Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

What do you all do to avoid distractions while reading?

Use Freedom to block all the sites I like to refresh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A Sneaker Broker posted:

ADHD medication.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Reading is the distraction. I've got ADHD that I take meds for now, but even unmedicated in my teens and 20s, I could always spend hours in a good book.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Danhenge posted:

Reading is the distraction. I've got ADHD that I take meds for now, but even unmedicated in my teens and 20s, I could always spend hours in a good book.

Yeah, it's this. Reading is my ground state that it takes effort to move away from, and when it's a particularly engrossing book it takes serious effort to get my attention.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I mostly read ebooks so I ended up turning off almost all of the notifications on my phone/apps so they don't pop up on the screen while I'm reading, but that likely has merits for staying focused on other book media too.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I read books that I enjoy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I set up my library for reading so that it's screen-free and I have a single comfortable chair there.

It's honestly still a work in progress. I used to have reading as my default state but media has stolen a lot of my attention that I'm working hard to get back.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Danhenge posted:

Reading is the distraction

Having my books always available on my phone is really problematic.

My joke response was going to be "I pull over"

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I started reading more once I switched over to the sort of lowbrow stuff that gets self-published on Kindle Unlimited.

Now reading is the distraction and I've mostly lost my taste for better-written works. Whoops.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Orconomics: A Satire (Dark Profit #1) by J Zachary Pike - $2.49
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O2NDJ2M/

Shaman by Kim Stanley Robinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C102SPC/

Foundation (#1) by Isaac Asimov - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC1PWA/

A Man of His Word: The Complete Series by Dave Duncan - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0732J6PN5/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

pradmer posted:

Orconomics: A Satire (Dark Profit #1) by J Zachary Pike - $2.49
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O2NDJ2M/

If this is actually some kind of economics-based satire of high fantasy settings, I would be all over this. I'm not even sure what that would be, though.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

StrixNebulosa posted:

ADHD medication.

I am also a speed reader

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

A Sneaker Broker posted:

A sufficiently good book, one that captivates and holds your attention, is all the distraction avoidance you need. Stop reading books that you can be distracted from.

And if you really can't, really truly maybe talk to a doctor, or ask a blunt friend what they think of your relationship with electronics.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Chairman Capone posted:

If this is actually some kind of economics-based satire of high fantasy settings, I would be all over this. I'm not even sure what that would be, though.

It's fantasy-based satire of some trends in modern economics and financialization and the 2008 crash.. but also satire of how the economy of a fantasy world would be hosed up on it's own, but also the two combined. I enjoyed the trilogy, mostly comedy, though somewhat dark at times. The first book was on Kindle Unlimited a while back when I read it, but I bought the third book at full price once it came out.

If you search back in TBB far enough you can find recommendations that are not me (Cicero did twice)

Cicero posted:

Orconomics is also a D&D party but it’s a really good novel regardless, and it’s certainly got a unique take on fantasy.

RDM posted:

In the shadow of lightning, she who became the sun, and I'm gonna throw in Orconomics too as a comedy option

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chain smoking is incredible for getting locked in on a book. Also read during thunderstorms.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Also read during thunderstorms.
Why?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Chain smoking is incredible for getting locked in on a book. Also read during thunderstorms.

Aka the Mark Twain methodology.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The sound of thunderstorms is incredibly soothing to me. I have a skill on my echo so I can say 'Alexa, ask ambient noise for Distant Thunderstorm' and just bliss out on the sound of rain and low thunder.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the sound of rain beating against the window is perfect for reading. Just makes you want to sit in front of a crackling fire (heater) with your cat curled in your lap (which the bastard doesn't) and immerse yourself in a good book.

I also like the sounds of trains passing in the distance but that's because I grew up with it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If no rainstorm or thunderstorm is handy, I recommend this website for excellent ambient sound/music: https://mynoise.net/

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Pervis posted:

It's fantasy-based satire of some trends in modern economics and financialization and the 2008 crash.. but also satire of how the economy of a fantasy world would be hosed up on it's own, but also the two combined. I enjoyed the trilogy, mostly comedy, though somewhat dark at times. The first book was on Kindle Unlimited a while back when I read it, but I bought the third book at full price once it came out.

If you search back in TBB far enough you can find recommendations that are not me (Cicero did twice)

I agree - they’re not high literature but they’re a lot of fun. If you like light fantasy satirizing the real world, this’ll probably hit for you.

mystes
May 31, 2006

HopperUK posted:

The sound of thunderstorms is incredibly soothing to me. I have a skill on my echo so I can say 'Alexa, ask ambient noise for Distant Thunderstorm' and just bliss out on the sound of rain and low thunder.
oh sure thunderstorm sounds from a noise generator. I just don't find actual thunderstorms that soothing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

If no rainstorm or thunderstorm is handy, I recommend this website for excellent ambient sound/music: https://mynoise.net/

Yessss my favourite website that isn't this one.

e: wait, flightradar. Third favourite.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Haystack posted:

I started reading more once I switched over to the sort of lowbrow stuff that gets self-published on Kindle Unlimited.

Now reading is the distraction and I've mostly lost my taste for better-written works. Whoops.

I read the first 6 dungeon crawler carl books in under 2 weeks.

I've been working on Dracula for a month.

Possibly related: I can give you broad strokes of DCC, despite them being thick and shir I often conflate the events of 2 books together.. I'm pretty sure I remember more about the Demeter than I do about any secondary character in DCC

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBJCJE/

Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XG6MG3Y/

minema
May 31, 2011
I have the opposite problem where my impulse control is so poor I can't stop reading when appropriate, I have to restrict reading in the evenings or I'll stay up too late, it's honestly very frustrating.

mystes
May 31, 2006

minema posted:

I have the opposite problem where my impulse control is so poor I can't stop reading when appropriate, I have to restrict reading in the evenings or I'll stay up too late, it's honestly very frustrating.
I have both problems. I'm usually easily distracted but if I get really into it I'll end up staying up all night trying to finish it.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

mystes posted:

I have both problems. I'm usually easily distracted but if I get really into it I'll end up staying up all night trying to finish it.

Me too. I block out the last two hours before bed for reading so I’ll have enough time to really get into it, but sometimes that stretches into three hours. I can’t read all night anymore like I used to though, because I take meds that conk me out and my vision turns blurry one they really kick in

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I carry a book almost everywhere I go -- it's a habit I've had since I was a kid. So when I have a bit of downtime I can just pull it out and read a few pages.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Selachian posted:

I carry a book almost everywhere I go -- it's a habit I've had since I was a kid. So when I have a bit of downtime I can just pull it out and read a few pages.

this is what fully convinced me to read more on the kindle phone app than anything else. I almost literally always have a book now, it's fantastic.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

this is what fully convinced me to read more on the kindle phone app than anything else. I almost literally always have a book now, it's fantastic.

I do a lot of this too. I find that I can easily read fiction or lighter non-fiction on the app or on my kindle itself, but for heavier stuff I need an actual physical book to help me focus in.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

My day job is academic reading which is sometimes very dry and I don't have a choice about reading it and I sometimes have to make conscious decisions to remove distractions. The main ones are to close all my browser tabs, put my phone out of reach, set timers for breaks every half hour (actual screen breaks, not picking up my phone to read something else breaks), and making sure I have music on but it isn't stuff that I'm going to stop reading and vibe to. There's a book I need to get through that I've been putting off for a week now, so I've put together an actual schedule on Tuesday of when I'm going to be reading it, when I'm going to take breaks etc.

I feel like that kind of regimentation is a bit hosed up for something you're doing for leisure though. If I'm getting distracted from a book I'm reading for leisure I take it as a sign that the book isn't hitting right and I think about moving on to something else, especially if I'm a decent chunk into the book and it's still a problem. That's not a binary thing though, more just a judgement call.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

HopperUK posted:

I do a lot of this too. I find that I can easily read fiction or lighter non-fiction on the app or on my kindle itself, but for heavier stuff I need an actual physical book to help me focus in.

Same. I have different books downloaded on my phone than my ipad for this reason. Some are much better for dipping into a bit at a time compared to others where I wanna fully sink into the fictive dream

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Selachian posted:

Same. Pre-ereader I was really into cargo pants/shorts because they had pockets that could reliably fit most MMPBs. Now I have an ereader with hundreds of books on it that fits comfortably in my purse and just carry that everywhere.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Went through the Exordia audiobook.
I liked the story quite enough, but the narrator wasn't really for me. Ironically her delivery felt a little soulless. It fits okay when Anna is doing the narration, but most of the other point of view characters feel way to hotheaded and emotional to deliver them so flatly.

But the story was fun. There were a bunch of references in there, I think.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

cant cook creole bream posted:

Went through the Exordia audiobook.
I liked the story quite enough, but the narrator wasn't really for me. Ironically her delivery felt a little soulless. It fits okay when Anna is doing the narration, but most of the other point of view characters feel way to hotheaded and emotional to deliver them so flatly.

But the story was fun. There were a bunch of references in there, I think.

Grover Hawes

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Dr Futurity by Philip K Dick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LQ1EUK/

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Grover Hawes

I'd love to know if Steve McMichael in that same list was a reference to Sleve McDichael

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HopperUK posted:

I had a huuuuuge bookshelf when I moved probably 15 years ago, I sold them all to Half-Price books and have been 100% digital since. I haven't cracked a paper book in a decade. Though the sleep hygiene strategy of "stay off screens, read a book" is impossible to me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Though the sleep hygiene strategy of "stay off screens, read a book" is impossible to me now.

this is a real problem for me too