Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

guppy posted:

If you want to plan a move off VMWare, your main options are... Hyper-V?

XCP-NG has been a joy in some smaller production workloads and the developer firm's support has been great so far. You bet your rear end I'll be torture testing xosan2 (their next version of their hyperconverged storage) when it comes out next [redacted].

Compared to VMware VCF (the :airquote: cheapest :airquote: licensing of VMware you'll be allowed to buy/support soon), professional XCP-NG support is crazy loving inexpensive too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Gucci Loafers posted:

I also took a year off traveling after getting laid off - is that really that big of a red flag? And I am having a hell of time finding an Azure position for anything.

it's a big red flag if they question it. any company that takes issue with not spending your entire life working is not a company you want to work for because it's a good indication that their attitude towards work life balance is going to be bad.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

dc3k posted:

it's a big red flag if they question it. any company that takes issue with not spending your entire life working is not a company you want to work for because it's a good indication that their attitude towards work life balance is going to be bad.

This is the fight millennials and younger have now (and housing and racism and…) that the elder generations don’t understand. They have realised the bullshit of dedicating your life to The Job, and won’t comply any more. And I love them for it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The agreement was that if you go to school and get your qualifications then you get a job at a company that cares about you, pays into a pension, and puts you in a position to be able to afford a house. Then we had 2-3 recessions without recovering from the previous one and talk of putting the retirement age north of 70, I can't blame people for going "nah gently caress this".

Oh and then the people responsible for creating the above conditions after they lived through the longest period of sustained economic growth and convinced themselves it was their own grit and determination that got them there act all appalled when there's polling of people under 40 and it turns out they'd all dodge the draft at all costs if a war broke out.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 18, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

F4rt5 posted:

This is the fight millennials and younger have now (and housing and racism and…) that the elder generations don’t understand. They have realised the bullshit of dedicating your life to The Job, and won’t comply any more. And I love them for it.

Imo we'd have loved to continue the existing agreement with Capital, but Capital bailed. No or few pensions, bad job security, and a management landscape where executives are directly motivated to deliberately sabotage their workforce at least once each year in order to pump that one cooked unicorn quarter's bonuses as high as possible.

Thanks Ants posted:

The agreement was that if you go to school and get your qualifications then you get a job at a company that cares about you, pays into a pension, and puts you in a position to be able to afford a house. Then we had 2-3 recessions without recovering from the previous one and talk of putting the retirement age north of 70, I can't blame people for going "nah gently caress this".

Oh and then the people responsible for creating the above conditions after they lived through the longest period of sustained economic growth and convinced themselves it was their own grit and determination that got them there act all appalled when there's polling of people under 40 and it turns out they'd all dodge the draft at all costs if a war broke out.

All of this, essentially. Capital broke the deal first, and we know we exist only as bloodbags for the executive class and higher. My employer is great and I continue to work hard for it. However, as I look at the growing line of friends looking for work with technical skillsets often matching or exceeding my own, I completely understand how others our general age and younger have precisely 0.00% loyalty to their employers -- in reciprocity to the respect and loyalty they were granted by those very employers.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 18, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Over the last few months, I've been trying to coin a term for the practice of cooking books as much as possible for one massive quarter of maximized on-paper performance (and thus the subsequent maximized looting/bonuses to be paid out despite the competitive weakening of the corporation).

I kinda like Unicorn Quarter, or Cooked Unicorn, but it's not immediately obvious what the term refers to

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Roasted Unicorn Haunch?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Agrikk posted:

Or be straightforward-ish: “I took extended time off to recharge, do [very interesting hobbies], and live life. Now I’m fresh, motivated, and ready to kick ads at a new opportunity.”

That's basically it. I haven't take more than two weeks off since college over a decade ago and used my time traveling overseas. My family is also getting older and I helped out with one last family reunion.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 19, 2024

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Great start to a monday, laptop I was trying to reset for our new employee is stuck in a repair tool / boot loop. I have other laptops on hand I can use but also I'd still need to fix this eventually, so I guess that's what I'm doing today, I guess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Reoxygenation posted:

Great start to a monday, laptop I was trying to reset for our new employee is stuck in a repair tool / boot loop. I have other laptops on hand I can use but also I'd still need to fix this eventually, so I guess that's what I'm doing today, I guess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cattle not pets. Reimage that POS.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pour one out for the 10/100 8 port switch with 4 PoE ports that up and loving died when the power was cycled to a building over the weekend. I didn't install it and I don't know who the gently caress Pakedge is, but it lasted 9 or 10 years. It was lucky I had a spare tp-link gigabit equivalent on the shelf.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pakedge do (did?) high end AV gear for people's homes when they had too much money. Fairly sure the networking stuff was only ever a rebadging exercise.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanks Ants posted:

Pakedge do (did?) high end AV gear for people's homes when they had too much money. Fairly sure the networking stuff was only ever a rebadging exercise.

It was in an AV rack so that makes sense. I think the AV company that set it up just exclusively buys from AV suppliers even if it doesn't make that much sense in all cases. I feel like they specced this place out to maximize profit so for example the "HD" cameras are some Lifesize 720p video conferencing cameras, but then they get used to record public meetings which look pretty bad in 2024.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Cattle not pets. Reimage that POS.

Yeah I gave up 5 minutes after that, putting it on the pile of "to do later"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Potato Salad posted:

All of this, essentially. Capital broke the deal first, and we know we exist only as bloodbags for the executive class and higher.
This. When we started computer touching in the eighties, my husband's dad was very worried that we lost pensions by job switching. Ha. Ha haha. Back then there was a three-year rule: change jobs more often, you might be a flake. Change jobs less often, why didn't anybody else want you?

Three years. Seems like a long time now. Doesn't it?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

Yeah I gave up 5 minutes after that, putting it on the pile of "to do later"

Following up on this though I put all this effort into making sure that the new person's gear is ready for monday and I still don't have a moment booked as to when I'll be able to sit down with them and give them the stuff as well as do a few things like yknow setup MFA and do password resets. Good thing we are only wednesday right!!! Love doing poo poo last second!!!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanks Ants posted:

One thing I've learned in looking at replacement switches is that the niche that Pakedge has in this situation is that their switches have the ports in the rear and the lights on the front which is a somewhat specific AV-oriented configuration. In normal networking that would be a nightmare but for AV systems where you're networking a bunch of equipment in a single rack for an AV booth or something it makes more sense to plug all the components into the back of the thing instead of having cables in the front.

In looking for replacements I found that Pakedge, Crestron, and Netgear have more AV specific switches with this setup but tend to be a bit pricey. Netgear has a lot of PoE switches in this configuration in their M4250 AVLine products but they tend to be like $900+ since they're managed switches with a lot of ports.

Fortunately for me, I replaced the little unmanaged 8 port (with 4 port PoE) with this TP-Link I just happened to have on hand which has ports on the back for $60.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP0SSAS/

I think we'll just stick with that and I'll pick up a $20-30 1U shelf for it so it's not loose inside the rack. I didn't realize that the switch I had on hand was an oddball one that just happened to be the perfect replacement for this specific use case but I'm glad that I don't have to worry about replacing it again.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Rexxed posted:

One thing I've learned in looking at replacement switches is that the niche that Pakedge has in this situation is that their switches have the ports in the rear and the lights on the front which is a somewhat specific AV-oriented configuration. In normal networking that would be a nightmare but for AV systems where you're networking a bunch of equipment in a single rack for an AV booth or something it makes more sense to plug all the components into the back of the thing instead of having cables in the front.

In looking for replacements I found that Pakedge, Crestron, and Netgear have more AV specific switches with this setup but tend to be a bit pricey. Netgear has a lot of PoE switches in this configuration in their M4250 AVLine products but they tend to be like $900+ since they're managed switches with a lot of ports.

A lot of enterprise switches can do this - they have mounting screws for the rack ears on both sides. The only real issue is making sure to order them with the fan airflow going the correct direction for your application, but this is usually pretty straightforward.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Port LEDs on the front, cables on the rear. Not airflow.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This. When we started computer touching in the eighties, my husband's dad was very worried that we lost pensions by job switching. Ha. Ha haha. Back then there was a three-year rule: change jobs more often, you might be a flake. Change jobs less often, why didn't anybody else want you?

Three years. Seems like a long time now. Doesn't it?

I am a 35-year-old computer toucher and have been at the same company since I was a junior in college. I know a few guys who were interns with me or even before and are still there too. I could probably be making a lot more if I had been more aggressive at searching out new opportunities, but they keep me comfortable enough that it's hard to get motivated to deal with uncertainty.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

Port LEDs on the front, cables on the rear. Not airflow.

Ah right, reading too fast and didn't realize Rexxed meant the advantage was having the lights split from the ports.

The other advantage to Pakedge and the Netgear M line by the way is that they tend to have much better support for multicast than most enterprise switches, at least out of the box. Cisco switches generally can be configured to support reasonably well, but for instance Meraki just doesn't have good support for it until you get to the 300-400 series switches and even then it's pretty dicey. I've had some irritating experiences with AV setups trying to go over a Meraki network and having problems, and most of that is on Meraki for not quite supporting multicast correctly (it doesn't help that most people, and I'm absolutely 100% including myself in this, don't have a solid grasp of multicast until they have to re-figure it out after having last gone over it during the CCNA umpteen years ago).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Hello I am trying to connect to some destinations and nothing works please help"
"Ok, can you give me the address for one thing you're trying to connect to so I can troubleshoot"
"It's everything, nothing works!"

Please, you want help, I sort of want to help you. Meet me halfway here, just answer the questions.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanks Ants posted:

"Hello I am trying to connect to some destinations and nothing works please help"
"Ok, can you give me the address for one thing you're trying to connect to so I can troubleshoot"

Please, you want help, I sort of want to help you. Meet me halfway here, just answer the questions.

"Nothing never works, all the time!"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

My Xbox support days taught me that you need to pick a thing and get them to try connect to that. Have a list of poo poo to test and eventually a picture will emerge. It'll take loving ages and they'll question your methods, but eventually you will get there.

And tell them to call their ISP back.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Some people seriously need a metaphorical shoulder to cry on about their issue, or to hear some compassion. It really helps to just engage in some small talk and let them cry about how terrible everything is when <thing> is broken. Convince them that you understand how bad it is, and it's easier to extract useful diagnostic information. Letting the caller talk about their problem is also a good way to feel out what their technical level is, and what kinds of explanations and question phrasings are useful, or may be TMI.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

nielsm posted:

Some people seriously need a metaphorical shoulder to cry on about their issue, or to hear some compassion. It really helps to just engage in some small talk and let them cry about how terrible everything is when <thing> is broken. Convince them that you understand how bad it is, and it's easier to extract useful diagnostic information. Letting the caller talk about their problem is also a good way to feel out what their technical level is, and what kinds of explanations and question phrasings are useful, or may be TMI.

Not really an option when you're being rated on call resolution time.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Following this up again, I had to push to have a time on a friday at 3 pm, that's so cool man. This is after a big fanfare that they went to a different branch of the company to get a whole plan to accompany new employees on our end, but apparently we can't be hosed to set a time so I can finish their god drat computer setup. I'm so fed up with this poo poo lmfao

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I just wrote this huge long rant with way too many details and have deleted it because poo poo pissing me off: people just straight up lying?

Submitted a ticket to a guy. More than a week goes by, no response no update. This is a common problem with this guy and his team, to the point that my boss has had multiple meetings with his boss about it. My boss eventually pings his boss about my ticket and I just got a response from the guy of "oh, so sorry, I never saw the ticket because it was assigned to me directly. In the future always assign tickets to <a group that this guy is a member of, along with only like 2 other people??> and never to me personally". Like, what? First of all, our ticketing system has a "read by" list. He read the ticket as soon as I submitted it! And every single time it sent him a reminder email because of the escalating SLA due to no response!! Secondly, he doesn't know how to read a ticket that is assigned to him directly? This entire situation is because of a skills issue (on his part) but there is no way he is that incompetent. So, lying then? Just why?

arghhhhhh

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 23, 2024

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Throw that shithead under the bus.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's frustrating but I get more wound up these days by the managers of those sorts of people for choosing the low-effort route each time.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sirotan posted:

I just wrote this huge long rant with way too many details and have deleted it because poo poo pissing me off: people just straight up lying?

Submitted a ticket to a guy. More than a week goes by, no response no update. This is a common problem with this guy and his team, to the point that my boss has had multiple meetings with his boss about it. My boss eventually pings his boss about my ticket and I just got a response from the guy of "oh, so sorry, I never saw the ticket because it was assigned to me directly. In the future always assign tickets to <a group that this guy is a member of, along with only like 2 other people??> and never to me personally". Like, what? First of all, our ticketing system has a "read by" list. He read the ticket as soon as I submitted it! And every single time it sent him a reminder email because of the escalating SLA due to no response!! Secondly, he doesn't know how to read a ticket that is assigned to him directly? This entire situation is because of a skills issue (on his part) but there is no way he is that incompetent. So, lying then? Just why?

arghhhhhh

this might feel weird, but it's probably better to hang that guy by the rope that he didn't even realize he left out for himself than to allow that kind of lying to become tacitly permissible

nothing ruins a workplace quite like lies becoming standard

calmly explain the Read By history and the SLA notifications. protect your reputation, and don't signal that people can get away with lying around you.

this might feel uncomradely, but lying about not reading it and then lying about not getting notifications is malicious and you can't let that poo poo go unanswered. it's not a skill problem if what you're saying is true.

support people when they need support, give somebody cover when they need cover, but when someone is acting malicious? loving them with a rake is the best answer both for you and the quality of your workplace.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 24, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nielsm posted:

At least 10% of all IT work is therapy. Sometimes it's for your users, sometimes your peers, and sometimes you sneak in a call to your therapist on company time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

nielsm posted:

You are a kind person. Well done.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Pissing me off: the United Healthcare hack. I have been paged multiple times a day over the past 5 days for address blocks, and now I'm sitting on 15 tickets for "unable to access site".

No poo poo.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Oyster posted:

Pissing me off: the United Healthcare hack. I have been paged multiple times a day over the past 5 days for address blocks, and now I'm sitting on 15 tickets for "unable to access site".

No poo poo.

And this is how I find out. Their site was just working last night. :negative:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

poo poo pissing me off: the team that manages the company internal wiki just announced they are migrating to sharepoint

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Modern" Sharepoint having a wiki would be a useful feature, which I guess is why it doesn't have it unless you want your site to fall back to Classic

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

It's fine just use the wiki pages in Teams, technically that's stored in your Sharepoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Reoxygenation posted:

It's fine just use the wiki pages in Teams, technically that's stored in your Sharepoint

is there a loving wiki in teams???? are you joking?

e: the sharepoint online stuff in the browser i’m kind of coming round to; it’s almost preferable to having a bunch of weird special subfolders in onedrive for which editing stuff in the desktop office apps may or may not destroy all your work when it has a fit. it’s nice to have that stuff bookmarked in your browser, especially in my company where no one knows where anything is.

i’ve never been able to understand why anyone would ever want to edit anything inside teams tho. the world’s most mediocre chat app becoming the world’s worst spreadsheet experience

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 28, 2024