Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I practice in front of a mirror to work on all my bend faces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's what powers the pre-amp and built-in tuner.
If there's enough wind on the strings you may be able to just get them loose enough to fit your hand it and start feeling around, but yeah it definitely shouldn't just be flopping in there

I was ultimately able to find the velcro patch and navigate the battery onto it with the aid of my father's trusty sword(-shaped letter opener). Kind of a weird way to attach it but I guess they didn't want to do the thing where the guitar has a plastic battery hatch?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

I can't play in a mirror the delay fucks me up

Are you sitting several light seconds from the mirror?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My practice space is exactly 149,896,229 meters wide, what of it. The nice thing is 10 days later when the echo reaches me I can listen back to my performance.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Baron von Eevl posted:

My practice space is exactly 149,896,229 meters wide, what of it. The nice thing is 10 days later when the echo reaches me I can listen back to my performance.

I'm gonna need the specs of that half stack you're using to crush the inverse square law beneath your riffs

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

PathAsc posted:

I'm gonna need the specs of that half stack you're using to crush the inverse square law beneath your riffs

*slaps headshell* Ampeg V4’ll do it.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Baron von Eevl posted:

You delay snobs are really bringing your A game these days

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I practice inside a black hole. Once my solos shred hard enough to escape the event horizon I know I am ready for the big time.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
hell yeah

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
I’ve been playing guitar for over a year and don’t feel like I’ve made that much progress. Wish I had the discipline to practice every day. And not just random noodling but proper, good practice.

Grum
May 7, 2007
Possibly the idea that you need to practice Right is the issue. just pick a song and learn it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

yeah, just treat it like any other practical skill

like carpentry or something
you could practice planing and making weird joints forever but eventually you've just gotta bang out a couple lovely chairs and eventually you'll be making good chairs

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Best thing I ever did was get a Teacher/mentor. I went from struggling to having actual direction and someone to ask when I was having issues.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Xaerael posted:

Best thing I ever did was get a Teacher/mentor. I went from struggling to having actual direction and someone to ask when I was having issues.

How often did you see your teacher? And for how long? An hour session once a week?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

30 mins a week with a proper music teacher. It was a complete game changer because of the way it gave me goals and structured lessons.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

I might have to start looking into getting a tutor. Also thinking of buying a book as I’ve only been doing online lessons.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i practice inside shrodinger's box he puts the cat in so that simultaneously i'm practicing and not practicing

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
For anyone wondering about Our Boy Pat Finnerty, he threw out the l4 again and finally got surgery to fix it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Baron von Eevl posted:

For anyone wondering about Our Boy Pat Finnerty, he threw out the l4 again and finally got surgery to fix it.

Back pain is no joke, especially for a gigging musician oof

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

prayers up for pat

lot more lovely songs out there in dire need of a lighthearted yet thorough dissection

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Baron von Eevl posted:

for a second i got pat and finn mckenty mixed up and immediately got out my dark magic stuff, but once i remembered i'm throwing all my prayers up for pat

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Heard that Monster Truck song on the radio today (though curiously without Rob Ritchie) and thought of him.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Xaerael posted:

I mean, I'd not been playing for years when Bocchi came out because of a nasty wrist injury from a fall, and when the first few mins involved her throwing her dad's custom LP on, I looked at my old Epi custom and felt like I'd been neglecting a child. It totally revived my drive to play again, and I've been slowly rebuilding my collection that I'd mostly sold because I got emo about not being able to play (I sold two Icemans that I was kicking myself daily about until Ibanez released the new ones just before xmas last year which I totally bought one of).

I really need to put better pickups in that old Korean Epi though, because it's a lovely LP that sustains for years, but the Pickups in it sound like rear end which just puts me off playing it.

Bocchi one hundred million percent got me back into playing this past year after 5+ years of not looking at my guitars. Unfortunately it's now busy season at work for me and I'm hoping the hyper-fixation survives till after April when I have free time to play again .

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ColdPie posted:

I saw Alvvays pre-pandemic, glad to hear they're still kicking.

their newest album ranges from pretty good to excellent IMO

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Laurenz posted:

I might have to start looking into getting a tutor. Also thinking of buying a book as I’ve only been doing online lessons.

yeah dogg you need a teacher

10 weeks with a teacher is worth like 2+ years of self-directed practice IMO, total gamechanger especially for beginners

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

trilobite terror posted:

yeah dogg you need a teacher

10 weeks with a teacher is worth like 2+ years of self-directed practice IMO, total gamechanger especially for beginners

Discipline is something I struggle with so yeah I feel like it would be a big help having someone set me assignments/“homework” to do rather than just trying to set them myself.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

It's also just nice to have someone to say "I'm struggling with [technique], can you help me with that?"

I was abysmal at all sorts of things, now I'm significantly less terrible thanks to having a teacher to cry to.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Laurenz posted:

Discipline is something I struggle with so yeah I feel like it would be a big help having someone set me assignments/“homework” to do rather than just trying to set them myself.

Lessons have been the thing that made guitar stick for my partner after several attempts at the instrument. The value of accountability and guidance cannot be overstated, imo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

muike posted:

for a second i got pat and finn mckenty mixed up and immediately got out my dark magic stuff, but once i remembered i'm throwing all my prayers up for pat

one of them sucks and is a cop loving small business-brained straightedge-adjacent self-help lolbertarian with the world’s most basic-rear end takes and one of them does not and is not, seems pretty cut and dry to me

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

trilobite terror posted:

one of them sucks and is a cop loving small business-brained straightedge-adjacent self-help lolbertarian with the world’s most basic-rear end takes and one of them does not and is not, seems pretty cut and dry to me

dude, that is a hive level amount of buzzwords. chill

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

dude, that is a hive level amount of buzzwords. chill

“loves cops” is a buzzword?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

trilobite terror posted:

what i glean from this is that muike thinks that all irish are the same

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
one of them has cool chill fans that live for Beato Bombs and remember the first time they heard August Is Falling back in the summer of 2005 and the other has fans that subscribe to a channel called “Punk Rock MBA”

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

trilobite terror posted:

i think im having a stroke

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

trilobite terror posted:

Yea same dude for sure

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

trilobite terror posted:

“loves cops” is a buzzword?

you suck

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Finn Mckenty account spotted

hey man, why do you think bad religion sucks?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
boooo

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's super hard to get bood in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

punk rock mba is the funniest phrase

there's nothing punk about getting a degree in power point and there's certainly nothing cool about bragging about having one