makes foils/holos/prismatics 4x as common instead of 2x. Are there conditions for having them show up in a run?

I think they might only show up after you've bought the lower level one, but idk, only seen one once and I had already activated the lower level one in the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

Mechanical question for unlocks: there are some vouchers that are just better versions of other vouchers. Like one that's like Hone but makes foils/holos/prismatics 4x as common instead of 2x. Are there conditions for having them show up in a run?

Yes, those ones can't show up in a run unless you've already redeemed the basic one, basically the unlocks just give you the opportunity to buy that effect twice.

Super mega secret spoilers: The "blank" voucher has an upgraded version that does something incredibly good, but the only way to get that one is to gamble $10 on a blank voucher and hope that the upgraded one shows up later in the run. Worse, the unlock condition on adding the upgraded blank to the pool is... buying the blank voucher 10 times, so you have to repeatedly throw away $10 on a voucher that does nothing just to have the opportunity that it might pay off in future runs.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Made it to Ante 13 with the plasma deck :toot:

Shoutout to Blueprint Bean with the dice so every heart has a large chance of giving 4x multi, made it kinda random with hands being between 75mill to 31bill but that's roguelikes for you :v:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm ok with that. I wonder how many I have bought. I grab it basically every time I have spare dosh, mostly because I keep expecting it to do something eventually.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/BalatroGame/status/1761055772065010040

Pretty pretty good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

the holy poopacy posted:

Yes, those ones can't show up in a run unless you've already redeemed the basic one, basically the unlocks just give you the opportunity to buy that effect twice.

Super mega secret spoilers: The "blank" voucher has an upgraded version that does something incredibly good, but the only way to get that one is to gamble $10 on a blank voucher and hope that the upgraded one shows up later in the run. Worse, the unlock condition on adding the upgraded blank to the pool is... buying the blank voucher 10 times, so you have to repeatedly throw away $10 on a voucher that does nothing just to have the opportunity that it might pay off in future runs.
I'm glad i clicked this spoiler. Ty thats super helpful.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

do not ever think "i can probably easily get to 100,000 chips with this deck" going into ante 8. the game will read your mind and give you violet vessel

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Skipped to get a polychrome joker, it turns out to be Vampire (consumes enhancements to get xmultiplier) which would be great if I didn't have an eternal Driver's License (x3 if you have at least 16 enhanced cards). Not sure if I should still take it, like its clearly a lot stronger than the license and works with my current deck but it would effectively be taking 2 slots.

(Balatro: Vampire would be great but I have an Eternal Driver's License)

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

Skipped to get a polychrome joker, it turns out to be Vampire (consumes enhancements to get xmultiplier) which would be great if I didn't have an eternal Driver's License (x3 if you have at least 16 enhanced cards). Not sure if I should still take it, like its clearly a lot stronger than the license and works with my current deck but it would effectively be taking 2 slots.

One of my best runs was Vampire paired with Midas Mask (turns face cards into gold cars), basically was adding to the Vampire mult every single turn, was somewhere around 12x by the end of my run. Extremely fun

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Color Printer posted:

do not ever think "i can probably easily get to 100,000 chips with this deck" going into ante 8. the game will read your mind and give you violet vessel

I'm fairly sure the game targets you if you use one thing too many times. The amount of boss fights I've had that specifically point out my all face card deck or two pair sets money to $0.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

sirtommygunn posted:

I imagine anyone coming into this thread curios about the popular new poker game is very confused reading it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Had a hilarious run where I pulled a legendary joker early that duplicated a tarot card that you have after each store which let me make my entire deck spades. That plus the joker that increases a hands level 1:4 times that got my flush to level 20 made the last 4 antes a bunch of mindless flush clicking but it got me my first win. Thank god I didn’t get a boss blind that debuffed spades haha.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

This card plus Four Fingers has turned into the dumbest possible run. Everything is a straight, can practically pick any 4 cards and there we go.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Harlock posted:

I'm fairly sure the game targets you if you use one thing too many times. The amount of boss fights I've had that specifically point out my all face card deck or two pair sets money to $0.

The latter of the two specifically targets your most played hand, and is a property of the boss.

The former is like the suit-specific bosses. You can definitely draw any of those if you have literally 0 in the suit/face cards

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The Knife's Edge challenge is very fun

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

woke kaczynski posted:

Aces can be either high or low, you just can't do both at once.

I'm still really surprised superposition doesn't function like that unless it causes problems with the code

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Love that my winning ghost deck run involved selling the free hex card because my first joker was a negative abstract joker and you're out of your loving mind if i'm losing that

good thing too cause I ended up having nine jokers by the end of the run lmfao

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Pipski posted:

God loving drat it, I wish The Eye would keep a list of what hand types you've already used against it. Absolutely hosed myself at the end of a glorious run, then, by getting mixed up wrt my prior hands. Livid.

I do appreciate that you can drag the Eye around the screen for some reason though.

What platform are you playing on? The Steam version pops up text that your current hand won't score for Eye/Psychic etc if it doesn't meet the conditions, which is great because I would forget otherwise every single time.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Nearly finished my first run, then got the unpleasant surprise that the last boss required selling a joker fml haha.

Do you always get that same last boss blind or does it cycle like the other ones?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game just owned me so hard hahaha, I couldn't even be mad

My Joker clown car was powered by a dagger that had eaten a high-value egg for like 80 mult, after saving it for half the run. After that, I picked up the three on the left in short succession and it turned out to be an unbelievable combo. All face cards give chips, all face cards give mult, and most importantly? With Pareidolia all cards from lowest to highest are face cards. :c00l:

Oh gently caress. It won't, will it?

Oh my god.

OH MY GOOOODDDDD

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Had my best run this morning got the hobo joker feeding cards to prismatic joker that powers up xmult every time you sell a card and linked it to blueprint got like a 100k high card at one point.

unattended spaghetti posted:

Nearly finished my first run, then got the unpleasant surprise that the last boss required selling a joker fml haha.

Do you always get that same last boss blind or does it cycle like the other ones?

you can beat that boss without selling a joker if you have jokers that add chips to cards those will still trigger.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I didn't have any issues the first few days playing this but it's crashed on me over 5 times today, anybody else having issues?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

CJacobs posted:

OH MY GOOOODDDDD

Yeah, keeping an eye on what the boss blind is really important sometimes. If something like that happens, it's probably a good time to start reroll digging for alternatives. Or at least sell Paradolia next time. Happened to me too once!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

I didn't have any issues the first few days playing this but it's crashed on me over 5 times today, anybody else having issues?

what you playing on? i dont think there's been any updates so i presume it's on your end

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I was a little disappointed that the boss that shuffles jokers didnt make my ritual dagger eat a random joker. Relieved, but disappointed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Just had the goofiest loving run. I did a win streak on checkered all the way up to purple chip and then died 3 times in a row, so when Madness came up early I picked it up on a lark. Grabbed the first eternal card I saw with a fixed multiplier bonus, at which point I discovered that Madness's multiplier goes up whether or not it actually destroys anything. Then I got an eternal stuntman and all bets were off. Opened a bunch of spectral packs and upgraded Madness to polychrome for free since it was the only unmodified joker I had and the others were indestructible. At this point I was hitting 30-40k on a high card and was starting to get a little antsy because I knew this wouldn't scale enough to beat the end boss, but then I found eternal campfire. Since I had spare joker slots there was nothing stopping me from buying jokers and immediately selling them back at half cost to pump up campfire, and it's not like I had much to spend money on anyhow. I doubt it's going to go very far in endless but it was an amusing run.

This is what I mean when I say checkered deck doesn't have to be all about flushes in the long run. Being able to hit flushes super reliably gives you an incredibly strong early game, and very very consistent since you know exactly how much you can reliably score.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

what you playing on? i dont think there's been any updates so i presume it's on your end
There's been at least one minor update on Steam. Just some small bug fixes.

In other news, GamesRadar did an interview with LocalThunk shedding light on the game's origins.

It was originally intended to be a simple version of Big Two for a small circle of friends to play against each other online, but then they watched some videos of someone playing Luck Be A Landlord and killed the online focus in favor of a single-player chase for More, Bigger Numbers, at which point personal circumstances suggested that making it a commercial product would probably be a better idea than sticking to the original intended audience of, like, four people.

They intend to keep updating the game as long as it stays fun to develop, but there's no plans or roadmap or whatever.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

woke kaczynski posted:

What platform are you playing on? The Steam version pops up text that your current hand won't score for Eye/Psychic etc if it doesn't meet the conditions, which is great because I would forget otherwise every single time.

It does, but that's too late if you just used your discards to intentionally build a hand that won't score and you're now stuck with. It's fundamentally a brain problem on my part.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

There's been at least one minor update on Steam. Just some small bug fixes.

In other news, GamesRadar did an interview with LocalThunk shedding light on the game's origins.

It was originally intended to be a simple version of Big Two for a small circle of friends to play against each other online, but then they watched some videos of someone playing Luck Be A Landlord and killed the online focus in favor of a single-player chase for More, Bigger Numbers, at which point personal circumstances suggested that making it a commercial product would probably be a better idea than sticking to the original intended audience of, like, four people.

They intend to keep updating the game as long as it stays fun to develop, but there's no plans or roadmap or whatever.

This guy owns. I watched a pre-release video of him playing the game on YouTube and he genuinely comes off as someone who really enjoys making games for fun.

Also that he's just going to keep working on it until he doesn't feel like it anymore. I mean the game launched in such a complete state already anything added is a bonus.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Got the face card dream team, love how it can pump the score up to super fire even without any mult mult jokers

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
Do I go for the Arcana pack and hope to hit a money doubler, or do I take the safe Swashbuckler?

edit...
I only have myself to blame

malnourish fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 23, 2024

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

hail knife

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I have hit Orange chip difficulty and you truly need an amazing start to get past the blind ramping from the purple chip, going down to 2 discards is brutal

I got through purple with a strong start with Fibonacci and an extremely early Constellation. A lucky Negative Stencil made the dream work. Two Pair was around level 24 when the run died in Ante 11

Also, if people are wondering what the Blank voucher unlocks after buying it 10 times

Onmi fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 23, 2024

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

roomtwofifteen posted:

One of my best runs was Vampire paired with Midas Mask (turns face cards into gold cars), basically was adding to the Vampire mult every single turn, was somewhere around 12x by the end of my run. Extremely fun

I'm playing a run with this right now. It's absurd. You just arrange it so the cards get golded and then wiped by vampire every time they're played. I got an early constellation as well, so this is looking really good.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t really get the green deck. What’s the gimmick? Is it just that you don’t need to keep your cash above $25?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t really get the green deck. What’s the gimmick? Is it just that you don’t need to keep your cash above $25?

The more you are able to win a round on the first hand without discarding, the more money you make.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That sounds nearly impossible in the early game.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

That sounds nearly impossible in the early game.
Sure, but its already advantaged in the early game because you wont have interest income and you get +1 gold per remaining hand even if you use all your discards. It means you can spend down with no punishment but you also have to win prrtty hard to cover your interest loss. (imo gold deck is better)