Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

SHISHKABOB posted:

If i don't see red on my reticule when I'm shooting something, am I doing no damage? Not seeing the ricochet symbol either.

Red X is a hit on a soft target, white X is a hit on a hard target with effective penetration, and finally the shield symbol that appears during ricochets indicates hitting a hard target with ineffective penetration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Insert name here posted:

There's definitely more to armour pen than Light/Medium/(presumably) Heavy, based on my anecdotal experience.

One of the secret finicky milsim things in this, besides the speed of your guy aiming a lighter vs heavier weapon, is that the angle of hits matters. Hitting a tank flat-on versus at an angle with a rocket is the easy example but chargers are affected by this too. Wouldn’t be surprised to learn that bullet projectile size affects penetration e.g. tiny spraynpray shot doesn’t do much against brood commander’s armored face.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

You can, by default it’s 5 on the keyboard.

ah, cool. what's that on the PS5? probably not bound by default, right? you still can't unbind keys on the PS5, so probably doesn't matter

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
You know, I don't think things being doubly-gated. Make me level up to be able to use a piece of equipment, or make me use in-game currency, but making me do both has always bothered me. It's not like you can give someone else requisition or warbonds or samples to rush them, and gaining a level does nothing except give you a new title and unlock items that you need to spend those things on anyway, so basically xp is just another currency you need to earn to be able to spend currency unlocking something.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

what the gently caress

Some people havent been listening to General Brasch.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

hey mom its 420 posted:

ah, cool. what's that on the PS5? probably not bound by default, right? you still can't unbind keys on the PS5, so probably doesn't matter
I think down on the d-pad.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Phanatic posted:

You know, I don't think things being doubly-gated. Make me level up to be able to use a piece of equipment, or make me use in-game currency, but making me do both has always bothered me. It's not like you can give someone else requisition or warbonds or samples to rush them, and gaining a level does nothing except give you a new title and unlock items that you need to spend those things on anyway, so basically xp is just another currency you need to earn to be able to spend currency unlocking something.

Mentioning levels brings me to another question, how are levels independent from titles? I'll see two people both like, level 8, one is titled cadet one is titled space cadet. What's up with that?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
My primary problem with the AMR is that it is zeroed for some type of range that is never the range I'm ever actually using it for and it is always above or below anything I'm trying to hit with it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

My primary problem with the AMR is that it is zeroed for some type of range that is never the range I'm ever actually using it for and it is always above or below anything I'm trying to hit with it

Have you held the reload button to change the scope/range?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

You unlock a new title every 5 levels, but actually have to set it on the character tab in the armory.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

bird food bathtub posted:

Mentioning levels brings me to another question, how are levels independent from titles? I'll see two people both like, level 8, one is titled cadet one is titled space cadet. What's up with that?

You pick your title the same place you pick your armor and primary/secondary. I think Space Cadet unlocks at 5.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I did a solo helldive where my dropship clipped me right into that bunker room you only get into if 2 people hit the buttons on the outside at the same time. Couldn't loot the goodies and had to suicide to get out.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Yep, in the key bindings you can change the mode from 'hold' to 'press' which turns it into a toggle.

Note that you can do this with every key binding in the game, it's super flexible.

If this feels awful and is getting you killed, it might be because shooting your gun while auto-sprinting does not cancel the sprint so if you hit Shift again to continue sprinting after firing it will instead cancel your sprint. I can't get used to it, so I've changed back to Hold. I don't want a mode where pressing Shift can make me walk, god-dammit!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

About 6 hours in and it's truly amazing how they squared the circle of making it arcade-y in all the ways that matter for approchability and sheer fun factor, but hard-nosed starship trooper fireteam coordination milsim in all the ways that are engaging and rewarding to execute.

Frex I thought I was annoyed that the space game where you shoot bugs didn't have the magic ammo-conserving magazines that the modern military shooters do, but no. It ends up being a really cool mechanic to engage with in concert with the other resource management stuff.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

E4C85D38 posted:

Red X is a hit on a soft target, white X is a hit on a hard target with effective penetration, and finally the shield symbol that appears during ricochets indicates hitting a hard target with ineffective penetration.

Thank u

explosivo posted:

Have you held the reload button to change the scope/range?

Wow ya know, the game told me guns had alt stuff, but I haven't looked at most of them yet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wow ya know, the game told me guns had alt stuff, but I haven't looked at most of them yet.

Every gun has different options, the AMR is the only one I've run into so far that lets you change the scope on the fly.

They really should mention this stuff in the tutorial and not just in a loading screen that a lot of people won't see.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I do hope future defense campaigns have a bit more mission variety. I don't want to fight on those planets any more purely because almost every operation is multiple defend missions and that loving scientist evacuation.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

SHISHKABOB posted:

Thank u

Game super duper needs a simulator or gun range or something where you can just dork around and do all these different things, shoot a weapon at a bug's armor and see what it does, try out stuff before you unlock it and so on and so on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hey mom its 420 posted:

Hold down on the d pad

E: Oops, way beaten

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Insert name here posted:

I definitely used to do this with the regular Liberator but Brood Commanders will still crawl after you, while the AP Liberator will definitely put it in the dirt with less than a mag to the head and the sooner those things are dead the better (Brood Commanders can summon warrior bugs at its location independent of bug breaches, because they're jerks)

How is the AP liberator? Been wondering if it was worth buying, I'm still running my Knight from civilian life.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

ah ok will try that. if I remember correctly holding down just gave me the radial menu where I had the option to drop the supply pack but I don't remember seeing the option to supply myself. i'll take another look

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Game super duper needs a simulator or gun range or something where you can just dork around and do all these different things, shoot a weapon at a bug's armor and see what it does, try out stuff before you unlock it and so on and so on.

Easy work around; find someone who has the gun unlocked, kill them get them killed wait for them to die and steal the gun when it drops on the ground, then try it out on your teammates the enemy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Owlbear Camus posted:

You pick your title the same place you pick your armor and primary/secondary. I think Space Cadet unlocks at 5.

I was disappointed Sergeant upgrades to Master Sergeant at 15 instead of Space Sergeant.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

How is the AP liberator? Been wondering if it was worth buying, I'm still running my Knight from civilian life.
It's... alright? I posted in this thread before about how I didn't think it was worth taking, but I gave it another shot and I do like it for higher-difficulty bug missions* where you start running into a lot of Brood Commanders and Hive Guards (the armoured versions of the regular warrior bugs), because it works well against them, but it's more of a side-grade to the regular Liberator so you really have to work with it to get real value out of it. Probably more of a niche pick than a must-have, but I definitely recommend just unlocking every gun to try for yourself.

*I actually find I prefer it over the Breaker on those missions, but don't tell anyone I said that :ssh:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

I'm not high enough to unlock the autocannon but I looted one and for some reason I was completely unable to reload it myself. I know it's supposed to be faster if someone else helps you reload but I thought you could kinda sorta do it on your own. Anyway I got to shoot it three times and then couldn't ever shoot again.

As people have mentioned you have to have the backpack to reload but i wanted to mention it also has two other fun intricacies.

It wont let you reload unless you can add a full mag worth of ammo (so if you only shot like two shots you cant top off) and if you shoot only the first magazine worth(around 5 shots) and reload, it only reloads the "first" clip and its much faster than a full reload.

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 23, 2024

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

1stGear posted:

I do hope future defense campaigns have a bit more mission variety. I don't want to fight on those planets any more purely because almost every operation is multiple defend missions and that loving scientist evacuation.

Heres the trick, you only need 1 of the 4 to open the doors. If your other 3 are making noise away from the doors the mission goes much smoother / faster. Enemies run towards noise

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

It's alright. I've found it's more useful against bots than bugs. I still take a Breaker for bug missions.

Played with some goons last night and a guy one-shot a titan with a fully charged arc to the mouth. That was pretty cool. Gun is a lot stronger than I thought.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

It has the worst damage per bullet, per mag and worst total damage potential for a full set of mags in the game. if it did 70 damage like the Defender it would be fun and good.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
After trying out the Dominator for a few missions I've decided what this thing really needs is like a 60 round magazine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A pubbie just jump packed ahead from all of us, landed, and launched an EAT into a Bile Titan's mouth and it killed him. What a hero. Obviously we were just calling in a ton of stratagems so he ate poo poo immediately after but I thought that was really cool.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

jokes posted:

A pubbie just jump packed ahead from all of us, landed, and launched an EAT into a Bile Titan's mouth and it killed him. What a hero. Obviously we were just calling in a ton of stratagems so he ate poo poo immediately after but I thought that was really cool.

That soldier went out in a blaze of democracy

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

After trying out the Dominator for a few missions I've decided what this thing really needs is like a 60 round magazine.

Is that the one with like the bolter rockets. It was fine but man the travel time on those threw me off hard.

Also they bounce off of devastator shields and i shot myself in the face

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have discovered that Stalkers suck

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

They're kinda OP.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Or to be clear they suck to fight.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it feels like if you see one your top priority needs to be tracking it back to its nest and shutting it down immediately.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Owl Inspector posted:

it feels like if you see one your top priority needs to be tracking it back to its nest and shutting it down immediately.

Absolutely. gently caress those things.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Walking Barrage seems like possibly one of the more useful barrages, thinking of all the times we're pinned down and need to get mortars or spawners just far enough away that we can't land an airstrike on it. Is the spread as crazy as the other barrages?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MonsterEnvy posted:

they super suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

When the Crusher panic sets in, that is when you look to the flamethrower man.