Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fishing with the fam posted:

Oh lord. I didn't play the DLC and only offhandedly recognize those other names as being from Dirge of Cerberus (which I never played). Thank you for the response. gently caress it. If I don't understand some stuff, I don't understand some stuff.

Honestly it's basically irrelevant to Rebirth, it's mostly just to inform Yuffie's backstory so if you get a flashback to a dude in an incredibly stupid jockstrap mask just know he killed Yuffie's pal and she feels guilty about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I played Dirge of Cerberus but I can't for the life of me remember what the actual plot was. There was that Deep Ground group (who were some Shin-Ra thing, I think?) and uhhhh an underground city? And for some reason, if I recall correctly, the final boss was a collection of shapes in some kind of plane extending infinitely in all directions? Am I remembering that right? Also for some reason that Gackt guy was there?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The Avalanche cell Yuffie meets in Intergrade is weird in that I can't tell if their supposed to be associated with the same assault rifles and uniforms outfit that raided the supply depot Jesse has you hit in Remake since their way more mild in their aims then Barret's crew.

If I remember right they half the reason they wanted to work with Wutai was because they REALLY didn't ninja to shake hands with the 7th Heaven cell, and not long after meeting with them Yuffie and Sonon are both like "This moderate action poo poo is lame, we should go be friends with this Wallace guy."

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just looked up the plot to Dirge of Cerberus and 1) I don't remember most of this poo poo and 2) good Lord it sounds dumb as hell.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

I just looked up the plot to Dirge of Cerberus and 1) I don't remember most of this poo poo and 2) good Lord it sounds dumb as hell.

It really is exceptionally dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

The Avalanche cell Yuffie meets in Intergrade is weird in that I can't tell if their supposed to be associated with the same assault rifles and uniforms outfit that raided the supply depot Jesse has you hit in Remake since their way more mild in their aims then Barret's crew.

If I remember right they half the reason they wanted to work with Wutai was because they REALLY didn't ninja to shake hands with the 7th Heaven cell, and not long after meeting with them Yuffie and Sonon are both like "This moderate action poo poo is lame, we should go be friends with this Wallace guy."

They are. They're also connected to the ones who raid Shinra later. Keep in mind that 'less extremist' doesn't mean they're not willing to fight, they're just far more willing to be passive and wait for an opportunity and strike very specifically, compared to Barret and friends who are going "We're literally going to blow up every loving reactor, drat the consequences."

Basically there are three Avalanches in the (EU) setting.

The first was an extremist group who was secretly funded by Rufus who he basically set up as "gently caress you, dad" groups. However members the actual group were *extreme* eco-terrorists on the level of "We need to kill humanity so the planet can heal." They were defeated by the Before Crisis group of Turks. They're basically irrelevant except for an offhand mention in Remake about how Avalanche tried an assassination before and when Yuffie mentioned teaming up with them in the DLC.

The remains of the first (i.e: the non-insane ones) became the "HQ" Avalanche, who are militant but not willing to go batshit kill everyone crazy and focus on targeted strikes. They're allied with Wutai. If Rufus is funding them still is not 100% clear but implied.

Barret's group is a spinoff of #2 who the main HQ technically considers part of the organization but since they are trending towards the "kill a whole lot of loving people" side of things, they don't really want to support them in any way beyond maybe leaking information to them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 23, 2024

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How important is it to know the events of Crisis Core to Rebirth? I am guessing fairly important, given the ending to Remake and the stinger to the Yuffie DLC, but I am approaching the point where while i do not think CC Reunion is terrible, I am starting to consider just watching a LP at this point.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The only thing I remember about Dirge is all the bad guys had names that were “Color the Color”

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Vincent's love interest in that game was an eight year old girl.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unlucky7 posted:

How important is it to know the events of Crisis Core to Rebirth? I am guessing fairly important, given the ending to Remake and the stinger to the Yuffie DLC, but I am approaching the point where while i do not think CC Reunion is terrible, I am starting to consider just watching a LP at this point.

It's not totally clear (trailer and demo spoilers here, nothing beyond that). Like, Genesis isn't in the Nibelheim flashback, but also at least one minor character from Crisis Core appears in one of the trailers.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Weiss the Immaculate is cool

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Not like super 100% essential except insomuch as Zack is a presence and characters/references to things that happen in it appear.

It isn't a case of "You NEED to play this to understand"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Unlucky7 posted:

I still can't get over a character named Angeal which just looks and sounds like a spelling error

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I still can't get over a character named Angeal which just looks and sounds like a spelling error

Ironically it's actually the same basic logic as Aerith. It's the word Angel (in English) slightly adjusted to be a name, ala Earth/Aerith.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Welcome to Aerith
*punches Jenova*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the funniest thing about FF7 is that some characters have the most ridiculous names and others are named like Zack, Vincent and Rufus.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This terror of the deep guy is hard as balls after barely touching this combat for four years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

stev posted:

This terror of the deep guy is hard as balls after barely touching this combat for four years.

For what it's worth that boss is like 5-6 bosses into the game so you're going in a bit blindsided.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

sometimes you have to have a Jared in your game to avenge

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Here's the best I could find for The First Soldier story:
Chapter 1-4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

I know this is unsurprising but it's super boring and doesn't really add much aside from some more character for Sephiroth when you get to Chapters 5 & 6. I cannot recommend watching it.

Thanks, definitely sounds like something to look at while doing something else.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think my favorite part of the Junon demo is how excited Aerith looks that she has such a high bounty

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Harrow posted:

I think my favorite part of the Junon demo is how excited Aerith looks that she has such a high bounty

Maybe Aerith's a big One Piece fan?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I genuinely like that Aerith is someone who seems genuinely excited by stuff like that. It would have been super easy to paint her as a super pacifist who is upset by fighting but nah, she thinks it is awesome she has a high bounty and she'll borrow Barret's sunglasses to do a cool combo attack and she will abso-loving-lutely hit you with a steel chair.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly the funniest thing about FF7 is that some characters have the most ridiculous names and others are named like Zack, Vincent and Rufus.

In the Japanese, Zack is "Zacks" (or I guess you could write it "Zax" or something)

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I managed to limp through the boss battle in the demo (I didn’t realize it would trigger when it did but I guess in retrospect I should have) and the biggest problem with the battle system was me. I’m used to playing Tales of Arise which is heavy on dodging so I kept trying to dodge instead of blocking. Gotta get used to perfect-blocking everything.

Yeah, I've noticed that dodging seems very unreliable. You'll frequently get hit even when you dodge and the enemy attack animation doesn't touch you. Blocking seems a lot more reliable.

It seems like block should be the default "reactive" defense, with dodge maybe just reserved for heavily telegraphed attacks that you're confident you can avoid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

In the Japanese, Zack is "Zacks"

Weirdly that isn't the case. It was originally written as "Zax" in some English material but they standardized the writing of it it to "Zack" around the time of Crisis Core.

Also a fun fact, the reason why he is named Zack/Zak/etc is because the in-data name for the two soldiers in the Nibelheim Flashback was a pun: Zak (the one who was Cloud) and Zako. (Small-fry/cannon fodder/etc.) Since they didn't intend Zack to be a big deal at the time they just gave him a goofy name pun that nobody but the developers would see.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Weirdly that isn't the case. It was originally written as "Zax" in some English material but they standardized the writing of it it to "Zack" around the time of Crisis Core.

Also a fun fact, the reason why he is named Zaks/Zaxs/etc is because the in-data name for the two soldiers in the Nibelheim Flashback was a pun: Zak (the one who was Cloud) and Zako. (Small-fire/cannon fodder/etc.) Since they didn't intend Zack to be a big deal at the time they just gave him a goofy name pun that nobody but the developers would see.

That's the writing of it, but it's vocally "Zakkusu." So I guess what I'm saying is that Zack originally also had a weird name, that just ended up becoming a "normal" one for the English release (and later the English written form of his name was standardized to also being Zack, but it's still said as "Zacks/Zax" in the Japanese).

edit: It was a bit of a bummer when I realized this while playing Crisis Core in Japanese, since I'm a real-life Zach

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Also a fun fact, the reason why he is named Zack/Zak/etc is because the in-data name for the two soldiers in the Nibelheim Flashback was a pun: Zak (the one who was Cloud) and Zako. (Small-fry/cannon fodder/etc.) Since they didn't intend Zack to be a big deal at the time they just gave him a goofy name pun that nobody but the developers would see.

Wait, is this why the lovely cannon fodder mechs in Gundam are called Zaku?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Asterite34 posted:

Maybe Aerith's a big One Piece fan?
Here's how the story goes, we find out
That the planet's dyin' Cloud, there's no doubt

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Correct!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Asterite34 posted:

The wiki has this to say about this specific thing:

quote:

In Final Fantasy VII, the game code calls the two infantrymen during Cloud's telling of the Nibelheim Incident, "Zax" and "Zako";[48] "Zax" is what Zack is called in Japanese and "Zako" is a vulgar Japanese word that refers to someone as worthless cannon fodder. "Zako" would be the infantryman who goes missing after the bridge falls, meaning "Zax" is actually Cloud, a play on their role reversal in Cloud's faulty telling of the events.

So unless the wiki is wrong (which, granted, is entirely possible), it seems like "Zax" was actually in the code (and seems to be how the name was originally English-ified for the Japanese developers before being localized into Zack.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm gonna kick it old school and just start calling Aerith Earisu. I'll let my listeners do their own localizing in their head.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My favorite characters Clod, Bullet, Euphie, Shid and Anakin.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that dodging seems very unreliable. You'll frequently get hit even when you dodge and the enemy attack animation doesn't touch you. Blocking seems a lot more reliable.

It seems like block should be the default "reactive" defense, with dodge maybe just reserved for heavily telegraphed attacks that you're confident you can avoid.

This is exactly how it was in 7Remake: your primary method of damage mitigation is defending, and dodging is more about repositioning.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Namnesor posted:

This is exactly how it was in 7Remake: your primary method of damage mitigation is defending, and dodging is more about repositioning.

I think in Remake (at least on Normal) it was just a lot more doable to eat poo poo constantly and still win (and a large portion, if not majority, of the game could basically just be played like an action game with Cloud without running into too much trouble).

I'm going to try to actually play better this time around (and it seems like it'll be necessary judging from the demo if I don't want all major fights to be slogs where I'm constantly having to heal myself).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dodging seems a lot better in this game tbh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rebirth gives you a lot of tools to play around with, Synergy Abilities being arguably one of the most game-changing.

In case it isn't clear, Synergy Abilities are charged up by 1 bar/ATB ability used. (Used, not spent, Pray or other multi-ATB abilities only fill one bar. Some abilities won't fill ATB bars or require you to succeed, but most of them just need to be used.) Each character needs to have the specific amount required (Usually 3 or more bars) and then you can trigger it at any time without any ATB cost, and they function as a pretty powerful attack, probably on par with a level 1 Limit Break.

In addition to the damage though they also have unique bonuses. Any one with a yellow icon will raise your Limit level to 2 (and later 3 if you do it more than once) and L2 limit breaks are much stronger than L1 Limit Breaks so you damage output increases massively. Red ones raise Stagger time and do a ton of general stagger damage. Purple ones give both characters infinite MP for a reasonable chunk of time. This generally means you want to be using Synergy Attack as often as you can because the sheer damage output of them is ridiculous, which also means you need to swap characters regularly to build up ATB charges (and thus synergy charges) on each.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Dodging seems a lot better in this game tbh

Dodging has been significantly improved, there are notably more iframes than before, but you can still eat poo poo against fast-moving attacks. Synergy dodges also can be very useful for that reason and sometimes a synergy dodge will give you more iframes than a standard one. It's more reliable to dodge than in Remake but you still need to block as needed, and spamming dodges will tend to get you hit more than timing them right.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My main takeaway from the open world part of the demo: all part 3 needs is a jump button and it'll be perfect.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

In addition to the damage though they also have unique bonuses. Any one with a yellow icon will raise your Limit level to 2 (and later 3 if you do it more than once) and L2 limit breaks are much stronger than L1 Limit Breaks so you damage output increases massively. Red ones raise Stagger time and do a ton of general stagger damage. Purple ones give both characters infinite MP for a reasonable chunk of time. This generally means you want to be using Synergy Attack as often as you can because the sheer damage output of them is ridiculous, which also means you need to swap characters regularly to build up ATB charges (and thus synergy charges) on each.

Since synergy "moves" (or whatever you call the ones that don't cost anything) build ATB for both characters, is there any incentive to spam them frequently? Like when you switch to character, are you incentivized to toss out a synergy move at some point before moving on to the next character? I could see that being kind of annoying if so. Maybe there's diminishing returns if you repeat the same one multiple times in a short period?

From how you describe things, it sounds like abilities that use multiple ATB charges are significantly worse by comparison, since you could use the same ATB charges to build further towards a synergy attack.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Although it's pretty amazing that one of your best options for aerial combat is to just yeet Tifa like a softball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Just finished INTERmission and I'm extremely disappointed that the scene with the sector 7 plate falling didn't pan over to show a stuffed cat wailing in anguish simultaneously with Yuffie.