Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Anagnorisis is the largest map in the pack by a considerable margin, and I'm pretty sure Dehydration has got to be the second largest, so you're basically set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sweet, cheers, maybe I'll wrap it up this weekend. I can see why it's such a beloved set!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
If you get around to it I'd be interested to see what your opinion is on the sequel as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I will def play Eviternity II, not back to back though. Sometime later this year

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I recently wrapped up Eviternity and, weirdly, I wasn't a huge fan of the final 4-5 maps. I think the heavenly aesthetic didn't really appeal to me much, even though it was quite different from what you'd find in most WADs. Great WAD overall though.

Currently on Map 15 or 16 of Sunlust.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The first level of the hell episode kicked rear end. Much needed shot of adrenaline after the more subdued hydroelectric dam flavored episode 4. Except I didn't have enough ammo to kill the cybie at the end, that level really need a berserk pack! I did miss a secret so maybe it does.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

In Training posted:

The first level of the hell episode kicked rear end. Much needed shot of adrenaline after the more subdued hydroelectric dam flavored episode 4. Except I didn't have enough ammo to kill the cybie at the end, that level really need a berserk pack! I did miss a secret so maybe it does.

Yeah Episode 5 was great, and I really liked its aesthetic overall--appropriately hellish. I don't believe Imperishable has a berserk pack whatsoever, and I ended up running right by the Cyberdemon at the very end as well.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

real doom heads (insane people) punch out the pinkies with the regular fist so they have the cells for the cybie

it takes... a while...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Man, after a few days of wrestling with it on and off, I've finally completed Sunlust Map 15 "Strength and Anger" pistol start + UV with 1 "midpoint" save. That was a fuckin tough map.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Man, after a few days of wrestling with it on and off, I've finally completed Sunlust Map 15 "Strength and Anger" pistol start + UV with 1 "midpoint" save. That was a fuckin tough map.

drat, nice work. Having a single save makes it waaaaay tougher.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

did you find the secret exit

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

did you find the secret exit

no :mad:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

there's a series (four in any order) of very tiny switches in the very last room.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Imp Zone WAD is pretty good! Even the maps that are clearly Baby's First are fun to play. Makes me feel like I should relax more about scrutinizing my own projects.

That one that's just a long corridor starting with a huge damaging floor and a plasma rifle and ending in a cyberdemon fight made me laugh though.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
after a bunch of reps to get through the last bit of the previous fight (after having to restart due to pisspoor cell mgmt) im now at the infamous crusher maze in SNDR17 Archives of the Technomancer. sounds fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Imp Zone WAD is pretty good! Even the maps that are clearly Baby's First are fun to play. Makes me feel like I should relax more about scrutinizing my own projects.

That one that's just a long corridor starting with a huge damaging floor and a plasma rifle and ending in a cyberdemon fight made me laugh though.

It is a very good interpretation of a shmup in Doom, I liked it too. Glad you enjoyed the set.

I am now entering the final chapter of Eviternity 1, the first map here (MAP26) is quite the looker but I had to take a break as the action is pretty drat breakneck. need a wind down after playing thru the hell maps in the same sitting. the hell chapter was awesome though and a very good variety of hellish-themes - the mappers pretty regularly went outside the fire & brimstone look and even managed to blend in some techno-barbarism here and there. Great set of maps, I especially liked the density of MAP24's layout. Impressive re-visitation sprinkled throughout.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

It is a very good interpretation of a shmup in Doom, I liked it too. Glad you enjoyed the set.

I am now entering the final chapter of Eviternity 1, the first map here (MAP26) is quite the looker but I had to take a break as the action is pretty drat breakneck. need a wind down after playing thru the hell maps in the same sitting. the hell chapter was awesome though and a very good variety of hellish-themes - the mappers pretty regularly went outside the fire & brimstone look and even managed to blend in some techno-barbarism here and there. Great set of maps, I especially liked the density of MAP24's layout. Impressive re-visitation sprinkled throughout.

I've always liked maps that fold out on themselves and reuse areas, gives you that Dark Souls you've unlocked a shortcut feeling but in FPS form.

I'm still cruising the DBP mapsets, about to finish out 2018. So far only one month has really poo poo the bed (November's Vicarious Reality :barf: ). Luckily the Christmas set has been good fun so far.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm finally getting around to playing Augur;Zenith and I'm enjoying it a lot! Very impressive use of verticality and complexity so far (four maps in) and the vibe is immaculate.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Brolander posted:

Map 8: Kept Ya Waiting...for what? A good map to start? Ha ha I am kidding, I've never even tried to make a map so I cannot judge too harshly. But I did not look for nor find any secrets, just the exit if that says anything. It did feel sort of like a prank. I expected to be able to jump into the sky at the end

it's a pretty accurate recreation of Shadow Moses Island from Metal Gear Solid, except the encounter design falls off like a tranq dart at 30 meters the further you get. Psycho Mantis in particular put some weight on, drat. The part where Snake is chased up the stairs with a constant alert going on would seem to lend itself perfectly to the Doom format and yet there's maybe a dozen zombies/shotgunners with a single chaingun guy. Wasted potential.

There are some cute bits; the shotgun in the helipad area represents a truck where you'd find the SOCOM handgun in MGS1 and the little clusters of potions/helmets are nice to have if you get clipped by a hitscanner. Overall it's kind of underwhelming. The lack of custom textures really hurts the map, but not as much as the obvious teleports from exteriors to interiors. A map like that is really ugly without Boom's silent teleporters; it reminded me of the old Goldeneye TC and not in a good way.

fyi MAP31 is also based on a famous map from another game but I enjoyed it way more.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 26, 2024

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

playing through the imp zone wad and it's fun so far. map 31 and 32 were both great

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

32 is a funny joke for the first second when you open up the map and see the monster/item/secret and then also a total blast to play and then hilarious again for the final sprint.

The MGS interpretation definitely could feel tarranon just ran out of time in the 3week window to fulfill their ambition, but it's a very cute peek at how it could all really kick rear end if given some proper TLC. I do love their version of the Liquid fight, and it's got a cute car at the end.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The MGS one is one that I think definitely suffered from the (entirely correct) decision to limit custom scripting, textures etc. It still made me laugh a bunch so I wouldn't call it a failure by any means

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did not really like MAP26 of Eviternity - I appreciated what they were going for w/ an ammo starved, wide open slaughter fest but it felt more stressful than fun. And I especially like it less after playing MAP27 because it was basically the same idea pulled off with 10x the aplomb!

The visual of casting the hellish tower out of heaven was pretty awesome though, I gotta give props for that.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Captain Walker posted:

it's a pretty accurate recreation of Shadow Moses Island from Metal Gear Solid, except the encounter design falls off like a tranq dart at 30 meters the further you get. Psycho Mantis in particular put some weight on, drat. The part where Snake is chased up the stairs with a constant alert going on would seem to lend itself perfectly to the Doom format and yet there's maybe a dozen zombies/shotgunners with a single chaingun guy. Wasted potential.

There are some cute bits; the shotgun in the helipad area represents a truck where you'd find the SOCOM handgun in MGS1 and the little clusters of potions/helmets are nice to have if you get clipped by a hitscanner. Overall it's kind of underwhelming. The lack of custom textures really hurts the map, but not as much as the obvious teleports from exteriors to interiors. A map like that is really ugly without Boom's silent teleporters; it reminded me of the old Goldeneye TC and not in a good way.

fyi MAP31 is also based on a famous map from another game but I enjoyed it way more.

That makes way more sense, I never played any of those games so lost on my fake-gamer rear end. Just ribbing, Tarranon, I am now enlightened and know of the Work that was done heah

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Brolander posted:

That makes way more sense, I never played any of those games so lost on my fake-gamer rear end. Just ribbing, Tarranon, I am now enlightened and know of the Work that was done heah

Don't forgive him. Kick his rear end and kill him

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

My Sunlust "run" has become more of a brutal crawl. The UV Pistol Start rules would be one thing, but my "one save per map" has definitely developed a bite as the maps progress. But I am too stubborn to back down now. MAP 18 "Mu Cephei" took several days of attempts on and off, but it is over now; it is all down hill :buddy:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My Sunlust "run" has become more of a brutal crawl. The UV Pistol Start rules would be one thing, but my "one save per map" has definitely developed a bite as the maps progress. But I am too stubborn to back down now. MAP 18 "Mu Cephei" took several days of attempts on and off, but it is over now; it is all down hill :buddy:

Have you played Sunlust before? MAP28 and MAP30 have extremely obvious one-midlevel-save places when you’ve played the map before, but you likely won’t know them going your first time through.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

Have you played Sunlust before? MAP28 and MAP30 have extremely obvious one-midlevel-save places when you’ve played the map before, but you likely won’t know them going your first time through.

Nope! I've gone in completely blind, beyond vaguely understanding that it's supposed to be a tough WAD.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've been trying that with Sunder and, er, lets just say that trying to restrict myself to one save per map didn't survive first contact with map 5, Precarious.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Nope! I've gone in completely blind, beyond vaguely understanding that it's supposed to be a tough WAD.

Do you want some hopefully spoiler-mostly-free advice about where to save then?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

Do you want some hopefully spoiler-mostly-free advice about where to save then?

Sure!

khwarezm posted:

I've been trying that with Sunder and, er, lets just say that trying to restrict myself to one save per map didn't survive first contact with map 5, Precarious.

Oh man, Sunder. I need to try that WAD out again one day. Maybe next. I remember getting to Map 15 or 16 before getting distracted by something else--in no small part because of how brutal it had gotten.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Don't forgive him. Kick his rear end and kill him

brb buying a berserk pack from Walgreens

khwarezm posted:

yeah F that rule for Sunder. I made it past the crusher maze in 17 with 1 save I think, technically 2 but the first one is after the initial clearing out, before you hit the switch that really fills that sucker up. The "real" save is after I stay alive long enough for them to collect mostly on one side so I can punch thru to the empty parts and breathe a little+get ammo and health. if that is scumming. then im scum baby

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Whoops sorry I got distracted and forgot to respond with my ideas. I don't have ideas for every map, but these are the ones that stick out from a quick scan.

MAP20: after you return to the main area from the cellblock.
MAP23: this map is extremely fluid and non-linear. i'd just save whenever you've got about half the enemy count dead and aren't currently in combat.
MAP24: after you've cleared out the white stone block texture maze. alternatively, just before the giant square of archviles (you'll know it when you see it.)
MAP25: this is one of those maps where you can go two ways at the start, but really there's one that's far better than the other. in this map you want to do the side with all the hell knights/barons and the rocket launcher first. save after you finish the staircase fight and go back to do the other side.
MAP27: when you start this level, you're facing a long bridge with a door. go into the area behind you first, then save before going into the door across the bridge.
MAP28: this level has two exits. if you want the easy exit, save after you get either key (blue and yellow) and return to the starting area. if you want the REAL DOOMER exit, save after getting BOTH keys and then you can discover how deep the rabbit hole really goes.
MAP29: good luck! (you'll know why when you get here). the famous fight is NOT the one you want to save for. instead, later in the level you'll go outside and start traversing toxic water with very small platforms and a bunch of pillars obviously stuffed full of enemies. you want to save before you start exploring this area, because it's very easy to die super quickly to RNG to the fights there.
MAP30: save before you step into the pillar of light for the first time. note that this is seriously like an hour into the map, you're only halfway done at that point. if you want to give yourself a break due to the size then an appropriate extra save in the first half is when you enter the cathedral; an appropriate extra save in the second half is after you clear out the main area, but before you start opening the doors that exit from it.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 27, 2024

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Hey awesome, thanks for the info!

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The good news is that if you can get through MAP20 you can definitely make it through the rest.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh boy, let me talk about map 29/map 30...
It's definitively doable, but you are going to have to 'train', playing first with saves, playing each fight several times, and then restarting the map and doing attempts for the 'one save per map' run.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 27, 2024

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

In Training posted:

I did not really like MAP26 of Eviternity - I appreciated what they were going for w/ an ammo starved, wide open slaughter fest but it felt more stressful than fun. And I especially like it less after playing MAP27 because it was basically the same idea pulled off with 10x the aplomb!

The visual of casting the hellish tower out of heaven was pretty awesome though, I gotta give props for that.

Map 26 is where I threw in the towel. Shame, because I was really enjoying it up to that point.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh boy, let me talk about map 29/map 30...
It's definitively doable, but you are going to have to 'train', playing first with saves, playing each fight several times, and then restarting the map and doing attempts for the 'one save per map' run.

For sure, it becomes a sort of puzzle--only, you can gently caress up just moving the "pieces" around. Currently working on Map 19 "Blood Geometry", where you're assailed by a Cyberdemon, arch-viles, revenants, and a mancubus from the get-go. So it's been a process of figuring out, "okay I'll start by luring the revenants into the Cyberdemon's volley, then sprint to the left, pick these things up, take out this arch-vile..." etc. and sort of working the "pieces" into place.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey awesome, thanks for the info!

I tweaked the suggestion for MAP27 to make it a bit clearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Augur;Zenith Map 15: I've always wanted to see that Killer7 reference in a Doom WAD. Easily my favorite map so far. Thanks to SuperCupcakeTactics for making that happen.