Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

mycot posted:

I don't even really think it was the monetization that drove people away (or at least I've never seen anyone posting about needing Joker keys to open Joker boxes), the Suicide Squad branding is just so obnoxious at this point and so is the whole loot treadmill design.

Suicide Squad being obnoxious probably didn't help but the game just looked bad in general. Irrespective of IP, an open world live service game with three different mission types all focused on shooting big purple weak spots isn't going to have much appeal at launch let alone staying power. Real waste of Rocksteady's time and talent to satisfy the whims of moronic executives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Some of the gameplay looked mildly entertaining, but then everything about the presentation was incredibly cluttered and flashy like it was designed to trigger epileptic attacks

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So since evey game is coming out right at the same time, I have a question. You can get 1. You are primarily playing alone.

Pacific Drive
Last Epoch
Sons of the Forest
Helldivers 2

Also Dragons Dogma 2 comes out in a month.

I'd prefer to not spend 200 usd in February alone

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

strategery posted:

So since evey game is coming out right at the same time, I have a question. You can get 1. You are primarily playing alone.

Pacific Drive
Last Epoch
Sons of the Forest
Helldivers 2

If by "playing alone" means you prefer not to interact with anyone else while you game, then Last Epoch.

If by "playing alone" means you don't have specific friends who will be playing with you, but don't mind grouping up in general, Helldivers 2. (The quickplay is currently not working, but you can still see open squads on the mission select screen and can freely join)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

mystes posted:

with numbers of that I'm not sure they had to have had high expectations for it to have failed to meet expectations

I'm betting the expectations were based on predictions from when it started development - 2020, mid pandemic :v:

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝
I assumed the expectation every AAA publisher has for their live service game is for it to be another Destiny

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Serephina posted:

For HK, if it's a boss fight that's blocked you, it's a skill issue (there is like, one fight that's too hard, but it's near the start of the game and there's a NPC on your walk of shame who'll chat you up and tell you to come back later); but this isn't a problem as the game is stuffed with optional bosses. If it's a platforming issue, it's probably a metroidvania unlock thingie that's blocking you. If it's 'the common mooks are too hard / I keep dying to attrition", then it's back to a skill issue, but that's fine as, y'know, nonlinear game and all that.

I hold HK up to the gold standard of the genre, and it's a shame that you've bounced off of it, might I humbly ask that you come back after a while? You'll have forgotten where everything is, but the boss fights will probably be easier with a clean start.

It's just a few different boss fights, and especially some that have a bit of a complex path from the nearest bench/save. The platforming is great.

I think what would make it a lot better for me is if I had any way of knowing how close to winning any of the big fights I am. If I knew I was only a few hits off killing something I'd keep trying. If I was barely touching them then I'd just call it quits and either come back later if I find more health or just skip it and maybe play something else.

As an example, I unlocked the boss in the red carnival tent at the starting area, and that thing pushed my poo poo in repeatedly. I'd beat him, and then "no, sorry, another phase to go!" so I came back after getting more health and better charms. Eventually killed it, but I wish I had some reference to how well I was doing during the fight. I might be at the stage now where I need a guide to find the rest of the charms, in case there's some that really make a difference.

Having said all that, I finally got the ability to dash through enemies and damage them and I think this has increased my boss survivability by quite a bit. Pity it, presumably, does very little damage.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

raccoon.bmp posted:

I assumed the expectation every AAA publisher has for their live service game is for it to be another Destiny

They'll get Anthem and they'll like it

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

raccoon.bmp posted:

Considering the percentage chance of a LS game being dead after 1/3/6/12 months, it is a miracle they expect anything. If they are intent on live service, I think the best approach from a business perspective is to launch it as EA, so they can gauge interest and systems and cancel it before they invest too much in it. Then again, Rocksteady spent 9 years making that trashfire, so clearly someone isnt paying attention.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Suicide Squad should have leaned more into its obnoxiousness and made the microtransactions totally egregious.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

20 Gems™ and YOU get to piss on the Flash's face! Btw Gems™ are sold exclusively in packs of 18

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dying Light 2 is having a free weekend to coincide with another big update, this time adding guns, more variety to enemies, and some nice visual polish. If you enjoyed the first game then i can now formally recommend the second with a Goon Seal of Approval. The plot is stupid, the protagonist is stupid, but he's kind of endearingly idiotic. They have successfully unfucked the parkour and made it smooth and fun again- at release it was truly horrible.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Phlegmish posted:

20 Gems™ and YOU get to piss on the Flash's face! Btw Gems™ are sold exclusively in packs of 18

How To Get Money Out Of Eobard Thawne

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think even if the game was good it would have failed bc this is WB’s, like, third time trying to force Suicide Squad on a general populace that doesn’t give a poo poo about Suicide Squad

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gromit posted:

Having said all that, I finally got the ability to dash through enemies and damage them and I think this has increased my boss survivability by quite a bit. Pity it, presumably, does very little damage.

The wiki says 1 x nail damage, but I honestly don't know if that scales with your nail improvements.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Re Helldivers Isn't this why they used to let users run servers?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

I think even if the game was good it would have failed bc this is WB’s, like, third time trying to force Suicide Squad on a general populace that doesn’t give a poo poo about Suicide Squad

There's still the Suicide Squad anime coming up!!!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mescal posted:

Re Helldivers Isn't this why they used to let users run servers?

Can't run a live service if you let the players set the rules.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Velocity Raptor posted:

If by "playing alone" means you don't have specific friends who will be playing with you, but don't mind grouping up in general, Helldivers 2. (The quickplay is currently not working, but you can still see open squads on the mission select screen and can freely join)

Quickly play was working for me last night FWIW, and there's no queue to get in the game anymore either. Whether that holds up this weekend is the real question

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

How To Get Money Out Of Eobard Thawne

I shouldn't have phrased it as if it doesn't already happen in the game. That's right, at one point the obscure Australian guy whips out his dick and starts pissing on the Flash's corpse. The others comment on how big his dick is, Harley Quinn salutes. The entire scene is incredibly gross and cringe, as the kids would say

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Phlegmish posted:

I shouldn't have phrased it as if it doesn't already happen in the game. That's right, at one point the obscure Australian guy whips out his dick and starts pissing on the Flash's corpse. The others comment on how big his dick is, Harley Quinn salutes. The entire scene is incredibly gross and cringe, as the kids would say

Excusez-moi? Quoi‽

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

strategery posted:

Pacific Drive
Last Epoch
Sons of the Forest
Helldivers 2

Either Last Epoch or Pacific Drive. I think both are very good, and very different kinds of game, so whichever type of game you're more attracted to. If you'd rather play an ARPG, Last Epoch. If you'd rather have a first person extraction/survival game, Pacific Drive.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Excusez-moi? Quoi‽

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58NfKDv3VmQ

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

strategery posted:

Pacific Drive
Last Epoch
Sons of the Forest
Helldivers 2

get Helldivers 2, they patched the rough poo poo (matchmaking and login issues) and its good playable now. Sons is probably great too now out of EA but I'd not play it solo. PD is easy a get-on-sale-later game, definitively nothing you'd need to play now. Needs some more patches as well.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Gromit posted:

It's just a few different boss fights, and especially some that have a bit of a complex path from the nearest bench/save. The platforming is great.

I think what would make it a lot better for me is if I had any way of knowing how close to winning any of the big fights I am. If I knew I was only a few hits off killing something I'd keep trying. If I was barely touching them then I'd just call it quits and either come back later if I find more health or just skip it and maybe play something else.

As an example, I unlocked the boss in the red carnival tent at the starting area, and that thing pushed my poo poo in repeatedly. I'd beat him, and then "no, sorry, another phase to go!" so I came back after getting more health and better charms. Eventually killed it, but I wish I had some reference to how well I was doing during the fight. I might be at the stage now where I need a guide to find the rest of the charms, in case there's some that really make a difference.

Not sure if you've mentioned it, but you have upgraded your nail, right? Also make sure try different combos of charms you have unlocked and see how they work.

I find treating boss fights like a puzzle game works best for me. Each attack has a tell/beginning, and many times there's attack opportunities right after the attack is done. It becomes recognizing the attack, using the appropriate dodge/jump/ability against it, and then getting in hits (don't be greedy) when you can. Be patient, as there's no timers iirc. This also applies to all soulslikes I've played (though parry/riposte are viable options in some).

Hope something in there helps bro.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

some new-to-bundle stuff in this one: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/prestige-collection-build-your-own-bundle

2 for $15, 3 for $22, 5 for $35, 7 for $48

River City Girls 2
Blacktail
Inkulinati
Deadlink
The Knight Witch
Affogato
Abriss
Undying
Deathloop
Terraformers
TESO Collection: High Isle
The Mortuary Assistant
Let's Build a Zoo
Sands of Aura
Beneath Oresa
Mechwarrior 5
The Bridge Curse
Let's School
Descenders

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm trying to enjoy Pacific Drive but there being zero buildings with interiors besides dinky little science-trailers makes it feel like I'm rummaging around in the trash behind houses for stuff on every level. Does that ever change and there are real inside environments or are you basically a garbage possum the whole time?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

helldivers 2 is very good, but its especially wild to see a live service game with both permanent always available battle passes and the ability to find 10-50 of the premium currency in a mission. you can actually just grind out this poo poo without spending money at your own pace if you wanted to.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Kragger99 posted:

Not sure if you've mentioned it, but you have upgraded your nail, right? Also make sure try different combos of charms you have unlocked and see how they work.

That's the problem I have with these sorts of games. Is upgrading my nail twice enough for this boss, or do I need more? There's no way to tell - maybe I suck (likely) but maybe I'm here too soon. With no feedback on how my damage is scaling against boss health, I have no way of knowing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Gromit posted:

lol, that carnival is a post-game DLC. 'gratz on the first kill, hope the charm it unlocked serves you well. There's a much harder mk2 version of the fight for bragging rights alone, just ignore it. The carnival will also try to sell you some charms for an unbelievable amount of money; it's egregious on purpose - they're a money pit for when players have run out of things to buy lategame and are swimming in cash.

Forewarning, there's some 'dream' elements and mechanics that where DLC too. The standalone dream bosses are fine, but the mk2 versions of beaten bosses are (edit: *slightly) less so and as above should be walked away from if you've not enjoying yourself. You've probably seen some 'dream' elements already.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 24, 2024

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Gromit posted:

That's the problem I have with these sorts of games. Is upgrading my nail twice enough for this boss, or do I need more? There's no way to tell - maybe I suck (likely) but maybe I'm here too soon. With no feedback on how my damage is scaling against boss health, I have no way of knowing.

Ah, fair enough.

It's been so long since I played that I can't remember how many times you can upgrade it. If you are enjoying the game (other than the boss fights), it might be worth watching a video on how to beat a boss you're stuck on - just to get over that hump (or to find out it's too early for it). Also, beating the boss might provide a new movement option, which will help with the others.

One thing I say is that I hate games where I have to look something up because I'm stuck/the game does a poor (or non-existent) job of explaining things. But I usually find what I was looking for, and it got me back to playing and enjoying the game again quickly.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

The 7th Guest posted:

some new-to-bundle stuff in this one: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/prestige-collection-build-your-own-bundle

2 for $15, 3 for $22, 5 for $35, 7 for $48

River City Girls 2
Blacktail
Inkulinati
Deadlink
The Knight Witch
Affogato
Abriss
Undying
Deathloop
Terraformers
TESO Collection: High Isle
The Mortuary Assistant
Let's Build a Zoo
Sands of Aura
Beneath Oresa
Mechwarrior 5
The Bridge Curse
Let's School
Descenders

Pretty neat bundle! I'd certainly recommend Deadlink to any fans of Doom Eternal, Roboquest and Gunfire Reborn. Anyone got any recommendations?

A bit curious about River City Girls 2: I played the first one and was a bit meh about it, as it felt like it was more about goofy spectacle while the combat mechanics were rather shallow, kind of similar to something like the Scott Pilgrim beat-em-up. Has the second one improved significantly?

Currently eyeballing The Knight Witch, Affogato, and Blacktail, maybe.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any Last Epoch players here? How is it for short gaming sessions?

I’m pretty busy right now, so it’d be nice to have something I can play for 20 minutes/an hour and hop out immediately when I have to go.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FutureCop posted:

Pretty neat bundle! I'd certainly recommend Deadlink to any fans of Doom Eternal, Roboquest and Gunfire Reborn. Anyone got any recommendations?

A bit curious about River City Girls 2: I played the first one and was a bit meh about it, as it felt like it was more about goofy spectacle while the combat mechanics were rather shallow, kind of similar to something like the Scott Pilgrim beat-em-up. Has the second one improved significantly?

Currently eyeballing The Knight Witch, Affogato, and Blacktail, maybe.

Let's Build A Zoo is fun but kinda frantic, doesn't have the relaxing feel I like in a management game.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

the first suicide squad doing so well broke WB's brains completely. They just keep going back to the well even though most (all??) of the followups have flopped. See also: two very good movies involving multiverses being successful obviously means that audiences love multiverses! The "very good" part is irrelevant.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

haldolium posted:

you can disable it. I think powertoys has an option, or registry editing probably too
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/

Otherwise my go to solution is not pressing the windows key while playing something

I had no idea MS still made these. Thanks so much for linking this!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any Last Epoch players here? How is it for short gaming sessions?

I’m pretty busy right now, so it’d be nice to have something I can play for 20 minutes/an hour and hop out immediately when I have to go.

I mean if you've ever played Diablo/Path of Exile it's just that but different. I'd say it fits the bill if you wanted to play it that way.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haldolium posted:

you can disable it. I think powertoys has an option, or registry editing probably too
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/

Otherwise my go to solution is not pressing the windows key while playing something
Ever since I can remember I've been binding the Caps Lock key to be a Control key instead since I never use Caps Lock on purpose and as a result I almost never push the Win key by accident because my finger is just never down there. There's a program called Ctrl2Cap I always use but I'm pretty sure PowerToys does that now too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FutureCop posted:

Unfortunately it was really more of the same which is a shame because I really wanted to like it. That soundtrack is nothing but bangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Serephina posted:

lol, that carnival is a post-game DLC. 'gratz on the first kill, hope the charm it unlocked serves you well. There's a much harder mk2 version of the fight for bragging rights alone, just ignore it. The carnival will also try to sell you some charms for an unbelievable amount of money; it's egregious on purpose - they're a money pit for when players have run out of things to buy lategame and are swimming in cash.

Urgh, okay then that's hate number 2 - no way of telling if a fight is required, optional, hard DLC or what.

Anyway, it seems like I've got a lot of complaints but I've now got over 30 hours in it so I'm obviously enjoying it for the most part. Looking at a list of where all the charms are has at least shown me some map areas I've not found (I've found all major locations though), so there's still stuff to do that's within my grasp. I even discovered I could ignore that carnival fight and do some stuff with their offsider that made that boss disappear.

I got stuck in an area at some point and had to look up how to escape, and it required me to use a mechanic I'm sure was never shown to me - attacking down on things to bounce on them (not just enemies, but also spikes). Did I just miss when this was shown to the player?