Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

https://a.co/d/2Zb6viD

And also Locktite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

HOLY poo poo this is amazing

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Just don’t mix up the red anti-seize and red Locktite when getting ready for a date.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The only thing stopping me from buying that is that I'm still using up the tubes of liquid locktite I bought in 2007

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I have never finished a tube a loctite. Anti-seize I buy semi-regularly, though the bottles always managed to get covered in grease and anti-seize, so they look decades old the minute I open them.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Is there a reason to use runny loctite blue instead of the gel type? Gel actually stays in place and seems a lot more convenient.

My C5 is teaching me that 20 year old connectors can't be trusted, but also some of the wire harnesses are discontinued so I may have to get creative to get a reliable connection to my wheel speed sensors. This doesn't really bode well for newer, more computerized cars once those are 20 years old.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Time to go to the local junkyard and/or hit the C5 forums

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Anti-seize I buy semi-regularly, though the bottles always managed to get covered in grease and anti-seize, so they look decades old the minute I open them.

There's no clean way to use the stuff, you just have to accept that you and all of your surroundings are going to look like you gave the tin man a handjob for a while.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

heffray posted:

My C5 is teaching me that 20 year old connectors can't be trusted, but also some of the wire harnesses are discontinued so I may have to get creative to get a reliable connection to my wheel speed sensors. This doesn't really bode well for newer, more computerized cars once those are 20 years old.

Yeah, the amount of stuff that's simply NLA for my TJ is kinda shocking. At least it (and your C5) is a vehicle with a strong enough enthusiast following so third party and open-sourced solutions keep coming. I don't have high hopes for the majority of cars out there getting that kind of support.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Cries in 1993 Mazda B2600i

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Advent Horizon posted:

Cries in 1993 Mazda B2600i

That's just a Ford Ranger, isn't it?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I don't think mazda trucks outside of the US or North America ever went ford.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Safety Dance posted:

I believe that one was its own truck.

Not that it mattered much when they platform-shared anyway because parts weren’t necessarily interchangeable. We found this out in like tyool 2000 when my wife’s Probe needed a new o2 sensor; the ford part was $200. I bought the equivalent MX6 part for like $50 and it was 4-wire instead of 3-wire.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Turbo Fondant posted:

I was at an old employer's shop shooting the poo poo with the old boss a couple months back and I confirmed that my career's most desperate hail Mary hack fix has now done over 900000 km and is still working fine.

It has thus far outlasted the original unmolested component by 300000km.

Aw man you can't mention that without telling the whole story.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I believe that one was its own truck.

Not that it mattered much when they platform-shared anyway because parts weren’t necessarily interchangeable. We found this out in like tyool 2000 when my wife’s Probe needed a new o2 sensor; the ford part was $200. I bought the equivalent MX6 part for like $50 and it was 4-wire instead of 3-wire.

That's an impressive level of fuckery even for Ford engineers, who I swear make midyear, trim level, and assembly plant based parts specificity a goal rather than something to avoid. It's like they specifically set out to gently caress mechanics.

Why share a platform if you aren't gonna actually use the same goddamn parts?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

heffray posted:

Is there a reason to use runny loctite blue instead of the gel type? Gel actually stays in place and seems a lot more convenient.

If you have enough wire, can't you just buy some wire connectors from napa, or some electronics store, cut the old ones off and wire up the new ones?

E: I don't know how good these particular ones are, but this is definitely available to us commoners.
https://www.amazon.ca/TING-Waterpro...f9e6ba75b58d22d

Then you just get wire of the appropriate gauge and colour bing bang boom. Start selling this poo poo to your fellow old people.

E2: This one is more expensive but it looks to be GM connectors:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco-0004-og4

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 23, 2024

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wesleywillis posted:

If you have enough wire, can't you just buy some wire connectors from napa, or some electronics store, cut the old ones off and wire up the new ones?

E: I don't know how good these particular ones are, but this is definitely available to us commoners.
https://www.amazon.ca/TING-Waterpro...f9e6ba75b58d22d

Then you just get wire of the appropriate gauge and colour bing bang boom. Start selling this poo poo to your fellow old people.

E2: This one is more expensive but it looks to be GM connectors:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco-0004-og4

CommieGIR has been designing & 3d printing connectors for their ancient Audis lately; until factory harnesses start going with twisted pairs, I feel like we're coming up on a golden age of DIY for this stuff.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Turbo Fondant posted:

There's no clean way to use the stuff, you just have to accept that you and all of your surroundings are going to look like you gave the tin man a handjob for a while.

Am I the only one that basically stopped using the tin-man-handjob anti seize? I mostly use the copper stuff, which keeps a better consistency and doesn't seem to have the same tendency to get all over everything. I've also got a bottle of nickel-based anti seize, but at this point it's pretty ancient because I seldom use it.

I do need to remember to get those loctite sticks though, at least a blue.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

It's definitely not the end of the world: the pin design on the sensors doesn't hold up, and the female side opens up and fails to make consistent contact. The extension harness going out to the wheel sensor goes out first, and it's a $50 part (I've replaced both of these, which mostly fixed it): but the main engine bay harness has the same pin type, and is less feasible to replace. The first thing I'm going to try is unpinning the existing connector and bending it a bit to provide better spring contact, as a $0 fix that just takes a bit of effort. If that doesn't work, I'd like to figure out what connector it is and buy a new one, so it doesn't break compatibility for future changes. If none of that is an option, it's just a 2 pin connection and I can crimp on a random weatherproof connector and change to that. I'd prefer to keep it stock: relative resistance factors into this system's behavior, and adding an extra crimp and a random plug might change that enough to matter.

If this sensor drops out at any point during a drive, it disables ABS, TC, and stability control until the power is cycled: those systems were good by 2002 standards and are somewhat nice to have. Also the scan tool can't trigger a full ABS bleed for my upcoming swap to Castrol SRF fluid with active fault codes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

heffray posted:

: relative resistance factors into this system's behavior, and adding an extra crimp and a random plug might change that enough to matter.

Got ya.
This is something I've actually wondered recently. What types of systems might rely on resistance (among other things) to function properly where adding an extra length of wire for *some reason that might be somewhat valid at the time* might cause a malfunction due to too much resistance in the circuit.

Or possibly not enough resistance.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

*twitch*

1993 was when they started selling a rebadged Ranger (which was actually an older and far less refined chassis). I have been known to enter 1992 into parts searches to be sure I find actual Mazda parts, but I need to be careful because 1989-91 they used a different DOHC 2.6 made by Mitsubishi that Mazda then basically copied for the B series and MPV.

This is the truck in question:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
It being a GM, about 90% of all the connectors are going to be some Delphi variation, and probably 100% of the low content ones will be Metripack. A terminal and seal kit and a decent set of crimpers will go a long way.

I wouldn't worry about resistance much. I've seen so many repairs with wiring for sensors spliced, crimped, replaced, extended, whatever and I've never seen the repair cause a problem. The tolerances for the sensors are going to be greater than any competent repair.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wesleywillis posted:

Got ya.
This is something I've actually wondered recently. What types of systems might rely on resistance (among other things) to function properly where adding an extra length of wire for *some reason that might be somewhat valid at the time* might cause a malfunction due to too much resistance in the circuit.

Or possibly not enough resistance.

Mayyyybe a thermocouple, where two wires of dissimilar metals joined at a hot end will create a voltage between them at the cold end. I forget if length is a concern. Also with network cable (which wiring harnesses more and more are turning out to be) twisted pairs help reduce crosstalk, so maybe a couple of straight strands cut-in between might foul some things up.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
CAN networks are really resilient. If you stay inside the physical layer design parameters, you will be OK. Even outside those parameters too. I've seen a bunch of bad stuff there too. Too many nodes, too long nodes, too long backbones, too many/few terminating resistors, and stuff still works. I've even seen whole networks without twisted pair. The downside is that once you push it too far, everything falls apart. But a few repair splices will not affect anything.

Salami Surgeon fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 23, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Mashallah the auto transmission on my dad’s Cabrio is fixed up and now it drives butter smooth again. Turns out it was the fluid pan gasket perishing and cracking and losing all of the transmission fluid plus some of the radiator hoses.

With the level and speed of fluid loss I was convinced it was a crack in the housing or something along those lines and was mentally preparing to explain the costs associated with finding a replacement automatic transmission for a mk3 golf/jetta/cabrio (impossible) or doing a manual swap ($1200 in parts kit plus like another grand in labor), so $475 all in and done in a day is a welcome surprise

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Talking about loctite/thread lockers/anti seize,

I just wanted to say that if anyone here ever has the opportunity to get into a Henkel (loctite parent company) technical seminar, it is amazingly informative. The number of products they have, including different types of thread lockers/retaining compound/anti-seize, and tons of other stuff, is just amazing. I'm actually arranging a couple next week for 2 of our industrial clients and I can't wait until we do it. The ones I've done previously have been universally well received and the attendees could have easily went another few hours... which if you've ever dealt with a bunch of tradespeople and technical people at the same time, they usually can't leave fast enough.

With the mention of anti-seize here, I will say that the vast majority of applications would probably be better served with a medium strength thread locker as opposed to a lubricant (which is what anti-seize is).

heffray posted:

I don't have my manual in front of me, but if it is really runny it might be either aged out (it does have a shelf life) or it might be a "wicking" kind... not really wicking in the classical sense like capillary action, but some loctite will actually climb a fastener and go between the threads of a bolt/nut. That stuff is pretty thin and runny compared to the other stuff.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't think mazda trucks outside of the US or North America ever went ford.

It was the other way around here, the Ford Ranger we got in Europe (at least for the first two gens) was a rebadged B series and BT-50, respectively.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

The only thing stopping me from buying that is that I'm still using up the tubes of liquid locktite I bought in 2007

I didn’t let that stop me, though in my case it was the anti-seize. I still have a bottle of the brush-on anti-seize mostly full. This is a drat site less messy.

heffray posted:

It does not, no.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

heffray posted:

I can help you 3D model replacements and print them in ABS or Nylon, that's what I've been doing with my old Audi/Bosch connectors that are NLA.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Welp. I just got fired.
Well not technically fired, I'm on administrative leave until Wednesday.
But I'm pretty sure on Wednesday I'll be fired.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Welp. I just got fired.

Well that sucks.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PitViper posted:

Am I the only one that basically stopped using the tin-man-handjob anti seize? I mostly use the copper stuff, which keeps a better consistency and doesn't seem to have the same tendency to get all over everything. I've also got a bottle of nickel-based anti seize, but at this point it's pretty ancient because I seldom use it.

I do need to remember to get those loctite sticks though, at least a blue.

I’ve used both with no noticeable difference I’m effect. Except that the copper stuff makes the brush bristles stay at a 90 degree angle and that doesn’t happen with the tin man jizz.

Both keep my nuts as loose as I want em.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Welp. I just got fired.

I'm so sorry dude :(

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

slidebite posted:

Talking about loctite/thread lockers/anti seize,

I just wanted to say that if anyone here ever has the opportunity to get into a Henkel (loctite parent company) technical seminar, it is amazingly informative. The number of products they have, including different types of thread lockers/retaining compound/anti-seize, and tons of other stuff, is just amazing

I'm going to take a wild guess that retaining compound is some sort of glue like poo poo that keeps a bolt from rattling off while still leaving it able to be turned with only a minimal effort? As opposed to thread locker that might require a torch?

Right? Wrong?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Welp. I just got fired.

drat that sucks man :(

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

wesleywillis posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess that retaining compound is some sort of glue like poo poo that keeps a bolt from rattling off while still leaving it able to be turned with only a minimal effort? As opposed to thread locker that might require a torch?

Right? Wrong?

To my knowledge it's the opposite. Retaining compound is for poo poo that is not supposed to come apart. Period. I've got some green stuff from Loctite - don't recall the number - and it kind of scares me. I haven't used it yet and don't know of anything specific that would require it, but I got some should the need arise.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

To my knowledge it's the opposite. Retaining compound is for poo poo that is not supposed to come apart. Period. I've got some green stuff from Loctite - don't recall the number - and it kind of scares me. I haven't used it yet and don't know of anything specific that would require it, but I got some should the need arise.

Looked it up, it appears to be glue for poo poo thats not threaded.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Looked it up, it appears to be glue for poo poo thats not threaded.

Yeah, it's all variations on superglue.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

In my experience, it's specifically for the hardest to reach valve cover bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Welp. I just got fired.

poo poo. Sorry to hear.