Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

they're all going to be 'sac a nontoken creature of the color' which, at the very least, is somewhat telegraphable compared to just always assuming your opponent has force

Not to mention if they're actually instants or sorceries rather than creatures they probably won't be near as main deckable, unless there's some really bonkers effects I suppose

edit: I guess it really depends actually, something like chord of calling with a sac that could be played for free would be pretty great. But I guess green is already gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

AngryBooch posted:

What's up with that Borderless Polluted Delta?

Scanning error or is the land in some plane that has like rasterized terrain?

:thejoke:
It looks like it's on Kamigawa, it's a virus affecting the delta that's why it's polluted, the regular art ones have it too.

Bloomburrow
No non-animal creatures on this plane. No humans.

Thunder Junction
As mentioned above, Committing Crimes is a mechanic.

Two bonus sheets:
* Normal bonus sheet, reprints of cards that commit crimes, 1 per pack, only legal in the formats they are legal in and Limited.

* "Oko's Vault," was originally going to be an "Aftermath" set but they said gently caress that after it bombed and included them as List cards along with Special Guest cards. These are all mythics and ARE Standard legal.

They didn't explain what Plot was on purpose

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

flatluigi posted:

oh lol are people genuinely mad about the name

Idk does thinking it’s gross and tone deaf mean people are “mad?”

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Thoughtsieze is just the dumbest card.

Rakdos Midrange is just the dumbest deck in Pioneer

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

All the new stuff looks cool. The new Emrakul seems designed to piss off most people who play commander lol.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Not to mention if they're actually instants or sorceries rather than creatures they probably won't be near as main deckable, unless there's some really bonkers effects I suppose

edit: I guess it really depends actually, something like chord of calling with a sac that could be played for free would be pretty great. But I guess green is already gone

Cultivate for "free" could potentially be pretty strong. Eating a Grazer -> Cultivate is decently explosive. This is a neat way to handle free spells, it's interesting that some colours have an easier time just having some coloured junky permanent to throw away than others. Is the blue one going to be extra strong?

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 23, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The winter cycle of basic lands should be snow lands. That blue basic mountain not being snow is just a whiff. Nothing bad happens if you throw snow in.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The vampires list is a yawn fest.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Loucks posted:

tell me why a lightning bolt to the face being considered a crime is gross and tone deaf

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

tell me why a lightning bolt to the face being considered a crime is gross and tone deaf

Can't speak to how it is tone deaf or not, but if someone shot a lightning bolt in my face I sure as poo poo would want to see them get arrested.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Loucks posted:

On the internet, more often than not, yes.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

quote:

The second bonus sheet is 'The Vault.' Originally the set was going to have an Epilogue set called 'The Big Score.' But instead, we've moved them into the set with a bonus sheet. These cards represent items found in "The Vault" which Oko and his gang are after. #MTGThunder

Haha, all the bitching about Aftermath already having tangible effects as they scrap doing additional small sets like that. Honestly, good on them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Can we get a Chandra themed RDW archetype to be named 'Be Gay, Do Crimes'?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Loucks posted:

Yes, 100%

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Can't speak to how it is tone deaf or not, but if someone shot a lightning bolt in my face I sure as poo poo would want to see them get arrested.

Ok wt

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Gonna print out a bunch of "Lightning Bolt Is Not A Crime" bumper stickers and plaster them all over my deckboxes like I'm a 90's skater.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

fadam posted:

All the new stuff looks cool. The new Emrakul seems designed to piss off most people who play commander lol.

Cultivate for "free" could potentially be pretty strong. Eating a Grazer -> Cultivate is decently explosive. This is a neat way to handle free spells, it's interesting that some colours have an easier time just having some coloured junky permanent to throw away than others. Is the blue one going to be extra strong?

Yeah I guess that's true actually, since your T1 could be Grazer for an extra land drop, cultivate for ANOTHER land drop and have 3 land in play on T2 with a guaranteed 4th land to play that turn

Also I saw MH3 is printing a new elf that taps for G for every elf you control, so I've changed my mind and modern horizons is good now (so long as they keep printing more tribal support)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Yeah I guess that's true actually, since your T1 could be Grazer for an extra land drop, cultivate for ANOTHER land drop and have 3 land in play on T2 with a guaranteed 4th land to play that turn

Also I saw MH3 is printing a new elf that taps for G for every elf you control, so I've changed my mind and modern horizons is good now (so long as they keep printing more tribal support)

Priest of Titania isn't new, it's a reprint from Urza's Saga.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Swords to Plowshares had been declared a "crime" by Wizards of the Coast. The onward march of the military industrial complex continues.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Priest of Titania isn't new, it's a reprint from Urza's Saga.

oh, I didn't realize. I'm still on the fence then :hmmyes:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

Swords to Plowshares had been declared a "crime" by Wizards of the Coast. The onward march of the military industrial complex continues.

What is I use the one with the lemon Rus?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'd joke about them reprinting Murder already so that murder is criminalized but I don't think there's anything funnier they could do in that way than they already are by putting crime//punishment in the bonus sheet

crime is in fact a crime

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

oh, I didn't realize. I'm still on the fence then :hmmyes:

Also, it taps for G for each elf on the battlefield, not each elf you control. :buddy:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GonSmithe posted:

* "Oko's Vault," was originally going to be an "Aftermath" set but they said gently caress that after it bombed and included them as List cards along with Special Guest cards. These are all mythics and ARE Standard legal.

So those sets are confirmed never happening again?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The regular, uncurled version is $280 for all four, which is fine I guess. At least it's better than the Commander Legends price.

Rinkles posted:

So those sets are confirmed never happening again?

They are, the Assasin's Creed set is coming in tiny boosters
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/a-first-look-at-magic-the-gathering-assassins-creed

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 23, 2024

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Isn't crime already "cast cards that your opponent owns"? Or is that a niche naming?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mildly excited for cards based around land creatures. They've been slooooowly putting 2-3 cards every set that push synergy for it forever, but it's never been quite viable enough to really build around. Horizon's seems like a good place to give that archetype better 1-3 drops that can really make it hum.

Get hosed $600 for magic cards

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Magic is commander now and you can tell because interaction is a crime

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Khanstant posted:

The winter cycle of basic lands should be snow lands. That blue basic mountain not being snow is just a whiff. Nothing bad happens if you throw snow in.

I believe the reasoning is that the design team thinks that the basic act of adding snow lands to a set indicates to players snow mana is something that’s going to be mechanically important. Therefore, if the set actually doesn’t use snow mana, adding snow lands just makes it easier for players to get confused. Honestly, that line of reasoning makes sense to me :shrug:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

those were supposed to be in aftermath style boosters, but they changed it as well

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

now that's a crime

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Will we have Detective / crime interaction in this next set

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

da vinci is a a magic card

This made me feel nostalgic that in some ways we've gone full circle to back to Arabian Nights, but for modern video game properties.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
we've also circled back to absolutely incredible regular person card names like Uncle Istvan

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

da vinci is a a magic card

This made me feel nostalgic that in some ways we've gone full circle to back to Arabian Nights, but for modern video game properties.

Countdown to the F/GO art swap.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, if anything that targets or affects an opponent's overall game state is a crime, what's the most offensive possible deck that's committing the fewest crimes?

Is it, like, mono-green or green/white Big Beefy Boys with giant numbers? Even those guys have to commit a crime eventually to win, but if you play it right you're only committing it once.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think combat damage is considered a crime?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

kurona_bright posted:

I believe the reasoning is that the design team thinks that the basic act of adding snow lands to a set indicates to players snow mana is something that’s going to be mechanically important. Therefore, if the set actually doesn’t use snow mana, adding snow lands just makes it easier for players to get confused. Honestly, that line of reasoning makes sense to me :shrug:

I mean if you put snow on a land card it's confusing when it's not snow. I think it's mostly a problem for cards from before snow lands existed. Imo if you see snow it's snow land. There is already a mechanic to support this art based approach too.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Cleretic posted:

So, if anything that targets or affects an opponent's overall game state is a crime, what's the most offensive possible deck that's committing the fewest crimes?

Is it, like, mono-green or green/white Big Beefy Boys with giant numbers? Even those guys have to commit a crime eventually to win, but if you play it right you're only committing it once.

Stax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

unforgivable. punishment is death. other crimes pale in comparison.