Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
A better analogy is chemotherapy.

The chemo might kill you faster than the cancer if you're unlucky, but if you do nothing, the cancer will definitely kill you.

We aren't being edgy when we talk about the status quo ante being a slow genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Esran posted:

A better analogy is chemotherapy.

The chemo might kill you faster than the cancer if you're unlucky, but if you do nothing, the cancer will definitely kill you.

We aren't being edgy when we talk about the status quo ante being a slow genocide.

I know it's not the intention, but calling what is happening in Gaza chemotherapy in any context invites some really unfortunate parallels, especially considering some rhetoric by Israeli officials.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
You misunderstand. I wasn't calling what Israel is doing in Gaza chemotherapy.

I was disagreeing with IBMS calling Hamas' attack on October 7th "chopping your leg off to remove an ingrown toenail". I think that's a gross misreading of what is happening, and it's minimizing how bad the situation was for the Palestinians before October 7th.

I'm saying a better analogy is that Palestine has cancer (Israel's genocide, which was going on way before October 7th), and they get to choose between letting that continue, or trying to do something about it.

Edit: Though obviously an even better idea is to not make bad analogies, everyone understands what's happening without them.

Esran fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 23, 2024

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Main Paineframe posted:

The US is not out there forcing Israel to commit genocide. Nor is it playing some absolutely vital role here where the genocide would be impossible without their help (unlike, say, Egypt, whose active cooperation in blockading Gaza's southern border has been crucial to Israel's starvation policies).

The US is accountable for supporting Israel despite its genocidal policies, but Israel was perfectly capable of genocide long before the US government started aiding it (and, indeed, was successfully carrying out this genocide for decades before the US government started giving it significant aid).

well if the genocide's going to happen anyway, we might as well support it, supply it and give it diplomatic cover

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

theCalamity posted:

“Arab backed” sounds like fearmongering. It’s definitely making me remember that one old lady who spoke to John McCain and said she didn’t trust Obama because he’s Arab. At the very least, it’s indelicate. Al Jazeera’s “Arab nations, led by Algeria” is a much better handling of it.

Actually she said she didn't trust Obama because he was a Muslim. And then of course McCain responded with "No no, he's not Muslim, he's a good man". :wtc:

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Moktaro posted:

Actually she said she didn't trust Obama because he was a Muslim. And then of course McCain responded with "No no, he's not Muslim, he's a good man". :wtc:

You may be misremembering it

Video of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrnRU3ocIH4

And an article about it
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/8/25/17782572/john-mccain-barack-obama-statement-2008-video

quote:

“I can’t trust Obama. I have read about him, and he’s not, um, he’s an Arab,” a woman said to McCain at a town hall meeting in Lakeville, Minnesota in October 2008.

McCain grabbed the microphone from her, cutting her off. “No, ma’am,” he said. “He’s a decent family man [and] citizen that just I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues, and that’s what the campaign’s all about. He’s not [an Arab].”

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Context guys, the 'arab' accusation was that he was lying about being a natural born citizen and that his agenda was secretly to destroy America as part of a long term Muslim sleeper agent plot.

When McCain said 'he's a good guy' he's clearly refuting the wider conspiracy the woman was talking about.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

The US is not out there forcing Israel to commit genocide. Nor is it playing some absolutely vital role here where the genocide would be impossible without their help (unlike, say, Egypt, whose active cooperation in blockading Gaza's southern border has been crucial to Israel's starvation policies).

The US is accountable for supporting Israel despite its genocidal policies, but Israel was perfectly capable of genocide long before the US government started aiding it (and, indeed, was successfully carrying out this genocide for decades before the US government started giving it significant aid).

Nucleic Acids posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1759968055835173364

It should be noted that there is only one Arab nation (Algeria) on the Security Council right now.

Seems an awful lot like this current hot genocide wouldn't be continuing without US support.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Angry Avocado posted:

I did not expect such a lengthy response. This list is fantastic, thank you very much :)

No problem. I've got a couple of books by Derek Penslar on my reading list for March ('Zionism: an emotional state' and his Herzl biography). By all accounts he's the pre-eminent expert on Zionism (at least from Jewish/Israeli perspectives). I haven't yet read his work but I imagine his Zionism book will probably tap into some of the themes I've talked about and probably well worth your time.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

hooman posted:

Seems an awful lot like this current hot genocide wouldn't be continuing without US support.

It’s a non binding resolution. Israel would care as much about it as Russia has cared about the one passed calling on them to stop their invasion. Which is to ignore it and keep continuing on with their genocide

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kalit posted:

It’s a non binding resolution. Israel would care as much about it as Russia has cared about the one passed calling on them to stop their invasion. Which is to ignore it and keep continuing on with their genocide

So you're saying the US knew it meant nothing but still voted against it? That's worse.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

So you're saying the US knew it meant nothing but still voted against it? That's worse.

Huh? The US voted against it because they don't want Israel to fully stop.

I was just pointing out that the UN resolution outcome wouldn't stop Israel's genocide either way, since hooman seemed to be insinuating otherwise by including it in their post.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Right, so they're saying the US won't even put in the meaningless gesture that they care about the people in Gaza.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

Right, so they're saying the US won't even put in the meaningless gesture that they care about the people in Gaza.

Well, we promised to put in the hard work to reach a Final Solution to the problem.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Alchenar posted:

Context guys, the 'arab' accusation was that he was lying about being a natural born citizen and that his agenda was secretly to destroy America as part of a long term Muslim sleeper agent plot.

When McCain said 'he's a good guy' he's clearly refuting the wider conspiracy the woman was talking about.

I get that. But I said that “Arab backed” reminded me of that woman and they said that she said Muslim so I posted what she actually said.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Haaretz has confirmed another 10/7 friendly fire incident

https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1760726151910015187

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wasn't Nova itself a FF incident?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Wasn't Nova itself a FF incident?
No. We have extensive video evidence of Hamas gunning down fleeing festival-goers and Hamas has claimed responsibility.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

More like IDFmas amirite

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

theCalamity posted:

I get that. But I said that “Arab backed” reminded me of that woman and they said that she said Muslim so I posted what she actually said.

Yeah looks like I got that wrong, sorry.

Not like my memory's been getting worse since Covid or anything. :smith:

FieryBalrog
Apr 7, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Anyone who still spouts off about the West, and its human rights®, and its democracy values is who we are™, ought to be forced to read this entire thread, Clockwork Orange style. And then shipped off to Gaza, or better yet, Guantanamo.

Empire of lies, indeed, run by irredeemably wicked sociopaths.

Sarmat, Poseidon, Kinzhal - do your duty.

FieryBalrog
Apr 7, 2010
Grimey Drawer
There's this English idiom that fits the sad little noises coming from The Biden via the press. I believe it's called "crocodile tears". See for the crocodile, sophisticate that he is, It's not just that the tears he sheds as he mangles his prey are fake, but also that he takes particular pleasure in putting on the act no matter how absurd or unconvincing.

The Westerner cries out in pain as he strikes you.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

FieryBalrog posted:

Anyone who still spouts off about the West, and its human rights®, and its democracy values is who we are™, ought to be forced to read this entire thread, Clockwork Orange style. And then shipped off to Gaza, or better yet, Guantanamo.

You know OP is smart because they're edgily using a rhetorical call for the massacre of millions of innocents to show how superior they are to the Westerners. Definitely a serious, well reasoned and justice minded poster we're dealing with here.

You're tilting at windmills with this, no one from the West active in this thread is going to be arguing we're living up to our ideals. That's why everyone ITT is fed up with the constant blockade at the UNSC and of Biden's unceasing support.

Anyway, some more toothless words from the administration:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/blinken-says-israels-new-settlements-west-bank-inconsistent-with-international-2024-02-23/

I'll give a poo poo when they sanction everyone involved in settlements, impose penalties or pursue actions against US citizens involved in settlements. Until then it's more bullshit.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's one of the reasons the US has been so successful in dominating the globe. The propaganda machine is so sophisticated it makes a huge number of people fully believe they're some of the most moral and upstanding people in the world while they support the extermination and subjugation of oppressed peoples around the world.

You can see it in the difference between western and Israeli media. The Hebrew language stuff targeted at Israelis doesn't have to pretend that they think Palestinians are human, it's just all out there in the open, the slaughter must continue and it's good. English language media targeted at US liberals like the New York Times and CNN is much more practiced at coming to the same conclusion while making the reader think that they're supporting a nuanced position. The slaughter is a tragedy, but regrettably it must continue.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

FieryBalrog posted:

Not sure if you're aware of this, but this saying originates in hateful bigotry - the original saying being "the Jew cries out in pain as he strikes you" - and remains a very common Neo-Nazi dog whistle.

Obviously this weirdo Nazi talk should be kept far from all anti-Zionism.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 23, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kalit posted:

I know that it is non binding, but a resolution like that would create the space for embargos etc with justification just like we saw with Russia.

Israel, unlike Russia, doesn't have the industrial, resource or manpower base to continue their actions if similar embargoes were put in place, so US support is materially needed for the genocide to continue.

hooman fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 23, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

hooman posted:

I might have my wires crossed but didn't the US veto that one to replace it with their (flimsier) resolution?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

FieryBalrog posted:

God the absolute loving fullbore irony of the origin of this quote being thrown as part of a moral broadside attempt

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Israel officials say they’re badly in need of additional U.S. military aid

https://jewishinsider.com/2024/02/israel-u-s-military-aid-gaza-hamas-war-lebanon-hezbollah/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yadda yadda anonymous sources from a famously disingenuous govt but the framing is actually interesting

1) "sure we can afford it but we might have to make cuts in other areas"
2) "we've been using so much of our stockpile to do a genocide that what if we need to fight a real conflict with Hezbollah and don't have enough to do both that and genocide :ohdear: "
3) might genuinely have iron dome supply issues

vvv JNS is an absolute psycho outlet and the article is inexplicably light on facts, but under the circumstances there's probably value in hearing what absolute psychos are thinking. They seem genuinely worried about the possibility of future arms sanctions. also something that isn't in the headline that is funny*

quote:

Nevertheless, it has become painfully clear that Israel’s dependence on American ammunition supplies, which saw more than 200 cargo planes touch down Israel following Hamas’s Oct. 7 invasion, has become a danger to national security and independence.

This dependence means that any Israeli Cabinet must consider the principle of “legitimacy” in its warfare planning—a principle that could become paralyzing if leverage over Israel becomes too great.

Should that principle trickle down into operational decision-making, the result can only harm Israel’s war efforts.

IDF combat officers should be thinkingly purely about how to accomplish missions, while of course adhering to the IDF’s own internal ethical code and upholding its own internal commitment to adhering to the laws of armed conflict. But if concerns over “legitimacy” in the eyes of a foreign government, no matter how close an ally, creep in, due to ammunition reliance, that is a serious problem.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 24, 2024

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

'We in Israel Are Far More Dependent on the U.S. Than We Ever Knew'
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...df-bef6eeb50000

Israel begins shift to domestic ammunition production
https://www.jns.org/israel-begins-shift-to-domestic-ammunition-production/

quote:

In the wake of the ongoing war against Hamas and its exposure of Israel’s near total dependence on the United States to replenish its stocks of ammunition, Israel has begun shifting toward greater domestic ammunition production.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 24, 2024

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Admittedly burger brained, but could Israel be trying to hurt Biden knowing its an election year and the alternative is Trump?

Much like that angry fellow upthread I've basically fallen to "I hope we loving burn" when it comes to our complicity and outright assistance in the eradication of Gaza, but surely Israel would prefer we were more gleeful about slaughtering Palestinians no? Anybody not on board is gonna feel real... sour about these statements contrasted with Biden's actions.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

BRJurgis posted:

Admittedly burger brained, but could Israel be trying to hurt Biden knowing its an election year and the alternative is Trump?

It's not a major factor but Netanyahu has directly intervened in US politics in Trump's favor before and has no qualms about doing so again.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

FieryBalrog posted:

Besides what everyone said about this, weird to call out to Russian weapons to 'do your duty'.

Mia Wasikowska posted:

'We in Israel Are Far More Dependent on the U.S. Than We Ever Knew'
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...df-bef6eeb50000

Israel begins shift to domestic ammunition production
https://www.jns.org/israel-begins-shift-to-domestic-ammunition-production/

Well hopefully they can stop being dependent by receiving nothing at all. And make nothing at all as well.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I might have my wires crossed but didn't the US veto that one to replace it with their (flimsier) resolution?

That resolution is still just a draft, and the US has said that they're in no rush for the security council vote on it. This is also the third time they've vetoed a ceasefire resolution:

It looks like the US is just generally pretty cool with and supportive of the genocide that Israel is carrying out, based on all of the material support they're providing for the genocide and their continued stonewalling of any efforts to stop the genocide.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

B B posted:

That resolution is still just a draft, and the US has said that they're in no rush for the security council vote on it. This is also the third time they've vetoed a ceasefire resolution:

It looks like the US is just generally pretty cool with and supportive of the genocide that Israel is carrying out, based on all of the material support they're providing for the genocide and their continued stonewalling of any efforts to stop the genocide.

Oh then I'm wrong, couldn't remember offhand if it was voted for. Yeah, getting *something* on the table would make it easier for member states to take some sort of action.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

hooman posted:

I know that it is non binding, but a resolution like that would create the space for embargos etc with justification just like we saw with Russia.

Israel, unlike Russia, doesn't have the industrial, resource or manpower base to continue their actions if similar embargoes were put in place, so US support is materially needed for the genocide to continue.

I’m confused. Who had enacted embargoes on Russia solely based on that UN resolution passing? I haven’t heard of any, but TBH, I haven’t been paying too much attention.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kalit posted:

I’m confused. Who had enacted embargoes on Russia solely based on that UN resolution passing? I haven’t heard of any, but TBH, I haven’t been paying too much attention.

why are you like this

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

punishedkissinger posted:

why are you like this

Why am I like what?

I just want people to make factual statements, since hyperbole loses so much nuance. Sorry if that’s a tall order :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Kalit posted:

Why am I like what?

I just want people to make factual statements, since hyperbole loses so much nuance. Sorry if that’s a tall order :shrug:

How about you start making factual statements or contributing something that approaches a clear opinion instead of standing on the sidelines ‘just asking questions’ in what someone cynical would read as a continuous stream of attempts to divert from the points people are making.

How about you start by clarifying what you think the poster is saying and then offering an opinion on it instead of pretending you’ve had a substantial head injury?